ADVERTISEMENT

Wood 66 - River Valley 46

Just curious. In no way am I being sarcastic but does Wood practice defense at their practices? Because if they had a mediocre defense they would be Folsom like if not better.

FIGHT ON AND ROLL THE TIDE!!!

CT4L

I agree last year in the playoffs they gave State Champion Del Oro all they could handle final score was like 55-45

I agree last year in the playoffs they gave State Champion Del Oro all they could handle final score was like 55-45
Hey Dan, I could be wrong but it makes me think the head coach is the DC and not the OC.

CT4L

Have to admit the defense played better last week against Concord; but it's not like the defense didn't do anything last night; they did take two picks to the house. The special team gave up another TD which didn't help matters.

Have to admit the defense played better last week against Concord; but it's not like the defense didn't do anything last night; they did take two picks to the house. The special team gave up another TD which didn't help matters.
If I were a fan of the Wood program I would (hope) the coaches would get more consistency in this aspect of their game. As I said before, their offense seems to be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Over the past few years Wood's football program has become a household name here in the SJS. If the coaches can sew up the inconsistencies on their defense I think they can become a perennial power in a few years. Coach Cattolico did it at Pleasant Grove with a new program and I'll be shocked if he doesn't do it with his Sheldon program. Basically I see something good brewing in that Wood program and I'm hoping they can make it (through) the finish line.

CT4L

Reactions: Dan12Kings
If I were a fan of the Wood program I would (hope) the coaches would get more consistency in this aspect of their game. As I said before, their offense seems to be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Over the past few years Wood's football program has become a household name here in the SJS. If the coaches can sew up the inconsistencies on their defense I think they can become a perennial power in a few years. Coach Cattolico did it at Pleasant Grove with a new program and I'll be shocked if he doesn't do it with his Sheldon program. Basically I see something good brewing in that Wood program and I'm hoping they can make it (through) the finish line.

CT4L

Could have not stated it any better, Wood has the right things going for them as they have been getting good talent lately and they have a really good passing game and also have been mixing in the run on top of that. Last year I'm sure they were the only team to come within 10 points of Del Oro in the playoffs and even the State Championship game wasn't that close.

Last year I'm sure they were the only team to come within 10 points of Del Oro in the playoffs

Actually, all of Del Oro's playoff wins were by 10 points or less. The Wood game was probably the most comfortable win they had.

I think Dan12Kings point was nobody put up as many yards or points like Wood did against Del Oro. According to MaxPreps Wood had 811 yards of all purpose yards against the state champs. Close to 500 (483) passing and 208 rushing. But that was then, and now is now. It's interesting to see this years team put up some good numbers after graduating 31 seniors. Now we will see if they can consistently stop teams.

Does Wood still kick onsides after every score? Recall reading that was their motto last year. It results in more offensive possessions on average. A first fix to their defensive woes would be to change their scheme. What they have in place must not match who they have on the field.

Don't think it will be a mainstay this year like last, saw two or three attempts so far out of about fifteen ko's.

Last edited:
I think Dan12Kings point was nobody put up as many yards or points like Wood did against Del Oro. According to MaxPreps Wood had 811 yards of all purpose yards against the state champs. Close to 500 (483) passing and 208 rushing.

I wasn't disputing that. Just wanted to be factual about the scoring.

But as easily as you could point out the offensive yards and points, you could also say Wood surrendered more points and yards to Del Oro that the other teams. It goes both ways. I think there style and pace of play dictates that.

In the end, I don't think Wood provided more of a challenge to Del Oro than Whitney, Granite Bay, Rocklin, Liberty or Camarillo -- which was the underlying point.

Having conveyed that, Wood's program has shown a lot of growth since Coach Meraz took over in 2010. They are 41-27 under his leadership. That's significant considering they were 66-136-1 (all-time) before he got there. And almost half those wins occurred during Tim Galli's 5-year stint in the late 90's. They certainly are on the upswing and a program I've had my eye on for the past couple seasons.

Last edited:
Offense was thrusting on all cylinders but thr Defense Brakes were not working hope they work on it

I wasn't disputing that. Just wanted to be factual about the scoring.

But as easily as you could point out the offensive yards and points, you could also say Wood surrendered more points and yards to Del Oro that the other teams. It goes both ways. I think there style and pace of play dictates that.

In the end, I don't think Wood provided more of a challenge to Del Oro than Whitney, Granite Bay, Rocklin, Liberty or Camarillo -- which was the underlying point.

Having conveyed that, Wood's program has shown a lot of growth since Coach Meraz took over in 2010. They are 41-27 under his leadership. That's significant considering they were 66-136-1 (all-time) before he got there. And almost half those wins occurred during Tim Galli's 5-year stint in the late 90's. They certainly are on the upswing and a program I've had my eye on for the past couple seasons.

Yup I agree, I was trying to say that nobody put up as much points as Wood on DO. Also you are right Wood wasn't the toughest opponent but it was the one that DO had the most trouble stopping.

I'm glad Wood is getting noticed now and talked about, they aren't the cakewalk they used to be before. It will be fun come Black and Blue Bowl.

I'm glad Wood is getting noticed now and talked about, they aren't the cakewalk they used to be before. It will be fun come Black and Blue Bowl.

I would think you have disdain for Vacaville's 'lil brother program -- especially if they start outperforming big brother. ;)

I would think you have disdain for Vacaville's 'lil brother program -- especially if they start outperforming big brother. ;)

Not really, not until I see them scheduling as tough as the Bulldogs, maybe if they schedule Oak Ridge and they beat them before Vacaville does lol :D:D:D

So what is the line on Liberty, anyone know? They beat San Leandro by one point and lost to Vacaville by 11 who was clobbered by Oak Ridge. Wood seems to score at will depending on who they play, defensively it sounds like Concord matched up well or knows how to defend the spread. River Valley obviously had trouble with the Wood spread, much as Del Oro still hasn't figured it out per above. Coach Meraz seems to be doing a great job at Wood on one side of the ball, does Liberty have the offense to match?

So what is the line on Liberty, anyone know? They beat San Leandro by one point and lost to Vacaville by 11 who was clobbered by Oak Ridge. Wood seems to score at will depending on who they play, defensively it sounds like Concord matched up well or knows how to defend the spread. River Valley obviously had trouble with the Wood spread, much as Del Oro still hasn't figured it out per above. Coach Meraz seems to be doing a great job at Wood on one side of the ball, does Liberty have the offense to match?

I believe Liberty will give the Wildcats a fight and pull another "upset." They showed some good defense against Vacaville I thought their offense did ok. They have a good size QB that can move around and throw the football under pressure as Vacaville was chasing him all night long and he was still able to get the football out.

Reactions: RunningRon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT