ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop Gorman 16' Schedule

HSFBFan4444

Seasoned Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
As reported on Maxpreps, BG is working on their 16' schedule and here is what they are trying to do

Wk1 @ Cedar Hill (TX)
Wk2 vs. Katy (TX)
Wk3 @ Allen (TX)
Wk4 vs. Kahuku (HI)
Wk5 vs. IMG (FL)
Wk6 vs. St. Thomas Aquinas

As insane as this schedule seems it might be possible. They would only have two away games and while one is financially difficult for most schools I don't think it would be for BG. Thoughts?

As reported on Maxpreps, BG is working on their 16' schedule and here is what they are trying to do

Wk1 @ Cedar Hill (TX)
Wk2 vs. Katy (TX)
Wk3 @ Allen (TX)
Wk4 vs. Kahuku (HI)
Wk5 vs. IMG (FL)

As insane as this schedule seems it might be possible. They would only have two away games and while one is financially difficult for most schools I don't think it would be for BG. Thoughts?

Would love to see DLS take on a similar challenge

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life

Wk1 @ Cedar Hill (TX)
Wk2 vs. Katy (TX)
Wk3 @ Allen (TX)
Wk4 vs. Kahuku (HI)
Wk5 vs. IMG (FL)

Next year could be the most talented team they've had in the Sanchez(s) era. 4 maxpreps junior all-Americans returning

Wk1 @ Cedar Hill (TX)
Wk2 vs. Katy (TX)
Wk3 @ Allen (TX)
Wk4 vs. Kahuku (HI)
Wk5 vs. IMG (FL)

The majic word...Insane...But with only two away games maybe, the expense would not be bad, but if its a two year contract, BG had better take out a very large loan to finance the 2017 schedule, and i'm wondering if the other schools can afford a trip to Vegas also.

The majic word...Insane...But with only two away games maybe, the expense would not be bad, but if its a two year contract, BG had better take out a very large loan to finance the 2017 schedule, and i'm wondering if the other schools can afford a trip to Vegas also.

With the Fertita family involved I doubt $ is an issue for BG

Reactions: bella123

Wk1 @ Cedar Hill (TX)
Wk2 vs. Katy (TX)
Wk3 @ Allen (TX)
Wk4 vs. Kahuku (HI)
Wk5 vs. IMG (FL)

OMG!!! Now that's what you call "BIG BOY FOOTBALL". You would think a team from either Cali, Georgia, Florida or Texass would schedule a season like this. Wow!!! Go Seahawks!!! Beat the Panthers

Tony Sanchez had big plans for Cal High and was targeted to go to Texas in 2011, years before dLS. He was not fearful as exemplified by traveling to Bellevue in his fourth year, with only a portion of travel expenses covered by Gondaroff. While Tony was an O guy, Kenny runs D and other little brother Bobby does WRs. Former CHS guys are Canfield (RBs, now OC) Scott Cooley (DL) and former 49er Sean Manuel who was stipened by fundraising at CHS as Strength and Conditioning. Kids loved Manuel not only for his pedigree, but his wisdom.

I am not surprised at all by the schedule. Those guys were all in when it came developing a team. That's why UNLV took a chance on Tony. Kenny is on the record wanting dLS on his schedule.

Tony Sanchez had big plans for Cal High and was targeted to go to Texas in 2011, years before dLS. He was not fearful as exemplified by traveling to Bellevue in his fourth year, with only a portion of travel expenses covered by Gondaroff. While Tony was an O guy, Kenny runs D and other little brother Bobby does WRs. Former CHS guys are Canfield (RBs, now OC) Scott Cooley (DL) and former 49er Sean Manuel who was stipened by fundraising at CHS as Strength and Conditioning. Kids loved Manuel not only for his pedigree, but his wisdom.

I am not surprised at all by the schedule. Those guys were all in when it came developing a team. That's why UNLV took a chance on Tony. Kenny is on the record wanting dLS on his schedule.

Loved BIG Scott Cooley he coached my daughter in LAX

Cooley is a l a r g e man! Speaking of, wait until Kahuku (HI D1 state champs beating powerhouse St. Louis) shows up. dLS and BG may think they have a corner on large Islanders. They're from the North Shore where the waves are pretty big too in winter.

So, leagues would be Elite vs Elite, Private vs Private, Public vs Public? Now there's an idea! :)

So, leagues would be Elite vs Elite, Private vs Private, Public vs Public? Now there's an idea! :)

At the very least when they aren't playing a weak league team make them play a team that actually stands a chance. BG can't get any competition in the entire state of Nevada.

At the very least when they aren't playing a weak league team make them play a team that actually stands a chance. BG can't get any competition in the entire state of Nevada.
It's the smart move if they want to be "national champs". A Nevada schedule won't get you there and I'd assume they're aren't many instate teams eager to play them.

Many states have separate private and public school divisions all the way through state 'ships.

IMO elite high school teams should be playing other elite high school teams

I do agree with you there. Just the travel and such for high school ball seems allot. I can see this morphing into a club situation where all the kids want to travel and play marquee games. Then there will be a demand for the IMG type set ups.

Why is De la Salle not on their schedule?? But this is a brutal schedule
Something happened in Concord, or soon thereafter, when T Sanchez brought BG up a few years back. The dLS non-football dad who's the prolific poster opinioned on that and called Tony "a punk" on NCP. Perhaps he can detail that. Could be why Sparta is not keen on the matchup. New BG HC Kenny Sanchez is on the record recently wanting a dLS game.

Reactions: observer22
Something happened in Concord, or soon thereafter, when T Sanchez brought BG up a few years back. The dLS non-football dad who's the prolific poster opinioned on that and called Tony "a punk" on NCP. Perhaps he can detail that. Could be why Sparta is not keen on the matchup. New BG HC Kenny Sanchez is on the record recently wanting a dLS game.

Yeah, it is certainly not because BG doesn't want the competition. DLS does not want to grant them a rematch due to some sort of gamesmanship or misunderstanding about whether DLS had committed to a home & home and traveled to BG, and that is their prerogative. They have teams from all over the US wanting to play them, and so does BG. As a fan though, I would like to see the best play the best, regardless of what might have been said some 6 or 7 years ago by a previous coach. Both teams have new head coaches now (although both were assistants back then), and that kind of thing should not prevent these teams from playing each other in the future. The best in CA vs. the best in NV. Get it done.

LOL. Something like that. We both went through a lot of the same sporting experiences with our kids, and have long memories. He can be my wingman anytime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1315

Wk1 @ Cedar Hill (TX)
Wk2 vs. Katy (TX)
Wk3 @ Allen (TX)

Regarding the Katy game, I'm not buying it. Katy won't travel -- especially out-of-state. Actually, it's rare, if ever, that a top Texas program will travel out-of-state, let alone Katy who won't even travel to the North part of Texas.

Reactions: Phoenix45
Regarding the Katy game, I'm not buying it. Katy won't travel -- especially out-of-state. Actually, it's rare, if ever, that a top Texas program will travel out-of-state, let alone Katy who won't even travel to the North part of Texas.

Out of the 3 Chill is the only one I see going for sure. Yeah Joseph wont leave the GHA until the last rounds of of the playoffs, doubt he even knows where the airport is. I don't see him heading out of Texas.

Reactions: pantera-cat
Would love to see DLS take on a similar challenge

The difference is that DLS stresses academics over football, that doesn't seem to be the case at BG. Plus, DLS doesn't have the multi-millionaire backers that BG has to pay for that amount of travel, tutors, etc...

The difference is that DLS stresses academics over football, that doesn't seem to be the case at BG. Plus, DLS doesn't have the multi-millionaire backers that BG has to pay for that amount of travel, tutors, etc...

I agree that DLS doesnt have as much financial backing as BG but I don't think DLS is anywhere near the academic giant they like to tout. With the exception of Larry Allen in recent memory what other players got Ivy League offers?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1315 and observer22
I agree that DLS doesnt have as much financial backing as BG but I don't think DLS is anywhere near the academic giant they like to tout. With the exception of Larry Allen in recent memory what other players got Ivy League offers?

Include "life preparation" with academics. 95% of DLS/Carondolet students go on to a 4 year college. Spending the whole football season with tutors in hotel rooms will just never happen at DLS. There is no academic or life preparation benefits in that.

Victor Egu went to Yale a couple of years ago, but he's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Simba Short went to Northwestern, Hooper to Stanford, Barton to Cal...those are pretty good schools as well. But some former football players go to elite colleges...they're just not playing football. DLS/Carondolet sends LOTS of NON-football athletes and scholars to elite colleges all of the time. You just don't know who they are since they don't play football. So yes...academics is more important than football... and sports in general.

Every school in the East Bay gets several Ivy League ACADEMIC offers, which is much more competitive than the athletes who are measured in the "bands" which incorporated how many can be offered based on their test scores. dLS has far fewer National Merit Scholars than most schools and their 1140 ish of 1600 and ACT of 25 is very average for the area. The public a few blocks away essentially matches those scores. It's a free country; parents paying almost 17K/year for a secular education or better sports programs is their choice.

Naming players who get into those highly academic schools without understanding their circumstances or understanding Academic Index is ignorant. But this will help...

http://www.tier1athletics.org/category/ivy-league-academics/academic-index-ivy-league-academics/

skip down a bit to find the following.
Ivy League Football Academic Bands
April 24, 2014 / admin / No comments
Football recruits in the Ivy League have a slightly different set of rules than recruits in the other sports. An Ivy League football coach can recruit up to 30 players and those recruits must fall into one of 4 academic bands based on their academic index. Band 4 is the highest, which seems counter-intuitive, but that’s how they label it. A Band 4 athlete must have an Academic Index that falls within 1 standard deviation of the Academic Index of the general population of students at that school. So if the general AI is around 220, the Band 4 guys must be around 207. 8 of the coach’s 30 recruits must be Band 4. Next is Band 3 which goes down to 2 standard deviations off the mean index. Approximately 13 of the 30 recruits must be Band 3 or higher. That’s an index around 194 or better. (Standard deviations can’t be calculated precisely without knowing the exact distribution of all scores which is not public knowledge- so these benchmarks are educated guesses). 7 more recruits can be in band 2, which is 2.5 standard deviations. That’s around 180. Lastly, the coach is allowed to bring on 2 players that are at or above the 176 index floor. So it’s:

Band 4: 8

Band 3 (or higher): 13

Band 2 (or higher): 7

Band 1 (or higher): 2

Total: 30

It’s interesting to note that the Ivy council that keeps tabs on such things may shift these numbers a bit to allow struggling programs to add a few recruits in the lower bands to help bolster the recruiting efforts and keep some parity in the league.

Going to an Ivy League school is no longer an indication of academic excellence. Those schools are now living off of their reputations rather than their actual academic performance. Admissions to Ivy league schools are more networking and donation based anyway. I wouldn't send my kids to any, except maybe Penn. Stanford is now the school of choice for most Bay area students seeking a top-notch education.

DLS has always been in the high 90%s sending graduates to college. A handful opt for military service, but It is rare to find any who don't do either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT