ADVERTISEMENT

2018 SJS Playoff Brackets

Really like shrinking it down to 12 teams. Seems like the SJS did a pretty good job for the most part.

Couple of quick thoughts:

Potential Oak Ridge-Turlock quarterfinal in D1 could be a real good one.

D2 and D3 are wide open with those top 3 seeds. I would think it’s rare to have three 10-0 teams like D3 has but maybe it happens more than I realize.

D5 has a heavy PVL feel. Union Mine having to travel to Mountain House is quite a trip. Side note, MH has a really nice campus.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
Quick question about Central Catholic. I know why they got bumped up to D2 a year ago but are they always going to be D2 or if they keep losing in the playoffs do they get bumped back down to D3?

Quick question about Central Catholic. I know why they got bumped up to D2 a year ago but are they always going to be D2 or if they keep losing in the playoffs do they get bumped back down to D3?
Not exactly sure.....I think they have to have 3 seasons where they do not advance very far. Then they would bump back down 1 division at a time.

The rule is that the school gets bumped back to their enrollment division if they fail to make the playoffs in any year, or if they fail to make it to the semifinals two years in a row.

CC made it to the semifinals in 2017 and lost to DO. So the soonest they would move back down is 2020 - assuming they miss the semifinals the next two years.

Reactions: pantera-cat
I kinda wish Central and Del Oro were switched and CC was in the top bracket and DO in Inderkum’s half. But as it is, I’m intrigued with Grant v Inderkum in the Quarter Finals with the winner facing CC.

Inderkum has a special, well coached, disciplined group that can score and play great defense. Antelope was the only game they were off. I watched them put 59 on Roseville Friday in a hurry despite the Tigers Wing T beater they were running. I also witnessed them beating a 6-0 Woodcreek like a snare drum a few weeks back. They are relentless.

Reactions: s2h17 and feedback1
D3 is indeed wide open,there was speculation that Placer would be #1 seed....BUT I believe this is correct in that CC get the nod because of a stronger pre season and rightfully so.I guess there might be some rumblings coming from dn south from Merced but really to no substance where both Placer and Merced if they were to flop from 2-3 it only affects the competition for them at 1st round.My concern isn’t whether Placer gets #1 or CC does or Merced for that matter with all 3 having 10-0 seasons(and yes CC at #1 is correct)it’s the semi final game on that side in which if all goes as expected we will have a CC vs Antelope semi and we can all agree we do not want another unfortunate situation take place again.....here is praying it doesn’t and good football and decency as well as respect come to the front for all of us,our teams,our players and coaches.....in ALL divisions!Good luck,God bless and Go Placer(i’m a lil bit partisan....wink)P.S curious to hear TR’s take not only on possible CC vs Antelope semi but the D3 SJS playoff bracket.

Last edited:
My thoughts on the D-1 Bracket. Sheldon got disrespected on so many levels. The paring committee slipped a (mediocre) three loss Oak Ridge team and a (mediocre) four loss St. Mary's team ahead of a one loss Sheldon team. If I was Sheldon I'd be a little pissed for being disrespected like a second class citizen. It's not like Oak Ridge and St. Mary's set the streets on fire this year. They both were good high school teams in which a Sheldon program can beat on any given day. Last year Sheldon went into St. Mary's as a heavy underdog and damn near beat the Rams. Word on the streets is they would have beaten them had the QB not sustain a leg injury. That same St. Mary's team went into Oak Ridge house the very next week and kicked in their front door, drunk the last juice in the fridge, set on their couch with one leg on the table, told them to turn on the TV, stole their lunch money and let loose a wet fart as they left the premisses. Now one year later if that's not disrespecting Sheldon I don't know what is. I'll look into the other brackets now. Thoughts anyone????

Not sure I would call Oak Ridge mediocre. They have 2 bad losses and that was too a 9-1 DO team and 10-0 arguably the best HS team I've ever seen in SJS (Folsom). They lost in OT by 1 to GB that could have gone either way and otherwise would be 8-2. They just kicked the crap out of the 3rd place Delta league team (ELK GROVE 31-13. ). I was there and that game wasn't even close. I would say you have a gripe with St Mary's if anybody but let the talking be played on the field. Sheldon will get them in round 2.

OR has a pretty favorable bracket. They could very easily find themselves playing for the champ.

Reactions: feedback1
My thoughts on the D-2 Bracket. Grant got screw'd. Is it a fact Grant went into Granite Bay's house this year and beat them? So what sense does it make to seed GB higher than Grant in the postseason? Not just that but both teams have identical records at 5-5 and they both have 3-3 league records in which Grant placed higher than GB if it came down to a tie breaker. For this, Grant has a legit reason to have a chip on their shoulders. Thoughts????

Last edited:
You mean d2 right? Grant and GB are in D2. Honestly Grant should feel lucky they are in the playoffs with all the issues they've had. That Whitney game could have easily been a forfeit.

Not sure I would call Oak Ridge mediocre. They have 2 bad losses and that was too a 9-1 DO team and 10-0 arguably the best HS team I've ever seen in SJS (Folsom). They lost in OT by 1 to GB that could have gone either way and otherwise would be 8-2. They just kicked the crap out of the 3rd place Delta league team (ELK GROVE 31-13. ). I was there and that game wasn't even close. I would say you have a gripe with St Mary's if anybody but let the talking be played on the field. Sheldon will get them in round 2.

OR has a pretty favorable bracket. They could very easily find themselves playing for the champ.
Your argument stands on hollow grounds. OR has three bad losses and the one to Granite Bay is inexcusable which tells me your meaning of mediocre is off. Teams like DO, Placer, Central Catholic, Indy, Colfax, Monterey Trails are teams that are considered above mediocre this year. These teams didn't get kicked in their mouth by an underdog visiting team on their own turf. And beating EG on your own field this year isn't something to right home about. They lost every game on the road except for a close win against a 0-10 Pleasant Grove team. So once again, your argument doesn't hold water let alone any substance. OR is a mediocre program this year and if they say they're not their bar is low as well as their expectations.

Last edited:
You mean d2 right? Grant and GB are in D2. Honestly Grant should feel lucky they are in the playoffs with all the issues they've had. That Whitney game could have easily been a forfeit.
Yes, I meant D-2. Copy and paste from D-1 bracket and forgot to add the 2 and take out the 1. Thanks. That said, Grant may have issues with adjusting to a new league but there is no way on God's green earth should they be expelled from the post season play. That would be a farce and lead to an uproar that you would regret. You should slow down your brain amperage before you type such a thoughtless post. Seriously.

The rule is that the school gets bumped back to their enrollment division if they fail to make the playoffs in any year, or if they fail to make it to the semifinals two years in a row.

CC made it to the semifinals in 2017 and lost to DO. So the soonest they would move back down is 2020 - assuming they miss the semifinals the next two years.
Feedback1,from what I have heard from my Oakdale friends CC this yr is very strong,if this is the case and they obviously know because the Stangs play CC in the VOL if the Raiders are that strong and win the D2 or if they get there and lose the D2 championship they would stay in D2,and i’m assuming beyond 2020.I don’t really know how that would play out just sharing what some friends told me.

My thoughts on the D-2 Bracket. Grant got screw'd. Is it a fact Grant went into Granite Bay's house this year and beat them? So what sense does it make to sense does it makes to seed GB higher than Grant in the post season? Not just that but both teams have identical records at 5-5 and they both have 3-3 league records in which Grant placed higher than GB if came down to tie breaker. For this, Grant has a legit reason to have a chip on their shoulders. Thoughts????
FJ101,you know what i’m waiting on,lol(wink)........D3!

My thoughts on the D-3 Bracket. Manteca- is definitely my darkhorse but I won't go as far to say they're in the top four in this Division. Would I be shocked if they upset Antelope in the second round of play, no. The Buffs didn't get any respect from the pairing committee. With their (7-3) record and playing section power Central Catholic within a score they should have been granted the 4th seed in my opinion. So basically, the game between them and Antelope should be played in Manteca not Antelope. Other than this I see the pairings being pretty accurate.

Capital Christian- is definitely the favorite team in this Division but I wouldn't be surprised if a team upset them in the championship game at a neutral site. I believe the winner of the Placer/Merced game will give CC all they can handle and more.

Merced- will be a tough out in the later rounds and if they get past the semi-finals I wouldn't be surprised if they win the championship game. The game in Placer will let us no if the Bears from Merced are for real or fake news.

Placer- It will be hard to bet against this 2017 State runner-up Hillmen team. With most everyone coming back they actually should be the #1 seed if you ask me. I think the pairing committee got this wrong. They should have been granted the #1 seed out of respect for what they've accomplished the past two seasons. Just my take. At the end of the day I have the Hillmen winning a back to back SJS championship. Now let the games begin. Thoughts????

My thoughts on the D-3 Bracket. Manteca- is definitely my darkhorse but I won't go as far to say they're in the top four in this Division. Would I be shocked if they upset Antelope in the second round of play, no. The Buffs didn't get any respect from the pairing committee. With their (7-3) record and playing section power Central Catholic within a score they should have been granted the 4th seed in my opinion. So basically, the game between them and Antelope should be played in Manteca not Antelope. Other than this I see the pairings being pretty accurate.

Capital Christian- is definitely the favorite team in this Division but I wouldn't be surprised if a team upset them in the championship game at a neutral site. I believe the winner of the Placer/Merced game will give CC all they can handle and more.

Merced- will be a tough out in the later rounds and if they get past the semi-finals I wouldn't be surprised if they win the championship game. The game in Placer will let us no if the Bears from Merced are for real or fake news.

Placer- It will be hard to bet against this 2017 State runner-up Hillmen team. With most everyone coming back they actually should be the #1 seed if you ask me. I think the pairing committee got this wrong. They should have been granted the #1 seed out of respect for what they've accomplished the past two seasons. Just my take. At the end of the day I have the Hillmen winning a back to back SJS championship. Now let the games begin. Thoughts????
Ty FJ101,Nice to get others views and thoughts.....well done.I need not say anymore as our boys are in this D3 playoffs,and a very good one it is.Best of luck to all teams may everyone be injury free and God Bless.Let the fun begin.

Hoe should we be lucky? Did you watch the film? Did you read the article? Grant didn’t start that fight!! Parents didn’t rush the field to fight they rushed the field to get their kids and made sure they weren’t part of it, but of course grant will look like the bad guy I’m not sure how many grant kids got suspended but they definitely will have a shorter roster for Downey. If #55 is done for the year we won’t have a chance at stopping inderkums wing T if we do advance. Any other year I’d like grant chances vs any wing T team but having no size hurts us big time on how AL likes to defend it. Offensively I don’t think we are creative enough to really scare any teams with decent athletes a cover 3 could stop almost all of our passing plays. Big picture takeaway A lost to inderkum might shake up things at grant. It was always if you can’t get in at grant go to inderkum, if you’re worried about your kids safety in Dph go to inderkum.

I thought Vacaville wud be in DIII...thoughts anyone?

Quoted from Vacaville's FB page:
"Vacaville is one of 7 programs in the Division 2 bracket (designated by the section) which fall into the "Continued Success" category (which include Vacaville, Grant, Whitney, Elk Grove, Del Oro, St. Mary's & Central Catholic). All these teams are previous section and/or state champions/finalists."
Other than winning Section in 2011 and 1 quarter final game appearance I can't remember much success past the first round. Including 1 year with not making the playoffs.

At the section meeting in August it was deemed that Vacaville football and a few others (Grant, Whitney, Elk Grove) should not drop lower than D2.

This was due to the unlikely event that several D3 size schools win their D2 leagues and bump up. Kind of like what happened in D3...Merced, Cap Christian and Placer are all D4 size schools but won their D3 league. This forced them up and slid a few schools from the D3 column into D4 bracket (Wood, Cordova, Golden Valley)

Pioneer stole El Dorado’s spot. If I’m ED I’m PISSED

I think it has to do with the fact that Pioneer was D4 school that benefited with the top 3 teams in D4 moving up to D3. It created a vacuum and they ended up making it by default as they were the only team left that had 4 wins. Once the 3 teams that got pushed down to D4 (Wood, Cordova and Golden Valley) moved into the bracket, it pushed Pioneer down to D5 and pushed ED out.

Definite flaw in the system in this case. 3 of Pioneer's 4 wins came against teams that were a combined (1-28). Nice SOS...

Feedback1,from what I have heard from my Oakdale friends CC this yr is very strong,if this is the case and they obviously know because the Stangs play CC in the VOL if the Raiders are that strong and win the D2 or if they get there and lose the D2 championship they would stay in D2,and i’m assuming beyond 2020.I don’t really know how that would play out just sharing what some friends told me.
I think the rule for Central Catholic is if they don't make the second round 2 consecutive years in D2 or miss playoffs for one year?

SOS for D1/D2/D3 brackets, D2 being strongest bracket by slim margin:

D2 = 32.9
D1 = 31.25
D3 = 26.2

D1 SOS 31.25
Folsom 69.4
Edison 22.7
Gregori 15.5
Sheldon 36.4
modesto 6.2
st marys 37.1
oak ridge 43.9
turlock 35.3
cosumnes oaks 13
pitman 25.9
davis 19.4
monterey trail 50.2

D2 SOS 32.9
del oro 53.6
tracy 25.7
Lincoln 25.2
jesuit 33.9
woodcreek 22.1
granite bay 36.4
inderkum 49.1
grant 32.3
downey 22.9
vacaville 26.7
elk grove 25.3
central catholic 41.8

D3 SOS 26.2
cap christian 41.1
buhach colony 22.4
ponderosa 20.9
manteca 23.5
burbank 15.2
antelope 30.3
merced 39.3
sacramento 25.4
river valley 17.2
yuba city 24.6
christian brothers 11
placer 43.5

So Central Catholic had the weakest strength of schedule even though they had DSL on the schedule? Imagine if they didn't. Placer too? Wow. I would have thought Joey Montoya was Vince Lombardi they way he gets talked about. Seems like they didn't beat anyone....

Sheldon got disrespected on so many levels.
Looks like Sheldon asked for the #5 seed?!?! Just read this on BlackHatFootball. Didn't know teams could do this.

2my6hoh.jpg

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
What about Woodland? Identical record, beat them Head to head and beat all common opponents by a larger margin...

Woodland was in D5 by enrollment and was ranked 14th behind El Dorado in D5. Keep in mind Pioneer qualified for the playoffs in D4, but was then bumped down into D5.

Looks like Sheldon asked for the #5 seed?!?! Just read this on BlackHatFootball. Didn't know teams could do this.

2my6hoh.jpg
Wow! If true you would think Sheldon would take the week and rest their soreness and injuries and not take a chance on sustaining any injuries. That said, I'm sure the coach knows what's best for his team. I guess Sheldon will treat Modesto like a practice or scrimmage.

I had an idea that could be kinda fun if enough people are down for it. I know you guys do a weekly pick 'em but what about doing a playoff bracket, NCAA style? There are several different ways to do it depending upon what type of audience we have for it. We could pick all 7 SJS brackets and the most games picked correctly wins. Or it could be a combination of Open, D1, D2, etc for the SJS, NCS, CCS and NS. However deep we wanted to go. Or perhaps randomly draw 4-5 brackets from all of the available sections and use those.

IDK, just a thought. Who runs the weekly pick 'em? Is it Streak?

Reactions: championcif75
2my6hoh.jpg

Haha. They can't. The section does not take requests when creating the brackets. Regardless of which way a team wants to move.

Woodland was in D5 by enrollment and was ranked 14th behind El Dorado in D5. Keep in mind Pioneer qualified for the playoffs in D4, but was then bumped down into D5.

This is not the way it works. Teams are placed in (initial) divisions by enrollment. Then the section applies changes - such as prior success, minimum division, league champions, etc. The resulting division assignments are finalized. THEN teams qualify for playoffs by Calpreps rankings (with 4 wins required). There is no such thing as qualifying in one division, then being moved to another division.

I had an idea that could be kinda fun if enough people are down for it. I know you guys do a weekly pick 'em but what about doing a playoff bracket, NCAA style? There are several different ways to do it depending upon what type of audience we have for it. We could pick all 7 SJS brackets and the most games picked correctly wins. Or it could be a combination of Open, D1, D2, etc for the SJS, NCS, CCS and NS. However deep we wanted to go. Or perhaps randomly draw 4-5 brackets from all of the available sections and use those.

IDK, just a thought. Who runs the weekly pick 'em? Is it Streak?

Let’s do it. I’ll set up threads for the SJS, NCS and NS tonight

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT