ADVERTISEMENT

Campo over Salesian

CamAca

Superstar
Nov 10, 2016
Impressed by Campo's win over Salesian. Campo can compete.....Congrats to Campo!

Great win Campo against a good opponent !!!! Quality win with like that wound how the rankings will look this week. Alot of loose with the top teams

Reactions: kkross22
It just shows that Salesian was overrated and losing Minyon Moore was a pretty big deal.

It just shows that Salesian was overrated and losing Minyon Moore was a pretty big deal.

Minyon is not easy to replace. She was a significant scorer and all around player. But I think we may also have to credit Campo a team that has been riding under the radar. Campo has a team that like Clovis West and the better teams have a starting five that have played together for a while. Campo should continue to get better as that core group continues to progress the rest of this year and next year. Congratulations to Campolindo !

Last edited:
Great win Campo against a good opponent !!!! Quality win with like that wound how the rankings will look this week. Alot of loose with the top teams

Yeah Campo better be careful or they'll end up being rewarded an open invitation. Smile !

Campo lost to Cardinal Newman 85-54 and Van Dyke had 12 points, 6 of which came against the bottom 5 in the 4th quarter. Open teams from NCS. Carondelet DI Section Champions, Miramonte D2 Section Championships, Campo, Salesian and O'Dowd D3 Section battle, Cardinal Newman D4 Section Champions. I say Carondelet, Miramonte and Cardinal Newman are locks.

Campo lost to Cardinal Newman 85-54 and Van Dyke had 12 points, 6 of which came against the bottom 5 in the 4th quarter. They are still far away from the open.

I am well aware of that. I was just sending out a warning for them to slow down the progression before they get rewarded something I agree they may not be ready for. But they do put a few sacrificial lambs in each year.

Yep, Brookside Christian was the sacrifical lamb last year. There may not be any way to reward anyone this year with that title. Too many good teams not enough great teams.

I wonder if Angel Jackson got in foul trouble ... Campo came back in the fourth quarter.

Reactions: kkross22
I wonder if Angel Jackson got in foul trouble ... Campo came back in the fourth quarter.

Yeah I would have loved to have been at that game. I will have to ask my connections close to the teams if they have a video of the game I can watch. It sounded like Haley had things going for her regardless to Angel Jackson being in or out of the game. Some players and teams can hurt you down low in the paint and out on the perimeter. My guess is Campo had it going inside and out. You have to be able to win the battle on one end or the other. Not lose on one end and get a loss or a tie on the other end.

Last edited:
Clay - it's my understanding Angel played about 10 minutes because of foul trouble

GREAT win by Campo!!!

Its a good thing for coach Thoms and his daughter that the Athleticism in the family clearly skipped a generation from his dad to her.

Now if he could just put in a good word for me regarding this speeding ticket I got the other day in Moraga....

;)

Last edited:
Clay - it's my understanding Angel played about 10 minutes because of foul trouble

How in the world do you get into that much foul trouble? They play 4 quarters. 10 minutes is slightly over 1 quarter? The next question because I have seen it happen before is did the coach panic and leave the player out too long once that player got into foul trouble instead of telling them to just put their hands up and play smart from that point on? I saw a post season game not mentioning any teams where a key player picked up a quick 3rd foul at the start of the 3rd period and the coach lost that player on the bench until the end of the game giving the game away in the process. The senior player ended most of her last game on the bench with the same 3 fouls. I guess some believe you get to roll the un used fouls over and use them in the next game?

Last edited:
Broken record... reseed the wcj platinum. ...
Obviously sms should be paying shc in the final...not the semi final.

Paytc-

Where have you coached? I hear what you are saying and I too am pretty close to undefeated from the stands. Situations change all the time and there are plenty of times when multiple fouls happen quickly before the actual coach can get player out of game. Would you agree? Where can I find a copy of your book to see your thought processes?

Last edited:
Paytc-

Where have you coached? I hear what you are saying and I too am pretty close to undefeated from the stands. Situations change all the time and there are plenty of times when multiple fouls happen quickly before the actual coach can get player out of game. Would you agree? Where can I find a copy of your book to see your thought processes?

I've coached adults as well as children primarily my own kids during CYO. I consider myself an Entertainment and Sports Strategist Coach. Yes I would agree with you multiple fouls can happen quickly before a coach can get a player out of a game. And I'm big on the fact that things change all the time. That is why in my book I attempt to stay away from absolutes and promote circumstantial coaching since players, circumstances, and match ups change often. I am also big on taking chances with regard to sports because I don't see them as life threatening events you should get too worked up about. Perhaps the time I spent in Las Vegas playing Blackjack as a minor helped me create the heart of a gunfighter. But yes it's definitely easier to coach from the stands. But some coaches are better "game time " coaches than others who work their best game planning and preparing a team before tip off.

The best place to pick my book up is paythecreator.com But it is also available on Amazon, Bookbaby, Kobo, Ibooks, or by googling "Win Anyway" by Parris Walton and Paytc

Last edited:
Adults and your children in CYO? What kind of adults? So basically you are a parent who wrote a book?

Adults and your children in CYO? What kind of adults? So basically you are a parent who wrote a book?

Most adults are parents. And more folks should write a book to share their unique perspectives. I coached a few ex-college athletes and a few others after they were finished playing in an adult league. I also don't think coaching is as hard as it is made out to be.

Most teams that win championships have good players, good head and assistant coaches and good overall support around them. But the head coach usually is given all the credit. When it takes a good supporting cast. And by the way, I was in no way trying to knock Coach Pezzola who I think is a fine coach. Since I wasn't present I was trying to get the scoup on just what happened. And I have been out coached before. I don't see it as anything to feel down about. Every player has been out played and every coach out coached. But the coach's ego won't allow enough coaches to admit when they get out coached or have a bad day at the office.

Last edited:
I disagree with you. I think coaching today is very difficult. We live in a self serving society where everyone believes they are entitled to many things including but not limited to...equal playing time, vacations during the season, equal shot attempts, having a voice in the stands, going to administration when things aren't perfect...the list goes on. It would be refreshing if every parent would shut up, enjoy watching their child, support the coach and ask their child after a game what they want for dinner. Teach their kids that not everything comes easy and instill a work ethic that cannot be questioned. I've never coached cyo or in adult rec leagues(where players won't really listen anyway) but have noticed an unbelievable change in our current student athlete over the last 20 years and believe it is directly related to how parents have been allowed to be WAY more involved. Honestly, I think we are lucky to keep good coaches because of this society change.

I disagree with you. I think coaching today is very difficult. We live in a self serving society where everyone believes they are entitled to many things including but not limited to...equal playing time, vacations during the season, equal shot attempts, having a voice in the stands, going to administration when things aren't perfect...the list goes on. It would be refreshing if every parent would shut up, enjoy watching their child, support the coach and ask their child after a game what they want for dinner. Teach their kids that not everything comes easy and instill a work ethic that cannot be questioned. I've never coached cyo or in adult rec leagues(where players won't really listen anyway) but have noticed an unbelievable change in our current student athlete over the last 20 years and believe it is directly related to how parents have been allowed to be WAY more involved. Honestly, I think we are lucky to keep good coaches because of this society change.

That's your opinion and I can respect that even if I dont agree with it. I think the coach should be the most accountable figure on a team. But for whatever reason we want to give them many duck the leadership role and typically pass the buck, blame the players, the parents, the refs, the school, and all other outside forces. I personally think children should have to work for things but some get a free pass while too many look the other way. I think parents and children should respect their coach even if they don't like or always agree with them. I agree we are very lucky to keep "good coaches" I believe all parents, children, admin, good and bad coaches as well as all humans have room for improvement. And I am glad coaches have checks and balances because just like any profession there are good and bad coaches. Some verbally and physically abuse children. So thank God some parents and other adults are not cowards who just shut up. Or just look the other way.

Last edited:
I haven't followed Paytc's posts over the years. I graduated from, coached at, and was a parent of a private school player. A lot of Paytc's comments sound extremely familiar to me in this particular thread. I have many friends in the coaching world(private and public) that share with me the current state of high school basketball. I agree with Paytc that head coaches get a lot of credit but I also think they get all the blame. There are many people who contribute to successes and failures of teams. We see how the kids play in games, not what they are doing in practice. Maybe we see our own child getting yelled out for something we do not know the coach has spent multiple hours in practice working on. There is a lot more finger pointing going on when our precious child isn't playing as much or is getting "yelled" at more than we want. Paytc has never coached high school. It has changed dramatically in the last 20 years, it isn't easy and it is unbelievably thankless because of the sense of entitlement created by those who want to see everyone get a trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT