ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Hi 2020 rankings

1. St. John Bosco (Bellflower) 13-1
In all of the previous years of the Bosco-Mater Dei era of dominance — we’re on year five coming up — we’ve handled those teams in the preseason the same way and it doesn’t make sense to change now. The team that is the defending state champion is first and the other team is second. The two are likely going to play twice once again in 2020 so where they’re ranked really doesn’t matter. The team that wins the second game in the CIF Southern Section Division I championship is then likely going to win the CIF Open Division state title and that is it. Bosco loses Mr. Football State Player of the Year D.J. Uiagalelei at quarterback plus a number of other top players. There are plenty of others loaded up with major college D1 offers all waiting to step up, though, so there’s no indication that there will be much of a drop.

Beaux-Collins-200.jpg

Beaux Collins is a big-time WR prospect off of this year’s team at St. John Bosco. Photo: reviewjournal.com.

2. Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 13-1
Based on transfers such as RB/WR Raleek Brown, the junior from Edison of Stockton, and QB Miller Moss, the USC commit from Alemany of Mission Hills who had his transfer announced within the last few days, it’s easy to see why Mater Dei might be ranked higher in the preseason than St. John Bosco. Again, though, it doesn’t matter when the two are likely going to play twice. Moss has multiple returning standouts he can go to in addition to Brown, including wideouts Kyron Ware-Hudson (senior) and C.J. Williams (junior). He still isn’t as highly rated as a prospect as graduated Bryce Young and he’ll have far less time working with all of the new players than if he’d checked into the school with the usual spring football. Mater Dei also will have highly regarded players in the secondary and at linebacker.

3. De La Salle (Concord) 12-2
Head coach Jason Alumbaugh got to work out with his players this week (wearing his UCLA Bruins mask) and it should be another year in which the Spartans figure to be the class of Northern California. They usually have had their best teams with an experienced quarterback and they’ll have one with three-year starter Dorian Hale. Lu-Magia Hearns also returns as a deep threat receiver plus some of the younger players — like upcoming junior RB-DB Zeke Barry — are already getting D1 offers. The first major question regarding the team will be if it goes ahead and takes a trip to Houston to face Texas powerhouse North Shore for the first game on Aug. 29. At this point, it’s hard to see a bunch of high school kids crowding onto a plane to play a game in Texas. On the other hand, Texas probably isn’t going to have as many restrictions on such a game if it was scheduled in the Bay Area.

Wow. They have Folsom dropping off significantly. I would think Valley Christian would be in there ahead of MA.

Here's a scheduling note: Half Moon Bay will play Serra, Pittsburg and M-A in 2020. When you add in teams like Salinas, Sacred Heart Prep and King's Academy, you could argue that this will be, by far, the toughest slate of games ever for the Coastside school of 1,000 youngsters and varsity football rosters that rarely exceed three dozen kids.

Looks like they think Clayton will improve on their last place EBAL Mountain finish a year ago. There will be no D2 avenue this season, if there is one.

Reactions: THEOC89
Wow. They have Folsom dropping off significantly. I would think Valley Christian would be in there ahead of MA.

Folsom didn’t click very well to end the season and they had tons of talent. It will be interesting to see how Patu does leading the team. He may explode an open up a lot of eyes. Folsom still has a pretty good arsenal of weapons. OR has a better “team” returning but I worry about there overall speed against top tier comp. hopefully we get to see them battle for sfl.

Folsom had the single best decade of dominance of any public school in the state. I would expect it to level out at some point, especially with the coaching changes. Everyone is cyclical.

I would put CC10 over Folsom due to their success being against way stiffer competition and not being afraid to schedule up
I would disagree on that.

A few key points:
1. Cen10 has no state titles (Folsom has 4, across multiple divisions)
2. Cen10 has 2-3 top 20 national teams in their backyard every year (pretty convenient for "scheduling up.")
3. Cen10 has never left Southern Ca for a game.
4. Cen10 is forced to play many of the elite SoCal teams due to playoff placement. They do not schedule these teams regularly- although they have before.
5. Cen10s biggest "out of area" game was against Pittsburgh High, to which they negotiated a 2 year, no travel deal. Bizarre at best, but let's go with it!
6. Cen10 lost at home last season against a program that Folsom has beat multiple times.

Overall the body of work is very similar. Very impressive, I might add, as both being public schools. They both mop the floor with smaller privates in lets say- NorCal. Many apples to oranges comparisons, simply based on population and region. Lots of argubale points.

Overall win goes to: Folsom by a bit.

Best public in Ca over the last decade. Top 5 in the state for the last decade for all schools.

I would put Centennial over Folsom as well. Similar but Folsom wouldn't fair well in Socal playoffs either and only does in Norcal when they don't face DLS

Reactions: THEOC89 and MC415
I would put Centennial over Folsom as well. Similar but Folsom wouldn't fair well in Socal playoffs either and only does in Norcal when they don't face DLS
A fun little fact- Folsom's playoff record against SoCal teams is actually better than that of Cen10. May be an apples to oranges comparison, but it is a fact. I also believe Cen10 should take some heat for never traveling outside SoCal....ever. While Folsom also takes some heat for scheduling. Now, are the teams they are playing equivalent? Maybe not. But it should be said that the stellar comp that Cen10 faces in SoCal is generally not scheduled. They are forced playoff games, due to the D1 playoff structure in the South. Should Folsom be penalized because those same teams are not in their own backyard? I wouldn't think so.

If you take a solid look at both teams "scheduled games," meaning, "non playoff games," Folsom has actually scheduled better over the past decade. The fact that Cen10 has NEVER left the arena of Southern CA ensures they lose a few points in this argument right off the top.

In all fairness, Cen10 scheduled MD last year. A huge feat. But a quick look at the history of this shows they actually fought to play a number of other teams that didn't work out because they were unwilling to travel outside of SoCal. They publicly and privately stated this. So was this a legit "scheduled, wanted game?" Highly suspect in my opinion. And losing at home to a middle tier Cathedral team who got blown out against mid tier Helix last year, sealed the deal in that argument. Folsom has beaten Cathedral twice- both in SoCal. Heck, one game was even a regular season, non-league game, where Folsom traveled to San Diego. Imagine Cen10 traveling....ever.

Folsom is undefeated against SoCal teams all time and in playoff action. Cen10 cannot say that, although there is a bigger sample size. Still relevant.

Cen10 and Folsom really only have two recent common opponents in DLS (both lost), and Cathedral (Folsom beat twice, Cen10 lost at home).

Saying Folsom "only" does well in the playoffs when they don't face DLS is pretty disingenuous at best, as the same thing can be said for every single other NorCal team for the past 30 years. That is minimizing a decade of dominance in the SJS, NorCal, and even on the national stage on a few years- 2014, 2017-2018. NorCal has never had a public school with the stature of Folsom and most likely never will. Rarely in CA does a public school ever overshadow 99.9 percent of public schools and nearly every public school. People weren't happy about it. Still doesn't make it disappear.

Slight edge overall- Folsom

Last edited:
They both were amazing the past decade. Every year it was like watching a college team play. Most years double digit d1 guys. You can’t penalize centennial for being in SoCal and Folsom really had to travel to play better comp because it wasn’t up here. (Except DLS)

Reactions: THEOC89
I would disagree on that.

A few key points:
1. Cen10 has no state titles (Folsom has 4, across multiple divisions)
2. Cen10 has 2-3 top 20 national teams in their backyard every year (pretty convenient for "scheduling up.")
3. Cen10 has never left Southern Ca for a game.
4. Cen10 is forced to play many of the elite SoCal teams due to playoff placement. They do not schedule these teams regularly- although they have before.
5. Cen10s biggest "out of area" game was against Pittsburgh High, to which they negotiated a 2 year, no travel deal. Bizarre at best, but let's go with it!
6. Cen10 lost at home last season against a program that Folsom has beat multiple times.

Overall the body of work is very similar. Very impressive, I might add, as both being public schools. They both mop the floor with smaller privates in lets say- NorCal. Many apples to oranges comparisons, simply based on population and region. Lots of argubale points.

Overall win goes to: Folsom by a bit.

Best public in Ca over the last decade. Top 5 in the state for the last decade for all schools.

If you’re going to go to the trouble of a lengthy comparison, your opinion might have more weight if you used factual information. Your first “point” is false. Centennial has beaten De La Salle for a state championship 21-16, in 2009 while Folsom has never come close to beating DLS.

CentennialDe La Salle
Huskies
Spartans
The De La Salle (Concord, CA) varsity football team lost Friday's neutral playoff game against Centennial (Corona, CA) by a score of 21-16.

Game Details: Cal State Dominguez Hills [Home Depot Center]

Your “points 4-6” are incorrect as well. Centennial schedules the toughest competition of any public program. They regularly schedule the top programs in the county like Mater Dei in the regular season, and then must face them again in the playoffs. They have beaten Mater Dei and St. John Bosco multiple times, and scheduled top national programs like Bishop Gorman and IMG. Also, Cen10 did not lose at home to a common opponent. Folsom has never scheduled any top program other than DLS, and avoided DLS to pad their path to the playoffs. Lastly, Max Preps disagrees with you too. Centennial is the top public program of the last decade.

Top 20 dominant California high school football programs of last decade
While Southern California powers Mater Dei and St. John Bosco have ruled the last four season, Northern California juggernaut De La Salle is the most dominant over the last decade.

1. De La Salle (Concord) (828)
State championships
: 2010 (Open), 2011 (Open), 2012 (Open), 2014 (Open), 2015 (Open)
State runner-up: 2013 (Open), 2016 (Open), 2017 (Open), 2018 (Open), 2019 (Open)
State Top 25: 2010 (1), 2011 (1), 2012 (1), 2013 (2), 2014 (1), 2015 (1), 2016 (5), 2017 (5), 2018 (3), 2019 (3)
Nationally ranked: 2010 (1), 2011 (3), 2012 (1), 2013 (6), 2014 (1), 2015 (1), 2016 (24), 2017 (15), 2018 (4), 2019 (13)

2. St. John Bosco (Bellflower) (617)
State championships: 2013 (Open), 2016 (Open), 2019 (Open)
State runner-up: N/A
State Top 25: 2011 (13), 2012 (5), 2013 (1), 2014 (4), 2015 (3), 2016 (1), 2017 (2), 2018 (2), 2019 (1)
Nationally ranked: 2012 (23), 2013 (1), 2014 (19), 2015 (4), 2016 (2), 2017 (3), 2018 (2), 2019 (1)

3. Centennial (Corona) (569)
State championships: N/A
State runner-up: 2010 (I), 2012 (Open), 2014 (Open), 2015 (Open)
State Top 25: 2010 (5), 2011 (11), 2012 (2), 2013 (6), 2014 (3), 2015 (2), 2016 (3), 2017 (4), 2018 (5), 2019 (5)
Nationally ranked: 2010 (2), 2012 (13), 2014 (9), 2015 (2), 2016 (8), 2017 (12), 2018 (9), 2019 (20)

4. Mater Dei (Santa Ana) (501)
State championships: 2017 (Open), 2018 (Open)
State Top 25: 2010 (17), 2012 (8), 2013 (3), 2014 (6), 2015 (2), 2016 (2), 2017 (1), 2018 (1), 2019 (2)
Nationally ranked: 2013 (10), 2015 (17), 2016 (3), 2017 (1), 2018 (1), 2019 (2)

5. Folsom (412)
State championships: 2019 (II), 2014 (1), 2017 (1AA), 2018 (1AA)
State Top 25: 2010 (2), 2012 (16), 2013 (8), 2014 (2), 2015 (8), 2016 (15), 2017 (3), 2018 (4), 2019 )23)
Nationally ranked: 2010 (5), 2014 (5), 2017 (8), 2018 (7)

6. Mission Viejo (337)
State championships: 2015 (I-AA)
State runner-up: NA
State Top 25: 2010 (6) 2011 (7), 2012 (10), 2013 (7), 2014 (12), 2015 (4), 2016 (8), 2017 (6), 2018 (8), 2019 (6)
Nationally ranked: 2010 (23), 2015 (10), 2017 (17), 2019 (23)

7. Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita) (147)
State championships: 2011 (I)
State Top 25: 2010 (10), 2011 (2), 2012 (12), 2014 (24), 2016 (12), 2017 (10)
Nationally ranked: 2011 (10)
8. Narbonne (Harbor City) (139)
State championships: 2015 (I-A), 2017 (I-A)
State Top 25: 2011 (22), 2012 (3), 2015 (25), 2016 (23), 2017 (9), 2019 (8)
Nationally ranked: 2012 (18)

9. Serra (Gardena) (136)
State championships: 2012 (II)
State runner-up: 2010 (II)
State Top 25: 2010 (12), 2012 (6), 2013 (11), 2014 (11), 2015 (11), 2016 (25)
Nationally ranked: 2012 (25)

10. Helix (La Mesa) (130)
State championships: 2011 (11)
State runner-up: 2016 (Open), 2017 (1AA)
State Top 25: 2011 (6), 2013 (25), 2014 (15), 2015 (7), 2016 (20), 2017 (7), 2019 (12)
Nationally ranked: N/A

Your first “point” is false. Centennial has beaten De La Salle for a state championship 21-16, in 2009 while Folsom has never come close to beating DLS.
If you go back and actually read what I wrote in my analysis, I reference the last decade multiple times. That goes back to 2010. Going back to 2008 was not part of my argument, as it was 12 years ago, and prior to Folsom's rise to dominance in the SJS and 99.9 percent of NorCal. My argument was correct as Cen10 has not beaten DLS in the last decade.

Centennial schedules the toughest competition of any public program.
Suspect argument at best. As I stated in my first argument, Cen10 has 3 to 4 top national teams in their own back yard every year. Are these scheduled games due to convenience or actually wanting to play the top teams? Because they they have been offered games against other "top national teams" away from SoCal, they have publicly and privately declined...every single offer. As I stated before, disingenuous at best.

Also, Cen10 did not lose at home to a common opponent.
They lost to Cathedral Catholic of San Diego last year, at home. Folsom has beaten Cathedral twice. Both in SoCal. You can argue these were different years, but above you also wanted to use a 2008 game as evidence to win an argument. So, I think my argument about the common opponent is more than valid, considering the close proximity in years. It is also worth mentioning that the same Cathedral team that beat Cen10 at home last season, got pasted by a mediocre San Diego Helix team in the weeks after. Not exactly top 10 material.

Folsom has never scheduled any top program other than DLS
Another disingenuous argument. You lose the argument automatically when you state- "so and so has never scheduled anyone, EXCEPT..." Already shows the bias in your argument. You can argue schedules all day long....and rightfully so. But at least Folsom has left NorCal...willingly.

Lastly, Max Preps disagrees with you too
Lastly, I don't agree with the criteria they used. Most dominant, yet producing ZERO state titles this decade? They're last and only title was in 2008, which was outside of the "the last decade." Not exactly dominant, as they lost every single shot they had at a title...and they had lots. You can argue competition, and maybe rightfully so, but Folsom has never lost in a SBG or to any SoCal team for that matter.

For the record: I believe both programs are top notch and glad to have both in CA. I think comparing them is hard. Most of the comparisons, schedule wise are apples to oranges, based on location, population, and other factors. I think both are two of the top programs in all of the US, factoring in the last decade.

Slight edge- Folsom Bulldogs

LOL @ Folsom dude making up phony data to support his homerism. Cen10 has willingly scheduled the top programs in the country while Folsom actively avoids DLS in the playoffs and gets whacked when they actually play. Folsom does not challenge themselves with a competitive schedule and it showed last year in the playoffs and when they almost lost to “powerhouse “ Edison and were smoked by something-something Trail. LOL. Folsom is on the decline so he needs to talk about past history. Folsom Guy “disagrees” with Max Preps ranking criteria and thinks he won a debate. LOL. Okay. Folsom always wins the games they never played...

LOL @ Folsom dude making up phony data to support his homerism. Cen10 has willingly scheduled the top programs in the country while Folsom actively avoids DLS in the playoffs and gets whacked when they actually play. Folsom does not challenge themselves with a competitive schedule and it showed last year in the playoffs and when they almost lost to “powerhouse “ Edison and were smoked by something-something Trail. LOL. Folsom is on the decline so he needs to talk about past history. Folsom Guy “disagrees” with Max Preps ranking criteria and thinks he won a debate. LOL. Okay. Folsom always wins the games they never played...
MONTEREY Trail. Just clarifying.

And it was more of a "choke out" than a smoking. 39 minutes time of possession. Three yards and a spray of recycled rubber tire bits. Over and over and over again.

This isn’t even a debate
Centennial willingness to challenge themselves against the best this country has to offer makes them a significantly higher program than #Folsomrule.
Let’s not forget besides multiple games against BG and IMG at the height of their success they also scheduled Perennial national power Chandler four or five years in a row and were going to play SFA this year.
The most telling fact of all though is when the Southern Section put them in the toughest playoff division in the country they didn’t whine to their commissioner about how unfair it was like Folsom did.Thats all you really need to know about the two programs

MONTEREY Trail. Just clarifying.

And it was more of a "choke out" than a smoking. 39 minutes time of possession. Three yards and a spray of recycled rubber tire bits. Over and over and over again.

Absolutely and not to take anything away from MT. They were a very good team. Following week played epic game against oak ridge but came up short. And oak ridge end of season went from a good team earlier in season to a great one. That central game was one of best HS games I’ve seen. Central went on to cruise past Sierra Canyon in finals.

CC schedule speaks for itself. Different animal.

Wow, looks like a struck quite the cord on this forum. Interesting seeing NorCal posters lose it, and go nuts trying to explain why a SoCal team is better. Tough look.

My simple reasoning is this:
1. Folsom has 4 state titles this decade. Impressive in any division, let alone multiple.
2. Folsom is undefeated against SoCal competition. State Bowl games and regular season.
3. Folsom has traveled outside of NorCal. Cen10 has not...ever. Although this is not a huge determining factor, Cen10 does lose a few points in this close match up.
4. Cen10 has not won a title this decade. The only title they ever won was in 2008, 12 years ago, in a down year overall for the CIF.

Simply stating one team is better than another based on what playoff division they are placed in due to travel proximity is a disingenuous argument at best.

Being the #2 most dominating public school in CA over the last decade is no slight to either school, depending on opinion. I would honestly be honored. Tough state to do it in either way you slice it.

I will say that I'd much rather be Folsom or Cen10, being argued about on local forums. It could be worse. You could always be a small private/public, battling it out on Saturdays, in D4, against small coastal teams, where nobody cares. That would such.

Slight edge- Folsom

The word "sack" is missing off those 4 state title rings. Since Folsom has such powerful lobbying power in the South, maybe all the Southern Section Commissioners can band together again and vote unanimously to add the word to rings? Wouldn't be the first time. I think it would be sexy- especially for all you SoCal guys, anonymously trolling NorCal forums.

Since the Southern Section is so good at lobbying section commissioners to all unanimously vote to change rules, maybe Cen10 should grow a sack and get them all on board. That way they won't have to get curb stomped in the playoffs every year. (for the record- I actually feel for Cen10. They are playing against teams with an unfair advantage and a different set of rules...not their fault).

This was every so evident (playoff beatings taking a toll) last year when they got beat at home to a team from the San Diego section (who Folsom beat twice, both in SoCal). That team turned around and got obliterated by another San Diego team in the following weeks. Not a good look.

As a manly man, I'd much rather compare rings than "sacks." But hey, that's just me! :)

We should all be grateful. The top tier CA teams are something to be proud of. National exposure, great athletes, great competition. Being the top tier in CA means you don't have to be slugging it out with the little guys on Saturdays, at a small field, in front of a few hundred mom and pops. We should be grateful!

Last edited:
If you go back and actually read what I wrote in my analysis, I reference the last decade multiple times. That goes back to 2010. Going back to 2008 was not part of my argument, as it was 12 years ago, and prior to Folsom's rise to dominance in the SJS and 99.9 percent of NorCal. My argument was correct as Cen10 has not beaten DLS in the last decade.

Suspect argument at best. As I stated in my first argument, Cen10 has 3 to 4 top national teams in their own back yard every year. Are these scheduled games due to convenience or actually wanting to play the top teams? Because they they have been offered games against other "top national teams" away from SoCal, they have publicly and privately declined...every single offer. As I stated before, disingenuous at best.

They lost to Cathedral Catholic of San Diego last year, at home. Folsom has beaten Cathedral twice. Both in SoCal. You can argue these were different years, but above you also wanted to use a 2008 game as evidence to win an argument. So, I think my argument about the common opponent is more than valid, considering the close proximity in years. It is also worth mentioning that the same Cathedral team that beat Cen10 at home last season, got pasted by a mediocre San Diego Helix team in the weeks after. Not exactly top 10 material.

Another disingenuous argument. You lose the argument automatically when you state- "so and so has never scheduled anyone, EXCEPT..." Already shows the bias in your argument. You can argue schedules all day long....and rightfully so. But at least Folsom has left NorCal...willingly.

Lastly, I don't agree with the criteria they used. Most dominant, yet producing ZERO state titles this decade? They're last and only title was in 2008, which was outside of the "the last decade." Not exactly dominant, as they lost every single shot they had at a title...and they had lots. You can argue competition, and maybe rightfully so, but Folsom has never lost in a SBG or to any SoCal team for that matter.

For the record: I believe both programs are top notch and glad to have both in CA. I think comparing them is hard. Most of the comparisons, schedule wise are apples to oranges, based on location, population, and other factors. I think both are two of the top programs in all of the US, factoring in the last decade.

Slight edge- Folsom Bulldogs
These are rankings looking forward. How did you turn this into a past decade discussion? We all saw the drop off with Folsom last year and it wasn’t in the talent level. Close games with teams they had historically beat by a large margin. This year you probably do see a talent drop off in addition to coaching downgrade which would put Folsom firmly below Centennial. Prior to last year I would have been good with putting Folsom ahead.

A fun little fact- Folsom's playoff record against SoCal teams is actually better than that of Cen10.

It is beyond disingenuous to compare the San Diego teams that Folsom has been playing vs the Southern Section D-I teams that Centennial must face.

May be an apples to oranges comparison...

Very much so.

I also believe Cen10 should take some heat for never traveling outside SoCal....ever.

You would also be incorrect. Centennial had a series with Clovis West from Fresno.

While Folsom also takes some heat for scheduling. Now, are the teams they are playing equivalent? Maybe not. But it should be said that the stellar comp that Cen10 faces in SoCal is generally not scheduled. They are forced playoff games, due to the D1 playoff structure in the South.

If you take a solid look at both teams "scheduled games," meaning, "non playoff games," Folsom has actually scheduled better over the past decade.

Were the games against IMG "forced"? Bishop Gorman ring a bell? Has Folsom agreed to play any significant out-of-state competition?

The fact that Cen10 has NEVER left the arena of Southern CA ensures they lose a few points in this argument right off the top.

You're living in a different reality if you think Folsom should receive more credit for traveling to play Chaminade than Centennial for hosting Bishop Gorman.

In all fairness, Cen10 scheduled MD last year. A huge feat.

It wasn't the first time.

Or the second.

Or the third.

A huge feat? Not really.

But a quick look at the history of this shows they actually fought to play a number of other teams that didn't work out because they were unwilling to travel outside of SoCal.

Kind of like Folsom when Centennial challenged them for 2020?

Imagine Cen10 traveling....ever.

Again, they've been to Fresno multiple times.

Folsom is undefeated against SoCal teams all time and in playoff action. Cen10 cannot say that, although there is a bigger sample size. Still relevant.

Claiming Folsom's SoCal competition has been anywhere near that of Centennial's is on a Trump level of dishonesty.

Cen10 and Folsom really only have two recent common opponents in DLS (both lost), and Cathedral (Folsom beat twice, Cen10 lost at home).

1. The Centennial-Cathedral Catholic game was on the road.

2. If a team loses to someone in one year, but beats someone else in a different year... this means something? Anything?

That is minimizing a decade of dominance in the SJS, NorCal, and even on the national stage on a few years- 2014, 2017-2018.

What "national" teams did Folsom beat in 2014, 2017, or 2018?

At the end of the day, Centennial would beat Folsom about 8 times out of 10.

Strong edge, Huskies.

It is beyond disingenuous to compare the San Diego teams that Folsom has been playing vs the Southern Section D-I teams that Centennial must face.
Interesting considering Cathedral, a team Folsom has beaten twice, just beat Cen10 AT HOME last year. I think the comparison is fair. San Diego teams get more flack then they deserve due to some of the Southern bias you are well aware of. Don't feed into it.

You would also be incorrect. Centennial had a series with Clovis West from Fresno.
Completely disingenuous if you want to use Fresno has an arguing point for Cen10 traveling. They have been a member or the north and south at different points. Terrible argument.

Were the games against IMG "forced"? Bishop Gorman ring a bell? Has Folsom agreed to play any significant out-of-state competition?
I actually agree with part of this point. I think they should get credit for playing these teams. They also get minus a few points for refusing to travel...ever. They do get some kudo bars for convincing these teams to travel to them without doing the same in return. I think you would agree.

It wasn't the first time.
It was not the first time, correct. But is this due to pure proximity or a willingness to really play? Would they schedule MD if MD was located in Texas or Ohio? Not a chance. You can't argue a point without context.

Kind of like Folsom when Centennial challenged them for 2020?
You mean when Folsom offered a similar deal as they did to DLS? 2 year, 1 home and 1 away. The same challenge and Cen10 declined and stated "no travel." That was the end of that. Folsom has traveled to SoCal a few times over the past decade to take on multiple teams, at the request of those teams, with ZERO return for a NorCal home game. Fair? Bias? You tell me.

Again, they've been to Fresno multiple times.
Again- I can't possibly take you serious if you are going to be disingenuous for anonymous "likes" on a HS football forum.

Claiming Folsom's SoCal competition has been anywhere near that of Centennial's is on a Trump level of dishonesty.
I already gave you a comparison above. But I will also concede that Cen10 HAS overall been able to schedule better teams? But out of what? Convenience? It all matters in context. The only recent common opponent was Cathedral, in which Folsom beat (in SoCal again), and Cen10 lost to (at home). It is all relevant in context.

2. If a team loses to someone in one year, but beats someone else in a different year... this means something? Anything?
It does. It is used daily by many of the same posters on this very forum. In fact, someone tried to use a 2008 championship in context for their argument. Awful, but it was used. In teams that reside in opposite parts of the biggest state in the union, sometimes all we have to go off of is what we have. 1 year apart, 90 percent of the same team that Folsom beat, wen't on to beat Cen10 AT HOME. Relevancy box checked.

What "national" teams did Folsom beat in 2014, 2017, or 2018?
Considering Folsom has nationally ranked all three of those years, it wouldn't be hard to find this information But what for? Are you defining "national teams" as ONLY top 10? Top 20? Top 50? Top 100? Based on your weak arguments above, you are likely to move the goal posts to fit your agenda.

2010-2020 Folsom beats Cen10 6-7 times out of time.

Slight edge- NorCal's own Folsom

who flipping cares
These kids and parents sure seemed to care during this play. (see below) Also of note- that same team beat Cen10 at home last year.

Always remember-the opinion of anonymous users on forums is the 1%. Does NOT represent the true facts, feelings, or beliefs of everyone following this beautiful game.

No one outside of Folsom cares....No one remembers 2nd place....taking a picture of 2nd place Folsom taunting the other team shows what they were made of......what did Folsom win???? not the prestigious "OPEN". That's the game people will talk about in ten years......not the everyone gets a trophy place.......now go back under your rock, it has been nice with out all your nonsense....

The only one that counts is the "OPEN" the rest of them don't count.....D1 TO D5.....who flipping cares.....Folsom has NEVER won an "open".......and they never will......

WWHHS44......get your point but next to the Folsom Sybil I have to add Les Schwab and Willemina (Willie) Orozco to the list of flipping Care Bears....
-Crete17

There are six California teams in MaxPreps top 26 preseason rankings
5 play in one playoff division and the winner gets to play the other California team for the open championship
This is what Folsom tucked tail and ran from
THATS all we need to know

Reactions: THEOC89 and MC415
There are six California teams in MaxPreps top 26 preseason rankings
5 play in one playoff division and the winner gets to play the other California team for the open championship
This is what Folsom tucked tail and ran from
THATS all we need to know

Mr. Pasty is the same Folsom guy whose been banned more times than most can count. He scores the Folsom games on MaxPreps, but ignores any MaxPreps data that he didn’t actually type. LOL.;)

After Cen10 lost at home at Cathedral (who Folsom beat twice), we now know why they didn't want to travel up north to face the Big Blue machine.

In the last decade, Cen10 has been not won one state title, while Folsom has racked up 4.

That is why Cen10 ducked travel and ran!

"It's easy to brag about playing all the top competition when they are all in your backyard." When it came time to lay the wood on the trash talking public school from up north, they ran and ducked for cover in the heat of Corona.

Slight edge- Folsom

Thought I'd throw some numbers out for everyone to see over the last decade. Mainly because I'm bored and I enjoy the back and forth so far. So I tried to give a year by year run down on what I believe are the top 3 public schools in the California. I know a lot of people are focusing on Folsom and Centennial but for good measure I added Mission Viejo to spice up the conversation. I will go year by year with win/lose record, key wins, and define each lose by who and what that teams overall record was and there end of the year ranking. Because some feel privates have an advantage I included all wins by M.V and CC over privates as a "key win" regardless of overall record of the private school they beat starting in 2014 when most seem to identify that time frame as when the super recruiting in the southern section kicked into high gear. Again I was bored. It's summer school and things are a little dead around the campus. I used an asterisk to identify common opponents between teams with a plus or minus depending on win vs lose. I am not picking sides just giving somewhat of a visual reference. Personally I think all three teams were impressive this decade and should be proud.

Folsom 14-1 State Champs
KW- Vacaville 10-2, Buhach Colony 12-1, Pleasant Grove 13-1, Grant 13-1,Serra 14-1
Lose- Grant 13-1 #121

CC 14-1
KW- Mater Dei 8-5 *(+31), Vista Murrieta 13-2, Norco 9-3, Chino Hills 10-3
Lose- Palo Alto 14-0 #13

MV 13-1
KW- Bothell,wa 10-3, Carson 12-3, Santa Margarita 9-3, Mater Dei 8-5 *(+21), Redland East Valley, Long Beach, San Clemente all 8-3
Lose- Servite 14-1 #7

Folsom 11-3
KW- Elk Grove 12-1, San Ramon Valley
10-4, Casa Robles 10-3
Loses- Grant 8-4 #869, Vacaville 13-1 #162, Pleasant Grove 12-2 #219

CC 12-2
KW- Rancho Cuca 11-2, JW North 10-2
Loses- St Bona 10-3 #128, Vista Murrieta
9-5 (4 FFL) #16

MV 10-3
KW- Long Beach 10-2, San Clemente 12-2, Tesoro 9-5, Huntington Beach 9-3
Loses- Don Bosco Prep, NJ 11-0 #1, Santa Margarita 13-2 #10, Redland EV 11-1 #254

Folsom 14-1
KW- Elk Grove 12-2, Oak Ridge 12-2, Buhach Colony 10-3
Lose- DLS 15-0 #1 (-34)

CC 14-2
KW- Alemany 9-3, Upland 12-2, Narbonne
14-1, Vista Murrieta 14-1
Loses- St Bona 11-2 # 70, DLS 15-0 #1 (-20)

MV 11-1
KW- Mission Hills 9-3
Lose- Long Beach 12-4 #22

Folsom 14-1
KW- Jesuit 9-4, Oak Ridge 12-2, Pleasant Grove 10-3
Lose- DLS 14-1 #6

CC 12-3
KW- Liberty,NV 10-4, Norco 9-4, Vista Murrieta 13-2
Loses- Long Beach 11-2 #54, Alemany 10-3 #62, St John Bosco 16-0 #1

MV 11-1
KW- Don Bosco Prep 7-4, Baldwin, HI 6-5, Tesoro 9-4, LaHabra 10-2
Lose- Mater Dei 11-3 #10

Folsom 16-0 State Champs
KW- Cathedral Catholic 10-2, Granite Bay
9-4, Grant 14-1, Oceanside 14-1 *(+61)

CC 12-3 * Switched to Pac 5 PO bracket
KW- Serra 8-3, Long Beach 11-2, Orange Lutheran 4-6 ,Mater Dei 9-3, Bishop Amat 9-4
Loses- Mater Dei 9-3 #32, DLS 14-0 #1, Bishop Gorman 15-0 #2

MV 12-2
KW- Tesoro 9-3, Great Oak 10-3, Vista Murrieta 11-3
Loses- Liberty(Bakersfield) 10-3 #317, 0ceanside 14-1 #61 *(-17)

Folsom 14-1
KW- St Mary's 10-3, Elk Grove 13-1, Del Oro
10-6(State Champs), CVC 13-2, Rocklin
10-4, Oak Ridge 10-3
Lose- Bellarmine 13-2 #109 *(-7)

CC 14-1
KW- East, UT 11-2, Serra 9-3, Orange Lutheran 6-6 (x2), Notre Dame 3-7, Mater Dei 10-3, St John Bosco 13-1
Lose- DLS 13-1 #1

MV 16-0 State Champs
KW- Redondo Union 10-3, Tesoro 10-3, Murrieta Valley 9-3, Baldwin,HI 9-4, Liberty (Bakersfield) 10-4, Oak Hill 9-6, La Habra
13-2 Chino Hills 10-3, Helix 11-2, Vista Murrieta 12-2, Norco + San Juan Hills 8-3,
Bellarmine 13-2 *(+24)

Folsom 12-2
KW- Elk Grove 11-2, Jesuit 9-4, Del Oro 13-3, Oak Ridge 10-3
Loses- Sacramento 10-2 #2053, St Mary's
14-2 #25

CC 11-2
KW- Orange Lutheran ,Notre Dame, + Jserra Catholic all 5-6, Chandler, AZ 13-2 (State Champs), Liberty, NV 12-2
Loses- IMG Academy, FL 11-0 #4, St John Bosco 13-2 #2

MV 11-1
KW- Santa Margarita 7-5, Oak Hill 8-3, San Clemente 13-3, Servite 5-7
Lose- Rancho Cucamonga 12-1 #26

Folsom 16-0 State Champs
KW- Coeurd'Alene, ID 9-3, Oak Ridge 11-2, Granite Bay 12-3, Oakdale 12-2, St Mary's
11-3, Central 12-2, Jesuit 10-3 (x2),
Helix 13-2

CC 10-2
KW- Pittsburg 9-3, Serra 6-5, Murrieta Valley 9-3, Narbonne 12-3 (State Champs)
Loses- IMG Academy, FL 9-0 #2, St John Bosco 11-3 #3

MV 12-1
KW- Servite 6-5, Orange Lutheran 6-6, Santa Margarita 7-4, Long Beach 9-3, El Toro 8-5, San Clemente 9-2
Lose- Mater Dei 15-0 #1

Folsom 14-1 State Champs
KW- Del Oro 13-2, Edison 9-3, Monterey Trail 12-1, Central 13-1, Cathedral Catholic 12-2
Lose- DLS 12-1 #4

CC 12-1
KW- Orange Lutheran 5-6 *(x2), Narbonne 10-4, Norco 9-3, Chandler, AZ 13-1 (State Champs)
Lose- Mater Dei 13-2 #1 "(-34)

MV 10-2 *(6-6)
KW- Orange Lutheran 5-6, Capistrano Valley
9-4, Bishop Amat 9-2, Liberty (Bakersfield) 12-2, Santa Margarita 3-7, Villa Park 12-1, Upland 12-3
Loses- San Clemente 7-5 #319, Mater Dei
13-2 #1 *(-39)

Folsom 10-2
KW- Oak Ridge 11-3, Edison 9-2
Loses- Monterey Trail 12-2 #361, DLS 12-2 #13

CC 9-3
KW- Orange Lutheran 5-6, Jserra Catholic
6-5, Liberty, NV 10-5 (State Champs)
Loses- Cathedral Catholic 8-3 #171, Mater Dei 12-1 #2 *(-30), St John Bosco 13-1 #1.

MV 11-1
KW- Konawaena, HI 8-4, Santa Margarita
3-7, Servite 7-4, La Habra 10-3, Tesoro 10-2, San Clemente 12-1 *(0-13FFL)
Lose- Mater Dei 12-1 #2 *(-25)

Any thoughts

Last edited:
Thought I'd throw some numbers out for everyone to see over the last decade. Mainly because I'm bored and I enjoy the back and forth so far. So I tried to give a year by year run down on what I believe are the top 3 public schools in the California. I know a lot of people are focusing on Folsom and Centennial but for good measure I added Mission Viejo to spice up the conversation. I will go year by year with win/lose record, key wins, and define each lose by who and what that teams overall record was and there end of the year ranking. Because some feel privates have an advantage I included all wins by M.V and CC over privates as a "key win" regardless of overall record of the private school they beat starting in 2014 when most seem to identify that time frame as when the super recruiting in the southern section kicked into high gear. Again I was bored. It's summer school and things are a little dead around the campus. I used an asterisk to identify common opponents between teams with a plus or minus depending on win vs lose. I am not picking sides just giving somewhat of a visual reference. Personally I think all three teams were impressive this decade and should be proud.

Folsom 14-1 State Champs
KW- Vacaville 10-2, Buhach Colony 12-1, Pleasant Grove 13-1, Grant 13-1,Serra 14-1
Lose- Grant 13-1 #121

CC 14-1
KW- Mater Dei 8-5 *(+31), Vista Murrieta 13-2, Norco 9-3, Chino Hills 10-3
Lose- Palo Alto 14-0 #13

MV 13-1
KW- Bothell,wa 10-3, Carson 12-3, Santa Margarita 9-3, Mater Dei 8-5 *(+21), Redland East Valley, Long Beach, San Clemente all 8-3
Lose- Servite 14-1 #7

Folsom 11-3
KW- Elk Grove 12-1, San Ramon Valley
10-4, Casa Robles 10-3
Loses- Grant 8-4 #869, Vacaville 13-1 #162, Pleasant Grove 12-2 #219

CC 12-2
KW- Rancho Cuca 11-2, JW North 10-2
Loses- St Bona 10-3 #128, Vista Murrieta
9-5 (4 FFL) #16

MV 10-3
KW- Long Beach 10-2, San Clemente 12-2, Tesoro 9-5, Huntington Beach 9-3
Loses- Don Bosco Prep, NJ 11-0 #1, Santa Margarita 13-2 #10, Redland EV 11-1 #254

Folsom 14-1
KW- Elk Grove 12-2, Oak Ridge 12-2, Buhach Colony 10-3
Lose- DLS 15-0 #1 (-34)

CC 14-2
KW- Alemany 9-3, Upland 12-2, Narbonne
14-1, Vista Murrieta 14-1
Loses- St Bona 11-2 # 70, DLS 15-0 #1 (-20)

MV 11-1
KW- Mission Hills 9-3
Lose- Long Beach 12-4 #22

Folsom 14-1
KW- Jesuit 9-4, Oak Ridge 12-2, Pleasant Grove 10-3
Lose- DLS 14-1 #6

CC 12-3
KW- Liberty,NV 10-4, Norco 9-4, Vista Murrieta 13-2
Loses- Long Beach 11-2 #54, Alemany 10-3 #62, St John Bosco 16-0 #1

MV 11-1
KW- Don Bosco Prep 7-4, Baldwin, HI 6-5, Tesoro 9-4, LaHabra 10-2
Lose- Mater Dei 11-3 #10

Folsom 16-0 State Champs
KW- Cathedral Catholic 10-2, Granite Bay
9-4, Grant 14-1, Oceanside 14-1 *(+61)

CC 12-3 * Switched to Pac 5 PO bracket
KW- Serra 8-3, Long Beach 11-2, Orange Lutheran 4-6 ,Mater Dei 9-3, Bishop Amat 9-4
Loses- Mater Dei 9-3 #32, DLS 14-0 #1, Bishop Gorman 15-0 #2

MV 12-2
KW- Tesoro 9-3, Great Oak 10-3, Vista Murrieta 11-3
Loses- Liberty(Bakersfield) 10-3 #317, 0ceanside 14-1 #61 *(-17)

Folsom 14-1
KW- St Mary's 10-3, Elk Grove 13-1, Del Oro
10-6(State Champs), CVC 13-2, Rocklin
10-4, Oak Ridge 10-3
Lose- Bellarmine 13-2 #109 *(-7)

CC 14-1
KW- East, UT 11-2, Serra 9-3, Orange Lutheran 6-6 (x2), Notre Dame 3-7, Mater Dei 10-3, St John Bosco 13-1
Lose- DLS 13-1 #1

MV 16-0 State Champs
KW- Redondo Union 10-3, Tesoro 10-3, Murrieta Valley 9-3, Baldwin,HI 9-4, Liberty (Bakersfield) 10-4, Oak Hill 9-6, La Habra
13-2 Chino Hills 10-3, Helix 11-2, Vista Murrieta 12-2, Norco + San Juan Hills 8-3,
Bellarmine 13-2 *(+24)

Folsom 12-2
KW- Elk Grove 11-2, Jesuit 9-4, Del Oro 13-3, Oak Ridge 10-3
Loses- Sacramento 10-2 #2053, St Mary's
14-2 #25

CC 11-2
KW- Orange Lutheran ,Notre Dame, + Jserra Catholic all 5-6, Chandler, AZ 13-2 (State Champs), Liberty, NV 12-2
Loses- IMG Academy, FL 11-0 #4, St John Bosco 13-2 #2

MV 11-1
KW- Santa Margarita 7-5, Oak Hill 8-3, San Clemente 13-3, Servite 5-7
Lose- Rancho Cucamonga 12-1 #26

Folsom 16-0 State Champs
KW- Coeurd'Alene, ID 9-3, Oak Ridge 11-2, Granite Bay 12-3, Oakdale 12-2, St Mary's
11-3, Central 12-2, Jesuit 10-3 (x2),
Helix 13-2

CC 10-2
KW- Pittsburg 9-3, Serra 6-5, Murrieta Valley 9-3, Narbonne 12-3 (State Champs)
Loses- IMG Academy, FL 9-0 #2, St John Bosco 11-3 #3

MV 12-1
KW- Servite 6-5, Orange Lutheran 6-6, Santa Margarita 7-4, Long Beach 9-3, El Toro 8-5, San Clemente 9-2
Lose- Mater Dei 15-0 #1

Folsom 14-1 State Champs
KW- Del Oro 13-2, Edison 9-3, Monterey Trail 12-1, Central 13-1, Cathedral Catholic 12-2
Lose- DLS 12-1 #4

CC 12-1
KW- Orange Lutheran 5-6 *(x2), Narbonne 10-4, Norco 9-3, Chandler, AZ 13-1 (State Champs)
Lose- Mater Dei 13-2 #1 "(-34)

MV 10-2 *(6-6)
KW- Orange Lutheran 5-6, Capistrano Valley
9-4, Bishop Amat 9-2, Liberty (Bakersfield) 12-2, Santa Margarita 3-7, Villa Park 12-1, Upland 12-3
Loses- San Clemente 7-5 #319, Mater Dei
13-2 #1 *(-39)

Folsom 10-2
KW- Oak Ridge 11-3, Edison 9-2
Loses- Monterey Trail 12-2 #361, DLS 12-2 #13

CC 9-3
KW- Orange Lutheran 5-6, Jserra Catholic
6-5, Liberty, NV 10-5 (State Champs)
Loses- Cathedral Catholic 8-3 #171, Mater Dei 12-1 #2 *(-30), St John Bosco 13-1 #1.

MV 11-1
KW- Konawaena, HI 8-4, Santa Margarita
3-7, Servite 7-4, La Habra 10-3, Tesoro 10-2
, San Clemente 12-1 *(0-13FFL)
Lose- Mater Dei 12-1 #2 *(-25)

Any thoughts

all we need to look at is what MV did the year they were granted a lower playoff division

MV 16-0 State Champs
Bellarmine 13-2 *(+24)

looks mighty familiar to what Folsom accomplishes at the same level yet MV can’t sniff a state championship in the Open playoff division.Folsom is a good program no doubt but whining your way out of the playoff division you should be playing in is an embarrassment

Reactions: WWHS44 and THEOC89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT