ADVERTISEMENT

1/30/24 SRV at Clet

We don't have installed cameras at Carondelet so I guess you have to go in person.

If so, get there early. It's going to be packed. The JV game is also for first place.

Reactions: bunnyhopninja
I think the #1 seed is Cardinal Newman’s to lose at this point.
While CN (22-2) may indeed be the best team right now, if SRV (22-1) beats Carondelet (22-2), there’s a good chance they’ll be the top seed. Both CN & SRV lost to SMS early (SRV by 5, CN by 8), but the key difference is that SRV beat SHC by 20 while CN lost to them.

Cardinal Newman's win over Folsom, though, may trump that.

And it will also be interesting to see if the committee factors in the eligibility of Taissa Queiroz, who is a big-time difference-maker.

Cardinal Newman's win over Folsom, though, may trump that.

And it will also be interesting to see if the committee factors in the eligibility of Taissa Queiroz, who is a big-time difference-maker.
That win might keep them ahead of C-Let if they beat SRV, but I don’t think the committee just dismisses the common SHC games between SRV & CN, even with Queroz now eligible. Regardless, as I said CN may indeed be the best team right now, and both C-Let & SRV will have to get past them.

I can't argue head-to-head when it comes to seeding. If my team and your team are relatively equal, and I beat you head-to-head, I should be seeded higher.

But common opponents has too many variables for me to feel comfortable with. Was the common opponent played at the same site (home team or away team)? Were the two games played relatively close together? I beat a common opponent on Nov. 30 by 15; you lost to them by 2 on Feb. 2. That stretches the definition of "common opponent" by a lot, as teams are much different (injuries, rotation, young players getting experience) 20 games into the season.

Now if I played Cardinal Newman at Cardinal Newman on Tuesday and lost by 30, and you played them at Cardinal Newman on Friday and lost by 5, I think it makes sense. But how often does that happen?

I spoke with Clet administration they said IT has told them that the internet is not
Strong enough in the brick building where
The games are played so they cannot have the NFHS cameras installed???

Hadn't heard that but certainly could be true. Signal is weak in gym.

Can someone give us a few updates from Clet? I am hoping SRV can pull this one out? I have to work with a spinal person till 7 in San Ramon so I can’t make this one.

So happy for these Danville kids.
These kids are mentally tough they might
Live in paradise but they are like little pit bulls

It doesn't hurt to have talent, and they have a lot of that too. Great atmosphere at Carondelet, highly competitive game, great defense both sides.

What high school sports are about ...

But common opponents has too many variables for me to feel comfortable with. Was the common opponent played at the same site (home team or away team)? Were the two games played relatively close together? I beat a common opponent on Nov. 30 by 15; you lost to them by 2 on Feb. 2. That stretches the definition of "common opponent" by a lot, as teams are much different (injuries, rotation, young players getting experience) 20 games into the season.
We’ll just have to see how this plays out. Nothing is certain when it comes to committees.

I agree that common opponents don’t mean much when one team wins by 15 and the other 30, but when 1 of your only 2 losses are to a team the other team (that has only 1 loss) beat, it just can’t be ignored. And SRV now has a recent road win over a solid Carondelet team added to their resume.

We’ll just have to see how this plays out. Nothing is certain when it comes to committees.

I agree that common opponents don’t mean much when one team wins by 15 and the other 30, but when 1 of your only 2 losses are to a team the other team (that has only 1 loss) beat, it just can’t be ignored. And SRV now has a recent road win over a solid Carondelet team added to their resume.
SRV beat C-Let 49-47 for the EBAL title.

Now SRV is 27-1 and went undefeated in the EBAL, with 2 wins over 25-4 Carondelet and a win over 23-4 Cal in league. They also own a 20-point win over SHC, who beat Cardinal Newman (26-2) this season. They’ve made a strong case for the top seed for the NCS Open division.

An interesting dilemma for the committee today. First, how important really is a common-opponent score, except as a way to justify seeding? And second, of course, Cardinal Newman now has Tiassa Quieroz, which they didn't at the time of the loss to SHC.

At stake is the site of the NCS Open final, presumably. If SRV is No. 1, it's at St. Mary's or Dublin, most likely. If CN is No. 1, maybe Santa Rosa City College.

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT