ADVERTISEMENT

2017 WCAL - Looking Forward

Wasn't Gamboa the kicker in 2012 as well?[/QUOTE]

CityBaseballFan - Aaron Gamboa was the kicker in 2011-2012 as a junior and missed the PAT that would have beaten DLS, though not fair to blame him as QB McHugh missed 2 of 3 FG's of which either would have also beaten DLS. Aaron Gamboa was not listed on the roster for 2012-2013 his senior year.

I am guessing Aaron Gamboa was related to Juan Gamboa who was the greatest kicker in Bellarmine's history kicking a 48 yard and 52 yard field goals in one season [WCAL record is 56 yards].

Jordan - did not realize that 2 Riordan players set/ties WCAL records in 2015 last season. Aiden Verba-Hamilton now holds the record for 4 TD receptions in one game while Jacky Luavasa is tied with 4 other QB's for having thrown 5 TD passes in one game. Lot of good teams & players over the years to have your name on that list!

Reactions: rabbit5
As stated many times before on the board Calpreps isn't a credible source until 3 or 4 games into the season.

The preview last year had
Oak Grove at 24.1 and they finished at 48
Bellarmine at 43.8 and they finished at 58.8
Los Gatos at 37.7 and they finished at 25.6
Riordan at 18.9 and they finished at 42

Let it get some data before giving anything you see on it credence

Reactions: jordan24
WCAL 2016 Football Pre-Season Preview

Bellarmine “Bell’s” 2016 Team Preview:

Bellarmine 2015 Varsity Record = Overall 13-2 and WCAL League 6-1

Junior Varsity 2015 Record = Overall 9-1 and WCAL League 7-0

Frosh 2015 Record = Overall 3-6 and WCAL League 3-4

*JV & Frosh a combined 12-7 overall.

Best Game of 2015 Season:Without question the Bell’s best game came against its toughest opponent in unbeaten Folsom in the NorCal Div I playoff hosted at Folsom. The Bell’s entered the game as heavy underdogs and did what they have done time & again for years’ in the WCAL –the Bell’s stayed close, made fewer mistakes than their opponent and did just enough to win 42-35 [did I mention superb coaching as well?]. The Bell’s teams never seem to be intimidated against any other team and always have a mindset they can win – a confidence Coach Janda seems masterful in instilling in his players. To go into Folsom against a much higher rated & undefeated opponent with a 30-game win streak at home and defeat them before their home crowd is something very few teams could have accomplished – a testament to last season’s team of some very special athletes.

Worst Loss of 2015:Since there were only 2 losses the choice is limited. A 35-28 loss to a 6-4 Mitty team that finished 6th in the 8-team WCAL or a 24-0 shut-out at the hands of undefeated Mission Viejo [16-0] in the state Div. I title game. Rarely do teams go undefeated in the WCAL and the Mitty loss occurred without the Bell’s starting QB Troy Martig, which would be a big blow to any team. I would have to go with the Mission Viejo loss in which possibly the Bell’s could have done a little better. I think possibly the Bell’s gave their all at Folsom and simply were “not up” traveling the following week to take on another powerhouse team. Granted Mission Viejo was the highest rated team the Bell’s faced in 2015 and was rated even above Folsom at #4 in CA [while Bell’s were ranked 13th]. Of Mission Viejo’s 16 wins the Bell’s were only 1 of 2 teams that were shut-out, the other being a dreadful Dana Point team that lost 77-0 to Mission Viejo. 2 weeks prior Mission Viejo played Vista Murrieta a team with nearly identical ranking to the Bell’s and escaped with a close 21-14 win. In 6 of their 16 wins Mission Viejo played teams with lower rankings than the Bell’s in which all 6 of the teams scored 2-3 TD’s and lost to MV by a lower point differential. I do take into account this was a state title game and all teams match up differently. I am also taking into account the Bell’s offense and the athletes they had on this 2015 team and felt they should have been able to score on Mission Viejo given they had just scored 42 points vs Folsom. Other than the Mitty game which may have been excusable, the shut-out to Mission Viejo was the only other blemish on the Bell’s 13-2 record.

Most Important Game: I have this as a tie & both for the same reasons. I felt the Bell’s most important games were the 2 wins over Del Oro & Folsom of the Sierra Foothill League, considered by many as the toughest league in NorCal. Now for years we’ve read the posts how the Sac-San Joaquin area top teams are the best in NorCal [other than DLS of course] and that the WCAL teams were not at the same level. There have been relatively few games between the 2 leagues/sections and the 2 games of the highest profile recently were the 2012 Granite Bay 45-17 drubbing of St. Ignatius in the Div I Norcal playoff and then the Del Oro 28-20 win over Serra in the 2013 NorCal Div I game. In the last several years however despite the Sac-San Joaquin fans talk there were indications the WCAL was in fact equal in talent among the top tier teams, possibly with the exception of Folsom. We all know that DLS is the benchmark by which all NorCal teams are judged. In 2014 DLS played Serra and won by 41-13 while beating Del Oro by 52-0. In 2015 DLS played Serra and won 37-21 while beating Granite Bay 37-0 and Del Oro 41-7. In recent years the only 2 NorCal teams which have come close to a win over the nearly unbeatable DLS Spartan’s have been Serra & Bellarmine of the WCAL. In the past 7 season’s Serra & Bellarmine have had 4 losses to DLS within 7-points, with 2 games being 3-points or less [Bell’s lost 26-23 in 2 O/T’s in 2011 and Serra 29-28 in 2008]. No other Sac-San Joaquin team has even come close to taking down the Spartan’s including Folsom.
The Bell’s 2 wins over both Del Oro & Folsom were validation that the WCAL does indeed possess some of the best teams in NorCal equal to anything the Sac-San Joaquin leagues have to offer.

So enough of past recent history and back to present day Bellarmine. In most years’ Bellarmine has better teams than 90% of the schools out there. They are the largest male enrollment private in NorCal and annually feature some of the best athletes you’ll see in any sport [see DLS for comparison purposes].

So what does the transition from the star studded team of 2015 to 2016 mean? Often I wonder how the Bell’s will reload as they really don’t ever seem to be in a “rebuild” mode. Simply based upon student body the Bell’s have an edge in numbers of athletes [though often their roster is smaller than a number of other WCAL schools]. It seems the success of their JV teams may be an indication they choose to have talented sophs stay at the JV level & play rather than warm the bench on varsity. Here is the list of outstanding players who Bellarmine loses to graduation which includes the 3 fastest players in football uniforms last season in the WCAL [Macauley, Martig & Buenrostro]. Not Returning: Kyle Macauley – Co-MVP WR, but should have been MVP Utility Player as played WR/RB/KR/PR/DB and fastest player in WCAL, Troy Martig – All league first team QB and fastest QB in the CCS, Devon Buenrostro – All League first team RB who was terrific 2-way player along with Macauley and the 3rd fastest player in WCAL after Macauley & Martig [the 3 players were on Bell’s record setting 400M relay team before Macauley was injured and didn’t participate in 2015 track], Jacob Bergstrom – MVP LB for WCAL also played OT as 2-way player, Wolfie Rehbock – All League first team OL/DL 2-way player who also stood out in games, Antonio Garcia – RB/LB who filled in admirably at RB, Josh Bringuel – TE/DE who shined in the post season games. Now there are other players not returning from the team who went to state, but that is quite a list of 7 dynamic players who could transform any team into a contender for the WCAL title.

So who does return for the Bell’s? At the start of last season Bellarmine’s roster was at just under 60-players and during post season a number of JV players were added to that roster [as many schools do for playoffs]. Of the starting initial team the Bell’s graduated 35 seniors or over ½ the team. This is similar to what occurred the previous 2 season’s for the Bell’s however with their system and the success at the JV level they seem to replace many talented players year in and year out. Here are notable players who return: Cade Hall [6’2 – 200] – WCAL Soph POY- plays G/DT, Bobby Facchino [5’11 – 210] C/LB, Justin Malone [6’3 – 220] TE/LB,
Jackson Burrill [6’3 – 225] FB/LB, Ike Ogbogu [6’1 – 180] QB back-up from last season & talented athlete. The Bell’s coaching staff already has 20 players penciled in from JV which would bring the varsity roster to mid-40’s and would not include any Frosh who may be brought up. Bell’s roster therefore should be minimum 52-55 players and likely closer to 60 again.

Conclusion: Can the Bell’s reload as well as they did the last 2 seasons? The key factor is the Bell’s have a good system in place and some of the best coaches around. Bellarmine’s coaches are masterful at utilizing the right athletes at the right positions and using the very best on both sides of the ball it seems. Even when Bell’s have smaller rosters & are under-sized physically compared to other WCAL teams, they have a handful of players going both ways & they find a way to win [similar to DLS]. Over the years looking at WCAL records they are one of the teams that win the majority of close games they play – which I attribute to the system and the coaching. It’s difficult to imagine how the coaches will replace such talented players as those who graduated, but they’ve done it before and could do it again this season. Coming off a 13-2 season with a WCAL Title, a CCS Open Title, an upset of Folsom breaking Folsom’s long win streak, and a trip to state it’s hard to count the Bell’s out this season. Throw in last season’s 9-1 JV team and likely Bellarmine’s winning ways will continue.

Next Up: St. Francis Lancers

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Great write up Rmbr26. A wealth of information on the WCAL. So what kind of Offenses these teams runs. An earlier post stated that VC Runs the Wing T. Bells run the Double Wing? Serra using the Spread? Would like to know. -tia!

Reactions: jordan24 and Rmbr26
Jordan - did not realize that 2 Riordan players set/ties WCAL records in 2015 last season. Aiden Verba-Hamilton now holds the record for 4 TD receptions in one game while Jacky Luavasa is tied with 4 other QB's for having thrown 5 TD passes in one game. Lot of good teams & players over the years to have your name on that list!
Wow! I knew both had breakout seasons...It would have been great to see last season's team under Fordon a year earlier when the nucleus of the team were juniors. Really underscores the woeful coaching of the previous regime.

Wow! I knew both had breakout seasons...It would have been great to see last season's team under Fordon a year earlier when the nucleus of the team were juniors. Really underscores the woeful coaching of the previous regime.

Yes 2 season's with the same talented skill players and totally different results from 2 different coaches [who said coaches were only as good as their players?]. Hopefully the winning tradition will continue under Coach Fordon ["winning is addictive once it happens"].

Last edited:
I believe the records set by AV-H and Luavasa were against the Padres in the barn burner. Don't think we'll see that type of scoring btwn 2 WCAL teams in a while. Serra will be chomping at the bit when it faces the Crusaders @ Tom Brady Family Stadium this fall.

Great preview. To add to it:

On offense - Bells should reload on offense and will be fast.

Skill players
Ike Ogbogu. Sr, QB, 6'1, 180, athletic, tough runner, and very mobile (quick) and accurate passer intermediate and long routes, 4.66 40, Not as fast as last season's QB but he is tough in a different way and bigger and tough to tackle.

Justin Malone, Sr, TE, 6'3, 215, Fast 4.6 40, Honorable mention WCAL returns.

Jackson Burrill, Sr, OLB/FB, 6-2 227, big and strong, Honorable mention WCAL, Very good LB.

Nick Vallner, Sr, WR, 6-0, 180, 4.55 40, WR/DB, fast and good receiver.

Brendon Manigo, Sr., RB/OLB, 5-10, 190, listed 4.5 40, strong and fast; If like his brother will be a formidable RB.

Line returners-
Cade Hall, Jr, NG/OL, 6-3, 225, 2nd team WCAL;

Bobby Facchino, Sr, 5-11, 200, C/OG, 2nd team WCAL;

Not sure if Earvin Da Silva, Sr, 5-9, 170, RB/WR, will play. 10.93 100 M in track. He sat out last couple seasons. Was a very good receiver as a freshman. I assume he is focused on track.

Last season QB Martiq and WR/RB McCauley would basically will them to win at times. Two special players.

On their worst game. I'm not sure playing better would have helped them against that Mission Viejo team. Bells were completely over matched in size, speed and physicality. The game ended closer than it should have been. MV would win 99% of the time. It was just a really bad matchup. I think Folsom probably would have been a better matchup at least on the line and that offense they have. I think the other Bells loss was their worst...it was one they should have won even with players out.

This year's Bells team may not have the defense of last season and that could be the difference although depends on how hard the players worked in the off season. They will have alot of quick, strong, linebacker types and the ball control will keep the game scores low. Although they will have speed, it has to be seen of they will have the player emerge that can break a TD at any time of the game like last season. They should certainly challenge the top tier teams in the league and will be dangerous. They will probably be a tad less as good as last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmbr26
Great write up Rmbr26. A wealth of information on the WCAL. So what kind of Offenses these teams runs. An earlier post stated that VC Runs the Wing T. Bells run the Double Wing? Serra using the Spread? Would like to know. -tia!

Here you go -

Bellarmine - Double Wing/Shotgun Double Wing
St. Francis - Pro-I
Valley Christian - Wing-T
Riordan - Spread
Mitty - Spread
Serra - Spread/Double Wing
St. Ignatius - Fly
Sacred Heart Cathedral - Flexbone Option/Shotgun Double Wing

Reactions: Rmbr26
NorCalSportsFan - no doubt the Bell's will have some speed, but wondering if you are thinking they will have Macauley, Martig & Buenrostro speed [ -which is sayin' something.

Question about Ike Ogbogu. Looking at your comments and his size, how come the Bell's didin't utilize his talents last season except against Mitty which they lost? Good size player who likely could play DB or safety. The Mitty game woud indicate a significant drop off between Martig & Ogbogu, so first game will be interestingto see how he handles the offense.

I did miss listing Vallner in my preview although I could not remember how much he contributed in terms of pass receptions - any idea? One frustrating item about Bellarmine football is that no one keeps track of stats in terms of posting to MaxPreps, NorCalPreps or any other site. Maybe a Bell's fan will surprise us this season, we'll see...

Here you go -

Bellarmine - Double Wing/Shotgun Double Wing
St. Francis - Pro-I
Valley Christian - Wing-T
Riordan - Spread
Mitty - Spread
Serra - Spread/Double Wing
St. Ignatius - Fly
Sacred Heart Cathedral - Flexbone Option/Shotgun Double Wing

Thanks ncpfan - good memory! I guess the big question is whether S.I. will stick with the "Fly" offense with their stats and scoring plummeting the last several seasons. Could SHC show us a new look as well?

Bellarmine “Bell’s” 2016 Team Preview:

Bellarmine 2015 Varsity Record = Overall 13-2 and WCAL League 6-1

Junior Varsity 2015 Record = Overall 9-1 and WCAL League 7-0

Frosh 2015 Record = Overall 3-6 and WCAL League 3-4

*JV & Frosh a combined 12-7 overall.

Best Game of 2015 Season:Without question the Bell’s best game came against its toughest opponent in unbeaten Folsom in the NorCal Div I playoff hosted at Folsom. The Bell’s entered the game as heavy underdogs and did what they have done time & again for years’ in the WCAL –the Bell’s stayed close, made fewer mistakes than their opponent and did just enough to win 42-35 [did I mention superb coaching as well?]. The Bell’s teams never seem to be intimidated against any other team and always have a mindset they can win – a confidence Coach Janda seems masterful in instilling in his players. To go into Folsom against a much higher rated & undefeated opponent with a 30-game win streak at home and defeat them before their home crowd is something very few teams could have accomplished – a testament to last season’s team of some very special athletes.

Worst Loss of 2015:Since there were only 2 losses the choice is limited. A 35-28 loss to a 6-4 Mitty team that finished 6th in the 8-team WCAL or a 24-0 shut-out at the hands of undefeated Mission Viejo [16-0] in the state Div. I title game. Rarely do teams go undefeated in the WCAL and the Mitty loss occurred without the Bell’s starting QB Troy Martig, which would be a big blow to any team. I would have to go with the Mission Viejo loss in which possibly the Bell’s could have done a little better. I think possibly the Bell’s gave their all at Folsom and simply were “not up” traveling the following week to take on another powerhouse team. Granted Mission Viejo was the highest rated team the Bell’s faced in 2015 and was rated even above Folsom at #4 in CA [while Bell’s were ranked 13th]. Of Mission Viejo’s 16 wins the Bell’s were only 1 of 2 teams that were shut-out, the other being a dreadful Dana Point team that lost 77-0 to Mission Viejo. 2 weeks prior Mission Viejo played Vista Murrieta a team with nearly identical ranking to the Bell’s and escaped with a close 21-14 win. In 6 of their 16 wins Mission Viejo played teams with lower rankings than the Bell’s in which all 6 of the teams scored 2-3 TD’s and lost to MV by a lower point differential. I do take into account this was a state title game and all teams match up differently. I am also taking into account the Bell’s offense and the athletes they had on this 2015 team and felt they should have been able to score on Mission Viejo given they had just scored 42 points vs Folsom. Other than the Mitty game which may have been excusable, the shut-out to Mission Viejo was the only other blemish on the Bell’s 13-2 record.

Most Important Game: I have this as a tie & both for the same reasons. I felt the Bell’s most important games were the 2 wins over Del Oro & Folsom of the Sierra Foothill League, considered by many as the toughest league in NorCal. Now for years we’ve read the posts how the Sac-San Joaquin area top teams are the best in NorCal [other than DLS of course] and that the WCAL teams were not at the same level. There have been relatively few games between the 2 leagues/sections and the 2 games of the highest profile recently were the 2012 Granite Bay 45-17 drubbing of St. Ignatius in the Div I Norcal playoff and then the Del Oro 28-20 win over Serra in the 2013 NorCal Div I game. In the last several years however despite the Sac-San Joaquin fans talk there were indications the WCAL was in fact equal in talent among the top tier teams, possibly with the exception of Folsom. We all know that DLS is the benchmark by which all NorCal teams are judged. In 2014 DLS played Serra and won by 41-13 while beating Del Oro by 52-0. In 2015 DLS played Serra and won 37-21 while beating Granite Bay 37-0 and Del Oro 41-7. In recent years the only 2 NorCal teams which have come close to a win over the nearly unbeatable DLS Spartan’s have been Serra & Bellarmine of the WCAL. In the past 7 season’s Serra & Bellarmine have had 4 losses to DLS within 7-points, with 2 games being 3-points or less [Bell’s lost 26-23 in 2 O/T’s in 2011 and Serra 29-28 in 2008]. No other Sac-San Joaquin team has even come close to taking down the Spartan’s including Folsom.
The Bell’s 2 wins over both Del Oro & Folsom were validation that the WCAL does indeed possess some of the best teams in NorCal equal to anything the Sac-San Joaquin leagues have to offer.

So enough of past recent history and back to present day Bellarmine. In most years’ Bellarmine has better teams than 90% of the schools out there. They are the largest male enrollment private in NorCal and annually feature some of the best athletes you’ll see in any sport [see DLS for comparison purposes].

So what does the transition from the star studded team of 2015 to 2016 mean? Often I wonder how the Bell’s will reload as they really don’t ever seem to be in a “rebuild” mode. Simply based upon student body the Bell’s have an edge in numbers of athletes [though often their roster is smaller than a number of other WCAL schools]. It seems the success of their JV teams may be an indication they choose to have talented sophs stay at the JV level & play rather than warm the bench on varsity. Here is the list of outstanding players who Bellarmine loses to graduation which includes the 3 fastest players in football uniforms last season in the WCAL [Macauley, Martig & Buenrostro]. Not Returning: Kyle Macauley – Co-MVP WR, but should have been MVP Utility Player as played WR/RB/KR/PR/DB and fastest player in WCAL, Troy Martig – All league first team QB and fastest QB in the CCS, Devon Buenrostro – All League first team RB who was terrific 2-way player along with Macauley and the 3rd fastest player in WCAL after Macauley & Martig [the 3 players were on Bell’s record setting 400M relay team before Macauley was injured and didn’t participate in 2015 track], Jacob Bergstrom – MVP LB for WCAL also played OT as 2-way player, Wolfie Rehbock – All League first team OL/DL 2-way player who also stood out in games, Antonio Garcia – RB/LB who filled in admirably at RB, Josh Bringuel – TE/DE who shined in the post season games. Now there are other players not returning from the team who went to state, but that is quite a list of 7 dynamic players who could transform any team into a contender for the WCAL title.

So who does return for the Bell’s? At the start of last season Bellarmine’s roster was at just under 60-players and during post season a number of JV players were added to that roster [as many schools do for playoffs]. Of the starting initial team the Bell’s graduated 35 seniors or over ½ the team. This is similar to what occurred the previous 2 season’s for the Bell’s however with their system and the success at the JV level they seem to replace many talented players year in and year out. Here are notable players who return: Cade Hall [6’2 – 200] – WCAL Soph POY- plays G/DT, Bobby Facchino [5’11 – 210] C/LB, Justin Malone [6’3 – 220] TE/LB,
Jackson Burrill [6’3 – 225] FB/LB, Ike Ogbogu [6’1 – 180] QB back-up from last season & talented athlete. The Bell’s coaching staff already has 20 players penciled in from JV which would bring the varsity roster to mid-40’s and would not include any Frosh who may be brought up. Bell’s roster therefore should be minimum 52-55 players and likely closer to 60 again.

Conclusion: Can the Bell’s reload as well as they did the last 2 seasons? The key factor is the Bell’s have a good system in place and some of the best coaches around. Bellarmine’s coaches are masterful at utilizing the right athletes at the right positions and using the very best on both sides of the ball it seems. Even when Bell’s have smaller rosters & are under-sized physically compared to other WCAL teams, they have a handful of players going both ways & they find a way to win [similar to DLS]. Over the years looking at WCAL records they are one of the teams that win the majority of close games they play – which I attribute to the system and the coaching. It’s difficult to imagine how the coaches will replace such talented players as those who graduated, but they’ve done it before and could do it again this season. Coming off a 13-2 season with a WCAL Title, a CCS Open Title, an upset of Folsom breaking Folsom’s long win streak, and a trip to state it’s hard to count the Bell’s out this season. Throw in last season’s 9-1 JV team and likely Bellarmine’s winning ways will continue.

Next Up: St. Francis Lancers
The MV game was by far the most disappointing loss for the Bells. They had -22 yards going into the 4th quarter. How that was possible with those special and fast players I'll never understand. They averaged 30.8 PPG. Their two lowest scoring games were the shut out to MV, and when they scored 14 points against Riordan. Other than those two games they never scored less than 4 touchdowns in a game.

Coach Fordon mentioned he would mix in more running schemes along with the spread as he stated in the Media Day event @ Levi's Stadium in July. Most likely to take advantage of FB JR, Lasa Tofi, Jr Max Mezie and speedster Josh Boone. JR Khaliq Latimore is expected to also contribute. Boone and Latimore ran varsity track. Supposedly, there's a transfer rb joining the Crusaders per Coach Fordon but he doesn't yet appear on any roster. Perhaps J2 or anyone else can shed some light? Riordan also adds a 250lb JR lineman who played varsity as a soph @ Lincoln -SF.

The MV game was by far the most disappointing loss for the Bells. They had -22 yards going into the 4th quarter. How that was possible with those special and fast players I'll never understand. They averaged 30.8 PPG. Their two lowest scoring games were the shut out to MV, and when they scored 14 points against Riordan. Other than those two games they never scored less than 4 touchdowns in a game.

That was the conclusion I reached looking at the teams stats from throughout the season.
The Bell's were clearly flat throughout the MV game after having put up 42 points vs Folsom the week before. Disappointing considering the athletes the Bell's had on that team.

Reactions: Mr. Direct
That was the conclusion I reached looking at the teams stats from throughout the season.
The Bell's were clearly flat throughout the MV game after having put up 42 points vs Folsom the week before. Disappointing considering the athletes the Bell's had on that team.
Agree Bells were flat against MV, but MV was a match up the Bells had no answer to. MV lines even missing one of their top linemen dominated the Bells.

As far as Ike Ogbogu, one game performance as backup when you don't play much during the season isn't a good indication of how good he will be. I just watch his film and he will be very good, especially when given the time to start and prepare to start and having the extra year. He throws a decent pass (not as accurate as Martig), but he also is a good runner and tough to tackle. Martg was a game changer that could break a TD on any touch, As mentioned, I thought Martig and McCauley were special players that took them over the top. They will miss them and with that the two players that can break one on any touch and is reason I don't chose them to win the WCAL (probably will compete for 3 or 4 position) although they could surprise. This years team will have good speed and a couple very good playmakers but also may be more physical at the skill positions. Line is a questionmark. They seem like they will be more of a sustained drive ball control team on offense with less explosiveness on offense but very good in any event. I think Valley Christian may given them some problems matchup wise on the line.

We are in agreement NorCalSportsFan in regards to the assessment of the Bellarmine team this year. They will be fast, but not as fast as last season & their defense will be very good, but not quite as good as last season. The new QB will do well, but is not Martig and likely there is no one coming up who is quite as explosive as Macauley. The team itself should be solid, but will be missing just enough of the "key ingredients" or "x-factors" to not be considered as the favorite to capture another WCAL crown this season IMO. After the team previews conclude I'll predict my finish of WCAL teams & a few fans may be in for a surprise.

Reactions: jordan24
Agree Bells were flat against MV, but MV was a match up the Bells had no answer to. MV lines even missing one of their top linemen dominated the Bells.

As far as Ike Ogbogu, one game performance as backup when you don't play much during the season isn't a good indication of how good he will be. I just watch his film and he will be very good, especially when given the time to start and prepare to start and having the extra year. He throws a decent pass (not as accurate as Martig), but he also is a good runner and tough to tackle. Martg was a game changer that could break a TD on any touch, As mentioned, I thought Martig and McCauley were special players that took them over the top. They will miss them and with that the two players that can break one on any touch and is reason I don't chose them to win the WCAL (probably will compete for 3 or 4 position) although they could surprise. This years team will have good speed and a couple very good playmakers but also may be more physical at the skill positions. Line is a questionmark. They seem like they will be more of a sustained drive ball control team on offense with less explosiveness on offense but very good in any event. I think Valley Christian may given them some problems matchup wise on the line.
Ogbogu was also the Bells QB in their big win against then-undefeated Riordan. Their offense mixed it up well to keep the Riordan defense second-guessing, and Ogbogu looked like a poised veteran running that team.

Ogbogu was also the Bells QB in their big win against then-undefeated Riordan. Their offense mixed it up well to keep the Riordan defense second-guessing, and Ogbogu looked like a poised veteran running that team.
Yes. He ran the offense very well moving the ball and chewing up time to keep the frustrated Riordan offense off the field. Controversial play in the first half when an apparent Crusader INT in the end zone for a touchback was ruled incomplete. Next play McCauley catches a TD in tight coverage. That was the ballgame as both defenses kept each other out of the end zone in the 2nd half. Bell coaches did their homework after scouting the Serra-Riordan fireworks show the week before.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, First post on these boards. I am a Bellarmine Alumni so my bias will show from time to time (Sorry Padre and Lancer fans). I enjoyed reading these posts when i played some years back and figured why not throw out some knowledge for people wanting to know how/why Bellarmine is so competitive every year.
Everyone likes to talk about Janda as the reason for the discipline and success however very few people notice the assistant coaches. One man in particular, Coach John Amarillas. If you have every seen the coaching staff or watched a game you have probably seen the 6'6 pony-tailed, bearded, giant pacing the sidelines. This man wears too many hats to count. He coaches: LB's, OL, special teams, Defensive coordinator and weight trainer. He, IMHO, is what makes the Bells so courageous. I witnessed him kick starters out of practice for not having correct footwork on two plays in a row. I have seen him replace 1st team all WCAL players during games because they didn't hustle to the football or didn't block down field. If your hand doesn't snap down on the count (a noticeable aspect to anyone who has seen the Bells OL) consider yourself a bench warmer. I have seen Coach Amo make summer campers do 200 yards of bear crawls for failing to get into proper, even, lines on the first day...He will never let anyone compromise the standard, ever.
For that reason i will always consider the Bells a perennial favorite to win or compete for a WCAL and CCS title. Mistakes are just simply not allowed which is why the Bells are able to win such close games.
For those who are frustrated by the double-wing, i can tell you that if you stop it they will adjust and execute the adjustment just as fluidly as if they had game planned all week for it. Serra recently tried to adopt it but can't make the same on the fly adjustments the bells can. The Bells also know the best way to stop their own offense, self scouting is a major component to the bells adaptability.
I don't have a lot of inside knowledge for the 2016 Bells but i can tell you that as long as that coaching staff is in charge you will see a team isn't scared to punch anyone in the mouth and smile doing it.

Thank God Football is Back!!!
Go Bells,
My name is MacNamara, Im the leader of the Band.

Welcome to the board Mac! Hopefully it's cool to call you that? I'm looking forward to hopefully a big senior year from former Bells linebacker Joe Gigantino down at Cal Poly.

Last edited:
Welcome MacNamaraSJ - enjoyed your input regarding the big fella with the pony tail - seen that coach pacing the sidelines for years & always wondered what his story was.
What you say makes sense as the Bell's win close games simply by making fewer mistakes than their opponents. Granted you have to have some talent as well and the Bell's seem to have that just about every year I can ever remember, esp at the QB position - one good one after another.
This season should be interesting.

"Serra recently tried to adopt it but can't make the same on the fly adjustments the bells can"

Not true. Serra has been running double wing for about 10-15 years, although recently are mostly a spread team. Maybe you mean Sacred Heart Cathedral? I think they tried double wing last year.

"Serra recently tried to adopt it but can't make the same on the fly adjustments the bells can"

Not true. Serra has been running double wing for about 10-15 years, although recently are mostly a spread team. Maybe you mean Sacred Heart Cathedral? I think they tried double wing last year.

dcpanda - good memory on Serra & the double-wing. I remember Serra adopting that offense a couple years after coach Walsh arrived and at the time it was quite unusual to watch. Serra had immediate success using it and beat Bellarmine the first year they installed that offense. I was a bit dismayed though when the Bell's copied Serra and also started using the double-wing the following year. As dcpanda states though, Serra has used several spread formations the last several year's and has used the double-wing to lessor degree to give other teams several different looks. The Bell's also will go into a spread at times, but not nearly as often as they run that double-wing awfully precise.

Coach Peralta also ran the double wing when he coached @ Riordan. His 2000 WCAL title team had a talented and fast backfield that included soph /ex-Niner Eric Wright.

Bells are a very good program and work ethic helps, but I also think they should be dominating or in running for the WCAL title every year. Janda and staff have improved over the years and the team seems to be more dedicated (as wlll as many teams in the WCAL) than a decade plus a ago.. It also helps to be the biggest all boys school in the state at 1604. Almost 400 larger than Loyola and 500-600 more than Jesuit and DeLaSalle .

Bellarmine is much more than a sports school. Much more. Academically, it is one of the finest private college prep high schools in the Far West. Every year, the school churns out National Merit Scholars in bunches. Its legacy in the San Jose community, dating back to 1851, is stunning. In all fairness, competing annually against the likes of St. Francis, Mitty, Valley Christian and Serra, not to mention the three SF schools (who can be tough on occasion), it's no wonder they can't win the crown every year. They have won or shared the title 19 times and finished second close to that figure. Not bad.

Last edited:
Coach Peralta also ran the double wing when he coached @ Riordan. His 2000 WCAL title team had a talented and fast backfield that included soph /ex-Niner Eric Wright.

Eric Wright was on the JV team in the 2000 season. Eric was promoted to the varsity for the playoffs.

The RBs on the 2000 WCAL Championship team were:
Jeremy Konaris (Junior Season) 1484 yards rushing, 17 TDs rushing, 18 TDs on season, 110 points, Kickoff Return TD, 7 100 yard rushing games, 2 200 yard rushing games (Serra, St. Ignatius)
Randy Sims 725 yards rushing, 9 TDs rushing, 54 points, 2 100 yard rushing games
Marc Walker 409 yards rushing, 7 TDs rushing, 9 TDs on season, 59 points, 2 catches for 49 yards and a TD, 4 interceptions on the season, Punt Return TD
Rich Meier 220 yards rushing, 4 TDs rushing (Fullback) 38 kicked extra points, 6 FGs 80 points

QB Orlando Hodges 636 yards passing, 38 of 85 passes complete, 6 TDs, 81 yards rushing

Receiver
Nayo Mouton-Fuentes 12 catches for 230 yards and 4 TDs, 8 interceptions on the season, Punt Return TD, 48 yards rushing
Mark Rosen (Sophomore Season) 7 catches for 157 yards and 1 TD

Dennis Alaba 2 interceptions on the season

Only 2 teams held that Riordan team to less than 200 yards rushing in a game, 5 games Riordan gained over 300 yards rushing

Other RBs
Matt Ilarina (Junior Season) rushed for a TD and gained 127 yards
Dionte Swanson (Junior Season) rushed for 3 TDs and gained 169 yards
Eric Wright (Sophomore Season [Playoffs]) rushed for a TD and gained 131 yards

Other TDs
Jamir Davis recovered a Riordan fumble for a TD, he gained 2 yards on the fumble recovery.

Eric Wright was on the JV team in the 2000 season. Eric was promoted to the varsity for the playoffs.

The RBs on the 2000 WCAL Championship team were:
Jeremy Konaris (Junior Season) 1484 yards rushing, 17 TDs rushing, 18 TDs on season, 110 points, Kickoff Return TD, 7 100 yard rushing games, 2 200 yard rushing games (Serra, St. Ignatius)
Randy Sims 725 yards rushing, 9 TDs rushing, 54 points, 2 100 yard rushing games
Marc Walker 409 yards rushing, 7 TDs rushing, 9 TDs on season, 59 points, 2 catches for 49 yards and a TD, 4 interceptions on the season, Punt Return TD
Rich Meier 220 yards rushing, 4 TDs rushing (Fullback) 38 kicked extra points, 6 FGs 80 points

QB Orlando Hodges 636 yards passing, 38 of 85 passes complete, 6 TDs, 81 yards rushing

Receiver
Nayo Mouton-Fuentes 12 catches for 230 yards and 4 TDs, 8 interceptions on the season, Punt Return TD, 48 yards rushing
Mark Rosen (Sophomore Season) 7 catches for 157 yards and 1 TD

Dennis Alaba 2 interceptions on the season

Only 2 teams held that Riordan team to less than 200 yards rushing in a game, 5 games Riordan gained over 300 yards rushing

Other RBs
Matt Ilarina (Junior Season) rushed for a TD and gained 127 yards
Dionte Swanson (Junior Season) rushed for 3 TDs and gained 169 yards
Eric Wright (Sophomore Season [Playoffs]) rushed for a TD and gained 131 yards

Other TDs
Jamir Davis recovered a Riordan fumble for a TD, he gained 2 yards on the fumble recovery.
Thanks Pat! Way to keep me honest . What's your take on this year's team? Do you know anything about the transfer running back that Coach Fordon mentioned in a Prep2prep story?

St. Francis Lancer’s 2016 Team Preview:

SF 2015 Varsity Record = Overall 12-3 and WCAL League 6-1

Junior Varsity 2015 Record = Overall 2-8 and WCAL League 1-6

Frosh 2015 Record = Overall 7-2 and WCAL League 5-2

· JV & Frosh combined record of 9-10

Best Game of 2015 Season: Just had to go with the Lancer’s 43-42 shoot-out win over Serra after having lost 28-26 the week prior to the Bell’s. In a game full of big plays similar to the Riordan-Serra game the Lancer’s survived 4 TD’s by Serra’s Leki Nunn to pull this one out.
For those familiar with “The Curse” in which SF had a 32-year win streak [1973-2005] vs the Serra Padres, it ended in 2005, however the Lancer’s still find ways to beat Serra on a regular basis and frustrate the Padres faithful fan base [most recent to this game was the 2013 season when SF roared back to beat the Padres 41-34 on senior night at SF].

Despite a Cyrus Habibi-Likio 92 yard kickoff return for SF to start the game, Serra came right back and scored the next 3 TD’s. Both teams scored again and Serra seemed to have the momentum at the ½ leading 28-17. SF outscored Serra 13-7 in the 3rd quarter to make the score 35-30 Serra entering the 4th. With 4 minutes remaining Serra’s Leki Nunn scores his 4th TD on a 40 yard run to up Serra’s lead to 42-30. With under 3 minutes remaining SF’s Cyrus Habibi-Likio scores on a short run & with the PAT makes the score 42-37 Serra. Serra then needed a single first down to end the game. Serra had 3 unsuccessful plays in a row and Coach Walsh chose to go on 4th and 2 to secure the win rather than punt. The Lancer’s stopped Serra and took over on their own 40 marching down the field and scoring with 1:35 left to take the lead 43-42 [PAT failed]. Serra had one last gasp with 32 seconds left at mid-field when their QB Leki Nunn was sacked on a 4th & 8 pass attempt. While a tough loss for Serra this was one of the most entertaining games of the 2015 season.

Worst Loss of 2015: St. Francis only had 3 losses on the season and all were close losses, by 2-points 28-26 to Bell’s, by 27-21 to Oak Grove in a rematch and 23-20 to Citrus Hill in the state Div II title game. To pick one I’d have to go with the 2nd Oak Grove game losing in the CCS Div II Championship game. First off Oak Grove made terrific adjustments during the season and finished the CCS playoffs by defeating Mitty, VC & SF in order. St. Francis won the first game vs Oak Grove by 28-13 in the first game of the season and then lost 27-21 in the 13th game of the season [so a 21-point swing in the other direction]. For the season the Lancer’s had more close games than any other WCAL team and when the Lancer’s scored more than 21 points they won 7 of 8 games. Of WCAL upper tier teams SF had the smallest margin of victory overall for their 12 wins. To not win a Div CCS crown was disappointing, but the Lancer’s were still able to play in the state Div II title game.

Most Important Game: The CA state Div II championship vs Citrus Hill. The Lancer’s get one more chance after the loss to Oak Grove to move on outside their section winning first over Pleasant Valley of Chico 29-7 in an impressive win. That win sent the Lancer’s to the title game with a chance to take home a state title crown over SoCal power Citrus Hill. Unfortunately SF would have to do it without their starting QB Kamali Akina who was not available for the game.

Under their #2 QB Reed Vettel the Lancer’s started quickly scoring twice and leading at the ½ by 13-7. Both teams scored a TD in both the 3rd & 4th quarters, however Citrus Hill kicked a 35-yard FG in the 3rd quarter which proved to be the difference in the game with a final of Citrus Hill 23-20 over SF. The losses to both Oak Grove & Citrus Hill were quite similar in numerous respects. The 2 games represented the Lancer’s 2 worst games rushing for the season with the Citrus Hill game resulting in 38 rushes for 70 yards for a 1.8 YPC avg for a season low. On the flip side SF’s #2 QB Reed Vettel performed admirably and as well as most starting WCAL QB’s could have in such a game. Vettel was 8/17 for over 200 yards with 2 TD’s & no INT’s. Now here is the interesting part: SF/Vettel averaged 26 yards per pass completion, yet only attempted 17 passes while rushing 38 times at less than 2 yards per carry[?]. With Vettel competing almost 50% of his passes and a TD for each 4 pass completions the Lancer’s should have changed up their offensive game plan a bit at the ½. The Lancer’s love that “ground & pound” game, but with the WR’s they had such as Darius Thomas & Bennet Williams they could have aired the ball out a bit more – no need to be conservative in a state title game if the run simply isn’t working.
Despite the loss the Lancer’s finished 12-3 and lost a state title game by a single FG.

How do the Lancer’s stack up for 2016? The Lancer’s had one of the larger rosters for the WCAL last season and of that roster graduate 25 senior players. Those among the graduating seniors include: Kevin Glajchen – All League first team OL/LB & the Lancer’s top defensive player last season, Lutoviko Ahoia – ALL League first team RB/LB, Thomas MacDevitt – All League TE/LB, Kamali Akina – All League QB, Ryan Moles – All League first team OL/DL, Adam Poltrack – All League first team DL, Darius Thomas – All League 2nd team WR/DB, Quinn Murdy – Punter, Courtney Ogren – Kicker. So nine important players to replace and who will replace them?

In terms of teams returning talent St. Francis returns a boatload of talent this season. While they do lose some good players they return many of their important pieces of the core team from last season. Here’s who to look for on the 2016 Lancer’s team: Cyrus Habibi-Likio – [6’1-200] RB, WCAL Junior POY and a bruising runner who scored 17 TD’s in 2015, Bennet Williams – [6’0-190] WCAL MVP DB and also can play WR, De’jon Fort – [5’10-170] RB/DB, 2nd team all league, Dominic Graziani – [6’1-220] DL/LB 2nd team all league, Reed Vettel [6’4-175] QB last season’s #2 to Kamali Akina who saw considerable playing time incl. in the state title game where he performed well, Tau Sanft [5’10-230] RB counted on in short yardage situations, Patrick Calcagno – [5’10-160] DB, Jadan Harris – [6’1-200] LB, Dominic Chang – [6’1-200] OL/DL, Matthew Keeth – Kicker.

Conclusion: The Lancer’s return most of their core from a very solid and successful 2015 roster. One question which remains to be answered is how much talent will be added from last season’s 2-8 JV team who went 1-6 in league? Perhaps there will be a number of soph’s from the more successful freshman team who went 7-2 & 5-2 in league. So the Lancer’s return one if not the best RB’s in WCAL in Habibi-Likio, their very capable #2 QB Reed Vettel, several other RB’s who contributed, Bennet Williams who can play both ways along with another of their DB’s and a number of good players from their O/D-lines. SF was a better team defensively than offensively in 2015. While the team played well on both sides of the ball the defense was slightly more consistent. The important thing to remember is that the Lancer’s went 12-3 and had opportunities to win all 3 games in which they lost: 28-26 to Bell’s, 27-21 to Oak Grove and 23-20 to Citrus Hill – so 3 losses by a total of 11 points. The Lancer’s game plan is to pound the ball and they average 10 passes per game. In the 2 late season losses to Oak Grove and Citrus Hill their ground game simply didn’t produce with their lowest numbers of the year. Include their win over Pleasant Valley and SF’s 3 worst games rushing were their last 3 games of the season [?]. When the Lancer’s run game works they are a very difficult team to stop. For 2016 St. Francis will start where they left off which is a good position to be in. With the pieces in place from 2015 the Lancer’s figure to be at the top of the WCAL for this season as well.

Next Up: Serra Padres

Last edited:
Reactions: WCAL75

St. Francis Lancer’s 2016 Team Preview:

SF 2015 Varsity Record = Overall 12-3 and WCAL League 6-1

Junior Varsity 2015 Record = Overall 2-8 and WCAL League 1-6

Frosh 2015 Record = Overall 7-2 and WCAL League 5-2

· JV & Frosh combined record of 9-10

Best Game of 2015 Season: Just had to go with the Lancer’s 43-42 shoot-out win over Serra after having lost 28-26 the week prior to the Bell’s. In a game full of big plays similar to the Riordan-Serra game the Lancer’s survived 4 TD’s by Serra’s Leki Nunn to pull this one out.
For those familiar with “The Curse” in which SF had a 32-year win streak [1973-2005] vs the Serra Padres, it ended in 2005, however the Lancer’s still find ways to beat Serra on a regular basis and frustrate the Padres faithful fan base [most recent to this game was the 2013 season when SF roared back to beat the Padres 41-34 on senior night at SF].

Despite a Cyrus Habibi-Likio 92 yard kickoff return for SF to start the game, Serra came right back and scored the next 3 TD’s. Both teams scored again and Serra seemed to have the momentum at the ½ leading 28-17. SF outscored Serra 13-7 in the 3rd quarter to make the score 35-30 Serra entering the 4th. With 4 minutes remaining Serra’s Leki Nunn scores his 4th TD on a 40 yard run to up Serra’s lead to 42-30. With under 3 minutes remaining SF’s Cyrus Habibi-Likio scores on a short run & with the PAT makes the score 42-37 Serra. Serra then needed a single first down to end the game. Serra had 3 unsuccessful plays in a row and Coach Walsh chose to go on 4th and 2 to secure the win rather than punt. The Lancer’s stopped Serra and took over on their own 40 marching down the field and scoring with 1:35 left to take the lead 43-42 [PAT failed]. Serra had one last gasp with 32 seconds left at mid-field when their QB Leki Nunn was sacked on a 4th & 8 pass attempt. While a tough loss for Serra this was one of the most entertaining games of the 2015 season.

Worst Loss of 2015: St. Francisonly had 3 losses on the season and all were close losses, by 2-points 28-26 to Bell’s, by 27-21 to Oak Grove in a rematch and 23-20 to Citrus Hill in the state Div II title game. To pick one I’d have to go with the 2nd Oak Grove game losing in the CCS Div II Championship game. First off Oak Grove made terrific adjustments during the season and finished the CCS playoffs by defeating Mitty, VC & SF in order. St. Francis won the first game vs Oak Grove by 28-13 in the first game of the season and then lost 27-21 in the 13th game of the season [so a 21-point swing in the other direction]. For the season the Lancer’s had more close games than any other WCAL team and when the Lancer’s scored more than 21 points they won 7 of 8 games. Of WCAL upper tier teams SF had the smallest margin of victory overall for their 12 wins. To not win a Div CCS crown was disappointing, but the Lancer’s were still able to play in the state Div II title game.

Most Important Game: The CA state Div II championship vs Citrus Hill. The Lancer’s get one more chance after the loss to Oak Grove to move on outside their section winning first over Pleasant Valley of Chico 29-7 in an impressive win. That win sent the Lancer’s to the title game with a chance to take home a state title crown over SoCal power. Citrus Hill. Unfortunately SF would have to do it without their starting QB Kamali Akina who was not available for the game.

Under their #2 QB Reed Vettel the Lancer’s started quickly scoring twice and leading at the ½ by 13-7. Both teams scored a TD in both the 3rd & 4th quarters, however Citrus Hill kicked a 35-yard FG in the 3rd quarter which proved to be the difference in the game with a final of Citrus Hill 23-20 over SF. The losses to both Oak Grove & Citrus Hill were quite similar in numerous respects. The 2 games represented the Lancer’s 2 worst games rushing for the season with the Citrus Hill game resulting in 38 rushes for 70 yards for a 1.8 YPC avg for a season low. On the flip side SF’s #2 QB Reed Vettel performed admirably and as well as most starting WCAL QB’s could have in such a game. Vettel was 8/17 for over 200 yards with 2 TD’s & no INT’s. Now here is the interesting part: SF/Vettel averaged 26 yards per pass completion, yet only attempted 17 passes while rushing 38 times at less than 2 yards per carry[?]. With Vettel competing almost 50% of his passes and a TD for each 4 pass completions the Lancer’s should have changed up their offensive game plan a bit at the ½. The Lancer’s love that “ground & pound” game, but with the WR’s they had such as Darius Thomas & Bennet Williams they could have aired the ball out a bit more – no need to be conservative in a state title game if the run simply isn’t working.
Despite the loss the Lancer’s finished 12-3 and lost a state title game by a single FG.

How do the Lancer’s stack up for 2016? The Lancer’s had one of the larger rosters for the WCAL last season and of that roster graduate 25 senior players. Those among the graduating seniors include: Kevin Glajchen – All League first team OL/LB & the Lancer’s top defensive player last season, Lutoviko Ahoia – ALL League first team RB/LB, Thomas MacDevitt – All League TE/LB, Kamali Akina – All League QB, Ryan Moles – All League first team OL/DL, Adam Poltrack – All League first team DL, Darius Thomas – All League 2nd team WR/DB, Quinn Murdy – Punter, Courtney Ogren – Kicker. So nine important players to replace and who will replace them?

In terms of teams returning talent St. Francis returns a boatload of talent this season. While they do lose some good players they return many of their important pieces of the core team from last season. Here’s who to look for on the 2016 Lancer’s team: Cyrus Habibi-Likio – [6’1-200] RB, WCAL Junior POY and a bruising runner who scored 17 TD’s in 2015, Bennet Williams – [6’0-190] WCAL MVP DB and also can play WR, De’jon Fort – [5’10-170] RB/DB, 2nd team all league, Dominic Graziani – [6’1-220] DL/LB 2nd team all league, Reed Vettel [6’4-175] QB last season’s #2 to Kamali Akina who saw considerable playing time incl. in the state title game where he performed well, Tau Sanft [5’10-230] RB counted on in short yardage situations, Patrick Calcagno – [5’10-160] DB, Jadan Harris – [6’1-200] LB, Dominic Chang – [6’1-200] OL/DL, Matthew Keeth – Kicker.

Conclusion: The Lancer’s return most of their core from a very solid and successful 2015 roster. One question which remains to be answered is how much talent will be added from last season’s 2-8 JV team who went 1-6 in league? Perhaps there will be a number of soph’s from the more successful freshman team who went 7-2 & 5-2 in league. So the Lancer’s return one if not the best RB’s in WCAL in Habibi-Likio, their very capable #2 QB Reed Vettel, several other RB’s who contributed, Bennet Williams who can play both ways along with another of their DB’s and a number of good players from their O/D-lines. SF was a better team defensively than offensively in 2015. While the team played well on both sides of the ball the defense was slightly more consistent. The important thing to remember is that the Lancer’s went 12-3 and had opportunities to win all 3 games in which they lost: 28-26 to Bell’s, 27-21 to Oak Grove and 23-20 to Citrus Hill – so 3 losses by a total of 11 points. The Lancer’s game plan is to pound the ball and they average 10 passes per game. In the 2 late season losses to Oak Grove and Citrus Hill their ground game simply didn’t produce with their lowest numbers of the year. Include their win over Pleasant Valley and SF’s 3 worst games rushing were their last 3 games of the season [?]. When the Lancer’s run game works they are a very difficult team to stop. For 2016 St. Francis will start where they left off which is a good position to be in. With the pieces in place from 2015 the Lancer’s figure to be at the top of the WCAL for this season as well.

Next Up: Serra Padres

Great write up Rmbr26. You did a good job zeroing in on the Lancers key problem in their last 3 games which was a problem with their run game.

The Lancers O-line had problems in those 3 games and some others which slowed the run game. The O-line should be better this year and it should be another fun WCAL grind. A lot of people think that the WCAL grind can wear you down(and it does at times) but I think it also gets our teams ready for post season. SF playing in the WCAL benefited it in its games with Pleasant Valley and Citrus Hill.

Great preview
Also on the line is junior Tyler Manoa, Jr.,6-3, 280, DT/OL, who has committed to BYU; and they return Mitchell Mc Cabe, Sr, 6-5, 220, #55, C/OLB;

Other players
Brandon Bains, Sr., RB/Slot, 5-9, 180, fast 10.97 100M should make an impact on offensive side; Tre'Sean Bishop, Sr, 5-10, 160, RB/DB, is another speedster. De’jon Fort, Sr, RB/DB, 2nd team WCA; and Dominic Graziani, Sr, TE/LB, 2nd team WCAL;

Cyrus Habibi-Likio, Sr, 6-1, 200, RB/SS, fast, 4.5-6 40, committed to Washington St, 2015 Season Stats: 2200+ yards and 21 TD's will be a load and one of the top RBs in the section.

Lancers will be in the thick of competing for a WCAL title. Seniors on this team are among the top talent wise and speed in the section.

Great preview
Also on the line is junior Tyler Manoa, Jr.,6-3, 280, DT/OL, who has committed to BYU; and they return Mitchell Mc Cabe, Sr, 6-5, 220, #55, C/OLB;

Other players
Brandon Bains, Sr., RB/Slot, 5-9, 180, fast 10.97 100M should make an impact on offensive side; Tre'Sean Bishop, Sr, 5-10, 160, RB/DB, is another speedster. De’jon Fort, Sr, RB/DB, 2nd team WCA; and Dominic Graziani, Sr, TE/LB, 2nd team WCAL;

Cyrus Habibi-Likio, Sr, 6-1, 200, RB/SS, fast, 4.5-6 40, committed to Washington St, 2015 Season Stats: 2200+ yards and 21 TD's will be a load and one of the top RBs in the section.

Lancers will be in the thick of competing for a WCAL title. Seniors on this team are among the top talent wise and speed in the section.

Thanks for the info Norcal.

Someone may have already noted this but I was looking Oak Groves schedule and they play both Saint Francis and Granite Bay in the preseason.

Thanks for the info Norcal.

Someone may have already noted this but I was looking Oak Groves schedule and they play both Saint Francis and Granite Bay in the preseason.
Oak Grove offense should be balanced. They'll miss Washington at RB,but have an un and coming underclass. They did well in passing tournaments but won't know how good they will be until its full contact. The Granite bay team will have some good size on the lines.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Thanks Pat! Way to keep me honest . What's your take on this year's team? Do you know anything about the transfer running back that Coach Fordon mentioned in a Prep2prep story?
There is no transfer running back. As pointed out by others on this board it was a mistake in the article. Max Mezie was a player on the JV team last season.

Can the Lancers end the losing streak to the Bells? I think it's been almost a decade if memory serves me well.
Always a true battle.

-MacNamara (Mac)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT