• LIBERTY

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • ANTIOCH

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Qazwsx123

Rookie
Jun 15, 2018
seems that the BVAL is the deepest in NORCAL .Pitt still at the top liberty at their heels and Antioch seems to be a solid contender for the title. is liberty for real? Does PITTS defense have holes? will Antioch wear down? is this the year a BVAL team will be an actual threat to De La Salle?

Tough to argue with that assessment at this point. Although some folks in the Sac-SJ area would debate that conclusion.

I guess I can give Antioch credit... but I won’t. Hahahaha

Just kidding. They actually did what everyone has else has showed, that Clayton is solid division 1 team but not the world beaters they proclaim to be.

Pittsburg’s offense better figure it out or the Pirates will be doomed for more letdowns.

At the end of the day I think Liberty’s weak schedule is going to hurt them and leave them unprepared for a more physical Antioch and Pittsburg teams.

I was at the DLS game and I am not overly impressed with their offense. But they always catch fire as the season progresses.

Serra and St. Francis will be a great matchup at the end of the year.

The NCS Open playoffs are really cloudy now. I say two BVAL teams make it, plus DLS. So that leaves Clayton and Monte Vista competing for the 4th spot

Pitt is the top dog until someone can beat them. Liberty has the playmakers to compete with them but Pitt is so Big/Strong/Fast/Physical up front. It will be hard for Liberty, Antioch, or anyone else to play with their big boys up front. That said, it should be a fun year where there is no week off. Don't forget about Freedom either, they have arguably the best individual player in the league in Giles Jackson.

cant disagree with you paloma but i dont think liberty schedule could of been better they are just making it look weak. Vacaville is down, Gilroy should of never been scheduled, MACK was picked my many and that game was over at the end of 1st qtr, Rocklin watching from stands great game plan but could not sustain that vs liberty balanced attack. Antioch hope they keep the train rolling great to see lucido having them rolling with losing a-lot for the HARRIS ERA. SAC-SJ division overall #2 to the BVAL hands down.

Top 3 in BVAL is hard to beat. But the bottom is pretty dreadful with Heritage getting clobbered by 3 different EBAL teams thus far, and DV & Freedom apparently down. With the EBAL now split into 2 different leagues, the EBAL Mountain has no weak teams and is rated by CalPreps as the #5 league in the state at this point. No easy games in this league such as Livermore or Dougherty, as it consists just of DLS, MV, SRV, Cal & Foothill. Pretty solid head to toe.

Freedom gets SRV this week, so maybe they can show something they didn't vs Cal, but after that game they get a strong dose of Antioch, Liberty and Pitt and could be looking at 4 losses in a row if they're not careful. I think the BVAL gets 2 into the Open this year unless they knock themselves out, such as Pitt losing to say Liberty and beating Antioch, and CVC then getting the nod over them based on head to head.

Should be fun.

http://calpreps.com/2018/ratings/California_leagues.htm

Reactions: Paloma
cant disagree with you paloma but i dont think liberty schedule could of been better they are just making it look weak. Vacaville is down, Gilroy should of never been scheduled, MACK was picked my many and that game was over at the end of 1st qtr, Rocklin watching from stands great game plan but could not sustain that vs liberty balanced attack. Antioch hope they keep the train rolling great to see lucido having them rolling with losing a-lot for the HARRIS ERA. SAC-SJ division overall #2 to the BVAL hands down.
In my opinion the only time a NCS D2 to D5 school threatens a NCS D1 team is in basketball. Not football. Maybe 10 years ago they would have been cool games. But in 2018 Cardinal Newman, Mack, Gilroy, Rocklin, and Vacaville are completely inferior to a real NCS Open team. Which I think Liberty is. I just think their schedule is weak. Freedom, Antioch, and Pittsburg are the only legit D1 teams on their schedule. So we’ll see how they respond to real D1 talent after spending 6 weeks going against 6 weaks.

seems that the BVAL is the deepest in NORCAL .Pitt still at the top liberty at their heels and Antioch seems to be a solid contender for the title. is liberty for real? Does PITTS defense have holes? will Antioch wear down? is this the year a BVAL team will be an actual threat to De La Salle?

SFL > BVAL

Tough to argue with that assessment at this point. Although some folks in the Sac-SJ area would debate that conclusion.

I really wouldn’t debate it through 4 games, at least the top 3 as @observer22 pointed out. They all look pretty darn good.

It remains to be seen how good Del Oro and Granite Bay might be. Although Oak Ridge has looked fairly good.

But as of this week, I can see BVAL with an edge.

Without Folsom, no. With Folsom, maybe ever so slightly.Maybe.

Through this point in the season, I wouldn't argue against you. However, if both Del Oro and Oak Ridge prove to be as good as they've looked thus far, it's a different story.

As of right now, Folsom is clearly the top team among SFL and BVAL. IMO Pitt is solid #2 (although the loss to CVC who in turn lost to Antioch hurts them). But who's #3?

Oak Ridge and Liberty both own wins over Vacaville and in a couple weeks both will have played Rocklin so we'll see how that plays out.

After that, it's Antioch and Del Oro with the Panthers owning the more impressive W's to this point.

Both are great leagues. But the BVAL might be one team deeper w/Freedom. If Granite Bay continues their resurgence, that might not necessarily be the case. We'll see.

I had 10 minutes to burn...

NorCal top 10 as per Calpreps rating today:

1. DLS 77.0 EastBay-Mountain NCS
2. Folsom 73.1 SFL SJS
3. Pitt 52.7 BVAL NCS
4. Liberty 48.5 BVAL NCS
5. St. Francis 46.2 WCAL Central Coast
6. Monterey Trails 45.5 Metro SJS
7. Oak Ridge 44.2 SFL SJS
8. Serra 42.6 WCAL Central Coast
9. Central Catholic 39.1 Valley Oak SJS
10. Del Oro 38.6 SFL SJS

Reactions: norcalfootballfan2

2. Folsom 73.1 SFL SJS
3. Pitt 52.7 BVAL NCS
4. Liberty 48.5 BVAL NCS
10. Del Oro 38.6 SFL SJS

Yeah, I was looking at that earlier too. What confuses me is how DO is rated ahead of Antioch. Antioch has played a more diffcult SoS to this point and 2 of their wins top DO's best win.

Yeah, I was looking at that earlier too. What confuses me is how DO is rated ahead of Antioch. Antioch has played a more diffcult SoS to this point and 2 of their wins top DO's best win.

It’s Calpreps. Not the most accurate at ratings.

Reactions: ThunderRam
It’s Calpreps. Not the most accurate at ratings.

Yeah, but I thought their "formula" heavily weighted SoS and quality of opponent. Don't get me wrong, I'm an SFL/SJS first and foremost, but I also try to be unbiased. I think DO will prove to be much improved from the past couple seasons -- but right now they haven't accomplished more than Antioch in order to earn a higher rating IMO.

Yeah, but I thought their "formula" heavily weighted SoS and quality of opponent. Don't get me wrong, I'm an SFL/SJS first and foremost, but I also try to be unbiased. I think DO will prove to be much improved from the past couple seasons -- but right now they haven't accomplished more than Antioch in order to earn a higher rating IMO.

It takes in to account the pre season rating until the team plays 6 or so games.

It takes in to account the pre season rating until the team plays 6 or so games.

That's right. Now I recall @DLSPop1314 and others talking about that. Can't really take those ratings seriously until a good chunk of the season has been played. Then it gets more and more finely tuned with each subsequent game.

All it tells us right now is that Antioch was underrated heading into the season ;)

Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: bella123
Is Folsom in the SFL?
Of course they are. But SFL /SJS fans act like they are head and shoulders better, which is ABSOLUTELY untrue. And I’d like to see Folsom vs Pittsburg. Especially later in the year during NorCals, if that’s possible.

BVAL is the best league in norcal. Folsom is a top 3 team in NorCal. Could prove to be different as things unwind. The only way they would get a shot at DLS again is if someone knocks off DLS. Pitt has the talent, not sure it could be a repeat of 1992 just yet.

BVAL is the best league in norcal. Folsom is a top 3 team in NorCal. Could prove to be different as things unwind. The only way they would get a shot at DLS again is if someone knocks off DLS. Pitt has the talent, not sure it could be a repeat of 1992 just yet.

In 1992, DLS beat Pitt 41-6 in the finals. I think they’re trying for repeat of 1991.

Reactions: concrete17

2. Folsom 73.1 SFL SJS
3. Pitt 52.7 BVAL NCS
4. Liberty 48.5 BVAL NCS
10. Del Oro 38.6 SFL SJS

At this point that looks about right, except for Pitt. While they are probably top 10, I think 3 is a little high. I can look past the Centennial loss, but the CVC loss coupled with the CVC loss to Antioch has to count for something.

Monterey Trails is a bit of a surprise, but they are really good. They have played a solid preseason schedule while dominating everyone they have played. Their rating will take a hit as their league is terrible, but they do play a Southern Section team this week in Paraclete that won the D5 SS title last year.

Folsom vs Oak Ridge this week. While i don't think Folsom loses, I think it will be closer than most think it will be. Familiarity breeds contempt...

Reactions: observer22
At this point that looks about right, except for Pitt. While they are probably top 10, I think 3 is a little high. I can look past the Centennial loss, but the CVC loss coupled with the CVC loss to Antioch has to count for something.

Monterey Trails is a bit of a surprise, but they are really good. They have played a solid preseason schedule while dominating everyone they have played. Their rating will take a hit as their league is terrible, but they do play a Southern Section team this week in Paraclete that won the D5 SS title last year.

And Monterey Trail beat SRV pretty handily.

Of course they are. But SFL /SJS fans act like they are head and shoulders better, which is ABSOLUTELY untrue.

I think you're just remembering one specific fan. I think most other reasonable fans have been giving the BVAL due credit. I know I have.

And I’d like to see Folsom vs Pittsburg. Especially later in the year during NorCals, if that’s possible.

If Pitt can overcome their loss to CVC and run the table to an eventual close game against DLS, we may get that matchup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT