ADVERTISEMENT

What a difference a year makes.....

remc

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2009
what, no talk about the Folsom vs DLS game this Friday? This time last year it was all the rage.Everyone expects a DLS win, but what if Folsom sneaks out with the upset? Seems like prime circumstances for it

Looking forward to a fantastic ball game. I don't feel Folsom is as stout up front as last year. While I would like to see Folsom win, they will be 3 TD underdogs.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
yeah I was wondering when all the "chatter" would start. It seems like Folsom comes in as a 3TD+ underdog. I think that is pretty good assessment. Both teams come in with more on the field time than this year so you expect maybe a little sharper offensive game. Call me crazy.... 35-10 DLS.

I think there is a belief Folsom is closer to the rest of NorCal than they are to DLS. Last year, it was DLS in tier one and Folsom in tier one or tier two by themselves.

DLS should wear them out, but I'm curious if that happens more in the second half or if DLS jumps on them early.

I think they make a statement right away Streak. There will be some Shi% talking by Folsom and all that Hooray stuff and DLS will quietly execute and go up 14-0 after 1. I do like Folsom QB though. Doesn't get the press that the other kids got but has better size and a stronger arm. Deceptive runner and a 6"2 210 can take a hit. Lacks the reps though at this point. I can't imagine guys like Ngata and Badger don't make their share of plays. They are elite kids. Hopefully it will be a great game and go down to the wire.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Simple game for DLS. Over powering run game and an attacking, aggressive d-fence that will suffocate the Bulldogs offense from start to finish. DLS hasn't let the dogs loose against NorCal opponents so far. Friday the gloves come off and the dogs will be let loose. DLS up big at the half and win by 21 points on Folsom's blue turf.

I think Folsom is going to be throwing more balls into tighter windows this year. If you look at last year's game, you might say that the Folsom QB was a little thinking he'd just lob it up to his boyhood buddy who could always get deep on every other opponent. The recipe for success worked in most games....but not in the games against better competition. You had to be able to throw those slants, posts, outs, etc. Happened all too late. Passing game turned out to be fairly unsuccessful due to an over-reliance on the buddy fade. This year, Folsom actually has a couple of QBs who can put some heat on the ball and throw those other routes. I'd say DLS will defend it better with their LBs...but its a different approach from Folsom this year. Seems they are running more of those patterns this go around. Folsom has been fond of the read option....think they will try that to see what DLS does against it. I don't think you'll see the QB running for 10-15 yards like in Folsom's earlier games...but maybe a 5 yard pickup?

Folsom’s chances aren’t as good as last years. IMO it will be at least 3tds. However right now it’s 0-0. And to use an old poker term they do have a chip and a chair. I’m going to the game only because it’s NorCal’s only real chance this year.

Any suggestions on good places to eat in the Folsom area? Maybe a sports bar or good pizza place I could go before the game?

My old school hole in the wall on Clayton Road Skipolini’s Pizza is in Folsom in a huge restaurant form.
Lazy Dog another outstanding spot with unique choices, atmosphere and beer

Folsom food suggestion: The Fat Rabbit on Sutter Street in the Historic District. Classic European-style pub food.

Reactions: coachlittle
I think folsom will surprise and could pull out the win...dont forget both teams lost a lot last yeae but but folsom did get some transfers in...i think what will help will be a different game plan than last year ans maybe a more versatile approach.

If the folsom line can hold up and they dont play sloppy, i think a win is possible and i hope so

For food..old folsom is grear but so is the palladios..upscale with great choices all around..if willing to venture 5 min up free way, town center in el dorado hills incl. Sellands or milestone or sienna near by

I think folsom will surprise and could pull out the win...dont forget both teams lost a lot last yeae but but folsom did get some transfers in...i think what will help will be a different game plan than last year ans maybe a more versatile approach.

If the folsom line can hold up and they dont play sloppy, i think a win is possible and i hope so

For food..old folsom is grear but so is the palladios..upscale with great choices all around..if willing to venture 5 min up free way, town center in el dorado hills incl. Sellands or milestone or sienna near by

Sorry for my typos above

And there is always In and out burger or Chick Filet if you are in a hurry. Or get something at the snackbar. I'm not a food person as you can tell.

I like Jake #7. Kid can really throw the ball and has much better size than Bennett. Bennett played a terrible game against DLS so bar is super low this year.
I just don't see Folsom D stopping the run and DLS QB has another year under his belt. Need a few big plays from Ngata, Badger and anybody else to make this close. I would guess DLS has a good kicker but the obvious is don't kick to either one of those kids. They both can change a game quickly. That goes for Oak Ridge next week. Take the penalty if you can't get the touchback.

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
what, no talk about the Folsom vs DLS game this Friday? This time last year it was all the rage.Everyone expects a DLS win, but what if Folsom sneaks out with the upset? Seems like prime circumstances for it

Sybil and her 14 different handles seems to have disappeared...life is smooth again...

There's actually a 5 page thread ongoing about this week's game on Prep's National board. The discussion just hasn't made its way over to this site yet.

I'm on record saying that I don't like Folsom's chances this FRI as much as I liked their chances last year. But there are a few Folsom fans in the thread that believe this Folsom team is actually better. We'll find out soon enough.

If the line play and defense can hold up as it did last year (a big IF), then one factor that might help them is not trying to over-depend upon Joe Ngata. I felt that DLS gave them a bit of the Bill Belichick treatment last year by taking Joe out of the game and forcing them to go elsewhere to beat them. But they still tried to go through Joe too much and it hurt them. Had they distributed the ball to Daniyel and Elijhah a bit more, I think they might have pulled off the upset.

With Joe gone now perhaps they'll spread it around a little bit more. I'm sure DLS will game plan to take one of the 2 remaining stars away, so their offensive success is bound to come down to line play and the decision making of the new QB's. And perhaps DeShawn Lynch might be an x-factor at TE? That kid is a beast!!

Defensively, Folsom was stellar last August. It's hard to slow the Spartans veer like they did. Logic tells me that the DLS offense will explode a bit more this time around. Hale is no longer an inexperienced SOPH making his first start and I'm not sure Folsom's defense is as good as it was last season. However, if it is, then they've got a legit shot for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
Too be totally honest, I haven't been too impressed with DLS coaching the past few years. With Folsom having a different coaching staff I do believe they have a punchers chance to win this game. This game will be won by the coach which makes the better in-game decisions. Both teams have players to carry out a coaches mission for victory. It is up to the COACH and the COACH alone to make the necessary decisions that will give his program the win. A Spartan blowout on the blue turf would be a slap in the face to Bulldog Nation. A close game such as a one score Spartan win would be acceptable by the norm. A Folsom win would set the stage for bigger and better things to come in Bulldog Nation. So if Doherty has the mindset of a coach willing to make pivotal game changing in-game decisions he might pull off the big upset. So this game in my opinion will be a measuring stick to see if Doherty is worth his salt. He doesn't have to win the game but he has to show his worth by making DLS alter their game plan to win this game. If DLS comes in to Folsom without changing things up to get the win, Doherty should never be mentioned as one of the better coaches in NorCal. He has to force the Spartans to do things they're not good at in order to be mentioned in that light. PERIOD!!! "The Junkie"

DLS QB is inconsistent. Folsom QB is slow read. DLS discipline will be the difference in this game. If DLS gets an athletic QB and not an athlete playing QB they will be able to compete with SJB and MD.

I am surprised no talk either..i was kind of waiting....i wonder if its because last year was the first they have ever played in regular season and folsom football has come a long way since the first two blowouts..plus this year both teams are young..it could also be that whoever wins plays md or sjb so that will be a nightmare..not to say there isnt a chance but a nightmare

Lastly, folsom is at a level where they should be playing teams of dls caliber so its more of an acceptance than a shocking type of game..plus last year the game came up unexpected where we have known this one is coming for a yr now

I agree I think Folsom can easily be in the game till the end if they stack the box, contain the veer and make Hale win with his arm. I am absolutely not sold at all with Hale throwing the ball

Reactions: colhenrylives
DLS QB is inconsistent. Folsom QB is slow read. DLS discipline will be the difference in this game. If DLS gets an athletic QB and not an athlete playing QB they will be able to compete with SJB and MD.
DLS qb isn’t going to be challenged by a St Thomas Aquinas level defense either. I think too much was made of his performance in that game, As a DLS QB his first responsibility is to execute the veer efficiently, the passing is a component to keep teams off balance. Having said that, could he be better at it? Yes, but against top flight competition ( the STAs, Boscos, Mds) they should just give him easy, short/medium throws. But his lack of passing ability isn’t going to be much of a factor against NorCal competition

St Thomas Aquinas vs DLS) and Jesuit vs Folsom is big difference. DLS will explode and win by 4+ TDs!

Speaking of Sparty’s QB... He had zero time to look for receivers against STA. Zero. Joe Montana wouldn’t have looked good with 300-lb D linemen in his face half a second after the snap either.

Not comparing Hale to Montana in any way, just making a point.

Last week, while still wild at times, Hale looked muuuuccchhhhh better v. St Francis cuz he actually had a chance to look downfield.

I picked DLS by 20-10 in the pickem game, probably a bit conservative... But I doubt Folsom gets blown out at home.

And there is always In and out burger or Chick Filet if you are in a hurry. Or get something at the snackbar. I'm not a food person as you can tell.

I like Jake #7. Kid can really throw the ball and has much better size than Bennett. Bennett played a terrible game against DLS so bar is super low this year.
I just don't see Folsom D stopping the run and DLS QB has another year under his belt. Need a few big plays from Ngata, Badger and anybody else to make this close. I would guess DLS has a good kicker but the obvious is don't kick to either one of those kids. They both can change a game quickly. That goes for Oak Ridge next week. Take the penalty if you can't get the touchback.

Agree with your comments. Its all about run after catch for Folsom.

There's actually a 5 page thread ongoing about this week's game on Prep's National board. The discussion just hasn't made its way over to this site yet.

I'm on record saying that I don't like Folsom's chances this FRI as much as I liked their chances last year. But there are a few Folsom fans in the thread that believe this Folsom team is actually better. We'll find out soon enough.

If the line play and defense can hold up as it did last year (a big IF), then one factor that might help them is not trying to over-depend upon Joe Ngata. I felt that DLS gave them a bit of the Bill Belichick treatment last year by taking Joe out of the game and forcing them to go elsewhere to beat them. But they still tried to go through Joe too much and it hurt them. Had they distributed the ball to Daniyel and Elijhah a bit more, I think they might have pulled off the upset.

With Joe gone now perhaps they'll spread it around a little bit more. I'm sure DLS will game plan to take one of the 2 remaining stars away, so their offensive success is bound to come down to line play and the decision making of the new QB's. And perhaps DeShawn Lynch might be an x-factor at TE? That kid is a beast!!

Defensively, Folsom was stellar last August. It's hard to slow the Spartans veer like they did. Logic tells me that the DLS offense will explode a bit more this time around. Hale is no longer an inexperienced SOPH making his first start and I'm not sure Folsom's defense is as good as it was last season. However, if it is, then they've got a legit shot for sure.

I think Folsom's offensive execution is better so far. I think the defense has potential but they had some studs on that defense last year. Its going to be a big step up game for Folsom if they actually play to the level of last years' Folsom D versus DLS.

Reactions: remc
I think Folsom's offensive execution is better so far. I think the defense has potential but they had some studs on that defense last year. Its going to be a big step up game for Folsom if they actually play to the level of last years' Folsom D versus DLS.

I may be wrong, but it seemed to me after watching the DLS games and Folsom games this year, the quality of DLS opponents to those of Folsom have been superior which has a factor in execution. Both Folsom games were against teams that would lose to either St Francis or Central Catholic in my opinion and with CalPreps matchup

Folsom first 2 games were cupcake city. Jesuit is terrible this year and god knows why Folsom plays antelope. DLS has played against kids that can actually tackle and throw. No comparison in terms of schedule.

Folsom first 2 games were cupcake city. Jesuit is terrible this year and god knows why Folsom plays antelope. DLS has played against kids that can actually tackle and throw. No comparison in terms of schedule.

Exactly...playing a higher quality of opponent is beneficial in so many ways. For Folsom, playing such an easy schedule really hinders preparation for a high level opponent like DLS. It’s simply too bad they just can’t seem to step up their scheduling.

I haven’t seen Folsom play this year, but I can’t imagine their defensive line playing much better than last years version. They were outstanding.

I’ve seen Folsom and it’s early but line is down from last year, however skill players and secondary look awfully good. But against a DLS you could argue it’s better to have great line play and good skill players vs average line and great skill players. The veer is tough for most teams to defend and I don’t see this any different. DLS will control possession and clock which is a dagger to a Folsom.

I bought tix online yesterday. Is anyone else from this site heading out to Folsom on FRI?

A few questions to ponder ...

1) How many players on defense did Folsom lose to graduation?

2) How many players on offense did DLS gain on defense (from underclassmen who could have impact in this game)?

3) Has DLS's offense, specifically their QB, Hale, gotten any better since starting his very first varsity game vs Folsom last year?

4) Has Folsom's defense gotten worse or better compared to last year's team?

5) Didn't Folsom hold DLS's offense to just 14 points last year? Wasn't it 0-0 at halftime?

Everyone is focused on Folsom's offense not being better than last year and the fact that Folsom has a new coaching staff. But, not hearing much chatter on Folsom's defense and if there is possibility that they can hold DLS to less than 20 points again. Maybe DLS shuts out Folsom again, since the Bulldogs did lose a couple of key skilled players and bodies on the line. Central Catholic did put up 14 points vs DLS's defense. Sure, DLS probably had their scrubs in during the 2nd half after being up 35-0 in the first half. Central Catholic only put up 7 points against St. Mary's defense (also in the 2nd half) a week later after St. Mary's gave up 42 points to Pittsburg. I anticipate Folsom vs DLS to be closer than most people anticipate, not because of Folsom's offense, but because of their defense. But, if Folsom lost a ton of talent on defense, then indeed it may not be a close game.

It's too bad St. Mary's is hosting Serra this week, else I would be at the Folsom vs DLS game, too. Enjoyed last year's game at DLS. DLS on the blue turf is going to be interesting, for sure. Curious ... will Folsom be wearing blue?

Reactions: ThunderRam
For those who cannot attend the DLS at Folsom game, Access Sacramento will be broadcasting the game as their Hometown Game of the Week. It can be watched on various cable channels or streamed live at their website. They also post the full game broadcast to Youtube at some point later in the week.

Check out the info at accesssacramento.org

For those who cannot attend the DLS at Folsom game, Access Sacramento will be broadcasting the game as their Hometown Game of the Week. It can be watched on various cable channels or streamed live at their website. They also post the full game broadcast to Youtube at some point later in the week.

Check out the info at accesssacramento.org
Thanks

Thinking about it...Maybe we could hook up for a few at Taco Time down the street.

My wife and I are actually meeting up with someone at Tokyo Sushi off Riley around 5. But anyone is welcome to join or we can meet somewhere else immediately after (probably closer to 6). IDK where the Taco Time is, but there is a zpizza taptoom in the shopping center near the stadium. I was thinking of parking over there and walking over since parking at the school is usually a chore.

But I'm willing to go wherever after we have dinner. Let me know.

BTW, it'd be great to meet @Streak One too.

Reactions: MC415
I will be tied up at Hughes Stadium but would love it if Thunder, Streak and others could leave a comment trail in a post so those of us at our teams games can keep up on the biggest game in NorCal.

I think this is a 3-4 TD game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT