ADVERTISEMENT

To score or not to score, that is the question

To score or not to score?

• Total voters

ThunderRam

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2009
Hey guys, this is somewhat of an off-topic question as it involves a situation from one of this past weekend's NFL games but could relate to HS or college football as well. I'm very curious to know what the majority opinion is here.

There's been much debate (on another forum I frequent) regarding the Miami Dolphins 70-20 win over Denver this past Sunday, specifically on Mike McDaniel's decision to kneel on 4th down at the Broncos 27 yard line with :33 seconds remaining thus turning over the ball to Denver who ran one last play.

In a thread-poll conducted on this other forum, a majority of 116 people said that they would have attempted to tie or break the NFL scoring record (which is 73 points). Conversely a minority of 90 people said they would not have attempted to score any more points.

I know what my opinion is on the topic, and I have a good idea what I believe the majority here will say, but perhaps I might be wrong.

So, the all important questions is -- Would you have attempted to score more points while leading by 50 with under a minute remaining with a shot to tie or set the all-time single game scoring record or would you have opted to take a knee and turn the ball over as Mike McDaniel did?

Reactions: THEOC89
Sorry, it appears I accidentally allowed for multiple options to be selected in the poll and cannot change it for whatever reason.

Please be sure that only one option is selected if voting.

Taking a knee is the correct call...*In almost every case.

The rub, to me, is that point differential is now used as a tie-breaker/determining factor for playoffs. Personally, I do not care for the rule/using point differential for anything of consequence after 14 points. However, I also, am of the opinion that I can't fault a coach for going for it in the situation. If a coach's job is to put their team in the best possible position, isn't it the right call to go for it, under the new rule?

I can see both sides of the fence on this one. I would hope that I would take a knee in that situation if I was a HC of an NFL team. But thank the good Lord that I will never be in that situation to find out.

Take a knee, unless you are the LA Rams and go for the FG to mess up the betting on the spread, or you are Folsom and go for the jugular. 😂

I recall distant history of St. Mary’s Rams taking a knee repeatedly in its last two series on offense against Stagg when both teams were scoring like crazy and the Rams had a 70-50 point game in their favor. Lately, the SM Rams will just call running plays until there is just enough time to take a knee in its last series on offense to end the game. No games won so far SM have been blowouts. But, each victory I believed ended in the V formation.

Sorry, it appears I accidentally allowed for multiple options to be selected in the poll and cannot change it for whatever reason.

Please be sure that only one option is selected if voting.
Multiple Voting on this would actually make sense because I see it on 3 different levels…..

High School- These are Kids, Take a knee….

College- Go for the Jugular!!!…. Since College Championships are based on rankings and computers, pile on the most points possible…. Because to that Voter that didn’t watch the game, 77 looks better then 70….. And that may de the difference between making the playoff and not….

Professional- Take a Knee…. You are a Professional, there is no need to run up the score…..

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
I would have taken a knee too regardless of level. I think it is the professional thing to do (not run up the score) and it is serves as a final act of a dominant win to choose not to score again.

Take a knee, unless you are the LA Rams and go for the FG to mess up the betting on the spread, or you are Folsom and go for the jugular. 😂

I recall distant history of St. Mary’s Rams taking a knee repeatedly in its last two series on offense against Stagg when both teams were scoring like crazy and the Rams had a 70-50 point game in their favor. Lately, the SM Rams will just call running plays until there is just enough time to take a knee in its last series on offense to end the game. No games won so far SM have been blowouts. But, each

victory I believed ended in the V formation.

I recall distant history of St. Mary’s Rams taking a knee repeatedly in its last two series on offense against Stagg when both teams were scoring like crazy and the Rams had a 70-50 point game in their favor. Lately, the SM Rams will just call running plays until there is just enough time to take a knee in its last series on offense to end the game. No games won so far SM have been blowouts. But, each victory I believed ended in the V formation.
I agree in that if a team is having that great of a day or opposing team just can’t get it or worse is simply over matched than make yourself one dimensional and just run the ball,they can then just concentrate on the run….i say call off the dogs,bring in the backup’s and run the ball.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT