ADVERTISEMENT

2018 SJS Playoff Brackets

This is not the way it works. Teams are placed in (initial) divisions by enrollment. Then the section applies changes - such as prior success, minimum division, league champions, etc. The resulting division assignments are finalized. THEN teams qualify for playoffs by Calpreps rankings (with 4 wins required). There is no such thing as qualifying in one division, then being moved to another division.

Correct. Teams are placed in initial divisions by enrollment.

Pioneer was listed in D4 in the initial division by enrollment. They were the 4th smallest enrollment ahead of Sierra, Placer and Cap Christian among the playoff qualifiers. Only 12 teams total reached the required 4 wins in D4 so they all qualified, with Pioneer being included.

By virtue of Winning D3 leagues, Placer and CC were moved up to D3, leaving Pioneer as the second smallest enrollment ahead of Sierra.

Sierra was deemed as being able to go no lower the D4 at the beginning of the year (continued success). Which made Pioneer as the next smallest school move down to D5, when D5 by enrollment Casa Roble, won a D4 league and was placed in D4.

That's what happened.

Woodland was in D5 by enrollment and was ranked 14th behind El Dorado in D5. Keep in mind Pioneer qualified for the playoffs in D4, but was then bumped down into D5.

Correct.
That's what happened.

My point was that your initial assertion that Pioneer qualified in one division then was moved to a lower division is not correct. Teams are qualified for the playoffs only AFTER division assignments are determined. Same thing happened to Jesuit. It does not matter where the team WOULD HAVE QUALIFIED (or not) if they stayed in their enrollment-based division. The post was mis-leading, making it sound like some type of anomaly happened.

Teams are qualified for the playoffs only AFTER division assignments are determined.

Anyone else care to chime in? I don't think that's correct. The only way to explain how they got in is they qualified in D4 and them moved down.

But if you are correct, then it is an anomaly, because no where does Pioneer beat ED or Woodland in terms of record, rating or SOS. Especially Woodland as they tore Pioneer up last week.

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/fo...xbpGsHviZg/sac-joaquin-section/division-v.htm

Last edited:
I re-read the section playoff guide. You might be right. I will look at this later tonight in more detail and re-post.

So Central Catholic had the weakest strength of schedule even though they had DSL on the schedule? Imagine if they didn't. Placer too? Wow. I would have thought Joey Montoya was Vince Lombardi they way he gets talked about. Seems like they didn't beat anyone....

I have to disagree about Central Catholic having the weakest schedule. Clovis West is a great football team and in a very tough league. CC is in the VOL which is know to be one of the toughest D3 leagues in Northern California. Oakdale is on a down year which happens about every 4 years. CC blew out Oakdale on an Oakdale down year, still, CC is going to win the D2 section title. They did a great job recruiting or whatever you want to call it this year. Their QB came from Ceres. He knew he would never win a title with them so he transferred to CC. Smart move because they are going to be D2 Secrtion Champions. Del Oro does NOT have a chance in my opinion.... I do agree with you as far as Placer goes. They have not played anyone. They will be challenges in D3. Merced, Cap Christian, Manteca could all give them a run for their money. Going to be fun to watch D3 playoffs.

I have to disagree about Central Catholic having the weakest schedule. Clovis West is a great football team and in a very tough league. CC is in the VOL which is know to be one of the toughest D3 leagues in Northern California. Oakdale is on a down year which happens about every 4 years. CC blew out Oakdale on an Oakdale down year, still, CC is going to win the D2 section title. They did a great job recruiting or whatever you want to call it this year. Their QB came from Ceres. He knew he would never win a title with them so he transferred to CC. Smart move because they are going to be D2 Secrtion Champions. Del Oro does NOT have a chance in my opinion.... I do agree with you as far as Placer goes. They have not played anyone. They will be challenges in D3. Merced, Cap Christian, Manteca could all give them a run for their money. Going to be fun to watch D3 playoffs.

I was replying to the post before me and assumed the statement was accurate. The poster then corrected himself. Nonetheless, CC will not win D2. They may have to play the likes of Inderkum. I don’t see anyone on their schedule, including the 1-9 Clovis West, that has the speed or the offensive prowess of Indy. The equalizer is playing at CC on grass. Only shot they got.

I was replying to the post before me and assumed the statement was accurate. The poster then corrected himself. Nonetheless, CC will not win D2. They may have to play the likes of Inderkum. I don’t see anyone on their schedule, including the 1-9 Clovis West, that has the speed or the offensive prowess of Indy. The equalizer is playing at CC on grass. Only shot they got.

I'm not a CC fan by any means. D2 is a rough playoff bracket with a lot of talent. With that said, I still believe CC will take this one. CC always has great teams year after year but this one is different. No matter what, it's going to be fun watching these teams compete.

This was a bad night. We let ourselves down, our families down and our community tonight, plain and simple,” said Mustangs head coach Trent Merzon. “We couldn’t get anything going tonight and they (Central Catholic) made all the big plays.”..... This is out of Oakdale leader. And Trent would be right, our community was let down. But, it was Oakdale's down year which only happens about once every 4 years and it happened to be One of CC's biggest year of recruiting the best of the best.

Correct. Teams are placed in initial divisions by enrollment.

Pioneer was listed in D4 in the initial division by enrollment. They were the 4th smallest enrollment ahead of Sierra, Placer and Cap Christian among the playoff qualifiers. Only 12 teams total reached the required 4 wins in D4 so they all qualified, with Pioneer being included.

By virtue of Winning D3 leagues, Placer and CC were moved up to D3, leaving Pioneer as the second smallest enrollment ahead of Sierra.

Sierra was deemed as being able to go no lower the D4 at the beginning of the year (continued success). Which made Pioneer as the next smallest school move down to D5, when D5 by enrollment Casa Roble, won a D4 league and was placed in D4.

That's what happened.
Are you sure about the continued success rule. They are a forth place team in the VOL. Could it be the VOL is rated as a D3-D4 league? Which is interesting because if you look at enrollment all the schools are generally D4 by enrollment. Or is it because of continued success for the whole league? Does the 35 section championships count too?

He knew he would never win a title with them so he transferred to CC. Smart move because they are going to be D2 Secrtion Champions. Del Oro does NOT have a chance in my opinion
Nonetheless, CC will not win D2. They may have to play the likes of Inderkum. I don’t see anyone on their schedule, including the 1-9 Clovis West, that has the speed or the offensive prowess of Indy. The equalizer is playing at CC on grass. Only shot they got.

I find these comments curious, as Del Oro has beaten Indy handily in the postseason the past 2 years and also did the same to CC last year. Different season, different teams -- I get it. And I like CC a whole lot more this season than last year. But I also have learned not to underestimate Del Oro come playoff time. Just when you believe they aren't all that good, they seem to rise up. I don't know how they seem to do it, but they do.

Take 2015 as a prime example. They were 2-6 -- then won their last 2 league games to get into the postseason then ran the table. That included flipping the script on a Rocklin team that had beaten them by 25 points 8 weeks earlier. Ok, so they don't have Casey Taylor anymore. But they kinda did the same thing last year under Walters to get into the title game.

And while CC is really good and better that 2017 -- so is Del Oro. The way the teams are playing currently, I'd take CC to beat them. But I don't see how it's a forgone conclusion.

As for Indy, I'll be rooting for them per usual. But it'll be a tall task against those teams. I'd love to see them pull it off though.

I find these comments curious, as Del Oro has beaten Indy handily in the postseason the past 2 years and also did the same to CC last year. Different season, different teams -- I get it. And I like CC a whole lot more this season than last year. But I also have learned not to underestimate Del Oro come playoff time. Just when you believe they aren't all that good, they seem to rise up. I don't know how they seem to do it, but they do.

Take 2015 as a prime example. They were 2-6 -- then won their last 2 league games to get into the postseason then ran the table. That included flipping the script on a Rocklin team that had beaten them by 25 points 8 weeks earlier. Ok, so they don't have Casey Taylor anymore. But they kinda did the same thing last year under Walters to get into the title game.

And while CC is really good and better that 2017 -- so is Del Oro. The way the teams are playing currently, I'd take CC to beat them. But I don't see how it's a forgone conclusion.

As for Indy, I'll be rooting for them per usual. But it'll be a tall task against those teams. I'd love to see them pull it off though.

The past few season's, Del Oro's developed alot of confidence come SJS Section playoff time. I think the #1 seed, the bracket,and the bye will work in their favor, with the boys earning another section championship for the school and a big bling ring for the rest of their lives. Folsom as expected came into their house and smashed them. The boys will reset and go after next goal of practicing on Thanksgiving, win an SJS banner, get to Norcal Regional, then State D2 game, and possibly a State champ. The team's loaded with senior 1st team all SFL guys, add the 1st team all SFL juniors, the boys and staff are prepped for a run. They get their kicker back from a bad groin just in time to kick vs a likely Lincoln Zebra squad (ironic matchup if it goes down).

The past few season's, Del Oro's developed alot of confidence come SJS Section playoff time. I think the #1 seed, the bracket,and the bye will work in their favor, with the boys earning another section championship for the school and a big bling ring for the rest of their lives. Folsom as expected came into their house and smashed them. The boys will reset and go after next goal of practicing on Thanksgiving, win an SJS banner, get to Norcal Regional, then State D2 game, and possibly a State champ. The team's loaded with senior 1st team all SFL guys, add the 1st team all SFL juniors, the boys and staff are prepped for a run. They get their kicker back from a bad groin just in time to kick vs a likely Lincoln Zebra squad (ironic matchup if it goes down).
Lincoln lost you get Tracey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT