ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL City Teams

CityVibesII

Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2003
What is state of WCAL City teams;

At SHC, I noticed that JV, and both frosh teams are a collective 1-27 after first week of WCAL schedule. How does this translate to varsity over next few years. I know their varsity (if they remain in tact) will be pretty good next year, but what's coming up? I guess they are always good in bringing in a few kids to supplement their varsity. But the continuity of program is built strictly on varsity success and anything after that a bonus.

Riordan is struggling at lower levels as well and doesnt have the depth to ride the Stansberry train when he not playing well. Saturday was perfect example. He missed close to10 out of control lay-ups and crucial free-throws in a game the team should have won in regulation.

SI seems to be dominating the lower levels, but will that translate to the varsity in a couple years? I like Marcheletti's enthusiam. He has a lot of role players right now and needs just a ringer or two to get them to upper level of WCAL again.

I guess the question is, do WCAL teams (in general) build from the bottom or is it just about the varsity? I understand that varsity is all that matters, but how does a team maintain success at that level? I look at Serra as a model for program building.

I think they should concentrate on improving at all levels, but in SHC's case at least, last year's best frosh were on the varsity and there's another one this year. Their next two varsity teams should be good with most of their people returning and maybe three good players from the lower levels contributing as well. With lower level players playing on the varsity, it gives the illusion that the Frosh & JV's are not very good but with a glut of underclassmen on the varsity next season, perhaps we'll see freshmen & sophs playing at their respective levels.

It is really hard to say if lower levels really translate well in varsity years. I remember distinctly SHC had a 20-1, maybe it was 2011, Freshman A team...but when they went to junior varsity, the record was not even close to that. Sometimes the success of the lower level teams are because they rally around one player, doing most of the scoring, or defensive things etc. I agree with Irish Cheers, with the amount of young players SHC has on the varsity next year, it probably is safe to say, most of the lower classes will stay where they are allowing more chemistry if anything. It is not every year you get two big freshman ready to play on the varsity. So we will see how the analysis goes, but presently, there does seem like a lot of purging from the lower levels to fill the varsity program.

What will be interesting is the SH girls' varsity team next year as well. The program has 9 or 10 freshman on the Jv team and they are undefeated at the moment. I think they really got a standout group or class there.

This post was edited on 2/10 3:36 PM by Scott2138

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT