ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early 2024-25 Top NorCal Teams

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
With the conclusion of the 2023-24 HS Basketball season, just from my observation it was one of the most competitive at all levels. Congrats to all the League, Section, NorCal and State Winners!
In no particular order I'll start with the top teams heading into next season (based on returning varsity players only) Not familiar with all the programs in NorCal so let's start the discussion. Until the NorCal Tip-off!

Inderkum
Monterey Trail
San Ramon Valley
Salesian
De La Salle
Riordan
Mitty
Moreau
St. Ignatius
Branson
Clovis North
Clovis West
St. Josephs
Modesto Christian

A couple of those above mentioned teams were pretty heavy senior dominated.
Agree, and I also never really considered St. Joseph part of Norcal when I look at our portfolio of top teams.
I think MT loses there top 3 players and Clovis North loses a couple studs (Amundson). Hard to not put Modesto Christian not at #1 and heavy favorites for next year. They made a deep run with a super young team this year.
Gotta throw Folsom and Sheldon on that list also. Both return a lot of talent.

Reactions: jordan24
Oakland Tech returns almost their entire team, although they will graduate #4 Ahmed Gulaid which will be a loss

Reactions: concrete17
With the conclusion of the 2023-24 HS Basketball season, just from my observation it was one of the most competitive at all levels. Congrats to all the League, Section, NorCal and State Winners!
In no particular order I'll start with the top teams heading into next season (based on returning varsity players only) Not familiar with all the programs in NorCal so let's start the discussion. Until the NorCal Tip-off!

Inderkum
Monterey Trail
San Ramon Valley
Salesian
De La Salle
Riordan
Mitty
Moreau
St. Ignatius
Branson
Clovis North
Clovis West
St. Josephs
Modesto Christian
Monterey Trail falls off huge. In the Sacramento area Folsom should be vastly improved. Rocklin returns a lot of CC returns a wealth of talent and size.

Barring transfers we will have many of the same programs as we did this season . Modesto and De La salle will be the top seeds . Dela has some state wide muscle and size returning. Riordan will be tough! Rencher out to prove something, Hillman will be one of the best Juniors in all of nor cal and their center is already one of the best rim protectors.

Transfers, Transfers, and more transfers will happen.
This is the most accurate post. You can't even accurately predict anymore. Other than the fact we know programs like Modesto Christian, Riordan, etc will get transfers. But from my lens MC seems like a clear #1.

Salesian is going to be #1 in NorCal based on how they ended the season, Salesian has returners; Obenyah, Loving, Davis and Perrilliat. I don't see any team in NorCal beating them.

Salesian is going to be #1 in NorCal based on how they ended the season, Salesian has returners; Obenyah, Loving, Davis and Perrilliat. I don't see any team in NorCal beating them.
Agree. Salesian would be the favorite heading into next season. Other teams with varsity returners are:
  • Modesto Christian (5) - Jones, Widemon, Sykes, Idrissu, Atkins
  • DLS (4) - Blair, Monawar, Kjellesvig, Balogun
  • SRV (4) - Isaak, Thomas, Conley twins
  • Riordan (7) - Hilman, John Tofi, Emeneke, Bush, Rencher, Tommy Tofi, Jasen Davis

Agree. Salesian would be the favorite heading into next season. Other teams with varsity returners are:
  • Riordan (7) - Hilman, John Tofi, Emeneke, Bush, Rencher, Tommy Tofi, Jasen Davis
I'm no authority..... but, ModChr lost a couple of strong Sr leaders and players. (Bernard/Washington) Will Idrissu play hoops next year? He may focus on Football, and didn't see the court for the last few weeks.......

i have a feeling #TheR will have the less is more factor going here. Could shock the world!

The most successful program since 2012 in Norcal isn’t getting mentioned. Sheldon has been in 6 of last 12 Norcal finals. 2012 D1 vs Mater Dei and 5 of 11 open finals . 3x open champ if you include the co covid ship with o’dowd.
This year they played the toughest schedule in Norcal and had a successful season despite losing all their size. The Tofi Boys to Riordan and Delta all leaguer Amari Davis who averaged 20 11 6 with multiple triple doubles for Hug in Reno this year. Holds D1 offers
Time will tell but i believe they will be in the mix.

Last edited:
The most successful program since 2012 in Norcal isn’t getting mentioned. Sheldon has been in 6 of last 12 Norcal finals. 2012 D1 vs Mater Dei and 5 of 11 open finals . 3x open champ if you include the co covid ship with o’dowd.
This year they played the toughest schedule in Norcal and had a successful season despite losing all their size. The Tofi Boys to Riordan and Delta all leaguer Amari Davis who averaged 20 11 6 with multiple triple doubles for Hug in Reno this year.
I mentioned them and Folsom around the SJS as top teams.
But you could also make an argument the Sheldon program has been on a little down slide post pandemic. (Compared to before). Program is still very good but not elite status like before. Not sure if its just a dilution factor with so many HS in the area or just kids going to MC, CC, Inderkum, etc. Time will tell.

This year they played the toughest schedule in Norcal and had a successful season despite losing all their size. The Tofi Boys to Riordan and Delta all leaguer Amari Davis who averaged 20 11 6 with multiple triple doubles for Hug in Reno this year. Holds D1 offers
Sheldon's SOS according to MaxPreps was 21.2 compared to 5 of the NorCal Open 6 teams.
Salesian 25.2
Riordan 29.4
Modesto Christian 19.5
Clovis North 26.1
DLS 25.4
Branson 27.2

Having Sheldon in the mix is always a good thing for NorCal though.

Lincoln-Stockton has to be in this mix somewhere... 26-7 in 2024, only one senior starter (admittedly a big one, Quentin Thompson) and strong JV and frosh to fill from.

Just want to throw this out there.

I'm NOT saying they are on Salesian level...

Watch out for Cardinal Newman who didn't graduate a single kid of consequence.

I think they are on the cusp of making an open appearance in NCS...

I'm just saying Streak needs to keep them in mind next season in the pre - season rankings.

***they will be the best team north/west of the Richmond and Golden gate Bridges in the NCS in the state. And I'm including Branson.

Yes I'm calling it now...

Last edited:
I think they will be very solid next year but not one of the better teams in the north. Spears and Singleton can play and Jordan Mize might be the best incoming frosh in this part of the state.

I will add to the excellent picks and breakdowns. Next year will be very competitive for every team mentioned. I yes biased as it will put MC as a top 2 team in California. We have a couple extra pieces that no one has given mention. Again, Salesian is the defending champ. MC wants to pass Mater Dei as the winningest program in the State since 1997. MC the winningest team in Open history will be so so so so so so good. We feel Open Championship is ours!!

Winningest in terms of games or Ships .
You are the lebron of the open . Yes you’ve been 9x , with all the ability to get kids from abroad, been to the final 6x and won only 1x. 9 open appearances 14 wins 8 losses and 1 title.
Sheldon 7 appearances 11 wins ( 2 byes would have given 13 ) 4 losses and 3 titles. You have along way to go to be the top dog in Norcal open.

Winningest in terms of games or Ships .
You are the lebron of the open . Yes you’ve been 9x , with all the ability to get kids from abroad, been to the final 6x and won only 1x. 9 open appearances 14 wins 8 losses and 1 title.
Sheldon 7 appearances 11 wins ( 2 byes would have given 13 ) 4 losses and 3 titles. You have along way to go to be the top dog in Norcal open.
says who you, the uncredible thread master of mis information?
why would norcal preps allow you to have s sticky thread?
i believe the last statement is contrast to the norcal preps allowance/violation of posts/ streak One? a post to create havoc to another poster???

• Haha
Reactions: bella123

I'm just saying Streak needs to keep them in mind next season in the pre - season rankings.

***they will be the best team north/west of the Richmond and Golden gate Bridges in the NCS in the state. And I'm including Branson.

Find me a big guru! Somebody 6"6 who can bang. Agree they will be very good. Hopefully Travis schedules a few good non-league tournaments. Get in the DLS one as a starter.

says who you, the uncredible thread master of mis information?
why would norcal preps allow you to have s sticky thread?
i believe the last statement is contrast to the norcal preps allowance/violation of posts/ streak One? a post to create havoc to another poster?
Uncredible ?????? Truth Hurts

I don’t think that asking too much. They were already one of the top north bay teams this season. They still need to pass up Branson, Montgomery & Justin-Siena, but definitely doable.

I don’t think that asking too much. They were already one of the top north bay teams this season. They still need to pass up Branson, Montgomery & Justin-Siena, but definitely doable.
Montgomery huge fall off next year. Huge. This was there year.
Newman will be stronger than JS and not as good as Branson IMO. But who knows with transfer game.

3 straight d1 section crowns...it hurts
First off you said my info is uncredible when
all i do is spit facts.

To me no it doesn’t hurt you won 3 . .Because for the record there has only been. 1 and only 1 4peat SJS D1 champ. Guess who. . By the way that school also has most Nor cal open Ships.
Your right Truth hurts.

Justin-Siena will have to find a good coach to replace Nessman, who just stepped down to concentrate on being AD only. My guess, though, is he already has a shortlist, since he'll be making the hire as AD.

Oakland Tech is going to be really good next year. So is Riordan. And then you can’t count out De La Salle when Blair comes back. So that would be my top 3 going into next season……

But like others have said we gotta wait and see where transfers go. If I’m a sophomore or junior, now is the time to decide to team up with your buddies and still be eligible before game 1!

Oakland Tech is going to be really good next year. So is Riordan. And then you can’t count out De La Salle when Blair comes back. So that would be my top 3 going into next season……

But like others have said we gotta wait and see where transfers go. If I’m a sophomore or junior, now is the time to decide to team up with your buddies and still be eligible before game 1!
If they are really top 3, it’ll be interesting to see OT play in the Open Division against the big boys, as opposed to playing in NorCal D2. I hope they schedule accordingly.

if i’m Blair i’m shutting it down . why risk anything other than a MLB cotract

Top teams next season in Bay Area, in no particular order, will be Salesian, Riordan, SRV, DLS and Branson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT