ADVERTISEMENT

13th annual Nor Cal Tip Off Classic Schedule- Nov. 30 at Newark Memorial

hoop review

Sports Fanatic
Jun 14, 2006
13th annual Nor Cal Tip Off Classic Schedule

Saturday November 30, 2019 at Newark Memorial High School

Game 1: 11:00 AM Moreau Catholic (Hayward) vs St. Patrick-St. Vincent (Vallejo)

Game 2: 12:30 PM Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) vs Modesto Christian

Game 3: 2:15 PM Newark Memorial (Newark) vs Grant (Sacramento)

Game 4: 3:45 PM Riordan (San Francisco) vs JSerra (San Juan Capistrano)

Game 5: 5:30 PM Clovis West (Fresno) vs. Windward (Los Angeles)

Game 6: 7:00 PM Mitty (San Jose) vs Campolindo (Moraga)

Game 7: 8:30 PM Dublin vs Weston Ranch (Stockton)

Team comes from Socal gets a 3:45 game? That Serra team has 4 D1 guys on it. One player has signed to Utah ....ok
Saw the impressive lineup of teams. Looking forward to seeing those games. I’m looking at it from a logistical standpoint. If you’re coming from SoCal, you’re probably coming up Friday to spend the night. Not sure if you want to stay 2 nights for 1 game. Maybe it was a coach’s request to play those mid-day games so they can get on the road and also save a few hundred dollars on a night’s hotel cost. Just thinking out loud...

Saw the impressive lineup of teams. Looking forward to seeing those games. I’m looking at it from a logistical standpoint. If you’re coming from SoCal, you’re probably coming up Friday to spend the night. Not sure if you want to stay 2 nights for 1 game. Maybe it was a coach’s request to play those mid-day games so they can get on the road and also save a few hundred dollars on a night’s hotel cost. Just thinking out loud...
Sounds about right...just as a fan of Riordan would have enjoyed a later game.

positive influence you are on the money.. the JSerra team requested 3:45 because they are travelling home (driving) after their game and did not want to play late..

not sure what difference the time makes though.. basket are 10 feet all day long...pretty sure you can enjoy the game at 3:45 .....

positive influence you are on the money.. the JSerra team requested 3:45 because they are travelling home (driving) after their game and did not want to play late..

not sure what difference the time makes though.. basket are 10 feet all day long...pretty sure you can enjoy the game at 3:45 .....
I like your comment up until you question the difference in time. Ask any person GF...would you rather an early game or Late game...? Players , coaches, fans...I know the height of the baskets...played and coached the game as you KNOW...all Riordan league games are evening games... except for Gridley...all Riordan preseason games are in the evening. It wasn't a negative comment...clearly stated as a fan I was wishing it was evening game.

I like your comment up until you question the difference in time. Ask any person GF...would you rather an early game or Late game...? Players , coaches, fans...I know the height of the baskets...played and coached the game as you KNOW...all Riordan league games are evening games... except for Gridley...all Riordan preseason games are in the evening. It wasn't a negative comment...clearly stated as a fan I was wishing it was evening game.

Ask anyone??.. Got 14 schools in the event... Not all can play in the evening.. You want late- so does everyone else...

FYI.. your coach was fine with it... he knew I had to respect the wishes of a school traveling from southern california who asked to play at 3:45...

did you comment to Gridley??

there was a coach name Dick Harter who was at Oregon, Penn and Penn State.. He had a saying:
"We will be ready to play anytime, any place, under any conditions." You agree with that?.. I do..

I hope you enjoy the game.. I am very confident you will...it should be a great one...

Great lineup of games. JSerra is looking like the top team in the event. Riordan will have their hands full but they are challenging themselves right away.

Winward has the best player in the event in Kijani Wright. He is a top 5 player in the nation in his class.

Last edited:
Ask anyone??.. Got 14 schools in the event... Not all can play in the evening.. You want late- so does everyone else...

FYI.. your coach was fine with it... he knew I had to respect the wishes of a school traveling from southern california who asked to play at 3:45...

did you comment to Gridley??

there was a coach name Dick Harter who was at Oregon, Penn and Penn State.. He had a saying:
"We will be ready to play anytime, any place, under any conditions." You agree with that?.. I do..

I hope you enjoy the game.. I am very confident you will...it should be a great one...
Not Sure why you trying to respond negatively about me wishing Riordan played later. I clearly stated it was a wish. You made a rude ass remark about how high the baskets are. Incredible since I have been supporting your tournaments for many years, always paid my teams entry fee Rebels, Soldiers, Ballers...all my teams. It's good. I am glad Coach Joey is good with the game times... never said it was a problem.
Gridley schedule isn't out yet so nothing to comment on. People really always looking for something negative to say .
I clearly also stated to Positive Influence...sounds about right. Meaning that probably was the case. I do know from Coaching , playing etc...that when teams travel from NorCal to Socal the hospitality isn't the same...but it is what it is. I will be there supporting Riordan, paying the gate fee and supporting other players I coached from Moreau, Weston Ranch, Dublin, Campolindo , St.Pats, ODowd and Mitty. Watching them play on those 10 foot baskets.

Last edited:
Stuart Hall and Sacred Heart played at 9am or something crazy like that last season. Glad the first games are starting later.

I actually love the scheduling personally.

Arrive 345 and see If Riordan can pull the upset on JSerra. I think they can.

Next Windward and Kijani Wright against a very talented Clovis West team.

Then we get the local battle of the Mahaney Bros. Vs. Nigel and Mitchell!

Stuart Hall and Sacred Heart played at 9am or something crazy like that last season. Glad the first games are starting later.

I actually love the scheduling personally.

Arrive 345 and see If Riordan can pull the upset on JSerra. I think they can.

Next Windward and Kijani Wright against a very talented Clovis West team.

Then we get the local battle of the Mahaney Bros. Vs. Nigel and Mitchell!
Nothing Negative was said about game times...let's make sure nothing gets lost in translation. Great Line up of games...not sure if anything is a Upset since no games have been played in 2019.

not sure what aau tournaments has to do with the game times at this event...your comments do have a negative tone unfortunately..

like i said, 14 teams in the event.. not all can play late games.

Game 1) St. Pats - Great 1-2 punch and the big is really good. I think he has a big night and they win by 10

Game 2) O’ Dowd - Play Hard and well Coached Bowser is good and I think the injuries have really hurt MC. They could struggle early.

Game 3) Grant - Always play hard, 2 really good guards and some solid perimeter shooting. Haven’t seen Newark this summer. Grant on the gut feeling.

Game 4) JSerra - they are the real deal. Run their stuff and have the talent to back it. I like they are coming up north, but this could be 15-20 piece. But Riordan is really good as well, so I have JSerra by 10

Game 5) Windward- had a good season last year and returned EVERYBODY. They will make some noise in SoCal and this should be a breeze. West isn’t the most talented but they play hard, run their game and always compete.

Game 6) Mitty - this was a though one, I really like Mitty but Campo is extremely good this year. I say Mitty in a close one. But I’m not surprised if I’m off.

Game 7) Weston Ranch - Open team last year returned wilburn and got a solid big. Dublin underperformed in my opinion and lost Beasley. I think WR cruises.

What you got?

Reactions: observer22
@FLAGRANT I like all your picks except
odowd Modesto to me is a toss up
Pearson is a tough point gaurd and
a match up problem I give Modesto
a slight edge in that one.Weston ranch
is a solid team I think they got
Sacrificed into the open last year
wilburn is really good but dublin is
veteran bunch with alot of depth believe
they beat riordan in last year's tipoff
without beasley i think this will be a
Great game with alot of good athletes
on the floor I am going with Dublin
By 5.

Reactions: FLAGRANT
@FLAGRANT I like all your picks except
odowd Modesto to me is a toss up
Pearson is a tough point gaurd and
a match up problem I give Modesto
a slight edge in that one.Weston ranch
is a solid team I think they got
Sacrificed into the open last year
wilburn is really good but dublin is
veteran bunch with alot of depth believe
they beat riordan in last year's tipoff
without beasley i think this will be a
Great game with alot of good athletes
on the floor I am going with Dublin
By 5.
If Pearson is healthy I agree. The word is he had a fracture in the foot and I don’t know if he will be ready to go. The other kid was ruled ineligible and Devin Day has the ACL obviously. Tuff time for Crusaders, they will be better as the season goes. Dublin I’m just not sold on yet. Unless for some reason they are better without Beasley. He was the only person that could really breakdown a team and get to the rim, with the shooters around made them a tuff matchup. But last year was very disappointing to see for the Gaels. Interesting to see if they improve without Beasley in the lineup. Also I think Riordan was still finding their own identity last year. Dublin started the season well but ended rough. I think some kids had checked out early.

Didnt know Pearson was hurt that
definitely would be a blow to Modesto
hopefully he can get healthy I enjoy
watching him compete last two games
of the tipoff classic should be great
Games to watch as a fan of pure
good high school hoops.

JSerra/Riordan will be a really good test for the Crusaders from the jump. The thing Riordan has going for them is they have 2 top senior guards in Monroe and Clark that can control the game and add leadership if things get out of hand. 6'9" Riiny looks much improved, and then add his 6'8" cousin Chan and the 7' soph transfer Mor and it could be interesting.

Kudos to all the teams and coaches that
are willing to challenge themseves early
in the season from a competitiveness
standpoint it sure beats scheduling a
pasty for your first game and finding out
nothing about your team in a lopsided
win. win or lose you usually see all teams involved in the tip off classic
playing MEANIFUL games in March.

Last edited:
bones40 I could not agree any more with your last post... i have a HUGE amount of respect for the coaches who not afraid to lose and will come out and compete and give their best against a good opponent early in the season....i find sometimes that some schools say it is too early and are simply scared to play a challenging game. but they are ok playing a cupcake.. i have heard many excuses from coaches why they could not come...don't buy it at all... nobody should ever say no to the opportunity/challenge if invited...

bones40 I could not agree any more with your last post... i have a HUGE amount of respect for the coaches who not afraid to lose and will come out and compete and give their best against a good opponent early in the season....i find sometimes that some schools say it is too early and are simply scared to play a challenging game. but they are ok playing a cupcake.. i have heard many excuses from coaches why they could not come...don't buy it at all... nobody should ever say no to the opportunity/challenge if invited...
The only thing that matters is what you do in February and March but I'm certain the coaches attending the event are thankful for your respect.

Reactions: superle
JSerra/Riordan will be a really good test for the Crusaders from the jump. The thing Riordan has going for them is they have 2 top senior guards in Monroe and Clark that can control the game and add leadership if things get out of hand. 6'9" Riiny looks much improved, and then add his 6'8" cousin Chan and the 7' soph transfer Mor and it could be interesting.

I assume that Riordan's transfers won't be eligible until Jan 1st or thereabouts. If that's the case then I can see JSerra winning by 10 points or so.

I also have Campo over Mitty.

Riordan will still have the 6-9 cousins Chan and Riiny along with 6-10 Tayo to go up against JSerra’s big man. I’m intrigued by the guard matchups in this one.
Seck is Eligible, he is from out of state and so is everyone else Day 1. All these kids play against each other year around. They know each other very WELL...glad Riordan is underdogs. The kids from Jserra will be hungry to beat some of the kids on Riordan since they haven't on the AAU circuit. AAU is different than HS ball so we will see. As long as the baskets are 10 feet high it will be a good contest. 10 point spread has been set....should be fun to watch.

Game 1) St. Pats - Great 1-2 punch and the big is really good. I think he has a big night and they win by 10

Game 2) O’ Dowd - Play Hard and well Coached Bowser is good and I think the injuries have really hurt MC. They could struggle early.

Game 3) Grant - Always play hard, 2 really good guards and some solid perimeter shooting. Haven’t seen Newark this summer. Grant on the gut feeling.

Game 4) JSerra - they are the real deal. Run their stuff and have the talent to back it. I like they are coming up north, but this could be 15-20 piece. But Riordan is really good as well, so I have JSerra by 10

Game 5) Windward- had a good season last year and returned EVERYBODY. They will make some noise in SoCal and this should be a breeze. West isn’t the most talented but they play hard, run their game and always compete.

Game 6) Mitty - this was a though one, I really like Mitty but Campo is extremely good this year. I say Mitty in a close one. But I’m not surprised if I’m off.

Game 7) Weston Ranch - Open team last year returned wilburn and got a solid big. Dublin underperformed in my opinion and lost Beasley. I think WR cruises.

What you got?
Not Bad for 10 point underdogs

Reactions: jordan24
A solid debut win for the Crusaders as they hold off JSerra's desperation comeback in the final minute. This was already JSerra's 3rd game, which made the win even more impressive.
Lots of good takeaways as well as areas of improvement which should take care of itself as the season progresses. Bryce with the huge game scoring 33 points and named player of the game. A zone defense wrinkle in the closing minutes proved the difference as JSerra could not convert as Riordan increased its lead to 9 points providing the cushion to ward off JSerra's furious comeback. JSerra practically mirrored Riordan's team with 2 very good senior guards and 2 senior big men complementing them. Nice opening game for Crusader soph Mor Seck and jr Robert Vaihola with Riiny, Chan, Lee Hubbard, Sean Quanico and Dominic Wilson rounding out the supporting cast. Refs called a very tight game as Hubbard was saddled with 3 quick fouls as well as Monroe. Jelani and Bryce provided the needed senior leadership to earn the win. Nice job Crusaders!

Reactions: frencheezy
A solid debut win for the Crusaders as they hold off JSerra's desperation comeback in the final minute. This was already JSerra's 3rd game, which made the win even more impressive.
Lots of good takeaways as well as areas of improvement which should take care of itself as the season progresses. Bryce with the huge game scoring 33 points and named player of the game. A zone defense wrinkle in the closing minutes proved the difference as JSerra could not convert as Riordan increased its lead to 9 points providing the cushion to ward off JSerra's furious comeback. JSerra practically mirrored Riordan's team with 2 very good senior guards and 2 senior big men complementing them. Nice opening game for Crusader soph Mor Seck and jr Robert Vaihola with Riiny, Chan, Lee Hubbard, Sean Quanico and Dominic Wilson rounding out the supporting cast. Refs called a very tight game as Hubbard was saddled with 3 quick fouls as well as Monroe. Jelani and Bryce provided the needed senior leadership to earn the win. Nice job Crusaders!

This was a good measuring stick for Riordan. Playing against a team with just as tall and agile big guys. Bryce was the difference. 1st quarter was a bit hard to watch with the refs not letting the kids play. Riordan's size is going to be a matchup problem during league play. If they impose their inside will early on in games, they will not need to rely on Bryce to carry the offensive load for the rest of the game.

I’m not impressed. Bryce had a hell of a game. But overall - horrible shot selection, no bench, Clark and 23 are the only ones who defend. But that’s a good win over a good team; it’s early in the season. They need an identity. Cause that won’t win the open.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I’m not impressed. Bryce had a hell of a game. But overall - horrible shot selection, no bench, Clark and 23 are the only ones who defend. But that’s a good win over a good team; it’s early in the season. They need an identity. Cause that won’t win the open.
Cant give credit when credit is due and you picked them to lose by 10...got it...

Reactions: jordan24
Good win over a good team, but I’m not impressed. What you want me to say?
Say what you feel , you've read my posts before ...I am not here to beat a drum or argue. You are entitled to your thoughts and opinions. I respect all. All I said was not bad for a 10 point underdog that you said this game might get ugly and be a 15 to 20 point loss for Riordan. JSerra has played 3 games. That was Riordan's first game with only 2 returning starters. Not bad in my eyes. A lot of room for improvement but I personally like adjustments and improvements after wins. All good

Reactions: frencheezy
Good win for Riordan & Norcal! Bryce is a stud, Jelani brings the intangibles. Top backcourt in Norcal imo. #23 is a game changer. Open team for sure. Not sure enough depth to beat Sheldon. Enjoy this season because this backcourt + #23 doesnt come around often in Norcal except for Sheldon.

Say what you feel , you've read my posts before ...I am not here to beat a drum or argue. You are entitled to your thoughts and opinions. I respect all. All I said was not bad for a 10 point underdog that you said this game might get ugly and be a 15 to 20 point loss for Riordan. JSerra has played 3 games. That was Riordan's first game with only 2 returning starters. Not bad in my eyes. A lot of room for improvement but I personally like adjustments and improvements after wins. All good

I'd love to see more sets with Seck setting high screen for either Bryce or Jelani and then rim run. Not alot of teams will have the personnel to even challenge that. Basically this play is what its going to come down to in the event Riordan gets seeded in Open and up to either Bryce/Jelani to deliver. Riordan does not have a big man with a money post move.

Riordan looked good but they really didn’t run anything other than the high screen and roll. Come playoff time teams will take that away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT