ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Sensley is heading back to Riordan

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
This was posted on another thread but thought it deserved its own thread. Big move for Riordan with the addition of Sensley, who is ranked No. 119 in the country by Rivals.com.

Wow... With Riordan already having a ton of talent coming back... They'll be a force!

This was posted on another thread but thought it deserved its own thread. Big move for Riordan with the addition of Sensley, who is ranked No. 119 in the country by Rivals.com.
Shocking to hear a young man would go to a place like PP and his game doesn’t really evolve or improve and his national ranking go down each year. It’s almost as if staying at riordan would of made him an alpha instead of thr 5-6 option and he might of learned how to be a leader and elevate those around him and win a state title.

Prep schools today seem to focus on athleticism and size verses developing a player's skill and basketball IQ. At the end of the day a player still has to be able to play the game of basketball (both ends of the court, with the ball and without the ball, and with the other 4 players on the floor). I watched a few prep schools play at CCC, and saw tremendous talent and potential, but I was disappointed in the skill and basketball IQ being displayed. Just a lot of 1 on 1.

Prep schools today seem to focus on athleticism and size verses developing a player's skill and basketball IQ. At the end of the day a player still has to be able to play the game of basketball (both ends of the court, with the ball and without the ball, and with the other 4 players on the floor). I watched a few prep schools play at CCC, and saw tremendous talent and potential, but I was disappointed in the skill and basketball IQ being displayed. Just a lot of 1 on 1.
well 7 of the fellas on prolific have D1 scholarships... so i imagine they got a little skill and IQ or they would be playing at CCC next year instead of Auburn, Xavier, Miami and Brown.

well 7 of the fellas on prolific have D1 scholarships... so i imagine they got a little skill and IQ or they would be playing at CCC next year instead of Auburn, Xavier, Miami and Brown.
I'm sure that they have a little skill. We are also aware that scholarships are offered on not just what kids currently demonstrate, but what they might become in the future (potential). So if the prep schools can find a 6'9" kid with a "little" skill, they know most coaches today will offer a scholarship to the kid because you can't teach size. The colleges then hope the kid develops. They might redshirt the kid. If not, the kid goes home, or into the portal where the kid hopes another team will take the risk. My point is that the prep schools recruit the kids with size and that are very athletic, so think they should focus on their growth regarding skill development and basketball IQ. Let's have more emphasis on teaching the kids to play the right way, sharing the ball, defending.... That way they are better for the experience and we don't see our kids going backwards.

Bottom Line: Prep schools aren’t for everyone

It’s no secret at this point. I helped coach at Prolific this season.

It’s more like college/European style basketball than it is normal high school ball.

Some guys can adapt quickly. Others can’t handle the amount of plays they need to know, or the quickness, intelligence and pace required to compete against an IMG Academy, a Dream City Christian, etc.

Zion was one of my favorite guys on last years team. He accepted a bench role after coming in expecting to start and rightfully so with interest from LSU, Alabama, Cal, UCSB it makes sense he’d go somewhere we he could easily start.

I am no longer with the program (personal reasons) but I still love Prolific and will stand up for it anytime someone says anything bad about it.

Like ankle said 7 scholarship players and that was last years team. Just wait until August and you’ll see Prolific will have put together one of the greatest starting lineups the state of California has ever seen before. They are about to land a Gatorade POY to go with the already formidable Tyran Stokes, who IMO is the best player in high school basketball regardless of class. I’d take Stokes over Cooper Flagg and Cameron Boozer, right now.

Bottom Line: Prep schools aren’t for everyone

It’s no secret at this point. I helped coach at Prolific this season.

It’s more like college/European style basketball than it is normal high school ball.

Some guys can adapt quickly. Others can’t handle the amount of plays they need to know, or the quickness, intelligence and pace required to compete against an IMG Academy, a Dream City Christian, etc.

Zion was one of my favorite guys on last years team. He accepted a bench role after coming in expecting to start and rightfully so with interest from LSU, Alabama, Cal, UCSB it makes sense he’d go somewhere we he could easily start.

I am no longer with the program (personal reasons) but I still love Prolific and will stand up for it anytime someone says anything bad about it.

Like ankle said 7 scholarship players and that was last years team. Just wait until August and you’ll see Prolific will have put together one of the greatest starting lineups the state of California has ever seen before. They are about to land a Gatorade POY to go with the already formidable Tyran Stokes, who IMO is the best player in high school basketball regardless of class. I’d take Stokes over Cooper Flagg and Cameron Boozer, right now.
I agree Tyran is the real deal!

Good question. Will he need to sit out? Does it count as a 2 time transfer if he’s returning to his original HS?

Good question. Will he need to sit out? Does it count as a 2 time transfer if he’s returning to his original HS?
Up to this point I believe if you are going to and from a prep school you didn’t have to sit out but the rule was being changed so that transferring from a prep it would count like a regular high school transfer.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
I wonder if the prep route is changing a little bit in regards to timeline. Used to be players would go for their senior year to help transition into college. Now it is starting to become more common to go early, get the exposure and development and come back to finish up at your HS.

And they all had those scholarships offers long before they even thought of PP.
all i was saying was clearly they have some skill. i didnt say prolific made them better or not. just that if he didnt see skill then sean miller is blind

I wonder if the prep route is changing a little bit in regards to timeline. Used to be players would go for their senior year to help transition into college. Now it is starting to become more common to go early, get the exposure and development and come back to finish up at your HS.
With all the transferring, are these kids ready for college academically? Do they graduate at the same rate as other kids do? Any stats?

Reactions: Scott2138
And they all had those scholarships offers long before they even thought of PP.
Haha, we are not asking for Credit but Vukovich once again is incorrect (Very common them).

All the above players listed by someone rose in the ESPN Rankings. (Including Zion S who finished Espn #46 - Not bad for a 6th man on a top 5 team).

Aden Holloway - Ranked in 40s before coming to Prolific Prep, finished #16 ESPN. Monumental and rare rise for someone already in the ESPN top 50. He won the Mcdonalds' All-American and Nike Hoop Summit and won a Grind Session National Championship. Aden Performed very well at both on the biggest stage during those games. NIL Value increased to $600,000 +

Michael Nwoko Unranked coming to Prolific Prep, Finished a 4-star, and went to Nike Hoop Summit Game (where he posted 17pts and 11 rebounds). Michael is on NBA Draft boards now and NIL Value increase to $300,000

Yves Missi unranked in ESPN Super 60 before coming to Prolific Prep. Finished #12 ESPN 2024 but then reclassed after the games. Nike Hoop Summit award winner

Trey Green- was Ranked 88 in Espn, Finished #56 ESPN. Going to Xavier. Had a monster year!

N'Famaro Dabo - Going to Ivy League (Brown). He won the game of Life Already for those that know his story (only kid in 3 years to be awarded I20 by the Embassy in Guinea, Africa). The only kid in 3 years!! Dabo definitely won! Thank you to our advisory board and local congressman for changing his life.

*Ask those families if their kids won coming to Prolific Prep

Zion Sensley is an awesome person! Unbelievable character, great family, and did everything the right way while spending 2 years at Prolific Prep. We wish Zion nothing but the best moving forward and proud of him for choosing what he feels is best for him moving forward. He will always be an alumni to us and have our support and backing. Everyone is a winner here regarding this thread.

Haha, we are not asking for Credit but Vukovich once again is incorrect (Very common them).

All the above players listed by someone rose in the ESPN Rankings. (Including Zion S who finished Espn #46 - Not bad for a 6th man on a top 5 team).

Aden Holloway - Ranked in 40s before coming to Prolific Prep, finished #16 ESPN. Monumental and rare rise for someone already in the ESPN top 50. He won the Mcdonalds' All-American and Nike Hoop Summit and won a Grind Session National Championship. Aden Performed very well at both on the biggest stage during those games. NIL Value increased to $600,000 +

Michael Nwoko Unranked coming to Prolific Prep, Finished a 4-star, and went to Nike Hoop Summit Game (where he posted 17pts and 11 rebounds). Michael is on NBA Draft boards now and NIL Value increase to $300,000

Yves Missi unranked in ESPN Super 60 before coming to Prolific Prep. Finished #12 ESPN 2024 but then reclassed after the games. Nike Hoop Summit award winner

Trey Green- was Ranked 88 in Espn, Finished #56 ESPN. Going to Xavier. Had a monster year!

N'Famaro Dabo - Going to Ivy League (Brown). He won the game of Life Already for those that know his story (only kid in 3 years to be awarded I20 by the Embassy in Guinea, Africa). The only kid in 3 years!! Dabo definitely won! Thank you to our advisory board and local congressman for changing his life.

*Ask those families if their kids won coming to Prolific Prep

Zion Sensley is an awesome person! Unbelievable character, great family, and did everything the right way while spending 2 years at Prolific Prep. We wish Zion nothing but the best moving forward and proud of him for choosing what he feels is best for him moving forward. He will always be an alumni to us and have our support and backing. Everyone is a winner here regarding this thread.
men lie, women lie, numbers dont.

we can look at it in reverse.. there are quite of few kids who graduated last year and will graduate this month who spent 3 or 4 years on varsity at some pretty successful programs at their local public school in the bay. those kids were winners and none of them will be playing big 6 basketball. dont you think they would have benefited from not playing versus interior competition for 3 years and if 1 season at prolific they would have garnered more interest?

we can look at it in reverse.. there are quite of few kids who graduated last year and will graduate this month who spent 3 or 4 years on varsity at some pretty successful programs at their local public school in the bay. those kids were winners and none of them will be playing big 6 basketball. don't you think they would have benefited from not playing versus interior competition for 3 years and if 1 season at prolific they would have garnered more interest?
National programs find players regardless of where they play. Good regional programs (all divisions and NAIA) find all of the quality kids in their area. One the challenges that some of our kids face is that some college coaches and scouts rely too much on rankings and recruiting services verses their own eyeball assessment of a player's ability and match for their program. I think if a player is good (ability to play at the college level); has learned to play the right way (team player on both ends of the floor) with a good basketball IQ, and has the grades to qualify at many college programs (> 3.0), that player can find a place to play, and the good programs will probably find that player. There was a time where grades were the biggest disqualifier for good basketball players looking to play high level college basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if that is still true.

National programs find players regardless of where they play. Good regional programs (all divisions and NAIA) find all of the quality kids in their area. One the challenges that some of our kids face is that some college coaches and scouts rely too much on rankings and recruiting services verses their own eyeball assessment of a player's ability and match for their program. I think if a player is good (ability to play at the college level); has learned to play the right way (team player on both ends of the floor) with a good basketball IQ, and has the grades to qualify at many college programs (> 3.0), that player can find a place to play, and the good programs will probably find that player. There was a time where grades were the biggest disqualifier for good basketball players looking to play high level college basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if that is still true.
the major D1 coaches arent making trips to every recruit on a hunch or a computer ranking... they have seen the kid play his 9th and 10th grade on the sneaker circuit and will make a trip if need be to a game in person at their high school.
you still need grades to play. you also need higher test scores depending on grades.
what i was writing about is a lot of kids stayed with their high school teams and didnt get big 6 scholarships. and those kids played on some good teams and their parents spent tons of money on their spring/summer league teams

the major D1 coaches arent making trips to every recruit on a hunch or a computer ranking... they have seen the kid play his 9th and 10th grade on the sneaker circuit and will make a trip if need be to a game in person at their high school.
you still need grades to play. you also need higher test scores depending on grades.
what i was writing about is a lot of kids stayed with their high school teams and didnt get big 6 scholarships. and those kids played on some good teams and their parents spent tons of money on their spring/summer league teams
Which players are you referring to that would have secured Big 6 schollies had they transferred to PP prior to their senior seasons?

Which players are you referring to that would have secured Big 6 schollies had they transferred to PP prior to their senior seasons?
nah, i aint putting peoples names.... and there is nothing saying they would have but i think their chances couldnt have been hurt had they played at pp.

nah, i aint putting peoples names.... and there is nothing saying they would have but i think their chances couldnt have been hurt had they played at pp.
100% agree
PP gives top level kids the competition and exposure they need. The rest of these kids need to go to high school for high SCHOOL and if you are lucky enough to play ball after that then congratulations for working your butt off and having a successful and enjoyable career!

100% agree
PP gives top level kids the competition and exposure they need. The rest of these kids need to go to high school for high SCHOOL and if you are lucky enough to play ball after that then congratulations for working your butt off and having a successful and enjoyable career!
and quite a few of them were left at JC or D2 when they dreamed of D1.

Reactions: City Truths
I think it’s fair to say it will be Riordan this season as heavy favorites to represent Norcal in the CIF Open Division.

Not a prep school, but I’ve seen a lot of prep schools that would probably lose to this Riordan team this upcoming season. They have one of the best lineups to open a season in recent memory. Probably since the Rob Jones-era.

Exciting times for Bay Area Basketball and I expect Riordan to probably travel to more out of state tournaments then they ever have before!

I think it’s fair to say it will be Riordan this season as heavy favorites to represent Norcal in the CIF Open Division.

Not a prep school, but I’ve seen a lot of prep schools that would probably lose to this Riordan team this upcoming season. They have one of the best lineups to open a season in recent memory. Probably since the Rob Jones-era.

Exciting times for Bay Area Basketball and I expect Riordan to probably travel to more out of state tournaments then they ever have before!
they are pretty much a prep school. lets keep it 100

Reactions: PALFan

Mitty and Salesian will be right with them at the top. Riordan has more talent but their coaching is not at the same level as Kennedy or Mellis. The LA area is a little down this year whoever comes out of the north will have a punchers chance.

Mitty and Salesian will be right with them at the top. Riordan has more talent but their coaching is not at the same level as Kennedy or Mellis. The LA area is a little down this year whoever comes out of the north will have a punchers chance.

I agree with this. Centennial added Carter Bryant, but there is no juggernaut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT