ADVERTISEMENT

WhichTeams Will Be in the Top 20 in NorCal 2017?

RespectBBGame

Sports Fanatic
Mar 16, 2015
The teams I think will be in the top 20 ranking in NorCal 2017 is (Not in Ranking Order):
1) Mitry
2) SMS
3) CN
4) Pinewood
5) Salesian
6) BOD
7) SHC
8) Valley Christian (SJ)
9) West Campus
10) SI
11) Brookside
12) Lincoln
13) MM
14) Sac High
15) Vanden
16) Elk Grove
17) McCathy
18) Carondelet
19) ESCP
20) Antelope

This is my prediction for 2017 season does anyone else have one they would like to share??????

Last edited:
Sacred Heart Cathedral will be in the mix too returning their top seven scorers led by Thomas.

Oak Ridge is always tough and have a very good frontline with Harris and DeLapp with McCoy on the wing.

Tough part is finding who to knock off the original list.

Campolindo for one of the 2 CN spots listed.

1) Mitry
2) SMS
3) CN
4) Pinewood
5) Salesian
6) BOD
7) CN
8) Valley Christian (SJ)
9) West Campus
10) SI
11) Brookside
12) Lincoln
13) MM
14) Sac High
15) Vanden
16) Elk Grove
17) McCathy
18) Carondelet
19) ESCP
20) Antelope

Respect..

SHC is an obvious omission...they are a probable OPEN team. 1 of 3 coming out of the CCS with Mitty and Pinewood.

I agree with Streak One that Oakridge should be on it also..although after watching them get their lunch handed to them in San Diego earlier this summer, how high can be debated. I would have them in the 15-20 range.

DONT forget Eastside prep. defending state champs in D5 who return everybody. they definitely deserve a top 20 ranking.

AZANNA....do we have a final decision on the Johnson sisters leaving Antelope? are they enrolled at West Campus? or are they staying? School starts in a few weeks I figure you have to know at this point. That answer clearly affects where/if both Antelope and West Campus land in the rankings.

another question for the NCP crowd....

Do we have a final answer on where Sierra Smith ( from SMS) is enrolled?

word on the street had her transferring to Salesian for her senior year, but I had heard there were some complications with the transfer.

Does anyone know? Salesian or SMS?

3 more teams I thought of....

SMB should be improved...

Pleasant Valley coming out of the north...always hard to gauge how good those teams are though.

and I really like Menlo-Atherton as a sleeper team coming out of the CCS.
I expect them to be in the CCS open and don't be surprised if they make some noise in it.

Northbay
I did put Eastside college prep (ESCP) they are #19 on the list. SMB will be good but not in the top 20. Smith is enrolled at Salesian. Melo-Atherton will have to play a stronger schedule to be ranked.

But there is a big problem in Ranking because if a team plays teams that aren't that good still are rank high but get put out early in playoffs. Can you agree to that point?????

There's no word on the street. It's no longer a said rumor. Sierra has been attending Salesian since April, but everybody already knows this because the question has been asked and answered on this board, on other boards/blogs, been tweeted about, and even wrote about in an online magazine/publication.
Moving right along............

The teams I think will be in the top 20 ranking in NorCal 2017 is (Not in Ranking Order):
1) Mitry
2) SMS
3) CN
4) Pinewood
5) Salesian
6) BOD
7) SHC
8) Valley Christian (SJ)
9) West Campus
10) SI
11) Brookside
12) Lincoln
13) MM
14) Sac High
15) Vanden
16) Elk Grove
17) McCathy
18) Carondelet
19) ESCP
20) Antelope

This is my prediction for 2017 season does anyone else have one they would like to share??????

It won't be easy to pick the 20 top because after the first 5 or 6 everyone else is rather neck and neck. It will depend on coaches coaching well and players staying healthy.

My top four preseason picks would be

1/2.Mitty (could be #2)
2/1.Salesian(could be #1)
3.Pinewood ( hard to count them out)
4.SMS

The Naje Murry injury coupled with the loss of Cayton, Tudor, Johnson, Fadel, Porter, and Smith, made me have to move SMS down a notch from my original post. And with the loss of M. Moore Salesian will still be very good with the pickup of Sierra Smith's experience and floor leadership.... if she doesn't miss much or any playing time with the transfer. Under all circumstances it's hard to not put Mitty at #1. But the top 10 can all play with them.

I think it is fair to say any good team could upset any other good team.There won't be much separation in the top ten teams this season.

There will be a surprise or two. And I agree with northbaybbguru on Menlo Atherton as well as a few others, being a sleeper to look out for.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkross22
There's no word on the street. It's no longer a said rumor. Sierra has been attending Salesian since April, but everybody already knows this because the question has been asked and answered on this board, on other boards/blogs, been tweeted about, and even wrote about in an online magazine/publication.
Moving right along............

ok KKROSS..

I will come right out and ask the question I really wanted to ask...

I understand that SMS is disputing the transfer as athletically motivated. And the SJS agrees...

Is Sierra Smith going to be eligible to pay at Salesian this coming year?

how's that for being straight forward?

oh...and BTW I am hoping she is eligible to play for Salesian. But Im hearing the question of eligibility hasn't been decided yet.

Last edited:
Berkeley had a very young team last year and I think that they'll do pretty well next year. Not sure what their schedule looks like, but they've always been a force in DI.

On a side note, it's funny that ONLY 7 teams on the original list are public school teams. I don't think I've ever see that much disparity before.

northbaybbguru, it seems you know more about what's actually going on behind the scenes than I do, as I did not know SMS was disputing the transfer or that SJS agrees. Thanks for the info!
As you already put out there, the overall decision of eligibility has not been decided yet. I am sure once it has, someone on this board will more than likely have the info before I do, and will post it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BasketballZone
northbaybbguru, it seems you know more about what's actually going on behind the scenes than I do, as I did not know SMS was disputing the transfer or that SJS agrees. Thanks for the info!
As you already put out there, the overall decision of eligibility has not been decided yet. I am sure once it has, someone on this board will more than likely have the info before I do, and will post it.

kkross,

I as always will be pulling for Sierra hoping she has an awesome senior season wherever she plays. How has she recovered from her eye injury? Is she back to normal and already playing?

Typically don't they require you to miss the holiday tournament games and allow players to play starting in the league games? I know of at least one girl who left her school to get into what she believed was a better environment and she never missed a game. Hopefully Sierra will be given the same opportunity and not be punished for exercising her freedom of choice regardless of the reason.

Reactions: kkross22
Paytc,

I appreciate your sincerity in always expressing concern for players, and wanting what is best for them! Thanks!!
Sierra has recovered from her eye injury, was cleared to play a little bit before the July viewing period, and has been playing since then.
I am not familiar with the transfer process, so not sure what is typical. We're just praying Sierra does not have to miss out on playing her senior year.

Reactions: Paytc
As for the private/public issue, that list (quite good, by the way) reflects what folks in the Central Coast Section have been dealing with for at least three decades. Nothing new there. But thanks for the reminder.

As for the private/public issue, that list (quite good, by the way) reflects what folks in the Central Coast Section have been dealing with for at least three decades. Nothing new there. But thanks for the reminder.

The NCS has been the same way for many years as well. Teams like Carondelet, Salesian, St. Mary's of Berkeley, BOD, Marin Catholic, Justin Siena & lately CN have been dominant. There are no privates in D1 tho, and Berkeley as a public has ruled the roost most years. A few other publics such as Miramonte, Campo and Pinole Valley have had some real good years mixed in, but not as often as the privates. A few years ago (I think it was 2011) I remember that something like 19 of the 20 teams in the state finals (boys & girls) were private with Berkeley girls being the only public school.

KKROSS

I don't understand how a family can move from one SECTION (SJS) to another section (NCS)....and move 100+(?) miles between schools and NOT be eligible. I don't care what the reason (athletically motivated or not) is.....That doesn't make sense to me....IMO she should be eligible immediately.

I'm guessing SMS pulls some weight in the SJS. And when SMS balked at the move...the SJS listened.

I think that SMS might be in scramble mode with 4 starters gone now and easily the most vulnerable they have been in quite a few years.

It will definitely make for the most wide open OPEN division since its inception.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc and kkross22
A footnote on the CCS privates: The bulk of them, especially Menlo School, Castilleja, Pinewood, Sacred Heart Prep and Woodside Priory, are among the most expensive (in the neighborhood of $40,000 for tuition) west of the Mighty Mississippi. The Silicon Valley economy is the wonder of the world.

Tom disputes Sierra's move out of SMS....
Classy move by the US High School Basketball Coach of the Year
I am sure he blamed everybody but himself for losing last year...
Everybody should have left him...so he could have spent the whole summer with his plaque....

I had to make a slight change in my top 4 based on the Naje Murry injury. I also moved Mitty up from 2 to 1 based on the fact with all things considered they should bounce back tough this season. Though as I mention above there is not as much separation in the top ten teams this coming season. You have to give an edge to the teams with the best coaching and those who remain healthy. The best coaches are not afraid to take ownership in the decisions they make regardless to outside influences. That leadership typically results in better team ball. And putting team above any politics with regard to playing time (parent interference) and sharing the ball, tends to create a far less selfish environment. Good, well coached,confident teams, are tough to beat. It should be an exciting season. I can't wait for it to tip off. Go Norcal !

1. Mitty
2.Salesian
3.Pinewood
4. SMS (but that is being kind based on tradition) The Naje Murry injury is very unfortunate. They just don't have as much depth after losing 7 of their top 11 in player rotation, and 4 starters. And they no longer have the fear factor working in their favor.They will have to stay healthy and find chemistry early or they could fall out of contention altogether.

Last edited:
At this point, I think Mitty is the clear favorite, and then there are a bunch of pretty good teams that will battle through the season.

I also don't think there's really a monster team down South this year, though obviously Poly will be good, and Brea too.

It should be a very interesting season, and even more so than normal, injuries will play a huge role.

As others have noted, in CCS, there appears to be one public school that might have a chance to sneak into the NorCal top 20 at some point: Menlo-Atherton. In 2015-16, they had a nice season but their schedule was very weak. In the end, they fell short in Division I NorCals. For some perspective, M-A has seen this before. In fact, their girls' program has had some terrific talent dating all the way back to the early 1980s. But they have never gotten to the top level. Never. Arguably, their best teams in the early 1990s could have competed with anyone in Division I in the Bay Area at that time. But they always faltered in big games when talent levels were relatively equal. Critics would say they were chronic under-achievers or poorly coached. Or both.

Last edited:
At this point, I think Mitty is the clear favorite, and then there are a bunch of pretty good teams that will battle through the season.

I also don't think there's really a monster team down South this year, though obviously Poly will be good, and Brea too.

It should be a very interesting season, and even more so than normal, injuries will play a huge role.

Clay,

While I agree Mitty is the favorite, their dominance is not so solid that they have the fear factor working in their favor, as dominant teams in the past few years have had. I've witnessed kids (and a few parents) practically shake in their boots with the thought of playing teams like SMS, Miramonte, Bishop Odowd, Salesian, Berkeley,St, Marys Albany and a few others, when those teams were loaded with talent. I always laughed because I've witnessed "great" teams, and in my mind, none of the girls teams IMO where necessarily "great" except for possibly SMS the past two seasons.To me you can't be "great" unless both the coaching and the players are top notch and confident with substantial talent too. Many of the past teams either had awesome coaching that guided the questionable talent far, or very good talent that was poorly coached and under achieved. I think it's fair to say girls confidence wavers much quicker than boys swagger, and girls loose before tip off far more often than they should based on a team's resume coming into a game. And questionable coaching makes it even easier for a dominant team to beat other good teams. Because most young players (especially girls) feed off of their coaches confidence and composure, or lack there of, before, during, and after games. I don't think Brea (who I wasn't terribly impressed with last season) will be so mighty with the loss of Rielly Richardson, though the dominant second player they have returning is very good. It really should be wide open in both Southern and Northern Ca. this season.

Last edited:
Excellent point ... I think the intimidation factor is huge, and I think SMS will still have it. Tom Gonsalves has had powerhouse teams with less raw talent than this group, and their press will still be a killer.

People don't necessarily fear Mitty until after they play them, when they realize just how good they really are.

There was a time Berkeley had that fear factor, and Bishop O'Dowd and Salesian still carry some with them every time they play. It's hard for me to be objective about Miramonte, but my feeling is that this year, opponents will not be intimidated, but rather pumped up about a chance for revenge (especially Campolindo).

Carondelet is an interesting case ... definitely viewed as a powerhouse, definitely viewed as an elite NorCal program, but I don't know how intimidating the Cougars are to teams not in the EBAL or in Contra Costa County. For example, would Cardinal Newman be intimidated at all with that matchup? I have no idea ...

I wouldn't think Cardinal Newman would be intimidated by CLet. They scrimmaged SMS twice last year and played and scrimmaged CW last year. They also have SMS on their schedule this year (and a 2nd possible game at the CN Classic). They have also asked CLET to play in their CN Classic for the last 2 years. THAT GAME might be a good 1st round matchup in the WCJ.....hint hint hint ;)

and a far as Menlo Atherton and their schedule THIS year. They should get an early test in the Cardinal Newman Classic with the likes of CN, SMS, SMB, Campo and Pleasant Valley among others...

Regarding Brea, reports indicate that their terrific 6-1 junior center and her family have moved to Texas. That would leave serious questions in the middle. Brea does return a very good group of smaller kids. But size does matter.

Clay,

While I agree Mitty is the favorite, their dominance is not so solid that they have the fear factor working in their favor, as dominant teams in the past few years have had. I've witnessed kids (and a few parents) practically shake in their boots with the thought of playing teams like SMS, Miramonte, Bishop Odowd, Salesian, Berkeley,St, Marys Albany and a few others, when those teams were loaded with talent. I always laughed because I've witnessed "great" teams, and in my mind, none of the girls teams IMO where necessarily "great" except for possible SMS the past two seasons.To me you can't be "great" unless both the coaching and the players are confident with substantial talent too. Many of the past teams either had awesome coaching that guided the questionable talent far, or very good talent that was poorly coached and under achieved. I think it's fear to say girls confidence wavers much quicker than boys swagger, and girls loose before tip off far more often than they should based on a team's resume coming into a game. And questionable coaching makes it even easier for a dominant team to beat other good teams. Because most young players (especially girls) feed off of their coaches confidence and composure, or lack there of, before, during, and after games. I don't think Brea (who I wasn't terribly impressed with last season) will be so mighty with the loss of Rielly Richardson, though the dominant second player they have returning is very good. It really should be wide open in both Southern and Northern Ca this season.

St. Francis of Sacto might have a slightly different take on Brea in 2015-16.

Excellent point ... I think the intimidation factor is huge, and I think SMS will still have it. Tom Gonsalves has had powerhouse teams with less raw talent than this group, and their press will still be a killer.

People don't necessarily fear Mitty until after they play them, when they realize just how good they really are.

There was a time Berkeley had that fear factor, and Bishop O'Dowd and Salesian still carry some with them every time they play. It's hard for me to be objective about Miramonte, but my feeling is that this year, opponents will not be intimidated, but rather pumped up about a chance for revenge (especially Campolindo).

Carondelet is an interesting case ... definitely viewed as a powerhouse, definitely viewed as an elite NorCal program, but I don't know how intimidating the Cougars are to teams not in the EBAL or in Contra Costa County. For example, would Cardinal Newman be intimidated at all with that matchup? I have no idea ...

Clay,

I have admired SMS for the past few seasons. But it will be hard to return into what they have been upon losing so much so quickly. Even with talent, it doesn't guarantee trust and good chemistry. And teams that they have slapped around the past few seasons will want to take advantage of their mis fortune. So SMS will be a story to watch. They will be a good team, but dominant and fearful (even their press this season).... that's questionable? They will have to be in excellent condition and remain out of early foul trouble for the press to really work based on the question marks at depth. And they can't afford any more injuries.

Mitty like all teams will have their strength and weaknesses (mostly strengths). But a good coach and smart players will pick up on any weaknesses. Just as Pinewood proved last season, good coaching, good game planning, plus game time adjustments, do matter. But we have already given Mitty it's props and they have the expectations to be good.

Carondelet in my opinion will be kind of riding slightly under the radar early in the season. And rightfully no one should fear Carondelet or anyone for that matter IMO.There is nothing to be afriad of IMO. Playing basketball and coaching are not life threatening. I often wonder why all the anxiety. But hey that is why some players will kill in practice or easy games and freeze up under the big lights or big games. And some coaches are also practice only coaches who do their best coaching before the game. That is why some players and some coaches are better than others. Carondelet, like MA, SHC, Campolindo, Vanden, CN, West Campus, Miramonte, Bishop Odowd, and several others will be interesting to watch. They could go in either direction. All teams will need to stay healthy. And there is no power house definite favorite I would put my money on this season. It should be an exciting season to watch.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think Cardinal Newman would be intimidated by CLet. They scrimmaged SMS twice last year and played and scrimmaged CW last year. They also have SMS on their schedule this year (and a 2nd possible game at the CN Classic). They have also asked CLET to play in their CN Classic for the last 2 years. THAT GAME might be a good 1st round matchup in the WCJ.....hint hint hint ;)

and a far as Menlo Atherton and their schedule THIS year. They should get an early test in the Cardinal Newman Classic with the likes of CN, SMS, SMB, Campo and Pleasant Valley among others...

I can agree Cardinal Newman and Carondelet would be a good matchup based on the talent and coaching. I have my opinion on how it should turn out, but I would only be a spectator. I don't think either team would be a definite sure shot based on the full circumstances. Both should be good teams.

Regarding Brea, reports indicate that their terrific 6-1 junior center and her family have moved to Texas. That would leave serious questions in the middle. Brea does return a very good group of smaller kids. But size does matter.

Based on that, I wouldn't consider Brea a major factor. Palisades is a small but highly skilled team I personally would put ahead of Brea if Watkins has transferred to Texas.

like past years you must keep in mind what kind of schedule these teams have for the coming year. That seems to be the indicator of a teams progress. Last year teams like SMS and Mitty had strong nationally represented schedules and this coming season seems to be exactly the same. I would think this is most beneficial as the season moves along. MLK day should be a great time out in Stockton.

Watkins is 5-9. The big kid is Marsh. A lefty.
I'm pretty sure it was Richardson and Watkins who both stood out and impressed me in the 1 or 2 games I watched Brea play last season. I hardly noticed any other player although the team together as a whole gave a good effort.. But players don't always have great games and can still be impact players. Watkins, if I'm pointing out the person I was impressed with played much larger than 5'9. If they still have her they will be good. If not I think they won't be anything special IMO. But I kind of remember a lefty being dominant and thought it was Watkins. You may be more familiar with the Brea team and players than I am.

Last edited:
Watkins does play bigger than 5-9. But Marsh utterly dominated the St. Francis front line with her rebounding and shot blocking. Too bad she reportedly is now in Texas.

Reactions: Paytc
1) Mitty
2) Pinewood
3) SMS
4) BOD
5) Salesian
6) CN
7) SHC
8) Valley Christian (SJ)
9) West Campus
10) Carondelet
11) Brookside
12) Lincoln
13) ESCP
14) Sac High
15) Vanden
16) Elk Grove
17) McCathy
18) SI
19) MM

Watkins does play bigger than 5-9. But Marsh utterly dominated the St. Francis front line with her rebounding and shot blocking. Too bad she reportedly is now in Texas.

colhenrylives,

Yeah it sounds like you have a better scouting report on Brea than I do. And Texas seems to have quite a few talented players for sure.

1) Mitty
2) Pinewood
3) SMS
4) BOD
5) Salesian
6) CN
7) SHC
8) Valley Christian (SJ)
9) West Campus
10) Carondelet
11) Brookside
12) Lincoln
13) ESCP
14) Sac High
15) Vanden
16) Elk Grove
17) McCathy
18) SI
19) MM

Sjbasket,

I must say that looks like 19 very capable teams. I'm not so sure on the order because as I have said, most of the teams after the top 5 or 6 are neck and neck. And I wouldn't put BOD especially, or SMS in their present state, ahead of Salesian.

We could all start to include a few teams that may be good enough for the list but left off such as.....

Castro Valley, Campolindo, MA, SMB, Berkeley, Acalanes, Cal high, Heritage, Pittsburg, Dublin? Help me out if there are sleepers and other good, to potentially good, teams out there not mentioned.

Last edited:
St. Francis of Sacto might have a slightly different take on Brea in 2015-16.

True. And I may have a slightly different take on both Sacto and St. Francis (I'd have to see them play) when I talk about teams impressing me personally. As I am not quick to over praise. However; I also don't go out of my way to knock anyone, I just express the truth as I see it. Good teams are just not considered "great" to me. Not a whole lot of separation.

It's hard for me to give the edge to one good team over all other good teams. Because I know any good team can upset or beat another good team. "Great teams" now that would be a different story. But there are not a lot of "great" teams IMO.

Last edited:
Given the consensus that there doesn't seem to be an established dominant team it should be a fun season watching teams week to week progress. The pregame layup line "fear" factor that is talked about previously may be a non issue allowing for some competitive games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT