Ygnacio Valley

Livermore Valley Charter

Weston Ranch

Las Lomas

Bentley

Pacific Collegiate

Tennyson

Cornerstone Christian

Comments, questions, advice and philosophical issues should be sent to clayk@fullcourt.com.

Clay,
I also see where on the 27th ...East Salt Lake is playing SMS at 3PM in
those games at Heritage...why did you put them in Coral bracket....
I used to live in in SLC...I know they normally have a good team...
why the Coral seems strange....and why is MM not in the top bracket

Those are indeed tentative brackets -- several changes already.

The Diamond Division will be at Miramonte (which replaces Bentley as a site).

After the coaches weigh in, we'll send out another set, and that will include matchups for the Premier and most likely times. Then there will be a final version ...

MM gets to play all its games at home and doesn't play Plat comp?
Sounds like a great deal for them.

Gold will be at Las Positas ...

And every host team gets a break of some sort. That's part of the deal ...

What a joke! The year MM plays in this they duck out of the top bracket and play in a division where they're gonna clean everyone's clock? How is this good for Norcal basketball? It's ONLY good for WCJ pocketbook...

Arcata is in Diamond? SHM

Jazzpt55
The question is how do go from 2 place in Open to second division this year in WCJ????? Then you take another team that was put in the open in the 5th division??? The answer is loyalty and hating on another the blew out in the summer 4 in elite division and that was without McDonald. Beat 2 of the teams by 40 and 1 was with a running clock. The same as always hate on a man that won 2 state championships when their was a true D1 division. If he wants to see blowout game in that division so be it.

The Platinum division I call the final if McClatchy don't get cheated. McClatchy VS Salesian but we all know and out teams always has the upper hand. What happen to Riverdale Baptist that was a suppose to be a lock?????

Jazzpt55
The question is how do go from 2 place in Open to second division this year in WCJ????? Then you take another team that was put in the open in the 5th division??? The answer is loyalty and hating on another the blew out in the summer 4 in elite division and that was without McDonald. Beat 2 of the teams by 40 and 1 was with a running clock. The same as always hate on a man that won 2 state championships when their was a true D1 division. If he wants to see blowout game in that division so be it.

The Platinum division I call the final if McClatchy don't get cheated. McClatchy VS Salesian but we all know and out teams always has the upper hand. What happen to Riverdale Baptist that was a suppose to be a lock?????

Respect...
you may be right on the finals matchup...
don't forget though that McClatchy wont have the Sac transfer Turney until after 30 days.
And is Sierra Smith good to go from the start? or does she have to sit out also for 30 days?
Just a couple of questions that could affect the top bracket.

and remember the brackets are all tentative...I remember last year there was a lot of movement among the top brackets as far as scheduling.
I would agree that MM playing at home is sketchy, if I was a coach who signed up for the WCJ I wouldn't be too happy about playing MM at home. I signed up for the WCJ and NOT the MM invitational tourney. That being said a lot of the criticism can be avoided by putting MM in the top bracket, where they should be. The high school would still get to host the games but MM wouldn't get the home games...easy fix.

So here's how the Jamboree works: We've distributed more than $500,000 to host schools since the beginning, and the host schools have to work very hard for three very long days to earn their money. It is simply impossible to have a host school play at another site because of the manpower and supervisory issues.

So that's one ...

Two, yes, the host schools get an advantage. They get to play at home, and they get input on their bracket. It was true at Bentley, it's true at Ygnacio, it's true everywhere. If a host school coach wants a change, the odds are we are going to make it. They work very hard, and we want them to succeed.

Three, could Miramonte be in the Platinum? Sure, but this is isn't last year, and Miramonte is hosting. And you know, Elk Grove is pretty good too ... you might recall they played in the state title game last season.

Four, as for Brookside, Pico wanted to be in Premier, not Elite, and they're in the top Premier bracket. We couldn't do much more than that. If they'd wanted Elite, they would have been in Elite.

Five, Arcata is very happy to be in Diamond. Dusty wants to play really good teams to get ready for postseason.

If a school wants to host, and get the advantages of hosting (along with the work), all they have to do is reach out and see if it will work. Obviously, we can't have Cardinal Newman host because of distance, but we're open to suggestion.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Northbay

They all together Clay, Harold, Tom, Kelly and St Joseph that's Cal Star. So does it matter no just know that they will all set them up to when. CN will get a tasty this year they have to play Chaminade odds against you double in value. Just like Prairie of Washington make to the final in the what division they are in. Yes MM should be in the top Bracket some teams.

Clay
I know Pico didn't tell that he want to be in the low bracket this year. But we know that bunch from Cal Stars hate the Oakland Soldiers women's side was created. That why he joined forces with TOM. They both need each other because Soldiers are here to stay. They already trying to recruit from the Soldiers already. I knowstill this for a fact but won't happen. I know Cal Stars players want to come over that's another reason Tom and Kelly join forces. I know this for the both of them no new Mustangs will be joining them. They both lived off the Mustangs for years but now they are cut off.
It's a small world and their world is getting small now without the Mustangs. The best thing that I would say if you want to coach college go while your on top and not when thinks are about to fall apart!!!!

The difference between Tom and Kelly then Sue and Pico is that 1 pair can coach up kids and the other needs talent to come to them to win!!!!!!!!

Clay has always been a pragmatic loathing hypocrite.

I hope MM does well, but if their coaches can't "coach up", they'll struggle. they return 2 starters and one bench player who was in the primary rotation, but I didn't see any other kids who looked starter-ready last year. my view is that having two of the best coaches in the East Bay bodes well for player development, but we'll see. I'm delighted to have the WCJ just down the road from home.

Last edited:
So here's how the Jamboree works: We've distributed more than $500,000 to host schools since the beginning, and the host schools have to work very hard for three very long days to earn their money. It is simply impossible to have a host school play at another site because of the manpower and supervisory issues.

So that's one ...

Two, yes, the host schools get an advantage. They get to play at home, and they get input on their bracket. It was true at Bentley, it's true at Ygnacio, it's true everywhere. If a host school coach wants a change, the odds are we are going to make it. They work very hard, and we want them to succeed.

Three, could Miramonte be in the Platinum? Sure, but this is isn't last year, and Miramonte is hosting. And you know, Elk Grove is pretty good too ... you might recall they played in the state title game last season.

Four, as for Brookside, Pico wanted to be in Premier, not Elite, and they're in the top Premier bracket. We couldn't do much more than that. If they'd wanted Elite, they would have been in Elite.

Five, Arcata is very happy to be in Diamond. Dusty wants to play really good teams to get ready for postseason.

If a school wants to host, and get the advantages of hosting (along with the work), all they have to do is reach out and see if it will work. Obviously, we can't have Cardinal Newman host because of distance, but we're open to suggestion.

I give CLAY credit for addressing all the concerns and questions that have been voiced.
He answered them forthright. And I for one believe he has no reason to not tell the truth.

Mkbgdns

Why do u think that they are in the second elite bracket at home??? If they are that good then they should be in the top bracket. They should especially being at home when is the last time they lost at home.

Let talk about the Platinum SMS and Chaminade both have a first round by. McClatchy should win because they are going to press the whole game. Salesian show beat Sac High because they are good for 3 qts just can't finish games and Smith will play a big part in this game.

Mkbgdns

Why do u think that they are in the second elite bracket at home??? If they are that good then they should be in the top bracket. They should especially being at home when is the last time they lost at home.

Let talk about the Platinum SMS and Chaminade both have a first round by. McClatchy should win because they are going to press the whole game. Salesian show beat Sac High because they are good for 3 qts just can't finish games and Smith will play a big part in this game.

If anyone knows about 1st round bye's it would be you RESPECT.
as you had a front row seat at Miramonte's 1st round bye in the OPEN Bracket last year.

Northbay

Anyone going to MM it's always a bye when you play against 7 or 8 on the floor the same in the Open. DAM DOES CN KNOW WHAT THE OPEN FEELS LIKE BECAUSE BROOKSIDE BEEN THERE TWICE. GOOD THINK BROOKSIDE WENT TO OPEN BECAUSE IF NOT THE WOULD HAVE THE DEFAULT D4 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!! AT LEAST BROOKSIDE CAN SAY THEY WHERE IN THE TOP 16 IN THE STATE IN 2016. JUST LIKE TOURNAMENTS THE OF THE D4 STATE CHAMPION THE 113 best since all the division are Higher!!!!!!!!

Northbay

Anyone going to MM it's always a bye when you play against 7 or on the floor the same in the Open. DAM DOES CN KNOW WHAT THE OPEN FEELS LIKE BECAUSE BROOKSIDE BEEN THERE TWICE. GOOD THINK BROOKSIDE WENT TO OPEN BECAUSE IF NOT THE WOULD HAVE THE DEFAULT D4 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!! AT LEAST BROOKSIDE CAN SAY THEY WHERE IN THE TOP 16 IN THE STATE IN 2016. JUST LIKE TOURNAMENTS THE OF THE D4 STATE CHAMPION THE 113 best since all the division are Higher!!!!!!!!

NO......YOU can say that Brookside was in the TOP 16. a 68 point loss says otherwise.

perhaps the MM gym floor wasn't long enough for your superior athletes?

Clay Translation...Follow the Money...
So we really want to break it down in terms of $$$...OK

Lets says MM got $50K to host a bracket at Miramonte...
would the get $60K to both host a bracket at Miramonte and go on the road to play the
real competition at Las Positas....

Would Kelly accept another $10K if it meant challenging his kids....
hey let's ask the kids:)

Lets says MM got $50K to host a bracket at Miramonte...

let's say you need to go back to elementary school to take that math class you flunked. WCJ is in its 17th year. re-read Clay's post. unless you need to go back to that reading class you flunked.

for $50K, I'll host a bracket in my driveway. just need to put the basket back up and get the grass out of the cracks.

The issue with hosting isn't money, it's manpower. and I explain this more to help people understand how the Jamboree works than to justify anything.

Obviously, nobody's making $50K ... a hosting school can generate $3,000 to $3,500 in fundraising, which is a tidy sum, and necessary in districts like Acalanes which don't fund athletic programs. But that money requires three days of work that begin at around 7:30 a.m. and end about 10:30 p.m. That means lots of volunteer labor is required, from running the 30-second shot clock to announcing to manning the concessions' stand. The host team's parents and staff simply cannot leave to play at another site because there would be no one left to handle the games at the gym.

On another front, every coach makes decisions about the schedule, and the basic rule is that you have to do what you think is best for your program. As I've said before, I think the most underrated aspect of high school coaching is scheduling, and I don't think many experienced coaches believe they should play the best possible teams all the time. It's a long season, with a lot of moving postseason parts, and the equation is complex. Some years you look back and say "We didn't play enough quality teams," and other seasons you wonder "What was I thinking scheduling those teams that beat us by 20?"

Reactions: Paytc
Clay

What does Kelly have in in mind for schedule this year since he said the schedule last year for WCJ???? Don't ask me how I know this but I was told through the grapevine of many of my connections?? So of course don't let Pico rise because he is taking over in the AAU northern California. I see they don't like writing about the Soldiers but can't deny that. I not saying you Clay but I heard from other writers the some northern California hate that Pico is back on top of the AAU world.

Let's talk about the Soldiers brand. They are always know as the best on the Boys side without at doubt!!! The girls side for the first did very well with beat EYBL teams. How long do you think Kelly can keep them from the EYBL league???? Money talk but after a while bull #### walks???? The girls side of the EYBL is not like the boys side. Politics what's that side but most of the other teams in the EYBL wants the Soldiers in now which will happen next year because they did very well last year. So now here is the problem that Cal Stars is having how top players will leave because there is a choice now. Pico is one of the best coaches around that can train kids and get the best out of them. They hate him when he won 2 real D1 championships and now that he is back on the seen in high school the hater are out there. Best ones like a song I know " BACK STABBERS ". This is for some of the writers and know who you are like the song says " They smile in you face they are back stabbers." That all I got say on this subject!!!!!

Just for the record, could you name some names of people who hated Pico when he won those titles at Oakland Tech? I don't recall that, and I remember those teams and times very well.

The point really is that I'm not sure the narrative of Pico as the hated underdog who rises above the negativity reflects what's really going on. Everyone who has success draws some hate (I sense a little for Kelly Sopak and Tom Gonsalves in your posts) but to extend that to paint one group as those loved by the establishment and the other as the noble fighters for justice doesn't necessarily hold true.

After all, there was a time when Cal Stars were the underdogs to EBX and Cal Ballaz, and when Tom Gonsalves was coaching boys. What was the narrative then?

Clay

Let's talk about when Cal Stars was the underdog. How did they become better was it training or was it recruiting Stockton Mustangs? I think everyone know the answers!!!!!

Let's talk about SMS was the underdog to everyone at one time. How did they become better was it training with someone does not run the drills or was it recruiting Stockton Mustangs??? Again everyone knows the answer to this question???

All the was a misfortune for a coach that could offer is minority kids anything at that time but someone good training that will take them to the top!!!

Let's take a little bit of history lesson. Back in the day there was a big football game between Alabama and USC. Alabama at this time was supposed to be the best college team around that didn't allow any minorities to attend their school. They lost to USC by 24 pts which had minority players on. After that year the went out and recruit 5 of the best players in the nation. Look at Alabama today's football team tell the difference??? Alabama these days can offer more than most colleges for football players. They have a 1 out of 10 to turn pro to the NFL and 1 out 10 big contact.

So with this I leave to know history only repeats itself over and over again. Take for other to make you look better then you can coach. BIG THINK IN THE LAST 10 YEAR IS YOUNG WOMEN'S BASKETBALL IN NORCAL WE WOULD EVEN BE TALK ABOUT THESE COACH IF THE STOCKTON MUSTANGS COACH COULD OFFER HIS PLAYERS MORE THEN THE OTHERS??? All you writers ask the players where they learn how to play high level basketball they will all tell you the same over and over again.

I don't think Cal-Stars were ever underdogs to EBX. I mean, Sopek took all of EBX's players when he was coaching to start the Cal-Stars brand...so how could he be an underdog in that regard?

The demise of EBX was when Sean Dulan got in trouble at St. Mary's. After that, it seemed like EBX could never recover...That coupled with major defections to Cal Stars once Kelly left. Bottom line is that there will be haters all over the place. Kelly has been successful in both the AAU side AND the HS side. Not too many coaches can do both well.

We live in this culture that if it's expensive then it must be good. AAU, Club Volleyball, Soccer, Softball...costs anywhere from 3000-8000 dollar a YEAR to play. Multiply that times 100 and it's a no brainer...who wouldn't want to be involved in that (coaches)? What would be interesting, is seeing the number of kids that play AAU and DON'T get scholarships to play hoops. There is this perception that if my daughter doesn't go DI, and a major DI school, then why bother...

Scheduling is a big topic, especially on this board more than the other sports. To me, it is way overblown. What matters is winning section, NorCal and state titles. How you get there is really a mute point. Who says, "we lost in the quarterfinals, but hey, we played the toughest schedule in NorCal. Lets have a celebration in the gym!"

The point of scheduling tough is to prepare yourself for big games in late February and into March. As a coach, you have the make the judgement on who you need to play to accomplish your goals.

The "respect" argument is a tired on too.

Reactions: Dukesf23
I guess I'm a little unclear as to why this is all such a pissing match? Isn't the success of multiple teams/programs only good for the game and for NorCal Girls Basketball? I'm not sure why it has to be so ugly about coaches, teams, programs? Kelly has done a heck of a job at Miramonte and Cal Stars. Great run with MM and EYBL National Champions with Cal Stars. Not to mention all of the D1 kids he has helped in the last several year. Tom's accomplishment at St. Mary's speak for themselves, one would think? McDonald's All-Americans, State Championships, National contenders. Soldiers had a good first year on the women's side. Pico has won a couple State Championships and had success at a couple of different schools.

So why can't they ALL be applauded? Isn't it good to have multiple successful and competing programs?

I really don't understand the hate between all of this. I also don't understand selling short any of the above mentioned programs or coaches? Each of them has had success over an extended period of time. None of them were successful with one crop of kids. Sustained success points to a level of excellence and credibilty--not a fluke.

My hat is off to all of you guys for providing great programs for your kids and I personally enjoy competing against each of you and appreciate pushing myself and my program to compete at the highest levels against your teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT