ADVERTISEMENT

Why parents look at sports differently now

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

It's not that parents are different -- it's not that people have changed -- it's that the stakes are higher, and the cost of college has risen so much.

So of course parents are more involved and put on more pressure, because an athletic scholarship, or any kind of financial aid, is so much more important than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

There has been a big shift going on the last decade with a college education as well. Kids get degrees that don't pay the bills after college and are saddled with debt. My parents said it best. When they grew up college was a privilege for the select %. Now its for everybody.... But did we suddenly become smarter as a population. No. College became a money making machine because demand went through the roof. Some kids should be focused on real life skills like being a plumber, electrician, welder, etc.... At my company, welders can make 150k a year and electricians the same. We can't find mechanics to work on heavy equipment. But hey I got a degree from CAL in anthropology and owe $100k but I can only get a job at Starbucks. Makes no sense.

And btw,,, a lot of sports parents suck today because they are way to involved. Yes they have changed. My parents worked and came to our games when they could. They let us be kids and develop on our own. I played college hoops and you look at half these clowns who think there kids are god and they are lousy. Get real and be real with your kids.

Parents are different and so are the kids we raise. Thirty yrs. ago your child getting a scholarship was just as important but those parents allowed their kids to evolve and become adults, these parents do not hold their kids accountable and blame everyone around them for their child’s short comings. These same parents are now calling college professors on behalf of their baby.

Last edited:
Sports today are big money and a lot of parents see that as a motivation. College scholarships are very competitive and since title ix they have grown into more opportunities for female athletes. College enrollment for high school graduates is at 66 percent which is a 27 percent increase since 2000. 7 percent of varsity players go on to play college sports and only 2 percent play D1. So scholarships are hard to get and some of the scholarships are only partials. Parents tend to live through their children nowadays. They are more involved in education and athletics. I’m not sure if that is really a bad thing, our parents let the coach do anything they wanted because they were the coach. Parents now make coaches accountable and administrators aware. Some overdue it and it is a pain for the coach. But as a parent you should be able to have an open line of communication with the coach. Not all parents of athletes are overbearing and some let coaches coach. It’s their child and they have every right to be involved in the process of recruiting and what their son or daughter is doing. Now with that said they should not be involved in playing time, practices, and the x’s and o’s. The world has evolved when it comes to high school sports and so have the athletes and parents. They know just as much as the coaches and trainers, they have paid for lessons and have watched YouTube.

Last edited:
Parents are different and so are the kids we raise. Thirty yrs. ago your child getting a scholarship was just as important but those parents allowed their kids to evolve and become adults, these parents do not hold their kids accountable and blame everyone around them for their child’s short comings. These same parents are now calling college professors on behalf of their baby.

Absolutely agree 100%.

Reactions: Scott2138
There has been a big shift going on the last decade with a college education as well. Kids get degrees that don't pay the bills after college and are saddled with debt. My parents said it best. When they grew up college was a privilege for the select %. Now its for everybody.... But did we suddenly become smarter as a population. No. College became a money making machine because demand went through the roof. Some kids should be focused on real life skills like being a plumber, electrician, welder, etc.... At my company, welders can make 150k a year and electricians the same. We can't find mechanics to work on heavy equipment. But hey I got a degree from CAL in anthropology and owe $100k but I can only get a job at Starbucks. Makes no sense.

And btw,,, a lot of sports parents suck today because they are way to involved. Yes they have changed. My parents worked and came to our games when they could. They let us be kids and develop on our own. I played college hoops and you look at half these clowns who think there kids are god and they are lousy. Get real and be real with your kids.

Totally agree with this comment. If you're going to college whether on a scholarship or not, you should be majoring in a field that allows you to be financially independent....finance, engineering, marketing, etc. Playing college sports and majoring in ethnic studies and art history is probably not going to help the kid be financially successful after graduation. But that comes down to the parents willing to have that real conversation with their child. I as a parent discouraged my son to play D3 college basketball and major in Kinesiology. He then made the decision to just play intramurals and club basketball and major in engineering.

Totally agree with this comment. If you're going to college whether on a scholarship or not, you should be majoring in a field that allows you to be financially independent....finance, engineering, marketing, etc. Playing college sports and majoring in ethnic studies and art history is probably not going to help the kid be financially successful after graduation. But that comes down to the parents willing to have that real conversation with their child. I as a parent discouraged my son to play D3 college basketball and major in Kinesiology. He then made the decision to just play intramurals and club basketball and major in engineering.

Most kids on athletic scholarships have a limited choice of what they can major in. There are some exceptions if the coach will let you but because of weights, practice and games it is hard to get some classes. Student athletes maybe students first but coaches want them to be athletes first.

I raised 2 kids who graduated college on scholarships, and it was not easy. Me and my wife spent alot of time and money to prepare our kids for their journey. As parents you need to be supportive, inspire your kids and hold them accountable, but the ultimate driver is if the child really wants it. I have seen the daddy coaches, soccer moms and downright delusional parent that want it more than their child and that book never ends well. My only advice to parents is to hold your kids accountable, tell them the truth and try and create as much adversity for them as possible so that they get ready for the real world. We live in a world now where most kids have $1000 cell phones, $200 shoes, $75 an hour trainers and it cost $12 to eat at Mcdonalds now.

Also most kids dont even really get to pick their major unless you are a 4.0 student or they found a way to get you into the school due to impacted majors. Sometimes you cant even take the right classes because it interferes with practice time. Parents do your research when talking to these colleges because you will very upset when they dont graduate on time due to taking right classes.

The NCAA does its best to keep parents uninformed because that way the system is entirely controlled by the schools and college coaches. For example, what is the reason that high school athletes can't have agents? What would be the problem? High school kids have no leverage anyway ...

But the NCAA (and the colleges that run it) want to make sure no one really understands what's going on until after their child has gone through the system. If people did understand, college quarterbacks would justifiably make as much money as college coaches.

I raised 2 kids who graduated college on scholarships, and it was not easy. Me and my wife spent alot of time and money to prepare our kids for their journey. As parents you need to be supportive, inspire your kids and hold them accountable, but the ultimate driver is if the child really wants it. I have seen the daddy coaches, soccer moms and downright delusional parent that want it more than their child and that book never ends well. My only advice to parents is to hold your kids accountable, tell them the truth and try and create as much adversity for them as possible so that they get ready for the real world. We live in a world now where most kids have $1000 cell phones, $200 shoes, $75 an hour trainers and it cost $12 to eat at Mcdonalds now.

Also most kids dont even really get to pick their major unless you are a 4.0 student or they found a way to get you into the school due to impacted majors. Sometimes you cant even take the right classes because it interferes with practice time. Parents do your research when talking to these colleges because you will very upset when they dont graduate on time due to taking right classes.
I agree with you hundred% for example times have changed Burbank walked off the football field in third-quarter because Sheldon was hitting them too hard, just quit and now we’re supposed to all act like that’s OK

Reactions: von60118
I agree with you hundred% for example times have changed Burbank walked off the football field in third-quarter because Sheldon was hitting them too hard, just quit and now we’re supposed to all act like that’s OK

Is that entire story? What was the score at the time? How many players did Burbank have on its team? How many did Sheldon have?

If there was an excessive risk of injury to Burbank players, should the game have continued, even if three or four students wound up having surgery?

Of course, quitting just because things are going well is unacceptable; but quitting to avoid serious injury -- a worker at a business that is unsafe, say -- is something else entirely.

Is that entire story? What was the score at the time? How many players did Burbank have on its team? How many did Sheldon have?

If there was an excessive risk of injury to Burbank players, should the game have continued, even if three or four students wound up having surgery?

Of course, quitting just because things are going well is unacceptable; but quitting to avoid serious injury -- a worker at a business that is unsafe, say -- is something else entirely.
Yes they should’ve kept playing, never give up never Quit.

Never quit, even if it costs you a serious injury? Your death? The death of your child?

"Never" is a pretty big word.

Am I? You send your boy out in a football game because the starters are all hurt, but you have to finish the game. He's not very big and not very skilled but he's all they've got. He's trying to tackle a kid 50 pounds heavier running top speed. It's 55-0 in the third quarter but the other coach keeps the starters in because "they need the work."

I agree with Clay to an extent. Continuing to "play" contact football down 55-0 in the 3rd quarter is pointless given the risks involved with the game.

That said, if parents are worried about the risks why are they allowing their sons to participate in the first place.

Young men who are not very big and not very skilled should not be participating in high school football.

Penn state just smashed Idaho 79-9. Then again Idaho probably got 1m for playing they game. In terms of the game above coaches should probably come together at half Or end of 3rd and say shows over.

I’m done with this because now you’re just being ridiculous

Azanna, not that ridiculous. According to the Sacramento Bee, they were down to the minimum of players allowed to play a game, when they stopped.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Let Coaches be Tough on your kids when they get to the High School age. Someday they will have a bad boss. They will need to figure it out sooner or later! Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be able to help you when you don't hit that quota! Had my son come home from practice the other night and told me that his DC ripped him a new one in Film in front of everyone all hour during film study. He said I have never been yelled at like that in my life! Then last night they played and he Balled the F Out!

Let Coaches be Tough on your kids when they get to the High School age. Someday they will have a bad boss. They will need to figure it out sooner or later! Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be able to help you when you don't hit that quota! Had my son come home from practice the other night and told me that his DC ripped him a new one in Film in front of everyone all hour during film study. He said I have never been yelled at like that in my life! Then last night they played and he Balled the F Out!
Bravo, nothing wrong with a kid getting yelled at but Clay would not agree with you. Clay would say “your kid should have quit and walked off the field”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT