ADVERTISEMENT

CIF Sac-Joaquin Secton Basketball Selection Show today at 1:30 p.m. on NFHS

cptmycpa

Sports Fanatic
Jan 19, 2016
event is delayed... I'll just wait for the brackets to be put up at Maxpreps and the SJS site.

Bracket shows are pretty unwatchable anyway, even the NCAA one pretty much is a sleepfest.

event is delayed... I'll just wait for the brackets to be put up at Maxpreps and the SJS site.

Bracket shows are pretty unwatchable anyway, even the NCAA one pretty much is a sleepfest.
At 2:05 p.m., they are now at Division 5, going down to Div. 1. They started about 25 minutes late.

DIV. 1 -
#1 seed = Folsom
#2 seed = St. Mary's
#3 seed = Oak Ridge (higher MaxPreps rating than McClatchy due to tougher SFL league as calculated in computer algorithms)
#4 seed = McClatchy (McClatchy ranked higher than Oak Ridge in Sacramento Bee and in CalHiSports--they don't use computer algorithms)
#5 seed = Lincoln, Stockton (could be a rematch at McClatchy in 2nd round)
#6 seed = Antelope

DIV. 2 -
#1 seed = Whitney
#2 seed = Vanden (moved up from Div. 3 due to continued SJS post-season success)
#3 seed = Christian Brothers
#4 seed = Grant

DIV. 3 -
#1 seed = Vista Del Lago, Folsom (got pushed down to Div. 3, from Div. 2 due to too many Div. 2 teams in section playoffs, using equal number of teams in each division--very fortunate for VDL.
#2 seed = Manteca
#3 seed = East Union
#4 seed = Lincoln, Lincoln

DIV. 4 -
#1 seed = Colfax (1st round bye) -- since Colfax keeps winning section championships, they will have to move up to Div. 3 sometime in the future to be fair.
#2 seed = Marysville (1st round bye)
#3 seed = Escalon
#4 seed = Riverbank

DIV. 5 -
#1 seed = Bear River (1st round bye)
#2 seed = Woodland Christian (1st round bye)
#3 seed = Valley Christian
#4 seed = Ripon Christian

DIV. 1 -
#1 seed = Folsom
#2 seed = St. Mary's
#3 seed = Oak Ridge (higher MaxPreps rating than McClatchy due to tougher SFL league as calculated in computer algorithms)
#4 seed = McClatchy (McClatchy ranked higher than Oak Ridge in Sacramento Bee and in CalHiSports--they don't use computer algorithms)
#5 seed = Lincoln, Stockton (could be a rematch at McClatchy in 2nd round)
#6 seed = Antelope

DIV. 2 -
#1 seed = Whitney
#2 seed = Vanden (moved up from Div. 3 due to continued SJS post-season success)
#3 seed = Christian Brothers
#4 seed = Grant

DIV. 3 -
#1 seed = Vista Del Lago, Folsom (got pushed down to Div. 3, from Div. 2 due to too many Div. 2 teams in section playoffs, using equal number of teams in each division--very fortunate for VDL.
#2 seed = Manteca
#3 seed = East Union
#4 seed = Lincoln, Lincoln

DIV. 4 -
#1 seed = Colfax (1st round bye) -- since Colfax keeps winning section championships, they will have to move up to Div. 3 sometime in the future to be fair.
#2 seed = Marysville (1st round bye)
#3 seed = Escalon
#4 seed = Riverbank

DIV. 5 -
#1 seed = Bear River (1st round bye)
#2 seed = Woodland Christian (1st round bye)
#3 seed = Valley Christian
#4 seed = Ripon Christian
I feel like more times than not in recent years, it has been some combo of St. Mary's, Folsom, Oak Ridge and McClatchy in the top four with Lincoln at No. 5 in D1. Also, Lincoln and Davis (the No. 12 seed) have met a few times

I feel like more times than not in recent years, it has been some combo of St. Mary's, Folsom, Oak Ridge and McClatchy in the top four with Lincoln at No. 5 in D1. Also, Lincoln and Davis (the No. 12 seed) have met a few times
Luckily, this time, if McClatchy loses to Lincoln-Stockton, or Lincoln-Stockton loses to McClatchy, both should qualify for the NorCal playoffs. Either one would probably receive the "one" SJS at-large birth due to their MaxPreps ranking. I don't see any team above them in the latest SJS MaxPreps rankings NOT getting into the Semifinals (round of 4), which automatically qualifies for the NorCal playoffs. Last season (2022-23), Lincoln-Stockton was an 8th seed. However, Lincoln-Stockton was a 5th seed behind 4th seed McClatchy in 2021-22 SJS playoffs.

Which leads me to criticize why the SJS doesn't have an OPEN Division yet, like the other Sections. Other Section's Open Division teams automatically qualify for the NorCal playoffs. But under the SJS' NorCal qualification rule, only semi-finalists (total of 4) from Divisions 1-5, finalists from Division 6 (total of 2) and one at-large birth qualify for the NorCal playoffs (23 total). This tends to be a disadvantage for the Division 1 schools in the SJS who are the 4th, 5th, and possibly 6th seeds. One or two of those Division 1 teams may not advance to the NorCal playoffs under the SJS' semi-finalist rule, but are very likely to be one of the top 20 teams in the entire SJS. I feel this hurts the SJS in the NorCals & State playoffs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT