ADVERTISEMENT

Bear Creek vs SMS - D1 Championship

CoachDViks

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2011
Congrats to both team representing Stockton. This should be moved to the Stockton Arena and im sure it would get close to capacity.

Also with that being said does both Teams get into the OPEN?? I say yes. At this point i believe that SMS has stamped thier ticket back with either a win or a loss.

SAC hi vs Antelope another great Matchup. I hope Sac hi girls come to play hard all game and it should be a good. If sac plays careless Antelope will for surely run off with a 20 point win. They are coached VERY well and are well disciplined.

Congrats to Both. I say Antelope #7 To the Open.

Can you image Antelope vs Miramonte or Pinewood in the 1st Round....

HERE comes March Madness

I agree with you Coach, book St Mary's into the Open again this year win or lose. Do you think these 2 championship games will be affected by playing at Golden 1? Playing in big arena and big court could definitely play an impact into some different factors such as: stamina, outside shooting, full court press vs half court press, substitution patterns (using more bench), 3 point lines on the court (NBA line).

Reactions: 6kids
@basketba11 what Ive learned in girls hoop is the team that hits more 3's and wins the turnover battle wins the game most likely.

Playing on a bigger court hurts the bigger slower team (sms). SMS size shouldnt be as a big of factor as it would if they were in a small gym. SMS is going to have to defend. Very hard to press Mya blake and that press will lead to wide open shots. The key to beating BC is stopping Blake from getting to the basket and denying the Shooters. (We couldnt do either). They pass well and have alot of good shooters and ball handlers. SMS has the experience and Size to beat them but They NEVER play man. If SMS plays man it could be a long night for BC but SMS playing man takes their shooters off the court as well.

Should be a game of runs.

Reactions: basketba11
@basketba11 what Ive learned in girls hoop is the team that hits more 3's and wins the turnover battle wins the game most likely.

Playing on a bigger court hurts the bigger slower team (sms). SMS size shouldnt be as a big of factor as it would if they were in a small gym. SMS is going to have to defend. Very hard to press Mya blake and that press will lead to wide open shots. The key to beating BC is stopping Blake from getting to the basket and denying the Shooters. (We couldnt do either). They pass well and have alot of good shooters and ball handlers. SMS has the experience and Size to beat them but They NEVER play man. If SMS plays man it could be a long night for BC but SMS playing man takes their shooters off the court as well.

Should be a game of runs.
Hey, soulvike, SMS has played more man the last 12 games than anything else. They also took 6 charges last nite vs McClatchy . U say SMS is slower? They are one of the most athletic teams in the state . Especially now that Oliver is moving well, 17 pts and 13 rebs last nite. I love when people come on here and have no idea what their talking about. Validate your comments with truthful facts. SMS will do whatever it takes . Press, man, zone whatever. I only seen their point guard play once vs antelope last year and they ate her alive. I don't no anything about bear creek other that they lose a lot to after this year according to maxpreps.

It's more difficult to press full court on a larger court -- and it's also harder to shoot threes in NBA arenas. Not only do high school players wind up shooting from the wrong three-point line, they also must deal with the tighter rims (mandated by the NBA) that cause the ball to bounce away more than bounce in.

Hey, soulvike, SMS has played more man the last 12 games than anything else. They also took 6 charges last nite vs McClatchy . U say SMS is slower? They are one of the most athletic teams in the state . Especially now that Oliver is moving well, 17 pts and 13 rebs last nite. I love when people come on here and have no idea what their talking about. Validate your comments with truthful facts. SMS will do whatever it takes . Press, man, zone whatever. I only seen their point guard play once vs antelope last year and they ate her alive. I don't no anything about bear creek other that they lose a lot to after this year according to maxpreps.

Hey im just one person no need to get all touchy feely. I HEARD yall played Man vs Lincoln and thats why yall lost? im not sure. SMS has 3 D1 players so in public eye it should be a blowout but hey The State is still mind boggled over the BACK TO BACK losses to Pinewood. THERE ARE SOME TRUTHFUL FACTS. So dont come for me about facts the facts are that SMS has had the most talent these last few years and came up short !

Hey im just one person no need to get all touchy feely. I HEARD yall played Man vs Lincoln and thats why yall lost? im not sure. SMS has 3 D1 players so in public eye it should be a blowout but hey The State is still mind boggled over the BACK TO BACK losses to Pinewood. THERE ARE SOME TRUTHFUL FACTS. So dont come for me about facts the facts are that SMS has had the most talent these last few years and came up short !
Here is another fact you are done for the year!!!!

, SMS has played more man the last 12 games than anything else.

like SMS, MM relied for years on an aggressive trapping zone. they found that it confounds weaker opponents, but can be exploited by elite opponents. this year MM has also played a lot more player-to-player, which I'm glad to see. such a defense, trained to handle screens and provide quick help, can be very strong.

I made the drive over from Santa Rosa. Too good of a game to miss.

SMS ran their usual 2-2-1 and then fell back into a man2man. And they did a good job and took a bunch of charges.

The Refs called a VERY soft whistle which allowed for no flow unfortunately. Lowery barely played (maybe 10 mins?) before fouling out and Kam Hall also fouled out (in the 3rd). CKM was ice cold from outside and couldnt hit anything and SMS length on the inside made for alot of misses by CKM around the basket. SMS controlled the game I thought and it never felt to me that SMS was in danger of losing. And eventually when Cayton hit those 3 3's in the 2nd half, that gave SMS the needed separation to end any doubt on the outcome. Neither team shot the ball well. So those 3s by Cayton were HUGE.

SMS is so long... I can see that length being problematic for the undersized BC guards. BUT the court is bigger at Golden1 so that obviously will help. BC needs to bang some of those open outside shots (after they break the press) that CKM didnt if they want to have a chance to win.

I predicted the SMS/CKM winner would win the section and Im sticking with it.

SMS wins vs BC....keeps the section championship streak going. Keeps the section winning streak going.... Coach G and the SMS girls own that section. Until another team proves me wrong Im not picking against SMS.

LOL. That is true. My Edison Lady Vikes has came a long way in the last few years. Everyone doesnt have the luxury of having kids from different states and cities. I'll continue fighting this uphill battle with my southside kids.
Coach, You're doing a wonderful job with your kids. Keeps pushing.

Coach, You're doing a wonderful job with your kids. Keeps pushing.

Thanks. Just trying to get the most of out these kids and make sure they end up in college on or off the court. Good luck This weekend and in Norcals.

Reactions: Chelleh
@CoachDViks you don't think Sac Highs girls play hard, they did beat Heritage by 3, and Antelope got beat by Heritage by 8, not saying the game will be easy by any means but Sac High is scrappy and plays hard.

Last edited:

Hmmmm. The state must still be boggled by Pinewood beating Mitty last year too. Maybe the state is just boggled by definition.

@CoachDViks you don't think Sac Highs girls play hard, they did beat Heritage by 3, and Antelope got beat by Heritage by 8, not saying the game will be easy by any means but Sac High is scrappy and play hard.

Nobody said anything disrespectful toward Sac High..We all have the upmost respect for Sac High and coach Michelle. I believe Antelope is the underdog, as Sac has 7 seniors who are battle tested, while Antelope is lead by 3 Soph, 3 Juniors and 1 senior.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoachDViks
@CoachDViks you don't think Sac Highs girls play hard, they did beat Heritage by 3, and Antelope got beat by Heritage by 8, not saying the game will be easy by any means but Sac High is scrappy and play hard.

I for sure didnt mean any disrespect by my earlier post. If you look back through these threads ive also stated that I would take Ryanne (PG) over any other guard in Northern California. What I meant is they are very talented. Very Very Talented and I think at times the games gets to easy for them and they get bored.

I believe Sac can match up with anyone in the state because they are very talented, just like i wasnt surprised when they beat Etiwanda.

Once again no disrespect intended i have alot of respect for Michelle and her Sac Hi Program.

Reactions: Chelleh
Sac High vs Antelope for the D2 Section Championship tomorrow night!! Wow, this is a game everyone in Sacramento has been looking forward to. In my opinion, it is a toss up. I have to think this game will come down to the last minute, and a huge shot down the stretch could be the difference. Both teams have had amazing seasons thus far and are playing very well right now. Harriel is a star vs most likely POY Walters. Both of these girls are incredible point guards whose leadership, drive and competitiveness are special to watch. In all honesty, I guess the key to this game is probably who is able to knock down more 3s at a tough shooting venue like Golden 1. Harriel and the Jordan sisters get up tons of 3s, as well as Walters, Avent and Brown. I don't think Sac's pressure will be difficult for Antelope to handle. Gomez has been huge as an inside presence this season for Sac, as Spann is the same for Antelope. Good luck to both teams! Looking forward to seeing an instant classic!

Nobody said anything about disrespectful toward Sac High..We all have the upmost respect for Sac High and coach Michelle. I believe Antelope is the underdog, as Sac has 7 seniors who are battle tested, while Antelope is lead by 3 Soph, 3 Juniors and 1 senior.
I never said any one was being disrespectful, I asked a question.... im confused!

Reactions: jstblev
LOL. That is true. My Edison Lady Vikes has came a long way in the last few years. Everyone doesnt have the luxury of having kids from different states and cities. I'll continue fighting this uphill battle with my southside kids.
Keep up the good work, coach. Aside from the D1 final, I'd be interested in your take on the D3 match-up between Christian Brothers, who you played early in the season, and Bradshaw Christian, which has the most deceptive won-loss record among finalists across all divisions.

P.S. The Edison team photo collage on MaxPreps is way cool.

Keep up the good work, coach. Aside from the D1 final, I'd be interested in your take on the D3 match-up between Christian Brothers, who you played early in the season, and Bradshaw Christian, which has the most deceptive won-loss record among finalists across all divisions.

P.S. The Edison team photo collage on MaxPreps is way cool.

CB Definitely has the edge. Bradshaw best game is trapping and up tempo, they have no size or depth. CB should be able to take advatange of that and be able to guard. Amaya is a great player but ive seen her struggle vs longer opponents.

lmao... the shade about pinewood....
getting popcorn

lmao... the shade about pinewood....
getting popcorn

People like to take things out of context. There was no "shade" Pinewood is coached Very well and I respect Doc to the fullest. But lets be real, there is NO way SMS should of loss either game to Pinewood. They were deeper, faster, stronger, longer, etc. Every advantage was in SMS favor but they lose lol.

My point was simply that SMS Should have a few more state championships under its belt. They still are a top caliber program that sometimes under achieves.

People like to take things out of context. There was no "shade" Pinewood is coached Very well and I respect Doc to the fullest. But lets be real, there is NO way SMS should of loss either game to Pinewood. They were deeper, faster, stronger, longer, etc. Every advantage was in SMS favor but they lose lol.

My point was simply that SMS Should have a few more state championships under its belt. They still are a top caliber program that sometimes under achieves.
Hey, Soulvike I can't hear you. Lol . Like I said SMS was better at every position

CB Definitely has the edge. Bradshaw best game is trapping and up tempo, they have no size or depth. CB should be able to take advatange of that and be able to guard. Amaya is a great player but ive seen her struggle vs longer opponents.

I do believe BC won that contest. They have been rolling since a very difficult schedule in December.

SMS is in the OPEN every year. And yes they have had some unbelievable talent over the last decade...but you don't just roll the ball out in California and win the OPEN state title. There are just too many good teams and 1 down game or 1 exceptional game by an opponent and your season is over. Mitty has been the #1 team in the country (or at least a top 5) the last 2 yrs and haven't won the OPEN title. In fact, MITTY WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP LAST YEAR AND DIDNT WIN THE CALIF STATE TITLE!!!

The point being is its not easy winning a OPEN state title in Calif so to say St Mary's SHOULD HAVE won a few more, I don't know if I agree with that.

SMS is in the OPEN every year. And yes they have had some unbelievable talent over the last decade...but you don't just roll the ball out in California and win the OPEN state title. There are just too many good teams and 1 down game or 1 exceptional game by an opponent and your season is over. Mitty has been the #1 team in the country (or at least a top 5) the last 2 yrs and haven't won the OPEN title. In fact, MITTY WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP LAST YEAR AND DIDNT WIN THE CALIF STATE TITLE!!!

The point being is its not easy winning a OPEN state title in Calif so to say St Mary's SHOULD HAVE won a few more, I don't know if I agree with that.

YOU dont have to agree with it. Just like im not bothered by noone agreeing with anything I say. At the end of the day this is a MESSAGE BOARD. Noone is getting paid, noone is a professional in this field. It is simply a conversation of topics that we are all interested in.

My point about SMS was that whether they won the last couple of years or not, THEY HAD THE BEST TALENT!

Blount -D1
Moss - D1
A. Johnson - D1
Decosta - D1
N. Young - D1
N. Young - D1

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO WIN with that! Do you know how many coaches would die to have that on thier roster.

And lets not talk about 3 years ago when they lost to pinewood at Delta that team was even more loaded.

SM is good, But they are suppose to be good. They get ALL the top kids.

Hey, Soulvike I can't hear you. Lol . Like I said SMS was better at every position

Congrats Tom, Nini Hit some big shots have no idea how she was wide open when she was in the game. The Frosh PG did solid and you shot well as a team. Mahan and Lewis getting in foul trouble helped But congrats on another Section.

BUT J. Mahan was the best on the floor. and you are suppose to win guy. YOU CAN RECRUIT. Good luck in the OPEN.

Congrats Tom, Nini Hit some big shots have no idea how she was wide open when she was in the game. The Frosh PG did solid and you shot well as a team. Mahan and Lewis getting in foul trouble helped But congrats on another Section.

BUT J. Mahan was the best on the floor. and you are suppose to win guy. YOU CAN RECRUIT. Good luck in the OPEN.
You continue to amaze me with your bias comments. Bear creek is recruiting more of your players than SMS. Btw, Mayan was 1 for 10 from the field , 2 puts, 3 turnovers. Like I said better at every position.

You continue to amaze me with your bias comments. Bear creek is recruiting more of your players than SMS. Btw, Mayan was 1 for 10 from the field , 2 puts, 3 turnovers. Like I said better at every position.

Geez, man i say congrats and good luck and you cant even say thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT