ADVERTISEMENT

Cif transfer rules

H.E.A.T.

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2010
Specifically 207.b(3). Any thoughts or insight on this . Sounds like if you went to Prep school and try to come back you have to play JV or sit out 1yr. How will this affect those like Vyctorius Miller at Crean Lutheran , Zion Sensley Riordan . I hear Phillips was told he would be denied coming back to Modesto Christian . How many others does this rule ?

CIF BYLAW 207.B.(3). a - Transfer Eligibility, Academy Programs

In any sports) in which the transfer student has competed at any level at the former school(s) or was part of an academy program which competed against a high school or non-school organization during that season of sport, in the 12 calendar months immediately preceding their transfer to the new school, the student will be limited to sub-varsity (limited) eligibility in those sports.

For purposes of this bylaw, an "Academy" is defined as a non-school organization located in or outside the State of California that consists of a sports development and/or training program, consisting of athletic teams) that compete against other high school or non-school organization athletic programs.

There is also similar language to this in Bylaw 504.

Specifically 207.b(3). Any thoughts or insight on this . Sounds like if you went to Prep school and try to come back you have to play JV or sit out 1yr. How will this affect those like Vyctorius Miller at Crean Lutheran , Zion Sensley Riordan . I hear Phillips was told he would be denied coming back to Modesto Christian . How many others does this rule ?

CIF BYLAW 207.B.(3). a - Transfer Eligibility, Academy Programs

In any sports) in which the transfer student has competed at any level at the former school(s) or was part of an academy program which competed against a high school or non-school organization during that season of sport, in the 12 calendar months immediately preceding their transfer to the new school, the student will be limited to sub-varsity (limited) eligibility in those sports.

For purposes of this bylaw, an "Academy" is defined as a non-school organization located in or outside the State of California that consists of a sports development and/or training program, consisting of athletic teams) that compete against other high school or non-school organization athletic programs.

There is also similar language to this in Bylaw 504.
Interesting question. Does anyone kow if this is what they referenced to deny Ben's transfer to Monterey Trail? Or was it something else?

Also interesting if true that Jamari Phillips was looking to come back

Is 207.b(3) a new bylaw? In terms of precedents, JJ Taylor went from Donda Academy to San Ysidro HS last season and did not have to sit out a season.

Except
Is 207.b(3) a new bylaw? In terms of precedents, JJ Taylor went from Donda Academy to San Ysidro HS last season and did not have to sit out a season.
Not the same . The way I’m interpreting the rule you can’t leave a school , go to prep school and return to same school.

Taylor situation different on multiple levels.
He didn’t come from Ysidro, it was before last season and most of all Donda was closing so kids had to go somewhere. Nowhere near the same precedent

I like it. Make parents/kids really think about that move. Too many liberal policies currently. Imagine a kid playing JV! Hahaha.
Def could change some of the current landscape
If enforced

I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet, but I can see club sports, specifically football/basketball, taking over the HS sports season. Similar to what soccer has done.

I believe you can return to your same previous school but cannot go to another school as that would count as 2 transfers. In that case Zion would be eligible to return to Riordan, Phillips to MC etc. Verrick Lewis did the same returning from SCA to Monterey Trails last year.

From what I understand the new verbiage of rule 207 is new. Varrick I believe was during Covid. They allowed a lot of things at that time.
Also I was told the new 207 rule prevents a player coming back to his former school for one year.

So Zion Is going to be eligible based off all the information I have gathered. He transferred to Riordan before July 30th making him eligible for the upcoming season from day 1.

Vyctorious Miller will end up sitting out the first half of the year and my guess is if Jamari Phillips wanted to go back to MC the same rule would apply.

Me personally. I would abolish all transfer rules. I would allow teams like Prolific Prep to play Centennial, Harvard-Westlake, Notre Dame-So, etc.

At this point the rules don’t help anyone. Period.

Reactions: BigMann08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT