Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Clayton Valley Charter at Oak Ridge

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • St. Bonaventure at Riordan

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Patterson at Menlo-Atherton

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Serra is a 35 pt favorite vs Central Catholic per Calpreps projections. Wow! Could this game be closer than their projections?

Manteca is a 16 pt underdog vs Rocklin. Maybe the Manteca loss vs St. Mary’s has an impact to this projection even though Manteca had shutout Granite Bay. Much doubt Bryson Davis returns for the Rocklin game and Rocklin is on a roll. Is Manteca that big an underdog without Davis? Note: Davis did not play vs Granite Bay.

Serra is a 35 pt favorite vs Central Catholic per Calpreps projections. Wow! Could this game be closer than their projections?

Manteca is a 16 pt underdog vs Rocklin. Maybe the Manteca loss vs St. Mary’s has an impact to this projection even though Manteca had shutout Granite Bay. Much doubt Bryson Davis returns for the Rocklin game and Rocklin is on a roll. Is Manteca that big an underdog without Davis? Note: Davis did not play vs Granite Bay.
@bulldogmgc , what type of offense does CC run? If I'm not mistaken, the Raiders are a run heavy team. If so, that is the Padre's strength as their LBs and overall team speed are arguably tops in NorCal.

bulldog - you trying to get CC players worked up? CalPreps doesn't start projections until Sept. 15th after teams have played at least 3-games. BUT if you're taking bets I'll take Central Catholic +35 vs the Padres, Lol!

@bulldogmgc , what type of offense does CC run? If I'm not mistaken, the Raiders are a run heavy team. If so, that is the Padre's strength as their LBs and overall team speed are arguably tops in NorCal.
Yes, the Raiders are a run heavy team. However, their QB has gotten better, and like Folsom’s QB, he is a dual threat. IMO, I think Wentworth is better than the Folsom QB Lyons just because he has more experience behind center. Lyons has more raw talent, no doubt. But, I honestly feel the pressure he was under against Serra as a sophomore was a bit much “early on” in that game. He ended with 17 of 27 for 240 yards and a TD in the air and 30 yards and a TD on the ground. Last year, Wentworth was 10 of 22 for 108 yards and 1 TD in the air while rushing for 26 yards and a TD on the ground. The Raiders had 156 yards rushing against the Padres D. Their RB Jacklich who graduated had 118 yards (4.7 ypc) and a TD, and the Raiders scored 30 points, which was the most vs the Padres last year outside of the Padres loss to SJB, nearly as much as Folsom and DLS combined (33 points total). Against St. Mary’s this year Wentworth passed for 246 yards and ran for 76 yards. CC used the Turlock scheme to stay in the game with St. Mary’s with play action. Confident Serra’s D will do much better. But, again, last year it was a different story where St. Mary’s shutdown CC’s offense and Serra had let CC be in the game with them. This year is still TBD. I’m not so impressed with Serra’s offense as much as their defense, but they should have an easier time vs CC’s defense than with Folsom’s and/or DLS’s defense. But, we’ll see. Gotta play the game on the field.

Yes, the Raiders are a run heavy team. However, their QB has gotten better, and like Folsom’s QB, he is a dual threat. IMO, I think Wentworth is better than the Folsom QB Lyons just because he has more experience behind center. Lyons has more raw talent, no doubt. But, I honestly feel the pressure he was under against Serra as a sophomore was a bit much “early on” in that game. He ended with 17 of 27 for 240 yards and a TD in the air and 30 yards and a TD on the ground. Last year, Wentworth was 10 of 22 for 108 yards and 1 TD in the air while rushing for 26 yards and a TD on the ground. The Raiders had 156 yards rushing against the Padres D. Their RB Jacklich who graduated had 118 yards (4.7 ypc) and a TD, and the Raiders scored 30 points, which was the most vs the Padres last year outside of the Padres loss to SJB, nearly as much as Folsom and DLS combined (33 points total). Against St. Mary’s this year Wentworth passed for 246 yards and ran for 76 yards. CC used the Turlock scheme to stay in the game with St. Mary’s with play action. Confident Serra’s D will do much better. But, again, last year it was a different story where St. Mary’s shutdown CC’s offense and Serra had let CC be in the game with them. This year is still TBD. I’m not so impressed with Serra’s offense as much as their defense, but they should have an easier time vs CC’s defense than with Folsom’s and/or DLS’s defense. But, we’ll see. Gotta play the game on the field.
Wentworth is ahead of Lyons right now and is every bit as good of athlete if not better. Isn’t he going to Clemson for baseball? I say 35-14 type game.. Folsom has better speed than CC.

I don't see Central getting beat like that. With the way they run the ball and Serra's offense not being wide open, I think this is a 7-14 point game. Also playing at home helps the Raiders where there last time I was there, the grass was LONG

I don't see Central getting beat like that. With the way they run the ball and Serra's offense not being wide open, I think this is a 7-14 point game. Also playing at home helps the Raiders where there last time I was there, the grass was LONG
CC should keep that grass long and watered down for Serra - just like Notre Dame used to do when Miami played them. lol

• Haha
Reactions: larry legend33
When I was putting this together, I thought this was the first week that didn't have an obvious game of the week. 9 of the 10 games have gotten a vote

Good points. And doesn’t CC have the big FSU o lineman anchoring those drives now? I like their QB a lot. 6”5 and long /rangy kid. He will make some plays for sure.

Im with you, that's a little far fetched in my opinion @ bulldogmgc, 16 point favor for Rocklin?? I honestly don't think 16 points combined will be scored by halftime. I personally think Manteca should be favored.

They shutdown a good Granite Bay team and while being blown out by St. Mary's is dissapointing, St. Mary's is playing on another level in right now. Manteca is the reining victor in this matchup, sending Rocklin packing last season. Davis or no Davis that monster line is built for 2 plays, I strong off tackle and toss weak. Mix in dive and counter here or there. Rocklin will need to outscore them in the air, alot to ask for a first time varsity sophomore QB.

St. Mary's looks like a D2 section finalist, team speed and offensive scoring, granted alot of football left to play.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Good points. And doesn’t CC have the big FSU o lineman anchoring those drives now? I like their QB a lot. 6”5 and long /rangy kid. He will make some plays for sure.
The 6’7” 280lb Manasse Itete will not be playing until week 5 (next game after Serra), per my discussing with him on the sideline during the St. Mary’s game, due to transfer rule. Really nice kid! I was giving a hard time (jokingly) for changing his mind to sign with Florida St vs my alma mater USC. Then one of his coaches chimed in, Florida St for now (with a chuckle).

• Haha
Reactions: larry legend33
Im with you, that's a little far fetched in my opinion @ bulldogmgc, 16 point favor for Rocklin?? I honestly don't think 16 points combined will be scored by halftime. I personally think Manteca should be favored.

They shutdown a good Granite Bay team and while being blown out by St. Mary's is dissapointing, St. Mary's is playing on another level in right now. Manteca is the reining victor in this matchup, sending Rocklin packing last season. Davis or no Davis that monster line is built for 2 plays, I strong off tackle and toss weak. Mix in dive and counter here or there. Rocklin will need to outscore them in the air, alot to ask for a first time varsity sophomore QB.

St. Mary's looks like a D2 section finalist, team speed and offensive scoring, granted alot of football left to play.
I was watching a bit of the Rocklin vs Buchanan game, and Rocklin has a ton of speed, as well. Buchanan line is not so big and Manteca’s line is huge. I think Rocklin’s speed and good tackling will be a factor. I anticipate Rocklin winning, but picking Manteca in my pick’ems as 1 pointer for strategy only with many picking Rocklin big. I anticipate final 4 for D2 being St. Mary’s, Rocklin, Del Oro, and Manteca, with some potential rematches in play when they get to the semifinals or finals.

I was watching a bit of the Rocklin vs Buchanan game, and Rocklin has a ton of speed, as well. Buchanan line is not so big and Manteca’s line is huge. I think Rocklin’s speed and good tackling will be a factor. I anticipate Rocklin winning, but picking Manteca in my pick’ems as 1 pointer for strategy only with many picking Rocklin big. I anticipate final 4 for D2 being St. Mary’s, Rocklin, Del Oro, and Manteca, with some potential rematches in play when they get to the semifinals or finals.
Is the Manteca game vs st marys a little misleading because Manteca was playing without their best player? (Bryson Davis)

Reactions: bulldogmgc
That sound about right. Rocklin will have it's work cut out for them. I know that Buchanan was solid, but there offensive line play was sub-par, McQueen was way down in my opinion and has not been good since McNamara was qb. Suffice to say Manteca will be a huge test.

Is the Manteca game vs st marys a little misleading because Manteca was playing without their best player? (Bryson Davis)
IMHO, yes! Bryson Davis is a difference maker, just as Blake Nichelson was the difference maker for Manteca last year. Just watch the Manteca vs VDL game. No Bryson Davis, and Manteca loses to VDL. However, Manteca beat Granite Bay without Davis and their defense shutout the Grizzlies winning 15-0. Yes, IMHO, the loss to St. Mary’s was a blowout without Davis to help Manteca with controlling the clock and possession with Davis carrying the rock and potentially putting more points on the board for the Buffaloes. From the start, Manteca went to the air more than they did the entire season so far, thinking the weakness was the Rams pass defense as CW and CC made big plays in the air against the Rams. But, this backfired. Manteca’s QB nor their WR corp is at the same level as CW and/or CC. A good mix would be CC QB with CW WR’s. Still, does Manteca’s D stop or slow down the Rams offense with Davis in the game? IMHO, doubtful. Even where the Rams were forced to 3rd and long, much was due to penalties. But, credit the Buffalo D for assisting in these setbacks for the Rams offense having to make big plays. But, the later is nothing new. That’s the Rams offense … big play after big play. IMHO, with Davis, the game between SM and Manteca is closer in score but the Rams still win. However, that’s just my opinion. I definitely anticipate a different game in the playoffs should the two teams meet again. With Davis, Manteca’s play calling will be more of a ground game and maybe a pass here or there if Davis moves the chains. Should and will be a better game, indeed.

I really believe Rocklin is pretty darn good. They are young but have much speed. Manteca has size. The Rams had enough size on their end to match up with the Buffaloes and speed. Rocklin vs Manteca without Davis should be a good one and I would favor Rocklin. With Davis, I would favor Manteca over Rocklin. But, that is something we may have to wait for the playoffs. My understanding is torn elbow ligaments needs at least a few weeks to heal if not much more time. Is Davis playing this week vs Rocklin? I dunno and I have my doubts. But, if he’s in, not sure he will be playing lots of minutes (catering recovery for the playoffs and his baseball career vs this game). Still, it should be a good game.

Reactions: Santa Ball
The score difference from St. Mary's-Manteca, but I do think it speaks to the ceiling St. Mary's has (looks like they are rotating the QBs less) and how vital Davis is to Manteca's offense.

I also think it shows the limitations Granite Bay might have this year on offense. Both GB and Manteca have similar offensive profiles with very good running games when at their best, but can both struggle with the running game is off

Reactions: FBAddict
@Streak One , I think sfl is really going to be a grind this year. I don’t know if much separates OR, Rocklin, GB, and DO. OR is really good defensively but is going to struggle to score. I thought this might be the year but I’m beginning to think last years team was better. You just can’t have a below average QB if you want to win a champ anymore.

I agree that it is a grind. Folsom still the top dog but maybe not at the same level as previous years. Del Oro has the best offensive player in the league in Pinnick. OR, Rocklin, and GB all fit a similar mold, though I've liked Rocklin more in the first few weeks than I thought I would.

Oak Ridge has found ways to win against Grant and Madison, which was kind of a staple of Taylor's at Del Oro. Good matchup this week with Clayton Valley Charter

The score difference from St. Mary's-Manteca, but I do think it speaks to the ceiling St. Mary's has (looks like they are rotating the QBs less) and how vital Davis is to Manteca's offense.

I also think it shows the limitations Granite Bay might have this year on offense. Both GB and Manteca have similar offensive profiles with very good running games when at their best, but can both struggle with the running game is off
Per the announcer during the St. Mary’s vs Manteca game it was shared that sophomore QB Devin Rasmussen moved down to JV. I sure hope they reconsider moving him back up to varsity for the DLS game. In past, DLS defense has taken out the Rams starting QB and it would be good to have a solid backup. But, this is the reason we did not see much rotation of QB in the Manteca game. He definitely should be returning for the playoffs.

I agree that it is a grind. Folsom still the top dog but maybe not at the same level as previous years. Del Oro has the best offensive player in the league in Pinnick. OR, Rocklin, and GB all fit a similar mold, though I've liked Rocklin more in the first few weeks than I thought I would.

Oak Ridge has found ways to win against Grant and Madison, which was kind of a staple of Taylor's at Del Oro. Good matchup this week with Clayton Valley Charter
Yeah that is true streak. OR has found a way. Defensively Hoffman returns this week but molloy is still banged up. OR will be in a lot of lower scoring games this year.

Pinnick and Poe make a great connection and are must watch. I’m excited to see Rocklin on Saturday. I will let you know what I think.

Reactions: Streak One
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT