ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL recap from April 10

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
St. Francis beat Sacred Heart Cathedral 18-1. Blake Billinger had a home run and 5 RBI.

Mitty beat Riordan 4-0. Joe Cahn and Max Werner each had two hits. Tommy Hudson picked up the win with 3.1 innings of relief work.

Serra beat Valley Christian 3-2. Matt Blais threw a complete game with five strikeouts. The result leaves St. Francis and Mitty is a co-lead in the WCAL.

As you will soon tell, there is a certain "letter" not working on our key boar . Apologies.

You might as well throw in Fri ays 14-0 lost to Valley Christian.

Irish Cheers if youre longing for the ominance of the 50-70's, you'll just not fin it. Baseball hasn't been relevant to SHC for over 30 years an the a ministration is O.K. with that probably calling it a cost of oing a lot of other things at the school well.

It is easy to say that lack of quality out oor facilities is the problem. Most of their in oor sports have excelle since the opening of their on-site facility.

There coaching staff at the varsity level is very experienced, but they have for years lacked any continuity at the lower levels. Their summer program is very successful, but when it comes time for those ki s to pick a high school they are going elsewhere.

San Francisco is not a solid base to get quality ball players (same for football) to compete in WCAL. Throw in that both SI and Rior an have or will soon make significant improvements to baseball infrastructure, there is little interest of any " ecent" City ball player to want to play at SHC. Throw in that they have to go own to South San Francisco for practice an games, who woul want to play at SHC? 7th/8th baseball players ont look at SHC as a baseball school like their fathers. SI's recent success has put them in the program most San Francisco ki s want to play in.

SHC failure to secure the fiel in the City (particular the one in the Presi io many years ago) set SHC baseball (an other outoor sports) back in efinately. The schools hierchy wont a mit it but the proof is in the sauce with the results of their out oor sports. SI with Fairmont (an having CYO play there); Rior an making improvements to their on-site facility (which too will allow potential ballplayers to play at a high school fiel ), things will just get worst at SHC.

This post was edited on 4/12 10:06 AM by CityVibesII

Can't fully disagree. They do have the baseball academy and new batting cages. I don't know why they can't practice at that park nearby. SHC did have some success in the CCS, winning it in 1998 and at least making runs in the playoffs since then.

You're so right about the administration not caring about baseball. The guys beat SI this season at AT&T but more often than not, that game will mean the Bruce-Mahoney Trophy winner so that compounds the problem as to why they won't push baseball. The biggest blunder was the Presidio. Turning that into a first-class facility would have worked wonders. It really makes me sick. I've seen over 100 games since school.

I saw last weekend's game at SH Prep. Nice new stands, concessions, broadcast booth, artificial surface and a scoreboard. The first thing I thought is that it would look so good at The Presidio.

Also, if they want more participation, they should drop lacrosse.

Sorry about your "d".
This post was edited on 4/14 12:36 PM by Irish_Cheers

Just talked to an baseball alum down peninsula today who's kids played at Serra. He said SHC baseball program has two strikes against them even before they get on field. They should consider independent schedule like football team did years ago.

I believe Morgan and his staff are good; just doesn't get enough quality baseball players. Nice kids who like to play baseball but not baseball players. There is a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT