ADVERTISEMENT

Seeding process?

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Aside from the ludicrous assumption that a committee that covers the whole state could seed 28 brackets, boys and girls, with 200 or so teams, in seven hours, the CIF needs to reconsider their process.

If you look at the girls' D1 bracket, you see that the seven CCS teams were "seeded" so that they did not play each other in the first round, and it appears that the bracket was set so that if the seeds held, the top CCS teams would not meet in the second round. This decision made making a bracket even more difficult than it already is.

In an ideal world, the brackets would be determined by "true seeding," and if two schools from the same league played in the first round, so be it.

Obviously that was not the case, and I think the idea that the CCS teams had to be separated led to the weird seeding decisions. (Still no justification for McClatchy being 16, though ...)

On top of that, the CCS teams did not perform well. In the Los Gatos-Carondelet game, it did not appear Los Gatos was expecting Carondelet to press, but even if they had, the difference in strength and athleticism was apparent -- and Carondelet is not a particularly strong or athletic team compared to some other top teams.

In other brackets, CCS teams were upset as well, but I could be wrong about the section's overall performance. Regardless, true seeding would have helped, perhaps, in avoiding these early-round issues and creating a more competitive bracket.

I understand that no one wants to go to NorCals and play a team five miles down the road, but then again, no one wants to get blown out just to avoid a local-local game.

Los Gatos, St Francis, Monta Vista, Evergreen, Christopher, Half Moon Bay, Shasta, and Menlo lost last night. SHC, SI, Riordan, Mills, Branham, Notre Dame, Valley Christian and Crystal Springs all won. So CCS went 8-8. Not a bad showing for the CCS schools.

Last edited:
And SHC was underseeded. Carondelet will have its hands more than full Thursday.

Again... where/when can I talk to Cruikshank?

I will be an advocate for the NCS...put me in as the NCS rep in the seeding D1-3...I watch as many girls game as anybody and have an idea...

Get somebody from up north to be the NCS rep for D4-6.

I want to plead my case!

*there's no way I'd let some of this shi* happen...so blatantly wrong

Clay you know the high school basketball scene as well anyone and I respect your opinion. Your comments regarding seedings and transfers are negative and basically saying there is no fix for either. You're always pointing out why it won't work versus how it could work, as well as, if you know what won't work you should be able to come up with solid options even for trail (it can get better). It may never be perfect but let's focus on change and there is no reason for making a long term commitment to a new idea. Can you please focus and spend the same energy on what will work!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT