ADVERTISEMENT

YET ANOTHER LOOK BACK AT NORCALPREPS HISTORY

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
FALL RIVER DREAMS

This is another one of my book reports for any of you hoopaholics to read.

I haven’t heard any feedback from past offerings, and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to read any of the books I have written about?

I usually choose books about places and teams, rather than individual players. I like the historical aspect of the game rather than statistics and the like. Although I might review “ The Hawk ”.
I grew up in Brooklyn and got to watch Connie Hawkins play in our park. Even the Rabbi’s would stop playing chess to come check him out.

He and Boy’s High played against our City Championship Junior High School team, in a showcase scrimmage.
Our school went to the 9th grade, and this was the era when kids got left back one, two, or even three years. I had a 17 year old kid in my 9th grade class. Anyway, I digress.

The author is Bill Reynolds, noted sports writer.

It’s another book about place and time. The book is mainly focused on the early 1990s, Durfee high school, and Chris Herren, from Fall River Massachusetts.
Chris Herren made it to the pros and has his own book “Basketball Junkie”, about his rise , fall, and rise again, dealing with addiction.

“Fall River Dreams” gives us that feeling when High School basketball was everything, for hard scrabble small towns.
The grandfather played, then the son, then the grandson. Generations, going to games, building on history, bragging rites and heartbreak.

The author becomes inspired to start attending the local games. One night while making conversation he asks an older fan, which Durfee team did he think had been the best all-time?
The guy says I can’t answer that. He asks why not? And the guy says, because I’ve only seen every team since 1962.
How’s that for perspective? :)

What can I say, I love me some hoops. If you take the chance, I hope you enjoy this read

Here’s wishing you great hoops

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT