ADVERTISEMENT

A look at the PAL

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
With league play upcoming shortly, it might be worth a peek at what's in store for the 17 schools in the PAL. In the North, it's all Half Moon Bay, a defending CCS Division 4 champion, all the time. Again. If the Cougars (7-1) lose a league game in 2022, it will be a serious surprise. They have too much talent for the rest of the division. In the South, the picture is much more iffy. Hillsdale (9-1) and Burlingame (7-1) have had the most impressive pre-seasons thus far. The former is a smooth-shooting mix of experienced kids who move the ball and play well as a unit. The latter features the best high-low post combo in San Mateo County, 6-1 Elana Weisman and 5-11 Ava Urich, a pair of outstanding underclass prospects. BHS has to be considered in the title mix. Aragon, with powerhouse Megan Grant (a world-class softball player _ she's a member of the USA teen national team) back in the lineup, should be right there with the Knights and Panthers. At Capuchino, it all hinges on the health of big-time 6-2 center Mele Afeaki. She's been nursing a knee injury. If she can't play, the Mustangs, who lost just one game this past spring, are in very deep doo doo. With her in the lineup along with long-distance bomber Hailey Hoff, look out. Menlo-Atherton is another championship contender if the breaks go its way in the South's decidedly unbalanced schedule (the Bears will play title contenders Hillsdale, Aragon, Capuchino and Burlingame just once each). Sequoia, a defending CCS Division 1 champion, lost three key starters and its coach, Steve Picchi, a state Coach of the Year (for the second time), in the spring. The rest of the South ranges from questionable to no way, no how.

Last edited:
I love it 😊 the South
There will be some big battle coming in that Division it’s not so clear who will come out on top.
The North it’s HMB but there’s a dark horse that might come knocking at the Door but clearly it’s HMB at the Top of this division. There’s a old Coach at Jefferson who use to be at SSF that have those grizzly playing hard
I could put my prediction up on how they will finish in both leagues
Ive watch pretty much all of the top teams in the PAL
It’s going to be a fun year in the PAL

Coach Summerville

Wednesday final score: Sequoia 32, Half Moon Bay 30. Apparently, the Ravens' stifling half-court approach has continued under the guidance of a new coaching staff. That should add one more interesting chip onto the PAL South poker table. The Ravens struggle to score but that half-court zone, oh, my.

Last edited:
As of 2-6-22, HMB has a lock on the PAL North title (no surprise). Hillsdale has a lock on the PAL South crown (no worse than a title tie at this point). Hillsdale may well be placed in the CCS Open Division with a current 20-1 record (the lone loss was to St. Francis). HMB won't be an Open unit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT