ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2017: NORCAL PLAYOFFS

Mitty loses to Castro Valley on the road by double digits?!? Riordan has a comeback road win playing a Frosh and several sophs vs CV and w/o Chun who has been out the last 4 games. SF loses to Vanden by double digits. Serra blows out Burlingame. Bells are rolling. SI is racking up wins. VC has only 2 losses but SOS not so strong with the exception of their 18 pt loss @ Salesian. SHC has its share of wins. WCAL may be more competitive throughout after all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
As we head into the WCAL grind this week, here's my predicted order of finish based on non-league SOS, injuries, team improvement/upside:
  1. Mitty
  2. S.I.
  3. Bellarmine
  4. St. Francis
  5. Serra
  6. Riordan
  7. SHC
  8. VC

Last edited:
Reactions: CityVibesII
As we head into the WCAL grind this week, here's my predicted order of finish based on non-league SOS, injuries, team improvement/upside:
  1. Mitty
  2. S.I.
  3. Bellarmine
  4. St. Francis
  5. Serra
  6. Riordan
  7. SHC
  8. VC
1. Bellarmine
2. Mitty
3. SI
4. SHC
5. Riordan
6. Serra
7. SF
8. VC

Reactions: Scott2138
1. Bellarmine 2 D-1 guards and Stubblefield playing well
2. SF -Johnson and a big
3. MITTY -very good shooters and size
4. SI a lot of bigs
5. VC too many shooters and a big man
6. SHC athletes all over the place
7. Serra big man and some solid guards
8. Riordan - one good player, but will be competitive

Now that the pre-season dust has settled here is my predicted order of finish:

1. Mitty - Toughest pre-season schedule IMO. Preps them for league.
2. Bellarmine - The emergence of Stubblefield has given them the third weapon.
3. SI - Too much talent despite coaching question marks.
4. Valley Christian - This is not a typo.
5. St. Francis - Logan Johnson leads this team that is playing well together.
6. Serra - No Rapp this season really hurts them. Young team needed him.
7. SHC - Dunbar injury set them back. Will need him to upset some teams.
8. Riordan - Extremely soft pre-season. Nice win against Castro Valley. I heard they were missing players though.

Now that the pre-season dust has settled here is my predicted order of finish:

1. Mitty - Toughest pre-season schedule IMO. Preps them for league.
2. Bellarmine - The emergence of Stubblefield has given them the third weapon.
3. SI - Too much talent despite coaching question marks.
4. Valley Christian - This is not a typo.
5. St. Francis - Logan Johnson leads this team that is playing well together.
6. Serra - No Rapp this season really hurts them. Young team needed him.
7. SHC - Dunbar injury set them back. Will need him to upset some teams.
8. Riordan - Extremely soft pre-season. Nice win against Castro Valley. I heard they were missing players though.
Riordan beat CV w/o Chun. Not sure if CV missed any players, but did beat Mitty by double digits a few days later. Looking forward to league play.

BEST GAME OF OPENING NIGHT (1/4/17)

Mitty @ Bellarmine - Mitty +4

Other Games
Riordan @ SI - Wildcats -12
SHC @ Serra - Serra -5
SF @ Valley Christian - VC -8

Pretty cool seeing the former pro's or D1 college guys kids grow up here and star. Stubblefield, Grisby, Shaw. Before you know it the Curry's will be probably playing somewhere.

Other Games
SHC @ Serra - Serra -5

Mitty @ Bellarmine (Mitty -3)
Riordan @ SI (SI -18.5)
SHC @ Serra (SHC -1.5)
SF @ Valley Christian (SF -2)

Other Games
SHC @ Serra - Serra -5

I got Mitty in a close one over the Bells, SI in a romp over Riordan :-( , Serra over SHC in Coach MacKay's WCAL opener and possible Coach Rapp return, and St Francis over VC in a warm welcome to the WCAL for Coach DeLuca.

Reactions: Mr. Direct
Just checked in on Serra - SHP game & Serra up by 17 with a minute to go. Surprised how many fans in posts picked SHC over Serra in league standings. From what I briefly saw it wasn;t even close. Serra with good guard play and a 7'1 post player - I mean how bad would Serra have to be to lose to SHC? I think the Serra-Burlingame game was a good indicator as BGame is not a bad team. DOn;t get me wrong as Serra is no powerhouse by any means, but the big guy simply offsets any team that is similar in talent.

Just checked in on Serra - SHC game . From what I briefly saw it wasn't even close. Serra with good guard play and a 7'1 post player - I think the Serra-Burlingame game was a good indicator as BGame is not a bad team. Don't get me wrong as Serra is no powerhouse by any means, but the big guy simply offsets any team that is similar in talent.

I knew SHC would miss Alfred Hollins but these guys looked lost out there. Serra doesn't have to be "bad" to lose to SHC. The Irish have to be cohesive and play like a team and I'm not seeing it.

SI beat Riordan 71-57
St. Francis beat Valley Christian 82-69
Bellarmine beat Mitty 70-58

Last edited:
I know we'd miss Alfred Hollins but these guys looked lost out there.

SI beat Riordan 71-57
Bellarmine is good. Really good.

Seems like Valley Christian still can't play defense! What is in the water in south San Jose?!

SI called off the dogs against Riordan up 20.

Serra manhandled SHC. Looks like it's clearly them and Riordan fighting to avoid the cellar.

I know we'd miss Alfred Hollins but these guys looked lost out there.

SI beat Riordan 71-57

This was a BAD offensive showing for the IRISH... I think Robinson was 3-12 overall and you can tell that the younger guys can play a little bit but you will not beat Serra by trying to go 1 on 5 on ISO ball, we've seen that movie before... It was a rude awakening for the team and coaches and Serra is not even a typical Serra team, they are a little down this year... Will be a long year for the Irish and I hope they get a better flow on offense with more ball movement and player movement or they will score in the 30s or 40's all year long... it's fair to say it was ugly to watch... the sophomore played the best for them tonight... they looked very overmatched...

I was at the Riordan - SI game tonight. The Crusaders played them tough for a half and were only down by seven at half-time. Then the third quarter happened and the Trammel and Beckman show took the game over and before Riordan knew it SI was up by over twenty and the rout was on! Trammel was Trevor Dunbar incarnate while Beckman conjured up memories of Johnny Mrlik (bit of a reach on that last comparison)......

Jaedon Roberts is a beast and Riordan had trouble matching his physicality on the low post. I thought that Riordan played reasonably well but SI's big 3 was just too much.

I was at the Riordan - SI game tonight. The Crusaders played them tough for a half and were only down by seven at half-time. Then the third quarter happened and the Trammel and Beckman show took the game over and before Riordan knew it SI was up by over twenty and the rout was on! Trammel was Trevor Dunbar incarnate while Beckman conjured up memories of Johnny Mrlik (bit of a reach on that last comparison)......

Jaedon Roberts is a beast and Riordan had trouble matching his physicality on the low post. I thought that Riordan played reasonably well but SI's big 3 was just too much.
Riordan was in it the first half and Trammel was a non-factor and saddled with 3 fouls. 2nd half SI ran their offense very well and the Cherry trio were hitting their shots with Trammel lighting it up from 3 pt range. Riordan's soph center did a lot better against Roberts than Sandoval. Frosh Jelani Clark had some flashes. Outside shooting was off for the Crusaders trio of Chun, Ugbaja and Palaad. This team should be much improved come sectional play.

I think theres enough a sample size now to make this assessment about SH: They have a hard time scoring. Although I do like Robinson not chucking it up from long 3 and making his move to the left or right free throw line shot. However this seems to be the only play SH ran yesterday. Obvious, if you have a small team and your center isnt known for any offense in the paint, seeing a 7'1 guy makes you think twice about taking those inside shots. Outside shots didnt go. I'd like to see more Emmett Neal as a scoring option. I think he can develop as a kid that can score a whole bunch of ways.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I think theres enough a sample size now to make this assessment about SH: They have a hard time scoring. Although I do like Robinson not chucking it up from long 3 and making his move to the left or right free throw line shot. However this seems to be the only play SH ran yesterday. Obvious, if you have a small team and your center isnt known for any offense in the paint, seeing a 7'1 guy makes you think twice about taking those inside shots. Outside shots didnt go. I'd like to see more Emmett Neal as a scoring option. I think he can develop as a kid that can score a whole bunch of ways.
Some time in the weight room wouldn't hurt either.

Week 1 Game #2 1/7/17

GAME OF THE NIGHT

St. Ignatius @ St. Francis - I have SF winning a close one but wouldn't be surprised if SI wins if Jaedon Roberts isn't slowed down. Not sure if Tyler Manoa is available for the Lancers.

Other games:
Valley Christian @ Riordan - A winnable game for the Crusaders at home. VC gave up 82 at home Wednesday night. Riordan gets a must needed win.

Serra @ Mitty - Mitty seems to be slipping but they are at home for this one so I am picking them to get the win. Let's see if the Monarchs can get back on track.

Bellarmine @ SHC - Can SH keep it under a 20 points loss?

At the half, Bells 28 SHC 26.
Looks like the return of Mello Dunbar made a little difference but now SHC struggling at end of three down 46-34... Saw a parent of one of their best players walk out after saying I can't watch this anymore... Hope they show up with some pride to compete at the Bruce and better yet throw in a game plan.

Looks like the return of Mello Dunbar made a little difference but now SHC struggling at end of three down 46-34... Saw a parent of one of their best players walk out after saying I can't watch this anymore... Hope they show up with some pride to compete at the Bruce and better yet throw in a game plan.
I don't blame that parent for walking out. Irish made too many unforced errors. They played much better than they did against Serra. The 18-8 third quarter did it. The other quarters were close.

SHC JV's won 53-49. Jack Sinkovitz with good rebounding and a slam dunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5MatchUp
Well SHC kept it under 20...

Riordan loses to Valley Christian 54-44. Their 6'9" big man Jay Allen Tovar didn't play. Considering Valley gave up 82 to SF on Wednesday the Crusaders did not look good.

SF loses to SI 77-72. Big road win for SI. They are for real.

Mitty gets back on track with a home win against Serra 55-46.

Crusader shooters could not hit the side of a barn again. Riordan really struggling right now, though the effort and hustle is still there.

I don't blame that parent for walking out. Irish made too many unforced errors. They played much better than they did against Serra. The 18-8 third quarter did it. The other quarters were close.

Man SHC has some toxic posters!

Reactions: 5MatchUp
After seeing Riordan play twice this year, I couldn't see them finishing anywhere, but last place. They have a lot of young inexperienced players. No size at all. Only one real outside threat. And Most of players could use an offseason in the weight room. Not hating just a real observation.
I am surprised they lost but 10 at home to VC. Whom apparently didn't have Tovar playing, 6'8" double double machine. Thought VC would win a close one with him playing.
This does note bode well for Crusaders forward. They lost arguably the most winnable game on WCAL schedule.

As for SH, it will take a while for the coach to mesh with Kids and Vice Versa. I see them progressing on through CCS

A Parent walking out during the middle of a game because of a performance, is horrible. This is Terrible if his kid saw. The kid either thinks his dad is quitting on him or he doesn't believe in the coach. Both, are a abysmal showing of role modeling!! Seriously Deplorable behavior

A Parent walking out during the middle of a game because of a performance, is horrible. This is Terrible if his kid saw. The kid either thinks his dad is quitting on him or he doesn't believe in the coach. Both, are a abysmal showing of role modeling!! Seriously Deplorable behavior

Irish Cheers agrees with said action, nice support and fan base. SMH!

There was one that I saw walk but it was a mother. If I leave early, it's because the game is on the wrong end of a blow-out. I stayed until the end of this one. (Don't SYH too hard, snowflake, you'll get whiplash).

Last edited:
And Most of players could use an offseason in the weight room.
Chun seems to have spent too much time in the weight room. His stroke looks completely different and has missed a significant amount of open shots.

Chun seems to have spent too much time in the weight room. His stroke looks completely different and has missed a significant amount of open shots.
That is why I said most. He is the one player that doesn't need time in the weight room.
He also is their number one option, which most coach's will try and take away

Reactions: jordan24

Riordan missed DeSean Johnson last night (injured) - he seems to be their only big man who can stand up to any of the opposing bigs. An undersized poor shooting team doesn't bode well for league play. Riordan scored 4 points in first quarter / 14 points total in first half - Chun had an off night shooting the ball and is still rounding into shape / form as he missed significant time before league play.

Reactions: jordan24
cats looking pretty good so far. worth nothing that they have good-looking JV team out there with two 6'6" guards and 4 sophomores playing varsity and doing well. very excited to see what this team will do in the near future

I wonder since people mentioned about a SHC player getting expelled and other things led to the demise of the basketball program with Barbour. Maybe, now we can surmise Barbour really didn't have control of the team as well as we thought or get them to play together. I still respect his body of work, he is a good coach. However, with the team not getting along and not playing well, I could actually see why the administration decided to go with a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT