ADVERTISEMENT

Capuchino coach out

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Marty Ruiz, head coach at Capuchino for the last several years, has resigned, effective immediately. No reason has been made public so far. The team, mired in a depressing losing streak, is being coached by others in the San Bruno school's athletic department as the season heads for a merciful conclusion. The Mustangs are 3-17 overall, 0-8 in the PAL South.

Last edited:
Marty and his dad are good guys. His dad, Andy, was the AD at Skyline College. Cap's record is bad, but that OT loss to Hillsdale sticks out as a worthy effort.

IMO a few schools in the PAL south need a coaching change and/or a change in style of play. Too much zone, not enough running...just a bunch of kids standing behind the 3 point line jacking up shots.

I've noticed this becoming a huge trend, especially this year. I feel like in years past it happened, but not like this. There was a Hall/Lincoln game earlier this year, where I kid you not, one player on their team shot at least 10 3-pointers, maybe even 15. They shot about 20-25 and probably made 6-8 of them.

Why aren't kids driving the lane? Get that foul and then hit those free throws? Makes zero sense. Too many kids settling for something difficult, when it could be a lot easier! To me, Free Throws are the most underrated aspect of basketball.

Reactions: coachlittle
I've noticed this becoming a huge trend, especially this year. I feel like in years past it happened, but not like this. There was a Hall/Lincoln game earlier this year, where I kid you not, one player on their team shot at least 10 3-pointers, maybe even 15. They shot about 20-25 and probably made 6-8 of them.

Why aren't kids driving the lane? Get that foul and then hit those free throws? Makes zero sense. Too many kids settling for something difficult, when it could be a lot easier! To me, Free Throws are the most underrated aspect of basketball.
its the warriors fault. them beige bruhs got yall bay people trying to shoot from too deep too early in the clock.

Reactions: Crusaders70
its the warriors fault. them beige bruhs got yall bay people trying to shoot from too deep too early in the clock.

Hahaha. I don't mind the 3's but there has to be some penetration to suck in the defense and then get wide open 3's. I just see 4 kids standing behind the arc, against a zone no less and 2-3 passes around the perimeter and then shoot. And 90% of these kids shoot 20% at best from behind the arc.

IMO a few schools in the PAL south need a coaching change and/or a change in style of play. Too much zone, not enough running...just a bunch of kids standing behind the 3 point line jacking up shots.

Totally agree. Dowd at Burlingame does the same thing, zone defense and chucking it from the cheap seats and it is painful to watch most of the time.

Reactions: Jaw Knee and WM483
Hahaha. I don't mind the 3's but there has to be some penetration to suck in the defense and then get wide open 3's. I just see 4 kids standing behind the arc, against a zone no less and 2-3 passes around the perimeter and then shoot. And 90% of these kids shoot 20% at best from behind the arc.
5 out 5 out. two dribble hand offs. then someone shoots. clank.

5 out 5 out. two dribble hand offs. then someone shoots. clank.

And that's why i initially said there needs to be some coaching changes. I see dribble hand offs against 3-2 zones. What is the point...you're handing it off right into another defender. No point. Get the ball in the middle. Behind the 3 guards and attack from there.

Totally agree. Dowd at Burlingame does the same thing, zone defense and chucking it from the cheap seats and it is painful to watch most of the time.

Yup. Watch the Mills vs Burlingame varsity game last week and both teams played zone and both teams only shot 3 pointers. It was so boring that we left in the middle of the 3rd.

Reactions: Barking Dog
Yup. Watch the Mills vs Burlingame varsity game last week and both teams played zone and both teams only shot 3 pointers. It was so boring that we left in the middle of the 3rd.
Why in the world did you do that, Jaw Knee? I saw Burlingame lose to Sequoia Wednesday after watching Bellarmine beat Serra Tuesday. Sequoia is LONG. Good team, but outmatched against M-A.

I'll be at Burlingame-Capuchino tonight because I cannot bring myself to watching El Camino-Oceana.

Hahaha. My daughter is on the Mills JV team so thought we would stick around and support....bad idea from an entertainment perspective. Lol Burlingame Cap will probably be just as bad. Will head to Jefferson and watch their matchup with HMB after my daughters game at Aragon.

I agree with that Lee, but IMO Dowd doesn't know how to coach man def either. His teams never played man, even when he had those pretty decent teams with Schiller.

Also agree with Lee but in the PAL the difference in size and athleticism isn't dramatic between schools. With smaller, quicker and fast players in the league, I dont understand why teams dont run more....a lot of walk it down and run set plays to get 3 point shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT