ADVERTISEMENT

Berkeley High: Best job in the East Bay? Potentially, of course ...

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
To start with, you have 3,417 students.

You have a diverse population in an area that has always been strong in basketball. Programs on all sides are successful -- O'Dowd, St. Joe's, Salesian -- and Berkeley was once the dominant team in the Bay Area.

Could it be again?

I tend to think so, given the sine qua non of administrative support (thought I'd use some of the Latin I learned in my wasted youth). Presumably you're going to be able find at least 12 good players already at the school, and with proper motivation, you have a competitive situation within the team. That means progress and development, because the players who will work hard will pass the less motivated ones by, which is a win-win all the way around.

I don't know much about district policies regarding accepting transfers, but when kids come in as ninth graders, there's no fuss. Is there room for out-of-district ninth graders? No idea, but with 1,700 girls to choose from to begin with, you don't need many.

I didn't see Berkeley play this year, and I know Michael Wooldridge wasn't as successful as he hoped to be, so there may be other issues, but to me, Berkeley is pretty much the definition of a sleeping giant. And I don't think it will take a magic wand to wake it up again.

Reactions: TransitionD
yah I tend to agree with you, but from what I've heard, the AD ins't the best and the VP over athletics is incompetent. Those two things are a recipe for disaster, no matter who's the coach. Berkeley also doesn't allow inter district transfers anymore as they did when Nakamura was coaching. it was easy to get players in and a lot of players didn't even live in the district, let alone the county. But he did have it rolling...

Berkeley is a sleeping giant, but it is also hard to regain elite status once it is lost. The East Bay landscape has changed a lot since the Boyd/Davis years.

It is an attractive job, but I don't think it is the best one out there

i heard BHS had interviews last week for Boys and Girls. Any word on who they picked?

Do they pay the same in high school for boys and girls?

While I can't say for certain, Im pretty sure they do. People would be up in arms if it wasn't equal pay. It'll be interesting to see how well he does (if in fact this is true) at a school where they don't let in kids from out of district (like they did before) and no real recruiting. I hear that there's always a good pipeline from Berkeley city schools and keeping them from going to the privates is hard in and of itself.

Yes they get paid the same and they don't get paid very much. In the 4K to 5k range for the season. And that's on the higher side. Some programs have separate stipends for the assistants and some share that one stipend.

To start with, you have 3,417 students.

You have a diverse population in an area that has always been strong in basketball. Programs on all sides are successful -- O'Dowd, St. Joe's, Salesian -- and Berkeley was once the dominant team in the Bay Area.

Could it be again?

I tend to think so, given the sine qua non of administrative support (thought I'd use some of the Latin I learned in my wasted youth). Presumably you're going to be able find at least 12 good players already at the school, and with proper motivation, you have a competitive situation within the team. That means progress and development, because the players who will work hard will pass the less motivated ones by, which is a win-win all the way around.

I don't know much about district policies regarding accepting transfers, but when kids come in as ninth graders, there's no fuss. Is there room for out-of-district ninth graders? No idea, but with 1,700 girls to choose from to begin with, you don't need many.

I didn't see Berkeley play this year, and I know Michael Wooldridge wasn't as successful as he hoped to be, so there may be other issues, but to me, Berkeley is pretty much the definition of a sleeping giant. And I don't think it will take a magic wand to wake it up again.

Yet, even with 1700 girls they lost to a John Swett team with only 5 girls total on the team. Something is rotten in Berkeley

I thought that was old news although i haven't seen a news article or any announcement.

That league will be incredible next year.

Berkeley
St Joes
San Leandro
Alameda
Piedmont
Bishop O’Dowd

Incredible? BOD, SL and SJND are the only viable ones on here. Alameda lost eveyone as did Piedmont and Berkeley is in rebuilding phase. Question..did Castro Valley get moved down? They should be on this list too

no problem whoever this is lol. Marcus a good dude! he brings professional experience from coaching semi pro women's basketball! Should do well.
Marcus who? Did the old coach quit? Didn't they just win a title in D2?

Marcus who? Did the old coach quit? Didn't they just win a title in D2?

from what I heard he was having problems with fundraising (didn't want to do it) and intimidating players. But he's been doing the one and done for a while now. Alameda, Antioch, Washington...dude has been all over not staying more than a year

He quit because of fundraising? That doesn’t sound like a complete picture. I’m assuming he was asked to resign if he was intimidating the kids. This sounds like the kinda information a disgruntled parent would spread. Hip graduated from Alameda. Why didn’t he take Berkeley?

He quit because of fundraising? That doesn’t sound like a complete picture. I’m assuming he was asked to resign if he was intimidating the kids. This sounds like the kinda information a disgruntled parent would spread. Hip graduated from Alameda. Why didn’t he take Berkeley?

It possibly was disgruntled, just what I heard. With all the politics that are happening at Alameda with the administrators, it's a wonder they even have a sports program. it's a mess...

Reactions: GodFamilyBasketball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT