ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins SMS OR Clovis West ????

RespectBBGame

Sports Fanatic
Mar 16, 2015
This will be a good game but if Clovis West start rain 3's it will be over quick and a hurry. Both team press well but give a little edge to SMS because the are a slightly more athletic. But give Clovis West an edge on ball control. This will be a good one but I will pick Clovis west by more the 10 in the end.

Who do anyone think will win and explain why you think that way???

Clovis West wins if they are hot with their 3's. Else, if St. Mary's plays like they did yesterday vs how they played on Monday, it will be a close game with the Rams having a chance to pull off the upset. I don't see the Rams raining 3's to keep up with Clovis West, without Naje' Murray (out with injury). They are just not the same team as last year. But, they are difficult to defend in the post with Decosta and Oliver, along with Neenah Young and Ariel Johnson driving the lane. Decosta's game has stepped up a bit compared to last year, as she isn't missing many put backs off rebounds or layups. The freshman, Oliver, is improving with each game, too.

I got SMS.

I love CW...I've been on their bandwagon all year. I truly believe they are legit and will be the #1 seed in the south for the OPEN.

BUT......

The big horse in the middle for SMS has been dominating the CW girls for years and has NEVER lost to them. I've always believed there's something about having another teams number.....Until CW proves to me they can beat DeCosta I will take SMS.

SMS by 6

Bulldogmgc

I dont having Murray wouldnt make a difference. Last years team with Cayton Tudor, A. Johonson and transfer Smith was a great matured team. This year is good and far from last years team by far. They are a good team just nothing like last year.

Northbay

I like your think about they havent beat them yet but i seen how good CW is this year. CW will get real physical with DeCosta and take her out of her game. CW shouldn't have lose to Mitty they beat themselves in the end of the game by missing the layup. If Mitty didn't make 9 3's in the beginning it would have game would have been done in the 3rd quarter. The way to defend Mitty teams are seeing is to play them man to man. This takes away the big swing passes that they make very well. But that's not an easy task!!!!!

Northbay

I like your think about they havent beat them yet but i seen how good CW is this year. CW will get real physical with DeCosta and take her out of her game. CW shouldn't have lose to Mitty they beat themselves in the end of the game by missing the layup. If Mitty didn't make 9 3's in the beginning it would have game would have been done in the 3rd quarter. The way to defend Mitty teams are seeing is to play them man to man. This takes away the big swing passes that they make very well. But that's not an easy task!!!!!
Respect - You already called out SMS before the season calling them the Tracy Storm and we would see how much they would drop this season. They have already proved you wrong. They are in the semifinal of the toughest tournament in the country. Win or lose they are a force to be reckoned with but I am sure you will try to slam them if they lose.

Jaymel911

I said the are good just not as good as last year with all the graduations of Cayton , Tudor , and Smith the enforcer. Smith transfer to Salesian was big too. But yes they are good but not like last year!!!!!!

You warned everyone to "wait until next year...... Tracy Storm". They have proven you wrong. I would not be surprised if they were playing for an open championship

Bulldogmgc

I dont having Murray wouldnt make a difference. Last years team with Cayton Tudor, A. Johonson and transfer Smith was a great matured team. This year is good and far from last years team by far. They are a good team just nothing like last year.

Not having Murray doesn't make a difference? Really?

Murray (74) was St. Mary's leader in 3 pointers last year, not Tudor (66). Murray adds the 3 point threat to St. Mary's offense that is missing, an attribute the Rams have been known for over the years. Without the 3 point threat, defenses can pack it against the Rams. Neenah Young (22) is currently the Rams only threat beyond the arc.

I agree that the Rams are nothing like last year. But, that's because instead of depending on the 3 (Murray and Tudor), their post player (Decosta) AND driving the lane (Cayton), the Rams this year will depend on their post players (Decosta and Oliver) and driving the lane (Ariel Johnson). When they don't feel comfortable hitting the 3, they drive the lane, just as they did more so in years with Ali Gibson and Onome Jemerigbe. St. Mary's press is not as good without Smith and she sure could have helped with driving the offense at PG (good at driving the lane). Smith didn't really showcase her skills on offense because there were others taking on this role of scoring or working the point more (Cayton).

The Rams are missing both Smith and Murray this year, but IMHO, missing Murray is a bit bigger, just because it leaves a void for the Rams with not much beyond the arc threat. Murray is a good defender, too, but may not as good as Sierra (her strength), but the Rams defense predicates on team defense and I don't think there is much fall-off in this area. The system Gonsalves has place continues to thrive year to year.

It's the offense this year that is much different. I wouldn't say it's that far off from being very good. It may be just good right now. But, unlike the mature team of last year, this year's team needs to mature as it is very young, especially starting a freshman. Once the chemistry is there, and it will be there by year's end, I think we may see a very good St. Mary's girls basketball team, maybe still not as good as last year's team, but definitely different with "both" Decosta and Oliver on the court. Who knows? Maybe Murray will return when they need her most?

BTW, this St. Mary's team can still whoop Brookside. Just saying.

Reactions: Willtalk
St. Mary's biggest weakness this year was their strength last year ... .their depth. Versus Clovis West, they got deep into foul trouble and there just is not any depth to backfill in this kind of situation. Still they are able to stay close with Clovis West in the closing minutes, down 53-57 with 3:39 left in the game.

Neenah Young called for her 4th offensive foul when they had a chance to tie.

Just over 30 seconds left, scoreboard states 59-55 Clovis West lead. Announcers stating its a 6 point 61-55 lead. Which is it?

This game is over. CW 63 SMS 58. St. Mary's had the early lead, but just not enough depth. The talent is just not there past the starting five for the Rams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT