ADVERTISEMENT

2019: What interests or intrigues you the most?

ThunderRam

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2009
We're less than a week away from the start of another prep football season! I think we all agree that this time of year is one of the best of the sports world. After all that's why we're among the few that frequent a HS football message board. It's like freaking christmas for us!!!

I posted a similar thread just prior to last season so I thought I'd start a similar thread for this season.

So without further adieu, please feel free to share the topics, story lines or unanswered questions you are looking forward to most this season. I'll post some of mine in a bit.

I’m interested to see how De La Salle stacks up against St. Thomas Aquinas. STA is on the same level as MD and SJB, two teams DLS has struggled against recently.

I’m also interested to see how Folsom looks with a new coaching staff. Despite graduating the older Ngata, they still have an incredible amount of talent.

Lastly, I’m interested to see how Jesuit looks after graduating their two most highly recruited players ever in Latu and Rutherford.

I’m interested to see how De La Salle stacks up against St. Thomas Aquinas. STA is on the same level as MD and SJB, two teams DLS has struggled against recently.

Is STA really on the same level as MD and SJB in terms of transfers and overall talent, or just national ranking? That’s a pretty high bar.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I like seeing what "new" teams can break through for league championship and/or section championships.

For example, Liberty two years go, Capital Christian and Wilcox breaking through last year.

I think the new quarterbacks in the SJS will be great to watch in the first month of the season

Is STA really on the same level as MD and SJB in terms of transfers and overall talent, or just national ranking? That’s a pretty high bar.

Honestly, as far as depth of talent STA still probably has had more overall than MD and SJB even the last couple years. They may not have had as much high end talent, especially at important positions like QB though. Overall though STA is as talented as any.

STA does get some transfers, but nothing like what's been going on in Socal as far as elite kids moving 100+ miles to play there. The transfers they do get are from nearby public schools.

file.png

DLS can definitely win though. STA is the type of team that can beat SJB one game and lose to teams like Venice (FL) and Centennial (AZ) the next.
If Venice can beat STA, so can DLS. Especially at home. Contrary to what 247 says DLS has some very good players. That Shamar Garrett kid can run.

Anyways, I guess will see which STA team shows up. Might be Jekyll, might be Hyde.

Last edited:
Honestly, as far as depth of talent STA still probably has had more overall than MD and SJB even the last couple years. They may not have had as much high end talent, especially at important positions like QB though. Overall though STA is as talented as any.

STA does get some transfers, but nothing like what's been going on in Socal as far as elite kids moving 100+ miles to play there. The transfers they do get are from nearby public schools.

Nice seeing ya here, gator. For about 2 seconds, I thought I was on PG's board. ;)

I'm thinking we're gonna see a phenomenal game between STA and DLS. Let's hope so anyway.

Reactions: 954gator
I like seeing what "new" teams can break through for league championship and/or section championships.

For example, Liberty two years go, Capital Christian and Wilcox breaking through last year.

I know they didn't win section, but Monterey Trail was a nice surprise last season. They're touted to be pretty good again this season too.

Here's some story lines I'm interested in 2019:

• Sheldon Huskies: How will they rebound from Coach C's departure? They went 27-9 during his tenure and 15-36 the 5 seasons beforehand.

• Folsom Bulldogs: Can the machine continue to roll on with essentially a brand new coaching staff? When Coach Alumbaugh took over at DLS, legendary coaches Ladouceur and Eidson remained on staff and are still there to this day.

However, the architects of Folsom's program, Troy Taylor and Kris Richardson, are now at Sac State. The talent is still there, but will the program continue to dominate this season and beyond?

• Del Oro Golden Eagles: Year 3 for Jeff Walters and staff. They won section via a controversial run through the D2 bracket -- which included two byes -- then had to vacate that title in January due to the participation of an ineligible athlete.

Will they be ultra motivated to prove themselves again and take down Folsom for the 1st time since 2009 in the process?

• Rocklin Thunder: Greg Benzel stepped down at the end of last season after a long 19 season run. Long time DC Jason Adams takes over what has been a very respectable SFL program.

Will he be able to revive the Thunder program that won league and section just 10 years ago? While I've not seen the Thunder in action to this point, I've heard from a few that this team may surprise in 2019.

• Capital Christian Cougars: It came as no surprise to me that CC took a giant leap forward during Casey Taylor's 2nd season on the job. They won the CAL and D3 titles, coming up just short in the D3 NorCal Championship game against Wilcox. Might the outcome have been different had CC played the contest at home, as they were originally supposed to?

Coach Taylor usually runs a very disciplined program and it'll be interesting to see if he can get his kids to take the next step. Per usual, CT has some stiff tests lined up for his team in both Vista Murrieta of the Southern Section and Nat'l Power Chandler-AZ.

• Grant Union Pacers: First and foremost, this might be a benchmark season for longtime coach Mike Alberghini. By my record keeping he's won 275 games as the HC of the Pacers and is quickly closing in on the section record of 280 set by Mark Loureiro of Escalon, who retired at the end of the 2017 season.

GHS comes off a disappointing 5-6 season, going 3-3 in the toughest league in the SJS and possibly all of NorCal. They've got early season tests against Central of Fresno and WA State power Eastside Catholic. Will it be enough to prepare them for their 2nd season in the SFL??

• Roseville Tigers: After an issue with a student last Spring, longtime HC Larry Cunha's future looks to be in serious doubt and former Sheldon coach Joe Cattolico has agreed to take over in the interim. Will Coach C be able to put his famous imprint on this current team? They've got some nice talent, including a D1 prospect in TE Tommy Spencer.

If Coach Cat stays at Roseville long, it seems a no brainer that the program will rise. Word around the water cooler is that the coach might be looking at an opening at a yet to be opened new school. Regardless, this upcoming season at Roseville will be one to pay attention to.

Here's some additional statistical benchmarks to keep an eye on:
  • Mike Alberghini has 275 wins at Grant Union and might become the SJS's all-time leader by season's end (280; Mark Loureiro).
  • Roger Canepa has 244 wins at Sonora, Calaveras, and Central Catholic and is within reach of 250 this season.
  • Terry Logue has 240 wins at Paradise and Bear River and is within reach of 250 this season.
  • Trent Merzon has 197 wins at Oakdale and should top 200 early this season.
  • Vic Galli has 144 wins at Pittsburg and is within reach of 150 this season.
  • Joey Montoya has 136 wins at Pioneer and Placer; with a perfect season could reach 150 this season.

• De La Salle (est.1972) has 491 wins in program history and will likely hit 500 before the playoffs begin.
  • Del Oro (est.1960) has 447 wins and might reach 450 by October.
  • Colfax (est.1960) and El Camino (est.1952) are closing in on 350 wins.
  • Oak Ridge (est.1982) has 298 wins and may reach 300 by September.
  • Bear River (est.1986) and Highlands (est.1958) are within reach of 250 wins.
  • River City (est.1978) has 197 wins and is within reach of 200.
  • Inderkum (est.2005) has 148 wins and will likely top 150 prior to October.
  • Rocklin (est.1995) has 139 wins and would need a stellar 11+ win season to reach 150.

**NOTE: the EST dates above represent the 1st season of Varsity football for the program, not the year the school opened -- which is typically 1-2 years earlier.

Last edited:
I know they didn't win section, but Monterey Trail was a nice surprise last season. They're touted to be pretty good again this season too.

I would agree on that. First section final in 9 years if my timeline is right.

They are one of the teams not in our preseason Top 20 I’m tracking pretty closely.

I'm highly interested in all of the out of conference games in week 1. Can't wait to see how the SJS powers fair against the opposing section powers in the first few weeks of the season. Also, have to give DLS a ton of respect for bringing next level talent and program into Cali. I can only hope they reach out to a "GEORGIA POWER" one day.

Here's what I'm looking forward to this season:
1. Clayton Valley Charter and Campolindo in same NCS playoff division despite Clayton Valley being kicked out of the DAL.
2. De La Salle vs. STA and Folsom
3. Las Lomas' and Liberty's uprising
4. Campolindo's games vs. 3-time defending state champion McClymonds 9/13, vs. D3 power Rancho Cotate 9/27, and @ league rival Las Lomas 10/25
5. Can DLS finally win a state title after 4 years?
6. Will Cardinal Newman win NCS and get to a state title game after the events of the past two years (North Bay fires and coin flip)?
7. Will San Leandro or Vintage shock Clayton Valley in the NCS D2 playoffs?
8. Can Acalanes contend for the NCS D4 title?
9. Can Miramonte contend for the NCS D5 title?
10. Will Valley Christian win a state title this year?
11. Will McClymonds tie the state record for consecutive state championships in the modern era and become the first public school to win four consecutive state titles?
11. Campolindo head coach Kevin Macy has won 199 games during his tenure with the Cougars (1996-present) and may certainly win his 200th in the first game of the season.
12. Which school will surprise everyone this season?

1. Clayton Valley Charter and Campolindo in same NCS playoff division despite Clayton Valley being kicked out of the DAL.
4. Campolindo's games vs. 3-time defending state champion McClymonds 9/13, vs. D3 power Rancho Cotate 9/27, and @ league rival Las Lomas 10/25
6. Will Cardinal Newman win NCS and get to a state title game after the events of the past two years (North Bay fires and coin flip)?
11. Will McClymonds tie the state record for consecutive state championships in the modern era and become the first public school to win four consecutive state titles?
11. Campolindo head coach Kevin Macy has won 199 games during his tenure with the Cougars (1996-present) and may certainly win his 200th in the first game of the season.

Great list. The McClymonds point is an especially good call out IMO.

Coach Peters has done a phenomenal job since taking over in 2013. 72-9 record. And if not for the close, heartbreaking loss to Central Catholic, they might have won another State title his first season.

Considering how long he was an assistant and the fact that Mack lacks the resources many other programs have, it's an amazing feel good story.

Last edited:
Can’t wait to see this year’s Pitt at Liberty game. Pitt probably feels they should have won last year and let one get away. Liberty looking to build on last years great season and show it was no fluke.Pitt lost a lot of talent from last years squad, will be interesting to see how they look this year. I expect them to start slowly out of the gate, but they may have jelled by the time this game rolls around

Interested in who emerges in SJS D1 besides Folsom and if anyone can figure out the Spartans of DLS.

1. I am curios to see how the new CCS playoff Format shakes out. Especially for those 7/8 seed and 1/2 seeds in the 1-4 divisions. That could mean a trip to the state bowl game. Also the DI bracket will be fun to watch

2. Like Most, how DLS fairs on the local, state and national?

3. After shutting the program for a year, how will Healdsburg bounce back?

4. Will RLS challenge for the PCAL Santa Lucia Crown? Anything can happen in a "C" league...

I am interested to see how Nevada Union fares this year after dumping the Wing T and moving to a Spread offense.

Interested in who emerges in SJS D1 besides Folsom and if anyone can figure out the Spartans of DLS.

Sac Joaquin section hasn't released the enrollment sheet like they had last year that showed who was going what division. I saw on Twitter someone had said Inderkum might be D1 this year. Not sure if they increased enrollment from last year or this person just doesn't know what they are talking about. Anyone know if/when that sheet will come out?

1. Interested how the Riordan football team develops under new Coach Mark Modeste and looking forward to seeing the new field.
  2. How the new CCS Playoff format plays out.
  3. Any surprise teams that make a run at NorCals and State.

Reactions: Santa Ball
Sac Joaquin section hasn't released the enrollment sheet like they had last year that showed who was going what division. I saw on Twitter someone had said Inderkum might be D1 this year. Not sure if they increased enrollment from last year or this person just doesn't know what they are talking about. Anyone know if/when that sheet will come out?
Inderkum and Del Oro were both moved to D1 according to CalPreps. So was Lincoln of Stockton. It looks like Pitman, Lodi, and St. Mary's moved down.

I have not seen the enrollment numbers yet. I'm curious to see who the smaller schools are in D1 since the Delta has a decent chance of being won by a D2 school (Elk Grove or Jesuit), as does the TCAL (St. Mary's or Tracy).

Stagg and Roseville dropped out of D2, but they were not replaced by D3 teams. D2 was 24 teams at the end of last season. It is only 22 now.

http://calpreps.com/2019/ratings/Sac-Joaquin_division.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: John Mellencamp
Inderkum was at 2332 as of a few days ago. We are growing by the minute. :)

Inderkum and Del Oro were both moved to D1 according to CalPreps. So was Lincoln of Stockton. It looks like Pitman, Lodi, and St. Mary's moved down.

I have not seen the enrollment numbers yet. I'm curious to see who the smaller schools are in D1 since the Delta has a decent chance of being won by a D2 school (Elk Grove or Jesuit), as does the TCAL (St. Mary's or Tracy).

Stagg and Roseville dropped out of D2, but they were not replaced by D3 teams. D2 was 24 teams at the end of last season. It is only 22 now.

http://calpreps.com/2019/ratings/Sac-Joaquin_division.htm
========================================================
St. Mary's-Stockton is part of the TCAL (Tri-City League), which is considered a SJS D1 league for football. The TCAL league champion is forced to participate in SJS D1 division playoffs, no matter the enrollment size. St. Mary's, unless some major upsets in league play, is all but guaranteed to win league "again" and, as a result, will be forced to participate in SJS D1 for playoffs (not SJS D2), "again". Should St. Mary's lose league, I believe they may still be asked to participate in D1 due to recent playoff success (champions in 2016 and runner-ups in 2017) at the D1 level. Tracy, which is forecasted by many to place 2nd in TCAL league, may opt again for D2 for the playoffs like last year.

Lincoln-Stockton has always been D1 (always has a large enrollment), last qualifying for the playoffs (D1) in 2017. Lincoln-Stockton is anticipated to place 3rd in TCAL. Should they qualify for the playoffs in 2019 based on a decent W-L record, they will remain in SJS D1 for the playoffs.

Reactions: Santa Ball
Right. Any team that wins a D1 league has to play at D1. Any team that wins a D2 league has to play at D2 or higher, and so on down the line. However, if that D1 winner is D2 (Like St. Mary's or Tracy), they will push the smallest D1 playoff team down UNLESS that team won a D1 league. Then it would go to the next smallest. That's the fun part.

Chances are that at least one D2 team will win a D1 league like the TCAL or Delta. It's hard to see a D2 team winning the SFL.

I'm showing my bias here, though. Being an MT fan, I tend to only pay attention to the action in the larger enrollment leagues.

Right. Any team that wins a D1 league has to play at D1. Any team that wins a D2 league has to play at D2 or higher, and so on down the line. However, if that D1 winner is D2 (Like St. Mary's or Tracy), they will push the smallest D1 playoff team down UNLESS that team won a D1 league. Then it would go to the next smallest. That's the fun part.

Chances are that at least one D2 team will win a D1 league like the TCAL or Delta. It's hard to see a D2 team winning the SFL.

I'm showing my bias here, though. Being an MT fan, I tend to only pay attention to the action in the larger enrollment leagues.
====================================
The Rams "will be" an automatic-bid winning league. Count on it! Again, should a major upset take place this season and the Rams do NOT win league but still qualify for the playoffs, they will "still" be asked to play in D1 for playoffs due to the "Continued Success" rule, as the Rams have appeared in the semi-finals the last 2 seasons.

Here is the excerpt from the CIFSJS Constitution and Bylaws (Bylaw 2007.11) regarding Division Placement:

Divisional Placement
  • 1. Divisions. The qualifying teams will be placed in divisions in order of enrollment size. However, schools may not play more than one division below their league placement in realignment. If a school’s enrollment places them in a division that is two or more divisions below its league placement in realignment, that school will be moved up at least one division for playoffs.
  • 2. Section Champion From Previous Year. If a school wins a Section championship at a particular level, that school must play at or above that level the following year.
  • 3. League Champions. If a team wins a league championship (outright, or is the No. 1 seed by criteria), that team must play at or above the level of its league competition. For instance, if a school wins a championship in a D3 league but is D4 by enrollment, they would be forced to play D3 in that year’s playoffs.
  • 4. Three in a Row. Schools that win three championships in a row will be moved up one division. If that school wins again the following year at its new level, it will be moved again to Sac-Joaquin Section Constitution and Bylaws 118 the next higher level. Otherwise, the school will remain in that division until it wins three more in a row (moved up one more division).
  • 5. Continued Success. If a school has maintained continued success over several years but has not won three straight Section titles, the Section Commissioner (in consultation with the Executive Committee) may recommend to the board that a school be moved to a higher division. Continued success may include, but not be limited to, the following:
    • Section semifinalist or finalist for four or more years in a row with at least one Section title; or
    • Four Section titles in a span of six years. i. After a school has been moved to a level above its enrollment because of the three in a row rule or the continued success rule, that school may be moved down one level if the following occurs:
      • (a) The school misses the playoffs in any year; or
      • (b) The school fails to reach the semifinals in two consecutive years.
  • 6. A school is not allowed to play in a division lower than its enrollment.
  • 7. Bracket Size. Divisions I-III will be 16 teams. Divisions IV-VI will be 8 teams. Division VII will be six teams.
St. Mary's Rams were D1 champions 2016, D1 runner-ups in 2017 (losing to Folsom), and D1 semi-finalists in 2018 (losing to Folsom). Hence, the Rams fall under the Continues Success rule.

SJS D1 playoffs is going to be loaded with Inderkum and Del Oro also included in D1. Folsom is definitely the favorite. But, considering new coaching staff and the loss of key players due to graduation, I anticipate some competitive games. The Rams are not a team to sleep on this year, despite Calpreps initial rankings. They have quite a few returning skilled players who will be better this year and quite a few young talent from their JV team that was pretty good last year, too. The big question that awaits answering, can they execute. QB Noah May had a rough start last season coming off a torn labrum from the prior season (just like Jimmy G is having with the 49ers). He should be much better this year. We will find out soon, tonight vs Pittsburg, if Noah and the Rams can rebound from last years season start (also vs Pittsburg). GO RAMS!!!

Reactions: concrete17
St. Mary's does fit into the continued success criteria (semifinalist or finalist four years in a row with at least one section title), so it seems strange that the SJS wouldn't have just labeled them as such to begin with this season. Why wait until the playoffs to "ask" them to move up?

St. Mary's pass defense needs MUCH work. If this does not improve, then a showdown with Tracy and their stellar QB could indeed lead to the Rams giving up the TCAL league title. On offense, the Rams had too many dropped balls early on. It would have helped if the passes were more on target (too many overthrown, behind, and too low). First game of the season jitters? Maybe.

Back to the Rams defense ... to give up 4 consecutive 2-pt conversions is not a good sign for the Rams defense - worst I have seen in years. Give Pittsburg credit. Their new QB played very well.

The big difference in witnessing last night's game ... the Pirates came into the stadium fired up! The Rams, not so fired up. One team wanted to win more than the other team. I had first stated that the Rams team should be more mature this year. I was wrong. Lots and lots of young players, especially the line and the defense. Still, there is lots of talent on this Rams team. They need to play more up to their potential and play with more fire in the belly. Still plenty of season left.

Congrats Pittsburg!

St. Mary's pass defense needs MUCH work. If this does not improve, then a showdown with Tracy and their stellar QB could indeed lead to the Rams giving up the TCAL league title. On offense, the Rams had too many dropped balls early on. It would have helped if the passes were more on target (too many overthrown, behind, and too low). First game of the season jitters? Maybe.

Back to the Rams defense ... to give up 4 consecutive 2-pt conversions is not a good sign for the Rams defense - worst I have seen in years. Give Pittsburg credit. Their new QB played very well.

The big difference in witnessing last night's game ... the Pirates came into the stadium fired up! The Rams, not so fired up. One team wanted to win more than the other team. I had first stated that the Rams team should be more mature this year. I was wrong. Lots and lots of young players, especially the line and the defense. Still, there is lots of talent on this Rams team. They need to play more up to their potential and play with more fire in the belly. Still plenty of season left.

Congrats Pittsburg!
This looked like a great early season matchup , wish I had gone to this one(was watching DLS vs STA.) From the tone of your post it sounds like SM wasn’t ready to play, and kinda shot themselves in the foot early on.

So, after Week Zero, I think the Delta League is going to be very interesting to watch this season. CalPreps ratings had the teams all clustered in the mid to low end range of playoff caliber ratings. Clearly, someone is going to step up and increase their post-season profile.

Davis made a splash right away with their handling of Grant. Is Davis that good? Is Grant down considerably from last year? Both?

Elk Grove made a game of it against Inderkum, which is one of the SJS's more consistently successful programs and is highly rated in Division 1.

Pleasant Grove and Franklin looked like winners on Friday, but their opposition might not have provided enough feedback to really make a determination yet. Neither Kennedy nor McNair is expected to make a playoff push, so how much do those wins tell us?

Cosumnes Oaks and Sheldon both struggled immediately, but also played higher end competition than PG and Franklin. New head coaches at both schools might need more time to get their teams to gel. Can they step up for a playoff berth or will they just fight for middle of the pack wins in this league?

Jesuit hasn't played yet, but they usually have good numbers and a solid program. Obviously, they will be expected to contend.

This ought to be fun.

Still plenty of season left.

Congrats Pittsburg!
Hey Bulldogmgc, I know you and poster "DanKings" are close and it feels weird not having him around at this time of the season. If you have any info regarding his silence can you enlighten us kind of sorta if you're privy. I'm only inquiring because he seems to be a good guy. Thanks and Go Rams!!!

Sincerely, FJ101

So, after Week Zero, I think the Delta League is going to be very interesting to watch this season. CalPreps ratings had the teams all clustered in the mid to low end range of playoff caliber ratings. Clearly, someone is going to step up and increase their post-season profile.

Davis made a splash right away with their handling of Grant. Is Davis that good? Is Grant down considerably from last year? Both?

Elk Grove made a game of it against Inderkum, which is one of the SJS's more consistently successful programs and is highly rated in Division 1.

Pleasant Grove and Franklin looked like winners on Friday, but their opposition might not have provided enough feedback to really make a determination yet. Neither Kennedy nor McNair is expected to make a playoff push, so how much do those wins tell us?

Cosumnes Oaks and Sheldon both struggled immediately, but also played higher end competition than PG and Franklin. New head coaches at both schools might need more time to get their teams to gel. Can they step up for a playoff berth or will they just fight for middle of the pack wins in this league?

Jesuit hasn't played yet, but they usually have good numbers and a solid program. Obviously, they will be expected to contend.

This ought to be fun.
In a quick, fast and hurry analysis this is how I view the new look Delta league standings.

1. MT (7-0) Conference
2. Elk Grove (5-2)
3. Jesuit (4-3)
4. Davis (4-3)
5. Consumes Oaks (3-4)
6. Sheldon (2-5)
7. Franklin (1-6)
8. PG (0-7)

SFL Up for grabs...spots 2-4
I’m not convinced any of the teams not named Folsom are a lock but certainly give Oak Ridge and DO the edge at this point. Will Rocklin rebound? Can Grant put it together in what appears to be Coach Al’s swan song? Obviously another great game to look forward to is Folsom vs. De La, Shamar Garret vs Daniyel Ngata

WCAL - Warriors come out to play...
I’m interested to see how Valley Christian matches up with the Lancers and Padres as VC is the clear preseason favorite. Which city school will take the next step? Across the pond battles
St. Francis vs. De La Salle, Pittsburgh vs. Serra

Reactions: pastyfastquick3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT