ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2017: NORCAL PLAYOFFS

Mr. Direct

Sports Fanatic
Sep 11, 2012
Even in a slightly down year overall the league represented well in the the section and regional playoffs. Now that St. Francis' stellar class will have graduated and their perch atop the league will be no longer, it will be interesting to see who takes that spot. Here are my thoughts going into the offseason (barring key transfers, injuries etc.)

1.) St. Ignatius - Loaded with talent at the lower levels they will be a force for at least the next two years. It's been a while since a City team was a pre-season favorite to win league. Last one I can think of was SHC for the 2008-2009 season.

2.) SHC - Highest talent level 1-5. Bench/coaching/effort levels could derail this group. Otherwise a contender for league crown.

3.) Serra- The label of "coach getting the most out of their players" gets thrown around way too much. There is only 1 coach that does that year in and year out in this league. That is Coach Rapp. They lose a lot of leadership from this state championship bunch but in Rapp We Trust.

4/5.) Mitty/Bellarmine - Some key pieces lost for both teams but top players return as well (Grigsby, Peterson, Athens, Wojick).

6.) St. Francis - They lose a LOT. Will rely heavily on Logan Johnson next year.

7.) Valley Christian - This may be the year to jump out of the cellar. Return 3 best players IMO.

8.) Riordan - Big talent losses due to graduation hurt a very thin program. Not much returning besides James Chun.

Reactions: drmarkppd
Guard play is vitally important at every level and Bellarmine returns two good ones. I would push them higher up in the standings.

Reactions: Mr. Direct
2.) SHC - Highest talent level 1-5. Bench/coaching/effort levels could derail this group. Otherwise a contender for league crown.

If the Irish play disciplined ball for the entire game and stay focused, they'll roll over everybody. Can't argue with the talent, so it's all on the coaching. As for SI, they'll be weaker than last year. 6th place at best.

And fool-butt... Take your meds. I'm surprised Riordan's administration hasn't complained about you yet.

Last edited:
If the Irish play disciplined ball for the entire game and stay focused, they'll roll over everybody. Can't argue with the talent, so it's all on the coaching. As for SI, they'll be weaker than last year. 6th place at best.

Disagree. Trammell, Beckman, and Redmond all as sophs this year will be even better next year. They have two things going for them: consistency and chemistry. You wish our trio of Hollins, Robinson, and whoever you want to put in as the 3rd banana whether its Dunbar or Carter, can be as cohesive. Only Hollins is the consistent one. That alone will get you in the middle of the WCAL pack. I would have SI going as high as 2nd place in league to as low as 5th.

Great trio of guards for Cats, but they will be lacking a veteran post present. A year away. I've learned not to doubt Rapp. I dont expect any different from Irish, but the league will be down in the paint, so they just may surprise.

Reading the moronic "Fighting Irish" spokesman IrishCheers comments about sports is like listening to the looney crack addled street preachers on Market St. "SHC is going to roll over everybody and SI will be weaker" are the rants of a complete fool. IrishCheers, It's Barbour's fault if the BB team has a year where they "only" go to Norcals but yet its not the coach's fault if the FB team has an ongoing 22 game WCAL losing streak spanning the past four years? Do I have that right? Leave the library computer and go get in line at Glide Memorial.

Irish Cheers- A lot of changes happening to the basketball program. Word will come out tomorrow. Some good /Some bad.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Irish Cheers- A lot of changes happening to the basketball program. Word will come out tomorrow. Some good /Some bad.
I heard Barbour was let go but didn't want to post anything based on rumor but it looks like you heard the same.

One WCAL Title. Five CCS titles. Three Norcal titles. One State championship title. Two additional state championship game appearances in the last five years. Maybe he left voluntarily.

One WCAL Title. Five CCS titles. Three Norcal titles. One State championship title. Two additional state championship game appearances in the last five years. Maybe he left voluntarily.
He resigned to take over the football team :D

Any word on who could take over at SHC?
So I just spoke to Menlo-Atherton coach Mike Molieri who confirmed he is 'ABSOLUTELY INTERESTED' in speaking with SH administration only if the interest is mutual. Molieri took M-A to the NorCal Finals before losing to Berkeley. Its not as far fetched as it may seem as I've previously noted his teams play WCAL caliber defense and his experience as an assistant to the Dr during the Rob Jones/Camacho era can't be discounted. Also SHs last hire was from the PAL as well, as Barbour coached at Woodside. Interesting side note, if the Dr applies for the job as well and both receive interviews, you'd have Yoda and Young Skywalker to choose from. Does SH really want to have a Star Wars themed night, like M-A and HMB staged last December? Regardless, I'm sure there will be interesting names who show interest for this position in the City. Shouldn't be that hard to continue to recruit top talent to the heart of the Tenderloin. Now just need to put those recruits in a structured system that Irish Cheers has been lamenting about the last 2 years ;) May the Force Be With SH!

So I just spoke to Menlo-Atherton coach Mike Molieri who confirmed he is 'ABSOLUTELY INTERESTED' in speaking with SH administration only if the interest is mutual. Molieri took M-A to the NorCal Finals before losing to Berkeley. Its not as far fetched as it may seem as I've previously noted his teams play WCAL caliber defense and his experience as an assistant to the Dr during the Rob Jones/Camacho era can't be discounted. Also SHs last hire was from the PAL as well, as Barbour coached at Woodside. Interesting side note, if the Dr applies for the job as well and both receive interviews, you'd have Yoda and Young Skywalker to choose from. Does SH really want to have a Star Wars themed night, like M-A and HMB staged last December? Regardless, I'm sure there will be interesting names who show interest for this position in the City. Shouldn't be that hard to continue to recruit top talent to the heart of the Tenderloin. Now just need to put those recruits in a structured system that Irish Cheers has been lamenting about the last 2 years ;) May the Force Be With SH!

Thanks... I think. Just FYI, the school is in the Cathedral Hill district. The last time it was in the Fillmore was about 100 years ago.

I still haven't heard anything about the coaching position but wouldn't Brian Harrigan and LyRyan Russell make a good combo?

For once, I can agree. He's staying on as a faculty member.

Last edited:
For once, I can agree. Maybe he has a college offer somewhere. I'm keeping a look out.
Although unfortunate, this doesn't shock me. He seemed to be burnt out the last couple of years. The VC job is open and now SH. I've heard that a couple of others might be opening up as well...

THIS IS TOTALLY FABRICATED...

THIS IS TOTALLY FABRICATED...
My mistake. I forgot the conversation was suppose to be off the record along with the reasons why he thought a certain coach was not a good fit as well. Keep it 100;)

Just announced

Seamus
‏@SHCathletics
2h2 hours ago

After 9 seasons, 1 WCAL, 5 CCS, 3 NorCal & 1 state title and a 184-98 record, Darrell Barbour will not return as boys hoops coach in 16-17.

Just announced

Seamus
‏@SHCathletics
2h2 hours ago

After 9 seasons, 1 WCAL, 5 CCS, 3 NorCal & 1 state title and a 184-98 record, Darrell Barbour will not return as boys hoops coach in 16-17.

Pretty sly to do it on a Friday once school is out, so no one can be held accountable to answer the basic quiestion, Huh? Why? When? Who's next? Think the last organization to do that was when the Niners put Kap on IR ending his season on a Fri as Trent realized no one would be around in the office the next 2 days to get questions answered. Well played Irish! ;)

Pretty sly to do it on a Friday once school is out, so no one can be held accountable to answer the basic quiestion, Huh? Why? When? Who's next? Think the last organization to do that was when the Niners put Kap on IR ending his season on a Fri as Trent realized no one would be around in the office the next 2 days to get questions answered. Well played Irish! ;)

The Twitter feed also said he would stay on as a faculty member.

Barbour is a good man and a good role model for young men..I wonder how his leaving will impact the program...

Barbour is a good man and a good role model for young men..I wonder how his leaving will impact the program...
Lee, youve seen this program during the Perez era and now Barbour. Who would you like to see them go after? What type if coach is needed there? Seems like Barbour may not have gotten League results, but his post season acumen and titles soeaks for itself. Your thoughts?

I wonder if any of the assistants will get any consideration? I personally know Demetrius Jackson a little - he's a great motivator, good coach -- hope he gets a shot!

Secondly, I wonder if any of the players will be transferring to Riordan or elsewhere and will the SF Rebels pipeline continue unabated especially if a more conservative / slow it down style of coach is brought in?

I'm struggling to understand this move if this was, in fact, initiated by SHC. Barbour's record speaks for itself. Perhaps we are not aware of the whole story. Question: when do the players become accountable?

Coach is a great guy and if he wants to coach again he will get a job easy. I agree Jordan about holding the players accountable and I would throw in the PARENTS as well. Rumors about SHCP transfer are all around the AAU circuit, but they were out their last year as well. So we shall see....I know that one parent is shopping his kid around to other WCAL teams.

I wonder if any of the assistants will get any consideration? I personally know Demetrius Jackson a little - he's a great motivator, good coach -- hope he gets a shot!

Secondly, I wonder if any of the players will be transferring to Riordan or elsewhere and will the SF Rebels pipeline continue unabated especially if a more conservative / slow it down style of coach is brought in?

I don't think SHC will lose talent in the basketball realm....SHC is known for basketball...and I doubt they will bring in someone more conservative to replace Barbour. Time will tell, and more answers forthcoming...SH better have a plan because it is tough to replace Barbour without an explanation.

If I was the AD at SHCP i would hire Laryan Russell as the boys coach and then hire his sister to coach the girls...Coach P was my guy. I have made love and respect for him. He was a good guy and I am glad he coached my sons. Barbour. I was skeptical at first. But again. He is a good man. He lets his players play and that is important. Sure, he had a few issues with the x and o's. But he was a good communicator with the players and they all liked him. From the starters to the bench guys.

If they bring in the wrong person, (a non-communicator) it might be a few problems....Also kids always talk about transferring every year. That is what happens at every high school program that is good. And they do it for various reasons. You can't get caught up in that, because during my time around the program, several kids were rumored to be leaving, only to be remain there.

Superle...I thought about that too...The Russells would be a good fit. Lryan is like a younger modern Barbour, great communicator. Do you think Mr. Russell could make the transition from girls' to boys? More importantly, do you think he would want to? Do you think Ms. Russell is ready to take the girls program? The girls have a solid nucleus for a few years...the boys' have some talent too, next years' group has one last year to make it real. The school must have a plan, they wouldn't just let go of someone like Barbour without some direction of how they want the program to go or have some ideas to replace him. I hope Barbour continues to coach at the lower levels..it would let him spend more time at home.

Last edited:
Lee, youve seen this program during the Perez era and now Barbour. Who would you like to see them go after? What type if coach is needed there? Seems like Barbour may not have gotten League results, but his post season acumen and titles soeaks for itself. Your thoughts?
Barbour finished in the top 3 of league 5 times in 9 years with 1 Championship. Obviously he had good league results during his tenure. I just think this past season especially he seemed burned out. I and others mentioned it during the season, even early on. Great guy, good coach but just at the end of his time at SHC.
SHC League Finish under Barbour
2nd
1st
5th
2nd
3rd
3rd
5th
4th
6th

Looks like a steadying decline to me LOL (I'm kidding) I don't know the man, but from what everything that's been said he did it the right way there. Kudos for him and now the Irish need to find someone to fill those shoes. But who, when they had such a quality guy there already. Got to find the right match, may Alloco will take the job? ;)

Looks like a steadying decline to me LOL (I'm kidding) I don't know the man, but from what everything that's been said he did it the right way there. Kudos for him and now the Irish need to find someone to fill those shoes. But who, when they had such a quality guy there already. Got to find the right match, may Alloco will take the job? ;)
Allocco would be a great choice if he doesn't stay at USF.

Allocco would be great. He is not going to put up with any BS which is what SCHP needs.

serdaprs...what was the good? we know the bad for now?
Scott, A 6'8" transfer from stockton is heading to a City school near you. All 3 schools are in the running. Heard Riordan is the front runner (doesn't coach Buckner always seem to get a transfer just about the right time.) But he is also looking at SI and SHCP.

Reactions: Scott2138
And play for who? Lol. Need a coach in place before you can recruit a transfer ;)

True but since the whole team is coming back except for one Senior and the other City teams won't be as strong. That could outweigh whomever may coach. Here's hoping for someone good.

Last edited:
If he wants to play for the best team he knows where to go.
SI right? Three returning soph's that know how to play with a 6'8" post would be dangerous. Hard to use the phrase "best team" coming off a 4-10 season. SH is a dumpster fire. Riordan just doesn't have any talent coming back other than Chun and the frosh point guard.

True but since the whole team is coming back except for one Senior and the other City teams won't be as strong that could outweigh whomever may coach. Here's hoping for someone good.

If Allocco comes it would be a nice landing....but I also would be happy if Russell wanted to coach the boys too. Seeing SHC doesn't have a coach just yet could be a set back for the Stockton 6'8 kid. But as IC says, with the whole team coming back as seniors and with a monster addition, you can almost taste it..;)
Honestly, for next year SHC team only, barring any big changes other than coaching....any athletic freshman kid that is 6'5 or more will be a solid improvement as long as playing D is his specialty. The offensive stuff can come later.

Scott, A 6'8" transfer from stockton is heading to a City school near you. All 3 schools are in the running. Heard Riordan is the front runner (doesn't coach Buckner always seem to get a transfer just about the right time.) But he is also looking at SI and SHCP.

Thanks, Good info to know...a 6'8 kid with the stud Hollins would be monstrous. Hoping the best for him and he chooses the school that suits him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT