ADVERTISEMENT

Week 3 Scoreboard

Good point. There is no rationale for putting Serra above DLS until proven otherwise with games soon to come.
Agree 100% as the first 1/2 of the Serra-HMB game today was painful to watch. The HMB squad with approx. 30 players vs Serra's 75 actually outplayed the Padres in the first 1/2.. Serra led 14-7 at 1/2 after scoring a TD with seconds left in the 2nd quarter after a HMB turnover. Otherwise Padres did not impress with multiple penalties throughout incl personal fouls, off sides and had 3 fumbles incl on 1rst play on offense fumbling out of bounds after a loss on the play. Not to be too critical but Serra could not stop HMB's run game early on and Serra could not run on HMB when on offense in 1rst 1/2. Padres pass attack also was not effective with multiple throws into tight coverage [ie: "up for grabs".]. In the 2nd 1/2 Serra's size and rotation of players simply wore down the smaller squad from HMB & so literally 2 different 1/2's of football [I give HMB a lot of credit as well coached and executed much better than the Padres - though Serra a much larger team in numbers AND size took it toll on the Cougars in the 2nd 1/2 [much like the CCS playoff a few years ago - HMB led 14-7 at 1/2 and Serra blew them out in 2nd 1/2 winning 42-14].
So a resounding "NO" Serra should in no poll be put above St. Francis or DLS as it appeared today the Padres would be in deep trouble against either foe. I now wonder how the Pitt-Serra game would have ended after the Pirates manhandled VC last night...[?]

Reactions: padrewhipser
Agree 100% as the first 1/2 of the Serra-HMB game today was painful to watch. The HMB squad with approx. 30 players vs Serra's 75 actually outplayed the Padres in the first 1/2.. Serra led 14-7 at 1/2 after scoring a TD with seconds left in the 2nd quarter after a HMB turnover. Otherwise Padres did not impress with multiple penalties throughout incl personal fouls, off sides and had 3 fumbles incl on 1rst play on offense fumbling out of bounds after a loss on the play. Not to be too critical but Serra could not stop HMB's run game early on and Serra could not run on HMB when on offense in 1rst 1/2. Padres pass attack also was not effective with multiple throws into tight coverage [ie: "up for grabs".]. In the 2nd 1/2 Serra's size and rotation of players simply wore down the smaller squad from HMB & so literally 2 different 1/2's of football [I give HMB a lot of credit as well coached and executed much better than the Padres - though Serra a much larger team in numbers AND size took it toll on the Cougars in the 2nd 1/2 [much like the CCS playoff a few years ago - HMB led 14-7 at 1/2 and Serra blew them out in 2nd 1/2 winning 42-14].
So a resounding "NO" Serra should in no poll be put above St. Francis or DLS as it appeared today the Padres would be in deep trouble against either foe. I now wonder how the Pitt-Serra game would have ended after the Pirates manhandled VC last night...[?]
Pitt looks like a college team. They put a full game together and they can beat anybody in norcal. And even when they only put 1/2 together they are Better then most. As we
Know they are Pitt for a reason.

Reactions: THEOC89
Larry, LARRY! Wake up as yer dreamin" buddy! Ha, ha. I agreed with your previous post as right on about SF, then DLS & THEN Serra in rankings. Can Pitt take down DLS or St. Francis?? Big question & not sure I'd bet against either DLS or SF against Pitt after what I saw last night. Are you basing this opinion on CalPreps rating Pitt just slightly higher than DLS or Pitt in their ratings? As we now know DLS was rated miles above St. Francis prior to their game last night where SF's ratings were in the toilet pre-game... just sayin...]
Your predicts for Folsom-DLS?

Clayton Valley beats Liberty 14-13
Jesuit wallops Christian Brothers 44-0

I like the order but why Serra in front of DLS? Their wins over St Mary’s and MT are better than Palo Alto and assuming HMB
This is where a pollster is put in a tough position. Yes, they have to put St. Francis in front of DLS, but they would probably do so still thinking DLS was the better team.

Yes, the Lancers won the game, yada, yada, yada… whatever. If you had to bet the farm on a rematch, I can’t imagine any reasonable person would bet against the Spartans.

In terms of bowl rankings, I don’t think they necessarily have to follow the regular rankings. Had this argument with Mark Tennis. The criteria is simply different. SF, Serra, and Bellarmine all control their destiny over the Spartans for the bowl games, but that doesn’t mean any of them (except SF) should be listed above them in a state ranking list.

This is where a pollster is put in a tough position. Yes, they have to put St. Francis in front of DLS, but they would probably do so still thinking DLS was the better team.

Yes, the Lancers won the game, yada, yada, yada… whatever. If you had to bet the farm on a rematch, I can’t imagine any reasonable person would bet against the Spartans.

In terms of bowl rankings, I don’t think they necessarily have to follow the regular rankings. Had this argument with Mark Tennis. The criteria is simply different. SF, Serra, and Bellarmine all control their destiny over the Spartans for the bowl games, but that doesn’t mean any of them (except SF) should be listed above them in a state ranking list.
Yes. It gets tricky. Rank on pure on field results or a mix of results/who would win on a neutral field?

For bowl rankings, what side of the argument were you on?

Yes. It gets tricky. Rank on pure on field results or a mix of results/who would win on a neutral field?

For bowl rankings, I go exclusively by the rules presented by the CIF: Head-to-head, common opponents, then strength of schedule.

For regular rankings, I don’t really have a huge issue putting DLS back ahead of the Lancers if they beat Folsom and SF struggles against teams like St. Ignatius.

Here’s where I am right now:

1. St. Francis - because I think you have to

2. DLS - a loss to SF does not extrapolate to anyone else

3. Folsom - fans should not worry about their ranking right now, beat DLS, then start the discussion

4. Serra - games against Bellarmine and SF become critical, they should have figured out how to get their game against Pitt played like other teams did

5. Pittsburg - loss to Bulldogs keeps them here unless they win NCS title.

Doug, may I make one request for the rankings? Might you be able to put last week's rankings in () so that we could track movement?

Thanks.

Reactions: MC415
Doug, may I make one request for the rankings? Might you be able to put last week's rankings in () so that we could track movement?

Thanks.

Personally I like the way Streak is doing it now, current week results and overall year to date standings. It seems to me what he's doing is plenty of work for one person.

Plenty of season left for rankings. Personally I like how the BCS lets shit play out for several weeks before even releasing rankings. With things being fluid they are kinda pointless until last third of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT