ADVERTISEMENT

Ygnacio Valley vs Clayton Valley Charter - DAL Championship

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Getting ready here at YVHS….

YVHS is 22-6, the #1 seed in this tourney, and ranked #2 in NCS div. 4.

CVC is 21-7, the #2 seed in this tourney, and ranked #11 in NCS div 1.

These two faced each other earlier this season, and YV broke open a close game at halftime to win. 66-39. However…. CVC’s two top stars were in the midst of a 5-game suspension…. Things would have been different with those guys around…

Should be a terrufic game!

Meanwhile, I am watching the girls’ title game between Miramonte and heavily-favored Acalanes…. Just ended the 1st quarter, and Miramonte had a halfcourt try catch iron and glass but bounce out…. 15-11 Acalanes.

Disastrous 2nd quarter for Mira, and it’s 38-19 Acalanes at the half.

Acalanes gets rolling bigtime in the 2nd half…. 71-34, 5:41 left in the game.

last 2:25, running clock.

77-41 final…. On to the boys!

For a change, I have names/numbers and some stats….

YV’s leading scorer is junior Antonio Kellogg jr. He has scorched the nets for 18ppg this season.

Senior Loyal Morris has 12 pg,junior. Todd Tatom has 10.5ppg.

Bigman senior Evan McKnight, all 6’10” of him, has 8ppg and 7rpg.

Morris and freshman Terrane Murphy jr. have 5 rebounds a game.

on the CVC side, Elijah Perryman and James Moore lead the way with over 14ppg and sophomore Vince Ellis has 9.7 ppg,

While the teams each have a senior staror two, they are both loaded with underclassmen and will continue to be dangerous next season.

Jaden McClane strikes first for CVC..

Loyal Morris with a baseline drive to tie it…

Terrific pass to Perryman for 2…. 4-2 CVC. I think the assist was Chase Robertson.

Perryman with a crazy play, rebounded his own miss, great pass to Justin Underwood for 2…

Later on…. McKnight serves up his first Wilsonburger of the day…. Still 6-2…. but Tatom fouled, scores a pair of FT’s for YV. 6-4.

Perryman drives and scores…. 8-4. Fouled, make FT. 9-4.

Terrance Murphy rebound, fouled going back up for YV…. makes FT
s. 9-6.

Vince Ellis with a putback score…. YV scores, 11-8.

49 seconds left…. I gotta post more often. :)

Chase Robertson nails a 3…. 14-8.

Jalan Cody takes a 3 too early in the clock, but sinks it. No, no.. NICE SHOT!

Robertson almost nails a 3 on the other end. 14-11 CVC after 1 quarter.

McClane nails a 3, the first scoring of the 2nd… with 5 minutes left.

Morris fouled, makes both FT’s…. 17-13 CVC.

NorCal Preps just froze on me, now I’m back…. 24-18 CVC. 1:19 in the half.

Oops, backcourt CVC…

Long YV try at the buzzer, nope…. 24-20 at the half.

While my signal was away, moore and Perryman each threw down…. but I was silenced.

Perryman hits a 3 to open the 3rd…. 27-20.

McKnight dunk…. 27-22.

Vince Ellis drives base, scores, and 1. FT good. 30-22.

Perryman rebound, runout, score..32-22.

Perryman outwrestles McKnight for a rebound, but CVC loses it jump ball…

Perryman steal, pass to moore on the break, he goes up, fumbles the ballhalf way up, but sinks the layup anyway! 34-22. 5:36 left 3rd.

Tatom nails a corner 3 for YV.. 34-25.

Zaire King takes a pass inside for YV, fouled, makes both FT’s. 34-27.

Time out CVC with 4:08 left 3rd.

Geez, it’s like pulling teeth to get a post to go in…. right now, 37-27 CVC, 2:58 left….

okay, that one took 2 seconds. Go fig…

But I’m done trying. Will give final score.

So…. CVC got that double-digit lead, but YV kep chipping away…. Got with 3 several times, couldn’t get over the hump…. Finally, with some 15 seconds left, they got back within 5…. Then STOLE the inbounds pass and scored!

CVC managed to get past a desperate press and had to foul with maybe 10 left….

Robertson sank one of the FT’s, missed the 2nd…

YV zoomed downcourt and nailed a 3, but too late..

CVC wins 62-61 in one heck of a game in the Verizon darkness!

One other thing…. Moore was a total BEAST down the stretch…. he has this super-quick one-handed crossover (is there another name for that?) that he employed a few times in the last minutes.

It’s like he’s going toward the basket, a defender comes up after him, and he just VAPORIZES and pops up fully past the poor defender, still dribbling with the same hand! One more dribble, step, layup.

I don’t remember hearing…. Has he signed with a college?

Nice game last night - not a huge fan of the way the stands are configured in the YV gym as it creates four separate boxes of stands but I guess it is what it is. First time seeing YV and came away impressed by Kellogg Jr. dude is a demon on the defensive end when protecting the rim on breaks toward the basket. Morris is a jumping jack and would be unguardable if he was > 6'4". McKnight is an interesting player at 6'10" moves really well (maybe too well as he jumped to defend 3's too aggressively at times IMO).

I love watching CVC play especially Moore and Perryman. Moore just glides on the court incredible defender, rebounder and just does everything a team needs to win. Perryman is the ultimate slasher / finisher with good size. Ellis and Robertson (both sophs) had good games - Ellis hit two key 3's that gave CVC the cushion to withstand the last surge by YV.

Will be interesting to see the NCS D1 seedings and how well they match up against EBAL and a few of the North Bay, University (SF) teams.

Reactions: observer22
Trying to make sense of this - CVC beats YV by one point and gets #6 seeding in the NCS Open while YV gets #2 seed in NCS D4.... University is D3. D1 doesn't look that strong to me either.... scratching my head a bit over these rankings....

Branson (assuming they beat CVC) @ DLS on 2/21 should be interesting.

Trying to make sense of this - CVC beats YV by one point and gets #6 seeding in the NCS Open while YV gets #2 seed in NCS D4.... University is D3. D1 doesn't look that strong to me either.... scratching my head a bit over these rankings....

Branson (assuming they beat CVC) @ DLS on 2/21 should be interesting.
YV is a D4 school by enrollment

Yes, YV is D4, partly by enrollment, but also by history in hoops. The school has over 1200 enrolled, therefore must have been demoted at some point. Until last season, a .500 mark was a great year for YV, and most years it was a lot worse than that (at least during the MaxPreps years that started in 2005 or so).

In 1987, Eric Bamberger helped the then-Warriors make an incredible run all the way thru NorCals to the D1 state title game, losing to Mater Dei. Not sure they've had a contender since.

So D4 is a good place for them this year... If they win NCS, they'll likely get moved to D3 next year.

With CVC, I would have thought University or even Monty might have been a better choice for that Open spot.

But still, CVC is really good and will make Branson work for their advancement to DLS.

CVC does have a 10 point win over SRV. Plus, a couple of their losses took place without their 2 best players. Do I think they’ll win the Open? No, but they should at least be competitive. Plus, they’ve won D1 the last 2 years, so I assume the committee didn’t want to give them an easy avenue to get a 3rd.

Branson beat CV at Gridley Invitational 66-42 however CV has come a long way since then. It should be an exciting game.

Reactions: ayalar09
Yes, YV is D4, partly by enrollment, but also by history in hoops. The school has over 1200 enrolled, therefore must have been demoted at some point. Until last season, a .500 mark was a great year for YV, and most years it was a lot worse than that (at least during the MaxPreps years that started in 2005 or so).

In 1987, Eric Bamberger helped the then-Warriors make an incredible run all the way thru NorCals to the D1 state title game, losing to Mater Dei. Not sure they've had a contender since.

So D4 is a good place for them this year... If they win NCS, they'll likely get moved to D3 next year.
Loyal and mcknight are seniors... kellogg is a junior but he will be a solo act next year. they better get it this season

YV is a D4 school by enrollment
Thanks - I get confused by the NorCal seeding where they throw out the divisional components to a certain extent and just rank from top to bottom. I forget that NCS doesn't do this and keeps the seedings in their respective divisions besides the Open teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT