ADVERTISEMENT

WhichTeams Will Be in the Top 20 in NorCal 2017?

Teams like West Campus, Melo Atherton, and MC make a run in the top ten. The best team think this year will be Mitry because they are well coach and very tall and quick.
The early Ranking in my opinion.
1) Mitry
2-20 up for grabs????

Reactions: Paytc
Not exactly sure which teams will be in the Nike TOC in Dec. This tournament seems to be a good indicator of the top teams in the area. The speed and tempo of those games are at a very high level.

Not exactly sure which teams will be in the Nike TOC in Dec. This tournament seems to be a good indicator of the top teams in the area. The speed and tempo of those games are at a very high level.

I heard somewhere SMS is suppose to be in it again this season. I know Mitty, Carondelet, Vanden, and perhaps a few other locals were in it last season. Not sure if any of those teams will return again this December. But I will agree that tournament is still attracting top teams that play with good energy.

My take is that there is an established dominant team, and that team is Mitty. After that, it's up for grabs.

Mitty was 23-4 last year, and upset by Salesian, a very good team, in NorCals. They were nationally ranked most of the season.

They return 64.6 of their 70.7 points, 39.0 of their 40.2 rebounds and 16.1 of their 17.4 assists per game. They have eight players listed as 6-0 or taller (which probably means 5-11), but despite their size, their team assist/turnover ratio was 1.5. They shot 51% overall and 37% from three, against the second-toughest schedule in the state.

If that doesn't presage dominance, I don't know what does ...

SMS athletic director wrote a letter to help sierra smith become elgible. That is and always has been SMS philosophy that if a student athlete does not want to be there , let them play elsewhere. So , put it to rest that SMS is disputing because they are not. As far as the coach SMS coach disputing , section offices don't care what coaches think. SMS wishes her and any other athlete that transfers best of luck.

Reactions: Paytc and kkross22
My take is that there is an established dominant team, and that team is Mitty. After that, it's up for grabs.

Mitty was 23-4 last year, and upset by Salesian, a very good team, in NorCals. They were nationally ranked most of the season.

They return 64.6 of their 70.7 points, 39.0 of their 40.2 rebounds and 16.1 of their 17.4 assists per game. They have eight players listed as 6-0 or taller (which probably means 5-11), but despite their size, their team assist/turnover ratio was 1.5. They shot 51% overall and 37% from three, against the second-toughest schedule in the state.

If that doesn't presage dominance, I don't know what does ...

I don't think Mitty will be any worse than they were last season, so it's pretty hard to argue that. They should be better and more confident. That's why they play the game and people come out to watch it. Should be an exciting season with not as much separation this year IMO.

That's also why I liked Allen Iverson and Kobe when they played against Jordan. While the whole league was busy bowing down or having their mouths open in aw of Jordan, Iverson was busy hitting Jordan with the cross over and pulling a J right in his face. Kobe was focused on his game too, not Jordan. Two real big game time ballers. So my advice is never just mail your ticket in before you actually cross the goal line. I personally don't think any team should be encouraged to not focus on their own goals, but instead focus on what others are doing, or supposed to do.

I see these as young girls, not highly skilled NBA players. So if young kids have the right guidance, and learn to play well as a team, they can indeed surprise themselves. I do like Mitty and every thing about them. And I wish them well. But wouldn't suggest they get too far ahead of themselves. And I'm pretty sure coach Phillips won't allow them to. But I think it's fair to call them the favorites.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if the national spotlight will make its way west again? SMS seemed to the consensus #1 all year and shed some light on a few other teams out here. Does NorCal garner them same type of attention this year? I know there are a few teams that stayed intact all summer and had a real good run, which should benefit them going into this season.

As we've started thinking about the MaxPreps national rankings, California doesn't appear to be as strong as last year. Mitty and Poly are pretty much locks for the Xcellent 25; La Jolla Country Day and Brea need to be considered, but after that I'm not sure anyone is in the hunt for a preseason ranking.

This will hard to rank because all the big names graduate last year. Most teams get their ranking from having great players that have good coaching. This year it going to be about how good can the coaches coach. Good example of a great player of 2017 player manteca ando another plays for Woodland but they won't be rank because of coaching.

Really? There is some truth to that. I really thought it was a matter of team play and strength of schedule. Some ranked players out there may not really face true high caliber competition on their schedule and their teams are slow to mature as the season goes on. I think this was mentioned in a prior post about teams that have great regular seasons and build up a good win/loss records only to meet more seasoned higher competitive tested opponents in the post season.

Once all schedules are posted you'll see who has set themselves up against top competition.

I'm a little confused on the doubters of Carondelet. Looking at Maxpreps they only lose one senior who played and return 13 players. I figure all those players will improve just with another year of age. Why the doubt that drops their ranking from top ten last year to 15-20 this year. Am I missing something?

There are 11 or 12 legit OPEN caliber teams this year.
Mitty deserves the honor as the top returning team. BUT in no way are they unbeatable.
In fact IMO this is the most wide open OPEN since it came into existence.
There are no "MONSTERS" out there as there have been in previous years.....Im talking teams from yrs past like SMS,BOD and even MM (last year) that just annihilated very good teams all year long.

I'm on record to watch out for McClatchy I think they will be sneaky good and it wouldn't surprise me to see them win D1(over SMS and Oakridge) in the SJS. On the other hand I think Oakridge is overrated and it wouldn't surprise me to see another early exit from the sections/nor cals.

The big question I have is will the SJS step up and send more than 1 team to the OPEN this year???

I'm seeing at least 3 teams (Mitty, SHC,PW) from the CCS and 6 possibilities (CLET, BOD, MM, SALES,SMB,CN) out of the NCS. And yes I think MM is still an OPEN contender.

I'm a little confused on the doubters of Carondelet. Looking at Maxpreps they only lose one senior who played and return 13 players. I figure all those players will improve just with another year of age. Why the doubt that drops their ranking from top ten last year to 15-20 this year. Am I missing something?

CLET is a lock for the OPEN if they win D1...don't let the sandbaggers fool you.

They will be very good...

Carondelet will be very good, no question. They are in the mix ...

But I still think Mitty is the overwhelming favorite, just as SMS was last year. Of course, we all know what happened to SMS ...

I hear the reasoning of returning great numbers of underclass from the previous year for a number of teams. Think the difference, in at least the case of Mitty is the depth of those returning and how they did last year. There was a constant of rotation of players without loss of production for coach Phillips, in which on a regular basis regardless of preseason, regular season or post season she would rotate players off the bench four or five at a time in any given situation. There is a high level of confidence to a have a rotation of 9 and sometimes 10 players in any game at all. You're right they don't have the one ultra outstanding player. They just do it in collective manner really really well.

I hear the reasoning of returning great numbers of underclass from the previous year for a number of teams. Think the difference, in at least the case of Mitty is the depth of those returning and how they did last year. There was a constant of rotation of players without loss of production for coach Phillips, in which on a regular basis regardless of preseason, regular season or post season she would rotate players off the bench four or five at a time in any given situation. There is a high level of confidence to a have a rotation of 9 and sometimes 10 players in any game at all. You're right they don't have the one ultra outstanding player. They just do it in collective manner really really well.

Mitty also only graduated one senior to my knowledge, and took a tough loss at home which may fuel their hunger and high expectations, along with their good coaching. But speculation is only valuable in the media and certain criminal cases. And some players and some teams do things that don't come up on the stat sheets but are very significant. And the best coaches realize that. Each team will still have to stay healthy and focused, because I don't think the fear factor will be as significant this season. And in girls basketball too many times games are won and loss before tip off. At least they'll have to play the games to win them, and that's all us fans can ask for. It should be an exciting season.

Last edited:
Since everyone is talking about coaches can anyone name the top 20 coaches in NorCal in any order!!!!

RespectBBGame,

I think you should start a new comment with this perhaps as the headline.
Just to see a few thoughts on it. I truthfully don't know high school girls or boys for that matter coaching well enough to name 20 coaches good or bad.

But here is 9 (Not in any particular order)that come to mind that appear to have a pretty good clue.

Steve Pezzola, Donovan Blythe, Kelly Sopak, Doc Scheppler, Sue Phillips, Tom Gonsalves, Pico Wilburn, Malik McCord, Buck Mathews.

I am sure there are a few others, but I think the list of stand outs is closer to 12 than it is 20 IMO. If you ask someone more knowledgable, or include newer, past, assistant, and retired coaches, I'm sure that list would grow considerably.

Last edited:
I like that list of coaches ... but you know, you have to define what a "top coach" is. For example, was I a better coach (not saying I should be on the list, by the way) when I had really good talent and went 25-5 at Campo, or when we had no talent and went 10-17 at Bentley?

The default answer for "good coaching" is wins and losses, but I'm not so sure that should apply at the high school level. Erin Llewellyn does a tremendous job in very adverse circumstances at Emery, both in terms of teaching the game and helping her players, but I don't think many people know about the kind of work she does.

And there are many like her, working very hard with minimal talent to get to postseason every year, and losing early to coaches with much better players.

Or, to put it another way, I'm a lot better coach when I have really good players.

I agree with Clay, I think the measure of a great coach is how well you do with less talent vs. how great your team is with tremendous talent. There all types of people that could inherit a program like Mitty, SMS and so on and continue the success with the athletes that are already their but how many can build a team from the ground up to become a program like those two and also Public schools will never be on an equal playing field with Private schools so does that mean no Public school coaches are worth a damn?

Reactions: kkross22 and Paytc
I like that list of coaches ... but you know, you have to define what a "top coach" is. For example, was I a better coach (not saying I should be on the list, by the way) when I had really good talent and went 25-5 at Campo, or when we had no talent and went 10-17 at Bentley?

The default answer for "good coaching" is wins and losses, but I'm not so sure that should apply at the high school level. Erin Llewellyn does a tremendous job in very adverse circumstances at Emery, both in terms of teaching the game and helping her players, but I don't think many people know about the kind of work she does.

And there are many like her, working very hard with minimal talent to get to postseason every year, and losing early to coaches with much better players.

Or, to put it another way, I'm a lot better coach when I have really good players.

My answer to the top was considering good not great coaches. If you read my book "Win Anyway" one of the main criteria that defines "great" is doing more with less.So I do understand that difference.

And if I were to go further from good to "great" coaches my list of 8 would be cut in half to 4 or possibly 2 or 3. I wanted to at least point out a few coaches that I thought at least had somewhat of a clue. And that were probably able to win with or without a lot of talent. You would also hope a good coach wouldn't play favorites, and knew what combinations and rotations to use based on their teams talent, and what opponent they were playing. Not the one shoe fits all, my system is all that matters, ego non sense.

An example without calling out names is we have seen teams with all American players not be able to win a championship. That would be doing less with more, definitely not good coaching based on the circumstance IMO.

And Clay, I have witnessed first hand, you definitely have a clue on what it takes to be a good coach. At this point you would be considered if I included retired or assistant coaches, which were not considered, neither were newer coaches.

As I said, I was just pointing out a few of the top coaches as I saw them without spending a lot of time to compile the list or water it down. I also said a person with more knowledge with high school basketball than I would probably know of others to include.

Last edited:
I agree with Clay, I think the measure of a great coach is how well you do with less talent vs. how great your team is with tremendous talent. There all types of people that could inherit a program like Mitty, SMS and so on and continue the success with the athletes that are already their but how many can build a team from the ground up to become a program like those two and also Public schools will never be on an equal playing field with Private schools so does that mean no Public school coaches are worth a damn?

Azanna,

I agree with you and Clay fully on considering all circumstances. The pillars that hold up My book and philosophy "Win Anyway" are built upon those foundations. And that is why I am a big proponent of those who do more with less. I also appreciate those who do more with more. It always bothers me to see under achievement. I love those few who exceed expectations. And those who don't point fingers, pass the buck, or make excuses. But I didn't want to get into everything because I tend to post longer comments than most already. And I save my most thorough comments for my books, dvd's, film documentaries, and other projects. Those tend to elaborate more thoroughly. I'm not sure this is the forum to get that elaborate. Would members on here read my post if they were mini books (smile).

Last edited:
In terms of winning being the default measure, how many of us go to a game and watch the coach, rather than the players? how many go to a practice to see a coach teach? not me for either...

In terms of winning being the default measure, how many of us go to a game and watch the coach, rather than the players? how many go to a practice to see a coach teach? not me for either...

I may be weird..... but I do watch and appreciate good coaches, at practice, during drills, and their interaction with those they coach, before, during, and after the game. So yes, I watch the coaching. And I have gone to games to watch and learn from coaches who have develop an art for the job. And I appreciate the most accountable and composed coaches more so than I do the easily rattled, buck passing, excuse making, panicky finger pointers. And even good and great coaches have their good and not so good, games, tournaments, seasons, and moments. None of them are perfect as I point out in my book "Win Anyway".

I point that out in my book using Phil Jackson as an example. Lord only knows just how good a coach Phil Jackson is. I will say he is good with surrounding himself with the best players, trainers, GM's and assistant coaches. And supporting cast is a small yet important part of coaching and being successful. Name a coach that has done anything really significant alone?

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at this, in no particular order

Doug Sakamoto, Mission San Jose-This guys continues to have competitive teams year in and year out at a public school. always undersized but gets kids to play like giants!

Steve White, Oak Ridge-Has had a lot of success over the years at Oak Ridge. Kids play a read and react system that is very hard to guard. Again, another public school coach getting it done.

Sue Phillips, Mitty-I know she has a lot of haters on this board, but man can she coach. I've watched a couple of her practices (a couple years ago) and they're very organized and works the kids hard. Focus is on fundamentals, which you don't see much these days.

Matt Lane, Pittsburg-Perennial winner at Castlemont, now leading a Pittsburg program back to respectability. Relates well with his kids and gets them to play hard.

Cherri Craddock, Logan-Has done a great job at James Logan in the time that she's been there. Seems like her teams peak early, but none the less, she's doing a great job winning league last 2-3 years.

Monica Mertle, Cardinal Newman-What she's done at Cardinal Newman the last 3 years has been great. Puts a lot of time in the off-season and the team is getting better and better every year. will be interesting to see how this team does in the open division this year.

Tom Gonslaves, St. Mary's of Stockton-Hard to argue that he's not one of the top coaches in Norcal. His system crates havoc to opposing team and he has the hardware to prove it. Not sure how much of a developer he is, but his kids play extremely hard and fun to watch on the sidelines.

Kelly Sopek, Miramonte-He's done a fantastic job at Miramonte but also did a great job when he was at Northgate. Success seems to follow this guy wherever he goes. He's also one of the few HS coaches that has tremendous success at the AAU level (Sue also comes to mind).

Doc Sheppler, Pinewood-I've had the opportunity to watch an hour of one of his shooting clinics and man, can this guy teach, AND is probably a huge reason why his teams are so successful. Has established Pinewood as annual contenders for top teams in Norcal annually.

LaRyan Russel, Sacred Heart Cathedral-I was doubtful he'd be successful because he was a young guy with no head coaching experience, but he sure proved me wrong. His teams play hard, fundamental, and has had a lot of success in the short time he's been at SHC.

Bryan Gardere, Piedmont-Love him or hate him, he could have easily taken a college job after the Paris twins graduated. Instead, he's stuck around and has established Piedmont as one of the top Divison 4 teams in Norcal.

Jim Lemmon, Castro Valley-After the Ombudsman debacle that made Castro Valley the laughing stock in Norcal, Jim has done a great job building Castro Valley into a great Division I team in NCS and Norcal. All of his kids are local kids, which is unheard of in this day and age. His teams get better and better every year and his record proves this.

Victor Pittin, St. Francis-I've seen SF play quite a few times in the last 4 years and his teams are fun to watch. He's been at St. Francis in what seems like forever but his teams are annual SJS contenders every year.

Wade Nakamura, Presentation-Wade has had success everywhere he's been. Homestead, Leland, and now at Presentation. Unfortunately, he plays in the WCAL where you're playing all of the heavy hitters. But his teams are very fundamental, play hard and make it hard for teams to adjust (mixes it up a lot on defense). The apple does not fall far from the tree, and Gene Nakamura was one of the great coaches in Norcal, all-time.

Jessica Kunisaki, McClatchy-her teams are so fundamental and read the game very well! She's had a lot of success in the last 5-6 years with her teams contending for sectional and Norcals every year.

Allison Johnson, Vanden-She has had some teams loaded with talent and some with just marginal. Either way, her teams compete and play a very aggressive style of basketball. It's been great to see how far she's come as a coach and her teams get better as the year goes on.

Chris Roemer, Lincoln-I never knew that he played for Tom in high school and only knew him as a basketball reporter. Little did I know that he'd become a great basketball coach and has Lincoln playing great basketball since he took over a few years ago. Teams are fun to watch as they run and press all over the place.

Donovan Blythe, Eastside CP-at first i doubted his coaching ability, but what he's done with what he's had at ECP has been short of a miracle and I'm now a believer. There have been years where he's had 6-7 kids on his team, yet they win. Excellent teacher and gets the most out of his kids.

I know I left some of the coaches from heavy hitters out of this list, but I did it for a reason. A lot of those coaches, in my opinion, don't get the most out of their teams and rely on talent alone. All of the coaches I mentioned (in my opinion) are great coaches and have proved it on the court. They may not always be in Norcals or winning section/state championships but they do wonderful job with what they have. I also tried to balance between private and public school coaches. ;)

Some people judge coaching in different ways. In my opinion thinking coaching should be judge by these reasons:
1) Be able to quick adjustments before games get out of hand
2) How did they make that player better then their potential because everyone knows that some coaches get players that are already seasoned
3) How well did he/she prepare the team for the whole season
4) How many players did he/she actually help to get into college because like i said before a lot of player come to some teams already seasoned
5) Can the coach coach up his team

In my opinion a lot coaches off Nor Cal list won't be in the top 20 on mind because on my way of judging coaches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my list of top ten not in any order

1) Dovonan Blythe
2) Doc Sheppler
3) Pico Wilburn
4) Sue Phillips
5) Sean Chambers
6) Kelly Sopek
7) Allison Johnson
8) Bryan Gardere
9) Monica Mertle
10) Larry Price

All these coaches can be trainers and coach players past the potential. They also make great game adjustment and well connect to colleges.

Some people judge coaching in different ways. In my opinion thinking coaching should be judge by these reasons:
1) Be able to quick adjustments before games get out of hand
2) How did they make that player better then their potential because everyone knows that some coaches get players that are already seasoned
3) How well did he/she prepare the team for the whole season
4) How many players did he/she actually help to get into college because like i said before a lot of player come to some teams already seasoned
5) Can the coach coach up his team

In my opinion a lot coaches off Nor Cal list won't be in the top 20 on mind because on my way of judging coaches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my list of top ten not in any order

1) Dovonan Blythe
2) Doc Sheppler
3) Pico Wilburn
4) Sue Phillips
5) Sean Chambers
6) Kelly Sopek
7) Allison Johnson
8) Bryan Gardere
9) Monica Mertle
10) Larry Price

All these coaches can be trainers and coach players past the potential. They also make great game adjustment and well connect to colleges.

RestpectBBGame,

As you see the comments for your topic are rolling in as they should. That is why I suggested for your to give this subject it's own topic.

I do like your criteria for examples of good coaches. And I'm sure you have a good list.

And I'm glad to get other perspectives from folks who are more knowledgable on local high school basketball than I am. Good stuff. I also added Coach Buck Mathews to my list above.

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at this, in no particular order

Doug Sakamoto, Mission San Jose-This guys continues to have competitive teams year in and year out at a public school. always undersized but gets kids to play like giants!

Steve White, Oak Ridge-Has had a lot of success over the years at Oak Ridge. Kids play a read and react system that is very hard to guard. Again, another public school coach getting it done.

Sue Phillips, Mitty-I know she has a lot of haters on this board, but man can she coach. I've watched a couple of her practices (a couple years ago) and they're very organized and works the kids hard. Focus is on fundamentals, which you don't see much these days.

Matt Lane, Pittsburg-Perennial winner at Castlemont, now leading a Pittsburg program back to respectability. Relates well with his kids and gets them to play hard.

Cherri Craddock, Logan-Has done a great job at James Logan in the time that she's been there. Seems like her teams peak early, but none the less, she's doing a great job winning league last 2-3 years.

Monica Mertle, Cardinal Newman-What she's done at Cardinal Newman the last 3 years has been great. Puts a lot of time in the off-season and the team is getting better and better every year. will be interesting to see how this team does in the open division this year.

Tom Gonslaves, St. Mary's of Stockton-Hard to argue that he's not one of the top coaches in Norcal. His system crates havoc to opposing team and he has the hardware to prove it. Not sure how much of a developer he is, but his kids play extremely hard and fun to watch on the sidelines.

Kelly Sopek, Miramonte-He's done a fantastic job at Miramonte but also did a great job when he was at Northgate. Success seems to follow this guy wherever he goes. He's also one of the few HS coaches that has tremendous success at the AAU level (Sue also comes to mind).

Doc Sheppler, Pinewood-I've had the opportunity to watch an hour of one of his shooting clinics and man, can this guy teach, AND is probably a huge reason why his teams are so successful. Has established Pinewood as annual contenders for top teams in Norcal annually.

LaRyan Russel, Sacred Heart Cathedral-I was doubtful he'd be successful because he was a young guy with no head coaching experience, but he sure proved me wrong. His teams play hard, fundamental, and has had a lot of success in the short time he's been at SHC.

Bryan Gardere, Piedmont-Love him or hate him, he could have easily taken a college job after the Paris twins graduated. Instead, he's stuck around and has established Piedmont as one of the top Divison 4 teams in Norcal.

Jim Lemmon, Castro Valley-After the Ombudsman debacle that made Castro Valley the laughing stock in Norcal, Jim has done a great job building Castro Valley into a great Division I team in NCS and Norcal. All of his kids are local kids, which is unheard of in this day and age. His teams get better and better every year and his record proves this.

Victor Pittin, St. Francis-I've seen SF play quite a few times in the last 4 years and his teams are fun to watch. He's been at St. Francis in what seems like forever but his teams are annual SJS contenders every year.

Wade Nakamura, Presentation-Wade has had success everywhere he's been. Homestead, Leland, and now at Presentation. Unfortunately, he plays in the WCAL where you're playing all of the heavy hitters. But his teams are very fundamental, play hard and make it hard for teams to adjust (mixes it up a lot on defense). The apple does not fall far from the tree, and Gene Nakamura was one of the great coaches in Norcal, all-time.

Jessica Kunisaki, McClatchy-her teams are so fundamental and read the game very well! She's had a lot of success in the last 5-6 years with her teams contending for sectional and Norcals every year.

Allison Johnson, Vanden-She has had some teams loaded with talent and some with just marginal. Either way, her teams compete and play a very aggressive style of basketball. It's been great to see how far she's come as a coach and her teams get better as the year goes on.

Chris Roemer, Lincoln-I never knew that he played for Tom in high school and only knew him as a basketball reporter. Little did I know that he'd become a great basketball coach and has Lincoln playing great basketball since he took over a few years ago. Teams are fun to watch as they run and press all over the place.

Donovan Blythe, Eastside CP-at first i doubted his coaching ability, but what he's done with what he's had at ECP has been short of a miracle and I'm now a believer. There have been years where he's had 6-7 kids on his team, yet they win. Excellent teacher and gets the most out of his kids.

I know I left some of the coaches from heavy hitters out of this list, but I did it for a reason. A lot of those coaches, in my opinion, don't get the most out of their teams and rely on talent alone. All of the coaches I mentioned (in my opinion) are great coaches and have proved it on the court. They may not always be in Norcals or winning section/state championships but they do wonderful job with what they have. I also tried to balance between private and public school coaches. ;)

Norcal_Fan,

I will look out for those on your's(and RespectBBGame"s) list that I'm not familiar with in the future. Thanks for adding your insight and perspective.

Just to add to what I have said about one of my definitions for "great" is doing more with less. We still can't punish successful coaches who were fortunate to have a lot of talent year end and year out who also manage to consistently be successful each year.

Many times talented players are attracted to the program because of the coach. So we have to give them some of the credit.

I think good coaches are similar to a good and true point guard. They make others better. It's not just about them and their ego. They are personally accountable and lead with that accountability until they empower those they are coaching to lead themselves. They understand when they need to step in to make a difference(or sit back and just empower others)by scoring, managing the game, changing the lineup, or the offense or defense. They are good before, during , and after a game, tournament, or season. They make better players, and better individuals. By teaching mental, emotional, and physical fundamentals and character development, that last years after the player(s) or student(s) are gone. A leader with their ego in check who provides a lasting affect.They're also humble and keep learning and getting better as a coach themselves. Not an egotistical know it all.

Furthermore, there are coaches out there so bad they could have all the talent in the world and not know what to do with it. There are teams with unknown talent because some coaches drop the ball or just really don't care enough, or have a clue. And many times that unknown talent never taps into their potential waiting exclusively on the integrity and courageless coach they were given, not that they choose, if they just wanted the school for other reasons aside from athletics. Athletic directors have to be accountable. And young kids and parents really have to do a little research not just selecting a high school , but the right college fit as well. I take my hat off to the coaches who do a good job, and really care about those they are coaching. Whether they are a higher profile coach who has won state championships or someone riding under the radar making better players and better individuals.

Last edited:
All these are great lists, and good coaches, including Harrigan. But again, I just want to give credit to those coaches, especially at the smaller schools, who do a good job year in and year out and don't have elite talent so never get deep into postseason. (Note that every coach mentioned has done very well in playoffs, which isn't a bad thing, but is as much a measure of talent as coaching ability.)

I'm going to mention another coach I have faced many times, Dani Oswood of Athenian. She was a tremendous player at Carondelet, and has done a great job with limited talent at Athenian. Add her to the list that includes Erin Llewellen at Emery, and Larry Minnick at Bay, and Rick DeMarini at Marin Catholic and on and on.

It's one thing to have talent, and coach it up, and see the rewards in playoffs and postseason. It's another to work with limited talent, coach it up and struggle to make any kind of playoffs, knowing you'll get blown out when you run into a school that recruits. (And that's not a complaint -- schools that recruit are part of the landscape, and if they annoy you too much, you can't really enjoy coaching.)

So look around your area at schools that don't win league titles, but have a coach who's been at it a long time (Hans deLannoy at Dublin, for example) and just keeps on keepin' on. Look especially at the small schools, where coaches are working with kids who only play during the season, and know they'll never pick up a ball after they graduate. Granted, there are some crummy coaches at that level, but judging high school coaches by the talent that plays for them and the wins they accumulate isn't really the best method, I don't think.

Clay
I agree with about a lot coaches that coach. The coaches that I don't particularly care about are the ones that hold their kids hostage from playing with other AAU teams.
AAU IS THE BIGGEST EXPOSURE for GIRLS BASKETBALL.
Players need a break from their high school coach sometimes. This allows players to be exposed to different types of offenses and defenses. Some players need to be exposed to competition that they don't see all year. When I'm talking about organize AAU teams not the mom a pops team that are coach by parent that thinks their kids is the best. There is nothing wrong with think their are the but reality check is in order sometimes. Each their new AAU and 1 out of the 20 will be decent at best. Momsand pops AAU teams are a good start 5 to 7 thenow it's time to move to an organized AAU team that will expose the players.
The worst coaches that are out the are ones the play relationship before talent. I know some of these coaches and schools they coach. This why I think players should have the right to transfer where every school they want to go. Who made CIF officials God and tell kids the you sit if the players want out of a bad situation? They not firing bad coaches or making decisions that can help the Student athlete. If there is CIF there SHOULD BE A PLAYERS UNION FOR THE STUDENT ATHLETES.

THIS IS THE BEST QUESTION OF THE DAY WHO MADE THE CIF THE dictator of CA SPORTS? I TAUGHT WE LIVE IN AMERICA TO HAVE CHOICES NOT SOMEONE TELL STUDENTS THEY MUST STAY IN SCHOOL THE DON'T LIKE OR YOU WILL BE PUNISHED?????? What happened to democracy in the school systems??????? Students rights book don't give students any right to refuse going to their school???

CAN ANYONE ANSWER ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS?????

Last edited:
ok KKROSS..

I will come right out and ask the question I really wanted to ask...

I understand that SMS is disputing the transfer as athletically motivated. And the SJS agrees...

Is Sierra Smith going to be eligible to pay at Salesian this coming year?

how's that for being straight forward?

oh...and BTW I am hoping she is eligible to play for Salesian. But Im hearing the question of eligibility hasn't been decided yet.

According to Harold Abend at Cal Hi today.....SIERRA SMITH has won her appeal and has been ruled eligible to play at SALESIAN this year.

which begs the question....why was an appeal needed if SMS wasn't disputing the transfer (according to PASSIONATEDAD) and why did KKross play dumb when I brought it up? CLEARLY he knew she was ineligible or again, why was an appeal needed?
Why all the secrecy and denials on a legit question????? SMH

and once again my sources where SOLID....don't ever doubt the GURU.

PS.....to PAYTC and the rest, my other post re: MM and the out of district girls housing was rock solid on that source also....so delete it if you want off of NCP but again my source was solid...so go ahead and stick your head in the sand on that.....

again don't doubt the GURU....

Rock solid, you may be, but it doesn't matter whether a school outside the section doesn't protest a transfer. It's up to the section to determine eligibility ...

Reactions: kkross22
Guru,

I am Sierra's mother, a she, not a he.
I never tried to play dumb. But you were definitely trying to stir a pot that did not need stirring. On top of that, you were indeed wrong, and barking up the wrong tree.
It definitely would not have made sense for us to take the bait you were tossing, before the process was over, to put out publicly what was really going on behind the scenes.
Now that it's over, and Sierra's eligible, there's still no need to discuss anything publicly. How about a "Congratulations Sierra, wishing you nothing but the best on your new journey, with your new teammates and coach!"

Last edited:
Congratulations to Sierra Smith against the CIF dictatorship. Good luck during your season.

This should CIF on notice that Students athletes do have rights and should appeal for what is right. LIKE I WAS SAYING THE STUDENT ATHLETES NEED A UNION LIKE THE WNBA TO FIGHT FOR THEIR RIGHTS. MOST PARENTS ARE SCARED OF THE CIF OFFICIALS BUT NOT NO MORE. GIVE THE STUDENTS A GOOD LAWYER TO FIGHT AGAINST FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION!!!!!!!

Without rules, there is utter chaos. Every state has rules governing prep sports. CA is no different in that regard. And every individual case is different. AAU is free-form, go-where-you-want, play-where-you-want. Great. Prep players can have it both ways. And that's a good thing.

Reactions: kkross22 and Paytc
Rules are great but there are coaches and schools that abuse the rules. If rules are set they need to stay within the bill of rights. No students shouldn't have to go to a school they aren't happy with or don't feel that they belong. That's like in the old communist countries tell you that you will a truck driver and that's all you can be!!!!! Rules should befit both parties not only president. That's why in USA we have check and balance. Where is the check and balances in the CIF especially all of the run different from each other!!!!!!

Without rules, there is utter chaos. Every state has rules governing prep sports. CA is no different in that regard. And every individual case is different. AAU is free-form, go-where-you-want, play-where-you-want. Great. Prep players can have it both ways. And that's a good thing.

Funny, high school drama, choir, music, debate and every other extracurricular activity gets along just fine without a long rulebook. Why just athletics?

The CIF is too involved. A kid should be able to go to whatever school they wish and entry should ONLY be decided by the school district they are attempting to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT