ADVERTISEMENT

Woodside forfeits

And we are smarter, more disciplined, healthier as a society for excommunicating football from the lives of our youths today. Hard work, accountability, perseverance, struggle, humans working together towards a measured goal etc. all gibberish!

We must do all we can to weed out chronic male aggressiveness and shelter ourselves from that hunter gatherer that lurks in our DNA. Truly a golden age to be woke.

And we are smarter, more disciplined, healthier as a society for excommunicating football from the lives of our youths today. Hard work, accountability, perseverance, struggle, humans working together towards a measured goal etc. all gibberish!

We must do all we can to weed out chronic male aggressiveness and shelter ourselves from that hunter gatherer that lurks in our DNA. Truly a golden age to be woke.

Gibberish? This is Real Stuff! I am offended by these Vegan overtones. Long Live SPORT! LONG LIVE MEN! OOOOORAAAAAHHHH!! Insert Grunt. STEAK it is whats for Dinner and a good game of Football!
I know alot of "People" (Lets Just call them People because we don't want to offend anyone) who hate MEN until its time to do real men SH*T

Friday Night Lights Forever!!!!

The slow, depressing decline of public school football in the schools from SF to SJ is not going to stop anytime soon. Too many factors are conspiring to put a fork in the prep sport for too many of the publics. The private/parochials will benefit as the publics deteriorate. It's not pretty to watch from the sidelines. But it's an inexorable slide.

With the obvious decline on the Peninsula public, any thoughts to maybe combining schools in the PAL to build numbers and maybe more interest.

Terra Nova/HMB
South City/ El Camino/Jefferson
Capuchino/Mills
Burlingame/San Mateo
Aragon/Hillsdale
Carlmont/Sequoia
MA/Woodside

Make it an B league and tell the privates in the league now to pound sand.

Rivalry games go away(Little Big Game, Bell Game, Battle of the Flea, etc)

Something has to change or else the Rivalry games are going to go away anyway from lack of interest and knowledge of schools football traditions.

So dramatic.

Questions: who are the HCs for these teams? Where do they practice? How does the gate get divided? I’m sure there are other issues

Terra Nova/HMB
South City/ El Camino/Jefferson
Capuchino/Mills
Burlingame/San Mateo
Aragon/Hillsdale
Carlmont/Sequoia
MA/Woodside

Make it an B league and tell the privates in the league now to pound sand.

Rivalry games go away(Little Big Game, Bell Game, Battle of the Flea, etc)

Something has to change or else the Rivalry games are going to go away anyway from lack of interest and knowledge of schools football traditions.[/QUOTE]

Lota of issues logistically obviously. But doable. Opens up lots of field time at schools to make work. Parents take kids before they are able to drive, all over the United States to participate in sports. I also think the Districts can provide some transportation if necessary.
More players if combined schools, can then possibly get Freshmen, JV and Varsity programs.

San Mateo/Burlingame, Cap/Mills, SSF/El Camino and Aragon/Hillsdale are all within 1.5 miles of each other. The others are within 5, except HMB/Terra Nova, but both on the coast and can just take hwy 1 about 15 miles.

Yes, outside the box, but programs are going to die in Peninsula if something isnt done.

Lota of issues logistically obviously. But doable. Opens up lots of field time at schools to make work. Parents take kids before they are able to drive, all over the United States to participate in sports. I also think the Districts can provide some transportation if necessary.
More players if combined schools, can then possibly get Freshmen, JV and Varsity programs.

San Mateo/Burlingame, Cap/Mills, SSF/El Camino and Aragon/Hillsdale are all within 1.5 miles of each other. The others are within 5, except HMB/Terra Nova, but both on the coast and can just take hwy 1 about 15 miles.

Yes, outside the box, but programs are going to die in Peninsula if something isnt done.
South San Francisco will rebound. They have a solid freshman class with 4-5 talented guys.

Reactions: MC415
So SSF has a JV and Frosh program and are forfeiting games at the JV level?? Are they forfeiting game at the Frosh level too?
Why not just eliminate the Frosh program and build JV numbers?

Frosh football is fairly new in the PAL, all Frosh sports are, boys and girls, and not all schools have Frosh programs, correct? Most Frosh programs in the PAL have to be self funded. No district money.

In the days of watching my kids in the PAL and NPL, it was always just Frosh-Soph and Varsity for all sports.

So SSF has a JV and Frosh program and are forfeiting games at the JV level?? Are they forfeiting game at the Frosh level too?
Why not just eliminate the Frosh program and build JV numbers?

Frosh football is fairly new in the PAL, all Frosh sports are, boys and girls, and not all schools have Frosh programs, correct? Most Frosh programs in the PAL have to be self funded. No district money.

In the days of watching my kids in the PAL and NPL, it was always just Frosh-Soph and Varsity for all sports.

No. SSF has a JV team only. There are 14 frosh listed on that unit. The team has played just one actual game, losing it. It started the year capturing two forfeit "wins." Then there was last Friday's forfeit. The question remains: Can the SSF program finish out the year?

Correct SSF has only two teams, varsity and frosh soph. No freshman team (most teams in the PAL don't have a frosh team.) However both have dangerously low numbers. In my opinion it's not about concussion hysteria. They had a good coach who left for a better opportunity and made a bad hire. In that community trust is huge and when the trust was broken, kids ran for the exits and many let their grades go. Recipe for disaster.

The only teams that need to combine maybe immediately are SSF and EC. Mills was in trouble but looks like they hired the right guy and are digging their way out of the cellar. Cap is fine with on campus coach. SM, BHS, MA, Carlmont, TN, Hillsdale, HMB, even Jeff (with new coach who is doing a good job) are fine.

Menlo and SHP different animal but fine as far as numbers.

Aragon and Sequoia uncharacteristically bad but that will not be permanent (I hope.)

Reactions: Barking Dog
Man, that comeback TRASH. Even worse then that whiny rant i originally responded to.

Speed, maybe my attempt at levity missed the mark. Reading comprehension is a fickle mistress, so I cut you some slack. So what’s the problem, you cared enough to respond? You’re better than that Champ!

Signed Dad...

There's one more thing:
Correct SSF has only two teams, varsity and frosh soph. No freshman team (most teams in the PAL don't have a frosh team.) However both have dangerously low numbers. In my opinion it's not about concussion hysteria. They had a good coach who left for a better opportunity and made a bad hire. In that community trust is huge and when the trust was broken, kids ran for the exits and many let their grades go. Recipe for disaster.

The only teams that need to combine maybe immediately are SSF and EC. Mills was in trouble but looks like they hired the right guy and are digging their way out of the cellar. Cap is fine with on campus coach. SM, BHS, MA, Carlmont, TN, Hillsdale, HMB, even Jeff (with new coach who is doing a good job) are fine.

Menlo and SHP different animal but fine as far as numbers.

Aragon and Sequoia uncharacteristically bad but that will not be permanent (I hope.)

An increasing danger for the North County programs is the WCAL. Schools like Serra and Riordan, in particular, become more attractive for young football players who see little hope of excellence at EC and SSF (still not sure about Jeff, by the way).

Reactions: Barking Dog
Correct...Menlo, TKA and SHP totally different animals, take them out of the equation. IMO, they should either join the WCAL or form/ join another private school league. Same with baseball, IMO.

There's one more thing:

An increasing danger for the North County programs is the WCAL. Schools like Serra and Riordan, in particular, become more attractive for young football players who see little hope of excellence at EC and SSF (still not sure about Jeff, by the way).

Agree with all those points

The pay might be different just because they are schools from 4 different districts. San Mateo Union HS District, Jefferson Union HS District, SSF Unified School District and Sequoia Union HS District. All these coaches are getting paid through there school District. Pay is going to be within a few dollars per coach per season. Woodside coaches aren't paid extremely more than Jefferson or SSF coaches. Not even close

Eh....I'm going to call bullshit on this one. It's all public information.

Sequoia Union HS District has four schools that play football:

Carlmont
Menlo-Atherton
Sequoia
Woodside

San Mateo Union HS District has six schools that play football:

Aragon
Burlingame
Capuchino
Hillsdale
Mills
San Mateo

South San Francisco Unified School District has two schools that play football:

El Camino
South San Francisco

Jefferson Unified High School District has two school that play football:

Jefferson
Terra Nova

TransparentCalifornia.com lists the wages of every public school employee in the state.

Carlmont (Jake Messina, Jason Selli), Sequoia (Rob Poulos) and Woodside (Justin Andrews) have all hired on campus coaches in recent memory. Transparent California lists their pay as what they earn both as full-time employees and coaches at their respective schools. Not sure what Steve Papin (Menlo-Atherton) does for a living but Adhir Ravipati was not an on-campus coach. Transparent California says he made about $5,520 in 2017 for Coaching Menlo-Atherton's football team.

Aragon (Steve Sell), Burlingame (John Phillipopulous) Capuchino (Ben White, Jay Oca), Hillsdale (Mike Parodi) and San Mateo (Jeff Scheller) have all hired teachers of late. Only Mills (Mike Dozier, Kevin Thorson) and for a season, Capuchino, have hired off-campus coaches (Miguel Nava). I could not find Dozier's "salary" for his work at Mills on Transparent California. However, it is listed that Capuchino paid Miguel Nava $4,683 for a season's work at Cap, about $1,000 less than Sequoia Unified paid Ravipati.

The schools in the South San Francisco Unified High School district have been all over the place. El Camino has employed Eric "Jake" Jacobson, Mark Turner (SMFH), Archie Junio and now Rustin Mayorga since 2010 while South San Francisco has employed Frank Moro, Jay Oca, Jerome Lee and now Taulaga Elisaia in the same amount of time. Jacobson has been on campus at El Camino as has Frank Moro at South City. Jay Oca is also a teacher and was on campus at South City up until he decided to leave for Capuchino. Transparent California will not list wages for either Mayorga or Elisaia as they have not yet been paid for the season. The website does not list anything for Junio or Lee but does list that Mark Turner was paid $2,394 for the job he did at El Camino in 2012, a whole $3,100 than what Ravipati was paid for in 2017 and $2,300 less than what Nava was paid for in the same year. I get the five year disparity between wages but I seriously doubt the South San Francisco Unified High School District has increase their pay that much since. We should know soon though.

Last is the Jefferson Unified High School District who has two off-campus coaches this season (Sergio Portela Jr. at Jefferson and Jason Piccolotti at Terra Nova). Before that Terra Nova had employed Bill Gray and Tim Adams (both teachers) while Jefferson had employed Will Maddox, Cesar Vega and Joe Nellesen (also teachers). Jeff did employ Ako Poti in 2010 but Transparent CA does not list his wage. We will know what that job pays soon but my bet is that they pay closer to what the South San Francisco Unified School District pays than what Sequoia Union pays.

Oh, and as a total mind blower, Tobias Whitley brought in close to $6,800 for coaching Mission High School in San Francisco's AAA in 2017.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Full-time teacher-coaches in the Sequoia Union and San Mateo Union HS districts can routinely earn $100,000 or more with strong benefits. Their peers in SSF Unified and Jefferson Union earn significantly less. It's a factor when the North County schools have to compete for quality full-time, tenured teacher-coaches with much higher-paying districts in the south (and SF).

Eh....I'm going to call bullshit on this one. It's all public information.

Sequoia Union HS District has four schools that play football:

Carlmont
Menlo-Atherton
Sequoia
Woodside

San Mateo Union HS District has six schools that play football:

Aragon
Burlingame
Capuchino
Hillsdale
Mills
San Mateo

South San Francisco Unified School District has two schools that play football:

El Camino
South San Francisco

Jefferson Unified High School District has two school that play football:

Jefferson
Terra Nova

TransparentCalifornia.com lists the wages of every public school employee in the state.

Carlmont (Jake Messina, Jason Selli), Sequoia (Rob Poulos) and Woodside (Justin Andrews) have all hired on campus coaches in recent memory. Transparent California lists their pay as what they earn both as full-time employees and coaches at their respective schools. Not sure what Steve Papin (Menlo-Atherton) does for a living but Adhir Ravipati was not an on-campus coach. Transparent California says he made about $5,520 in 2017 for Coaching Menlo-Atherton's football team.

Aragon (Steve Sell), Burlingame (John Phillipopulous) Capuchino (Ben White, Jay Oca), Hillsdale (Mike Parodi) and San Mateo (Jeff Scheller) have all hired teachers of late. Only Mills (Mike Dozier, Kevin Thorson) and for a season, Capuchino, have hired off-campus coaches (Miguel Nava). I could not find Dozier's "salary" for his work at Mills on Transparent California. However, it is listed that Capuchino paid Miguel Nava $4,683 for a season's work at Cap, about $1,000 less than Sequoia Unified paid Ravipati.

The schools in the South San Francisco Unified High School district have been all over the place. El Camino has employed Eric "Jake" Jacobson, Mark Turner (SMFH), Archie Junio and now Rustin Mayorga since 2010 while South San Francisco has employed Frank Moro, Jay Oca, Jerome Lee and now Taulaga Elisaia in the same amount of time. Jacobson has been on campus at El Camino as has Frank Moro at South City. Jay Oca is also a teacher and was on campus at South City up until he decided to leave for Capuchino. Transparent California will not list wages for either Mayorga or Elisaia as they have not yet been paid for the season. The website does not list anything for Junio or Lee but does list that Mark Turner was paid $2,394 for the job he did at El Camino in 2012, a whole $3,100 than what Ravipati was paid for in 2017 and $2,300 less than what Nava was paid for in the same year. I get the five year disparity between wages but I seriously doubt the South San Francisco Unified High School District has increase their pay that much since. We should know soon though.

Last is the Jefferson Unified High School District who has two off-campus coaches this season (Sergio Portela Jr. at Jefferson and Jason Piccolotti at Terra Nova). Before that Terra Nova had employed Bill Gray and Tim Adams (both teachers) while Jefferson had employed Will Maddox, Cesar Vega and Joe Nellesen (also teachers). Jeff did employ Ako Poti in 2010 but Transparent CA does not list his wage. We will know what that job pays soon but my bet is that they pay closer to what the South San Francisco Unified School District pays than what Sequoia Union pays.

Oh, and as a total mind blower, Tobias Whitley brought in close to $6,800 for coaching Mission High School in San Francisco's AAA in 2017.

I think calling BS is a little strong there big guy, pump the breaks. Yes a few thousand is a bigger number that I thought it would be, but significant as you state I think is too strong as well. Nice work on getting the numbers. Truthfully.
Again, none of these coaches are doing it for the money, and I dont think money has to do with the coaching or player participation at these schools as you state.

Full-time teacher-coaches in the Sequoia Union and San Mateo Union HS districts can routinely earn $100,000 or more with strong benefits. Their peers in SSF Unified and Jefferson Union earn significantly less. It's a factor when the North County schools have to compete for quality full-time, tenured teacher-coaches with much higher-paying districts in the south (and SF).

Yes I think arguing over stipends is pointless. Guys who take HC jobs based only on stipends are few and far between. The majority of public programs that are having success have full time teacher coaches that work at the school and manage the kids year round (lifting, grades, etc.) And the pay disparity between SSF district and the San Mateo and Sequoia districts are significant when it comes to teacher salaries. Look up the transparent ca numbers on the full time teacher coaches. That will be more telling.

I think calling BS is a little strong there big guy, pump the breaks. Yes a few thousand is a bigger number that I thought it would be, but significant as you state I think is too strong as well. Nice work on getting the numbers. Truthfully.
Again, none of these coaches are doing it for the money, and I dont think money has to do with the coaching or player participation at these schools as you state.

I agree that they are not.

At the same time, off campus coaches are not bound to a specific school. They can go an coach wherever they so please. So why would you take $2k at South City when you could take $4600 at Mills? I knew an guy (passed 2 or 3 years ago) that would take his coaching stipend every year and put it into a retirement fund.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT