ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Championship Week!

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Championship Week

PCAL will have the DIII Champion, and will be the favorite in DII. It would have been nice to have a rep (Greenfield or North Salinas?) in DV for a chance in that section as well, but we know the CCS playoffs division placements can get odd. The worst we can do is to tie with WCAL for division crowns. 😉

Sat 11/25 Soquel (CA) vs Christopher (Gilroy, CA) at San Jose City College (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm CCS DII Championship-

Two years ago this would have been an all PCAL championship as well. Soquel dominated a good Monterey team last week 22-0. Truth be told since the Santa Cruz transfers became eligible, this is probably the best team in the Gabilan. I would pick them in a re-match with Salinas. Christopher has 2 great wins over Mitty and Menlo and seems to be playing their best football when it counts. But so is Soquel, I just don’t see how Christopher scores much on this defense. The Soquel running game is solid, and the qb is able to pass enough to keep teams honest or to burn them. Soquel 28-7

Fri 11/24 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm CCS D III Championship-

What a win by Alisal!!! The wet and muddy conditions at Scott’s Valley really favored Alisal’s ground it out offense. They were able to consistently stop the Falcons and put up 4 touchdowns. But now comes the big bully Palma, to stop them from their first ever CCS football title. Palma was able to control the line of scrimmage in their first meeting a 42-15 Palma victory. This was switched to a forfeit as Palma used an ineligible player. My understanding is the player had little to no influence on the outcome of the game. Is Alisal that much better now? Palma had their best win of the year up at Menlo Atherton, and like every other team still playing, seems to be playing their best more importantly most consistent football of the year.

I find it ironic for the past 30+ years Palma was far and away the most dominate program in the PCAL region. They no longer are, but for a program like Alisal that is who they have to beat. Hopefully Alisal believes they belong on that field with Palm. I think sometimes theses kids believe they don’t belong on the same field with these ‘hallowed” programs and already lose before the coin flip. (or after those annoying bagpipes) Hopefully Alisal, corrects their mistakes form the first game and out able to control the line of scrimmage. If I were a betting man I would take Palma and give you 10 points, but I don’t bet on High School Sports! Alisal earns their first CCS title. Alisal 29-28

Hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving!!!

@mrclarkinc you are right about the matchup on the outside. Alisal does not have a guy that cover him. But let’s be honest, dude has a DI scholarship, nobody in the PCAL has a guy to match him one on one. Defense will need to play together to stop him.
Alisal needs to control the tempo, they have the offense to do it. The question will be if Palma can stop them. Palma did it the first time.

But remember USSR beat the USA in hockey 10-3, before that faithful night in 1980.

More recently Giants lost 38-35 to Patriots before stopping the 18-0 team in the Super Bowl.

Plus Hickory High of “Hoosiers” fame.

It is much better story if Alisal wins. There is always a chance….

Ya I just think if you’re a Split Back Veer, Wing T, Double Wing etc team trying to pull off the upset, it’s much more likely to happen in the first matchup.
Alisal has done a great job to get where they are. They just have the misfortune of having to play a high D2 team, only in D3 due to forfeits.

I don't give Alisal much chance in this. Palma lines have looked very fast and physical last few games. That MA line was very big and physical and they had mobile QB that could pass to 6-7 D1 prospect WR and bruising RB. Palma defense won't be confused in this one and will be very tough for Alisal to stop Palma offense. Since Palma freshman Eli Dukes came up from frosh the 7th game of the season, he is has 97 carries for 698 yards and 10 rushing TDs (7.1 yards a carry) and is second leading scorer including 2 playoff games and they still have Molinari (RB and WR) and QB Nunes that can break one any time (Molinari and Nunes have lower division college offers) , and add Saldate (Notre Dame) whois leading scorer.

Palma has lots of weapons on offense and is now balanced and is faster than Alisal defense. Don't see Trojans being able to play 4 quarters with the Chieftains and game may be bigger spread than last time. If Palma turns it over it could be closer but I think Palma wins by at least 3 TDs. Palma won't run up the score, but Palma has too much speed for Alisal and Palma defense can defend the Veer. Calpreps spread may be generous in this one. It's also basically a home game for Palma since being played at Rabobank stadium and Palma was up 35-0 midway through the 3rd quarter last time.

Last edited:
I think Soquel should definitely be favored in its game. Question is will Soquel replace Aptos as king of the Santa Cruz area the next few years. With HoF coach Randy Blankenship retiring from the Mariners and looks like Soquel will have enough returning from this team next season that they could still stay very competitive at the top. Soquel frosh team was probably second best in their league overall although JV average. Looks like they could be competing for 2-3 next season (Salinas will be favorite and Palma will be down due to being young and needs a QB to emerge next season).

I think Soquel should definitely be favored in its game. Question is will Soquel replace Aptos as king of the Santa Cruz area the next few years. With HoF coach Randy Blankenship retiring from the Mariners and looks like Soquel will have enough returning from this team next season that they could still stay very competitive at the top. Soquel frosh team was probably second best in their league overall although JV average. Looks like they could be competing for 2-3 next season (Salinas will be favorite and Palma will be down due to being young and needs a QB to emerge next season).
The records are a little deceiving at the lower levels for us. Frosh team was 9-0 last year. This year’s frosh team lost their best player (better than Dukes) before the year started to injury And a few top frosh players played JV.
As for the JV level, 9 Sophomores are starting on Varsity.
Within the county everyone knows that the power has shifted.

The records are a little deceiving at the lower levels for us. Frosh team was 9-0 last year. This year’s frosh team lost their best player (better than Dukes) before the year started to injury And a few top frosh players played JV.
As for the JV level, 9 Sophomores are starting on Varsity.
Within the county everyone knows that the power has shifted.
I don't know about better than Dukes. LOL

Dukes isn't just about speed (although he is fast) and size (although not small and will fill out). He cuts on a dime and has lateral escape speed, is patient and finds holes, and also runs downhill and tough to tackle. Best RB at Palma ever I have seen at this stage (and clearly a good varsity RB at this stage) and going to get better and a lot physically stronger if he stays healthy. He was playing WR/RB on the frosh team (reason # in the 80s) and moved to RB exclusively on varristy (kept 80s #). He was out in the Soquel frosh game on varsity with 9 carries for 54 yards (Palma defeated Soquel 14-6 and Palma's frosh strength is its defense). Palma's other frosh RB is another to watch. He needs to get a little bigger and stronger. Dukes is already on the recruiting radar. We'll see how things go. Palma should be down this upcoming season but will start rebound after that. Jambos are not a very good indicator of teams most of the time. They are glorified practice where teams are working things out especially freshmen players many who have only been playing contact football a few weeks. Yes you can see some talent but mostly teams are working things out.

Dukes isn't just about speed (although he is fast) and size (although not small and will fill out). He cuts on a dime and has lateral escape speed, is patient and finds holes, and also runs downhill and tough to tackle. Best RB at Palma ever I have seen at this stage (and clearly a good varsity RB at this stage) and going to get better and a lot physically stronger if he stays healthy. He was playing WR/RB on the frosh team (reason # in the 80s) and moved to RB exclusively on varristy (kept 80s #). He was out in the Soquel frosh game on varsity with 9 carries for 54 yards (Palma defeated Soquel 14-6 and Palma's frosh strength is its defense). Palma's other frosh RB is another to watch. He needs to get a little bigger and stronger. Dukes is already on the recruiting radar. We'll see how things go. Palma should be down this upcoming season but will start rebound after that. Jambos are not a very good indicator of teams most of the time. They are glorified practice where teams are working things out especially freshmen players many who have only been playing contact football a few weeks. Yes you can see some talent but mostly teams are working things out.
Oh I know how good Dukes is. Coached against him. I had his final line at 11-40 vs us fwiw.

Kid i’m talking about is 5’9” 200 lbs w/ ++ speed and agility. He was coming to varsity after the Jambo but got hurt.

Whatever you think of Dukes, add 30 lbs to him with no skill level drop off and you got this kid.

Oh I know how good Dukes is. Coached against him. I had his final line at 11-40 vs us fwiw.

Kid i’m talking about is 5’9” 200 lbs w/ ++ speed and agility. He was coming to varsity after the Jambo but got hurt.

Whatever you think of Dukes, add 30 lbs to him with no skill level drop off and you got this kid.
Not just skill level.

I have the Soquel roster. Name and number? By the way - great. Will make for great contests over the next few years. Salinas Cowboys will be a handful over the next couple years and Monterey should reload pretty well next season. Palma looks to be down, but slight chance of surprise but will need to reload at QB. Hollister is Hollister. Aptos probably down.

I used Mbaypreps line for Soquel game...owner is a Palma coach (not football)

He’s going to make us wait until next year to find out who this 200lb sub 4.5 15 year old kid is.
He’s going to make us wait until next year to find out who this 200lb sub 4.5 15 year old kid is.
I have the Soquel roster. Name and number?
He’s not on it. Got injured at Freshman Jambo. Maverick Muse.
I’ve been coaching for 17 years coached a ton of tremendous athletes. He might be the best. Best way to describe him is “terrifying.”

Not sub 4.5. lol

I’d say Dukes is prob 4.7 on a laser which is very fast for a freshman. Kid’s gonna be a stud for sure.
Coach Lowery is definitely building a powerhouse. They are getting top notch talent coming into that school. The freshman and soph class have some very good players. Didnt you guys lose your best soph this year to transfer?

Ya, Dwight has been tremendous. The time he puts in is incredible.

Ya, his brother coaches at Mitty, family all went there. So he decided to join the family.

Coach Lowery is definitely building a powerhouse. They are getting top notch talent coming into that school. The freshman and soph class have some very good players. Didnt you guys lose your best soph this year to transfer?
I would say tho our BEST sophmore is actually our V QB. The kid that transferred is a tremendous RB. But Whelan is a football genius. Think he could be Gab MVP next year.

Unfortunately he seems to be injury prone. They look like a very strong class. Are all the Seahawks on Soquel. I think the soph QB that played on varsity is very. good. Could develop into D1 player. https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2...football-team-wins-pop-warner-super-bowl/amp/
Ya, I was the Head Coach of that team. Unfortunately he’s had some bad injury luck, but man, wait til you see him in action. Just sheer carnage in his wake.

We have like 15 or so kids from that team. 1 went to De La Salle. 1 to Mitty. 1 is an 8th grader. 1 moved to Hollister but played V this year for MVC. Rest spread throughout the county.

Yep. Dukes probably 4.7 which he is listed at but he has exceptional lateral quickness and quick cut and reads hole and field well. Not sure how much he will improve but should some and he has football speed. Saldate on Palma is fast. He trained in track and improved a lot especially in long jump as #2 in CA. If Dukes runs track, he should improve. He has upside.

I would say tho our BEST sophmore is actually our V QB. The kid that transferred is a tremendous RB. But Whelan is a football genius. Think he could be Gab MVP next year.
Would agree with that 100%. Good looking kid that was probably underutilized this year guessing due to age and other talent on the team. Appears to have a very high ceiling!

Ya, I was the Head Coach of that team. Unfortunately he’s had some bad injury luck, but man, wait til you see him in action. Just sheer carnage in his wake.

We have like 15 or so kids from that team. 1 went to De La Salle. 1 to Mitty. 1 is an 8th grader. 1 moved to Hollister but played V this year for MVC. Rest spread throughout the county.
I remember the Oak Grove team that won the Pop Warner National Title. When they hit highschool- most of the players went to Oak Grove and some Valley Christian. That Pop Warner program was a great feeder program to Oak Grove High. They were a much stronger program in those days. Don't believe that the juniors and seniors from that Pop Warner championship team won playoff championships at Oak Grove or VC. I think that Pop Warner program was a National Power for many years.

Reactions: FBAddict
Ya, age and the fact our defense has been so dominant.
Would agree with that 100%. Good looking kid that was probably underutilized this year guessing due to age and other talent on the team. Appears to have a very high ceiling!
I remember the Oak Grove team that won the Pop Warner National Title. When they hit highschool- most of the players went to Oak Grove and some Valley Christian. That Pop Warner program was a great feeder program to Oak Grove High. They were a much stronger program in those days. Don't believe that the juniors and seniors from that Pop Warner championship team won playoff championships at Oak Grove or VC. I think that Pop Warner program was a National Power for many years.
Ya, I used to play against those OG programs and coached against them toward the end of their run.
There’s still some of that. Wilcox has a good pipeline. Los Gatos. But lately the top youth tackle teams are feeding the private schools.

The teams up north are the ones that really have loyal feeders tho. It’s a massive advantage if you have it. Our PW program feeds the whole county. Just happens that year was a lot of Soquel kids. Sometimes it’s Santa Cruz, sometimes Aptos.

Reactions: FBAddict
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT