ADVERTISEMENT

ACL recovery time: Is nine months enough?

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Brittany Sykes of Syracuse tore her ACL last March. In her third game back, just a couple days ago, she tore the same ACL again.

Obviously, it's different for every person, but it just seems to me erring on the side of caution is the way to go. If you have two ACL operations on the same knee, that's pretty much a guarantee of early arthritis and really, a lifelong issue.

Now if you're coming back for a contract worth several hundred thousand dollars, maybe it makes sense to push it. But Candace Parker rushed back in high school, and her knee still bothers her. She's a great player, but her defense is way below par, and some say it's because her lateral movement isn't there because of her knee issues.

Again, some kids are good to go in five months and never feel a twinge again. You just never know ...

It seems like a lot of girls who tear ACL's do it more than once. Not necessarily in the same knee. I don't think that they are simply accidents that could happen to anyone. The fact that girls experience ACL tears 3-4 times more than boys suggests that there is a structural predisposition involved. Probably more so in some girls than others. If I am right, the time devoted to the healing process may not be the controlling factor in predicting recurrence.

After the first ACL, I think players should seriously consider finding another sport. After the second, definitely switch.

I talked to a high school coach recently about a player who missed her sophomore season with an ACL and is now missing her junior season with a second ACL (different knee). He said he was going to hold her out all season so she would be ready to go her senior year. When I suggested that maybe it was time for her to hang up the high tops permanently, he dismissed the idea out of hand.

Recovery time? A year, I think, regardless of when the surgeon gives the green light, although if you communicate your wishes, and if the girl is your minor daughter, the surgeon will likely respect your wishes and package it that way. Why a year? Seems like a nice round figure, most surgeons predict shorter recovery (thus erring, as Clay says, on the side of caution), and my torn meniscus from 30 years ago took about a year after surgery to feel like it had never been injured (I know, apples and oranges). Of course, longer if the course of recovery indicates.

Hang up the sneaks, or switch sports (as long as it's not to soccer--same ACL issues)? Most high school girls have a very strong identification with, and loyalty to their team, teammates, and coach. I don't imagine many parents or coaches twisting arms to get the kids back playing--the kids want back. If there's ambivalence or uncertainty, encourage the notion that there's more to life than basketball. Forbidding a return to the sport would severely test your relationship with your child/player. My observation is more of the high performing players get hurt, probably a combination of more playing time and pushing the envelope more, but it means a bigger sense of identity in the sport.

My daughter tore her ACL at 14 (unusually early, in hindsight handwriting on the wall), again at 16, same knee. Played her sophomore and senior years only. After 2nd ACL, started to get involved with other activities (drama, video, student government), played a couple years of DIII ball, tweaked the knee (no tear), and walked away of her own volition. Upset, tearful the night she was hurt, called back the next night to say she was gonna be OK and move on. She did.

Last year, my 6th/7th man tore her ACL rebounding for a lay-up; nobody within 10 feet of her. Anyways, she had her surgery in late March and was cleared to play the first day of tryouts. It's January and she's doing well and does not hurt after games/practices. Some kids are predisposed to ACL injuries much more than others. Not to mention that now-a-days, kids are playing year round as soon as they hit 2nd grade (my daughter started year round soccer at age 9-I'm guilty of this lol). All of that overuse has to take it's toll on the body. You're right though...you just never know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT