ADVERTISEMENT

This Is A Good Will Shout Out To The Folks In Kentucky.

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
I am writing this to bring back a story I wrote several years ago. It is significant now because the town off Cuba, and western Kentucky was devastated by a massive tornado.

Send some good thoughts their way if you would.

Yesterday I went to the Crush in the Valley, mostly to see the public schools as the recruiter for the GIBT.
There was a team from Kentucky playing and an older gentleman from said state was taking tickets at the door.
During a break, I happened to ask him if he ever heard of the book, “ When Cuba Conquered Kentucky ”

Not only did he know of the book, which took place in the early 1950s, he was from the area. He knew the coach and several of the players such as Doodie Floyd, Drennon Bagwell from the book.
I laughed and said that Cuba seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, and he laughed and said it still is.

We talked about basketball, him from Kentucky, me from Brooklyn, and it was like we were from the same place. It was the highlight of my day.

Anyway here is the report about the book, I’m once again posting up for you to read if you care to.
It is a book I think every hoop fan should read for the knowledge and history, of how High School hoops influence communities and people.

I used to be a writer and scout for Norcalpreps. This is one of the reports I published.

When Cuba Conquered Kentucky “ A Book Review”

It was 1952. A tiny rural high school of 150 students, weaves it’s way thru their Sectional, Regional, and State playoffs.
There they meet up with a perennial state power with 3000 students, beating them for a state championship.
Sound familiar? No, it’s not tiny Milan Indiana high, from the movie Hoosiers. Another true story.

It’s the true story of Cuba Kentucky high school. And it was a national sensation in it’s time.
The book’s author , Marianne Walker tells of a chance encounter with a friend. She is introduced to her husband, who was a player on that team.
The book opens after the team loses at the state finals, the year before, and sets the stage for what’s to follow.

Cuba Kentucky was in a tiny hardscrabble corner of Western Kentucky, without electricity or indoor plumbing for the most part.
It is hemmed in on three sides by rivers, with no bridge access. A place, even most Kentuckians knew nothing about.

The kids were sons of white share croppers , who of all things, took as their inspiration and style of play, from the Harlem Globetrotters. They would even come out warming up to Sweet Georgia Brown.
Using a fast break, pressing, and highlight style of play, they caused a sensation wherever they played.

It is the story of how a small group of kids came together in this unlikely spot, at the same time, with talent and love for the hoop.
The author is very descriptive of time and place. I found the book interesting from both a historical and sociological perspective.

Allow yourself some patience for the Author’s indulgence in her narratives.
A story like this is a history lesson in High School basketball as well as a study in people and culture.
I enjoyed this book and highly recommended it to any basketball fan, or anyone who appreciates the unlikely, when it happens.

Oh, and why is the town called Cuba? You’re just going to have to read the book for that!

Here’s wishing you great hoops

I am writing this to bring back a story I wrote several years ago. It is significant now because the town off Cuba, and western Kentucky was devastated by a massive tornado.

Send some good thoughts their way if you would.

Yesterday I went to the Crush in the Valley, mostly to see the public schools as the recruiter for the GIBT.
There was a team from Kentucky playing and an older gentleman from said state was taking tickets at the door.
During a break, I happened to ask him if he ever heard of the book, “ When Cuba Conquered Kentucky ”

Not only did he know of the book, which took place in the early 1950s, he was from the area. He knew the coach and several of the players such as Doodie Floyd, Drennon Bagwell from the book.
I laughed and said that Cuba seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, and he laughed and said it still is.

We talked about basketball, him from Kentucky, me from Brooklyn, and it was like we were from the same place. It was the highlight of my day.

Anyway here is the report about the book, I’m once again posting up for you to read if you care to.
It is a book I think every hoop fan should read for the knowledge and history, of how High School hoops influence communities and people.

I used to be a writer and scout for Norcalpreps. This is one of the reports I published.

When Cuba Conquered Kentucky “ A Book Review”

It was 1952. A tiny rural high school of 150 students, weaves it’s way thru their Sectional, Regional, and State playoffs.
There they meet up with a perennial state power with 3000 students, beating them for a state championship.
Sound familiar? No, it’s not tiny Milan Indiana high, from the movie Hoosiers. Another true story.

It’s the true story of Cuba Kentucky high school. And it was a national sensation in it’s time.
The book’s author , Marianne Walker tells of a chance encounter with a friend. She is introduced to her husband, who was a player on that team.
The book opens after the team loses at the state finals, the year before, and sets the stage for what’s to follow.

Cuba Kentucky was in a tiny hardscrabble corner of Western Kentucky, without electricity or indoor plumbing for the most part.
It is hemmed in on three sides by rivers, with no bridge access. A place, even most Kentuckians knew nothing about.

The kids were sons of white share croppers , who of all things, took as their inspiration and style of play, from the Harlem Globetrotters. They would even come out warming up to Sweet Georgia Brown.
Using a fast break, pressing, and highlight style of play, they caused a sensation wherever they played.

It is the story of how a small group of kids came together in this unlikely spot, at the same time, with talent and love for the hoop.
The author is very descriptive of time and place. I found the book interesting from both a historical and sociological perspective.

Allow yourself some patience for the Author’s indulgence in her narratives.
A story like this is a history lesson in High School basketball as well as a study in people and culture.
I enjoyed this book and highly recommended it to any basketball fan, or anyone who appreciates the unlikely, when it happens.

Oh, and why is the town called Cuba? You’re just going to have to read the book for that!

Here’s wishing you great hoops
Marcskit..........this popped up under the guise of "similar threads" (something I rarely read but.....) and reread it again A Norcalpreps.forums Classic Sir
Another 👍👍👍👍

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT