ADVERTISEMENT

Amador upsets Cal!

Cal was rolling and in control in the first half, leading by 7 at the break. #5 Tincher took over in the second half both on offense and defense and was the difference as the Grizz (none of them) couldn’t hit a shot after intermission. The senior laden Dons have been hot as of late, made the shots when it counted and deserved to move on. Cal may still get a NorCal bid as the top seed left if and when the D1 winner goes to the Open.

AV outplayed and out coached Cal. Av played very solid man to man D all night and basically shut Down Cal. Cal offense was not very creative - they kind of rely on 10 to bale them out. When Cal tried to press late AV went right through them for an easy layup at the other end. Cal press late was non effective and not that good.

And the Cal defense was not that good as well - AV routinely was able to get very good shots on Offense. The AV offense mixed a lot of things up - a lot of creative picks / screens and some isolations where they felt they had the better match up.

Overall, surprised Cal actually beat AV in their first game - a AV fan at that game said AV was winning pretty much the whole game the first time but Cal was able to pull away late in the first meeting. AV I heard played a pretty tough non league schedule is what I heard as too why they are 17-12. They did not look like a 17-12 team last night.

Senior-dominated teams often punch above their weight -- not only does experience count, seniors play with a sense of urgency because for most of them, this is the last time they'll play seriously.

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
Don’t disagree w that - but Cal was outcoached as well. Cal offense as noted earlier was not very creative - a lot of standing around - only simple picks - they rely too much on 10. At least in the game last night they did. AV played was playing very good man to man D. Fighting through the few picks being set and not giving them open 3 looks.

And their was no off ball screens trying to get easy opportunities down low either - AV was able to shut them down in the second half.

And AV was mixing it up on offense when they had the ball - they had a good mix of easy shots around the basket off their O and they also had good open looks mid range off their O.

They did not look like a 17-12 team.

Senior-dominated teams often punch above their weight -- not only does experience count, seniors play with a sense of urgency because for most of them, this is the last time they'll play seriously.

Agreed. Tincher pretty much put that team on her back and the team followed suit. Even with her hitting every open shot and the big girl coming alive in the 2nd half, had a few of Cal’s Open looks fallen in the 4th quarter it may have been a different outcome.

Whether it was coaching, the hustle of the seniors (which Cal had none suited up), or just the bad luck of the shots that were dropping in the 1st half were rimming out in the 2nd half, again the Dons earned that victory and deserved to move on.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
The last 5-6 years, Cal has been one of the most underperforming teams in EBAL and in Norcal. Clearly with the most talent (second to CLet many of those years), they have never been able to put it together. Many coaches dream of having talent like they do. Maybe it's not just the kids...

I don’t care if they don’t have seniors - girls mature and develop physically many times by the time they are freshmen -

Not sure how many fresh. Or Sophs or juniors they had out there - but physically speaking they were as athletic or more so than AV.

But Their defense was not good - their man to man defense looked like they were not well coached. AV routinely got easy shots /
Layups and open mid range shots as well.

And on offense they relied too much on 10. Is that 10 kid being recruited ? She should be - what a player she is.

I don’t care if they don’t have seniors - girls mature and develop physically many times by the time they are freshmen -

Not sure how many fresh. Or Sophs or juniors they had out there - but physically speaking they were as athletic or more so than AV.

But Their defense was not good - their man to man defense looked like they were not well coached. AV routinely got easy shots /
Layups and open mid range shots as well.

And on offense they relied too much on 10. Is that 10 kid being recruited ? She should be - what a player she is.

Actually #5 Moulton is normally Cal’s top scorer, but Tincher from AV manned her up and she wasn’t the factor she usually is. #10 Adams tried to pick up the slack but the shots weren’t falling. She has really improved this season as she has taken on a larger role. Both are Juniors and the other starters were 2 frosh and a soph. Not sure about recruitment for any of them.

The last 5-6 years, Cal has been one of the most underperforming teams in EBAL and in Norcal. Clearly with the most talent (second to CLet many of those years), they have never been able to put it together. Many coaches dream of having talent like they do. Maybe it's not just the kids...

The talent has been very good at times at Cal High over the last 20 years, but the coaching has been uniformly dismal due to the indifference of school administration. Actually, the current coaching staff is a big step up from what they've had previously but building the right culture after decades of malpractice isn't easy.

I wasn’t impressed w number 5 - only game I’ve seen her though - looked like a decent high school player - but not a college level player. Had to of been pretty good in her other games though - the good Tincher girl was guarding number 10.

The other Tincher girl is not bad - she is decent.

Not sure who was guarding 5. Maybe it was that other Tincher girl. The more I think about - you are right it was her.

I can definitely see number 10 playing on the next level - she is legit.

Cal will b good again next year for sure - they have a lot of good players w the 1 great player they will b dangerous next season for sure.

Actually #5 Moulton is normally Cal’s top scorer, but Tincher from AV manned her up and she wasn’t the factor she usually is. #10 Adams tried to pick up the slack but the shots weren’t falling. She has really improved this season as she has taken on a larger role. Both are Juniors and the other starters were 2 frosh and a soph. Not sure about recruitment for any of them.

I hear that Moulton was sick yesterday and not playing anywhere close to her normal self. Not only the top scorer but also the best defender so that had to put a big dent in the game plan.

Kudos to Amador they were the better team that night. Sick or not she is on the court and contributed. Big win!

AV now faces Carondelet and likely the end of the NCS road for them. If CLet or Heritage goes to the Open, Cal would be next in line for a NorCal berth to backfill that spot.

Both AV and Cal will likely have their hands full playing on the road at another section in the first round. Hopefully they can each pull off a victory and make some noise going forward. I’m thinking they’d both be low D1, but I guess could potentially be high D2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT