ADVERTISEMENT

caunzo martin resigns at cal

bones40

Sports Fanatic
Apr 3, 2014
Head coach caunzo martin has resigned at cal looks to be headed to Missouri
didn't see this coming and where does cal turn to bring in a big name
coach or do they go the route of a hot assistant coach.

I thought he would have a long tenure when he first got to Berkeley, but things have seemed off the last year or two. Important hire for Cal. I think I would make a run at Russell Turner.

He's familiar with that neck of the woods Martin coached at Missouri State for 3 yrs starting in 2008 before heading to Tennessee

No way Turner... Bad Temperment... Need a recruiter who has experience.. Joe Pasternack could be the guy..It was no secret that Martin was leaving

No way Turner... Bad Temperment... Need a recruiter who has experience.. Joe Pasternack could be the guy..It was no secret that Martin was leaving

I like what Musselman has done at Nevada. He would owe them a little over a million dollars if he were to leave.

Very sad. I mean I have nothing against Martin but CAL athletics seem to be a mess. He was a good recruiter which you have to be today.

Good call on Musselman. He has done a nice job at UNR.

Reactions: slick58
Regarding Mussleman: has he recruited at a high academic institution?

Agree bones. I was joking. But yeah I like the UCSB idea.
Good choices BTW. Cal needs some consistency. Hate to see the program changing hands so much but living out West doesn't sound like it was Martins thing.

Cal is not stanford when it comes to recruiting student athletes. Remember that. Totally different standards. (Much lower)

Yeah but they're under a microscope at Cal. They need to keep their graduation success rate up. I agree Cals admissions is not nearly as strict as Stanford's.

I just read that the men's basketball team had a huge GPA increase under Martin.

Cal is not stanford when it comes to recruiting student athletes. Remember that. Totally different standards. (Much lower)

But they are higher than Nevada, LSU and Arizona State.

And I think Musselman has done a terrific job at Nevada. Just pointing out that it would be a different challenge at Cal

Cal isnt bringing on anyone with a name. UC's are handcuffed by budget woes. Unless your program brings in fists full of cash like UCLA, the board isn't going to give the AD much to work with in salary. That is why the football program under Tedford couldn't retain guys because schools could offer a whole lot more.

I thought Romar was on the hot seat. He seemed to really have that program going in the right direction about 10 years ago but the last 5 or 6 haven't been so good. I use to run into him at the State Finals a lot. He was alway very nice and easy to talk too. I think he's well respected and will land somewhere good. He can recruit which is a big plus.

But yeah the Cal budget does handcuff you big time. And if Martin did get GPA's up that is great. That is something you can hang your hat on. I thought Brown was pretty high on CAL but that seems unlikely now. Not much of a team returning. Seems like a good time to bounce.

CM was a snake, he didn't want to deal with the academics. Cal really should be aggressive and get Alumni Dennis Gates who is murdering it as an assistant at Florida State

Cal isnt bringing on anyone with a name. UC's are handcuffed by budget woes. Unless your program brings in fists full of cash like UCLA, the board isn't going to give the AD much to work with in salary. That is why the football program under Tedford couldn't retain guys because schools could offer a whole lot more.

Martin was getting a base of 250k plus an annual talent fee in the 1.3 million dollar range plus bonus money.

I thought Romar was on the hot seat. He seemed to really have that program going in the right direction about 10 years ago but the last 5 or 6 haven't been so good. I use to run into him at the State Finals a lot. He was alway very nice and easy to talk too. I think he's well respected and will land somewhere good. He can recruit which is a big plus.

But yeah the Cal budget does handcuff you big time. And if Martin did get GPA's up that is great. That is something you can hang your hat on. I thought Brown was pretty high on CAL but that seems unlikely now. Not much of a team returning. Seems like a good time to bounce.

Yeah, Martin took Porter from UW and bounced. I guess he figured no time like the present. Plus Missouri is reportedly paying him 21 million over 7 years.

Never a fan of Cuonzo at all. Did recruit well, I'll give him that. Cal doesn't need a HUGE name but rather some stability. Hoping for a good hire with some creativity on offense.

Reactions: BadBucks
When you look at the talent coming to Arizona,usc,ucla,along with oregon who is
already loaded cal was going to be at least the 4th to 5th best program in the pac 12
for at least the next 2 years.
I am not so sure they can get musslemen to come to cal either as reno nevada
from what I have heard has a chance to land jordan brown.

This is going to be a very interesting hire! Anyone know a lawyer that could pick apart the last 4 years of Randy Bennett's contract at St. Mary's? "Mullin won't answer? What about his college teammate that used to coach the Warriors?"

This is going to be a very interesting hire! Anyone know a lawyer that could pick apart the last 4 years of Randy Bennett's contract at St. Mary's? "Mullin won't answer? What about his college teammate that used to coach the Warriors?"

All terrible choices for Cal

Only good name I've seen so far is Musselman... they should've hired Travis Decuire last time around...

Clink or Jim Les might both be worth looking at.
Neither of those guys can recruit at the level Cal needs. Remember this is the Pac 12. You need a experienced coach with a track record at the D1 level. Either a Head guy from the Mountain West or go get a high major Associate Head coach.. Too bad Steve Fisher is in his 70's

How do you know how well they can recruit at the level Cal needs?

Neither has been going after the same recruits that Cal has a chance at. Clink has done a great job in getting solid players up to Chico. I don't know Les, but based on the current results, he must be getting some good talent. Cal is tougher with the academic restrictions no doubt, but that would apply to anyone.

they have to hire a crook with west coast connects and coaches a west coast style of play or Pasternack could be their guy, not saying he's a crook or anything like that.

Now that Indiana fired Crean, I wonder if he could be in play? Given his $4MM payout from Indiana, he might be willing to start at Cal for minimal pay to make sure the Hoosiers pay as much as possible.

Semi-relatedly, I saw somebody on Twitter cal Washington "an A+ job." What is your opinion? It's certainly not top 2 in the Pac-12 (UCLA and Arizona), and I would argue that Oregon and USC are easily better jobs. UW is one of only 5 Pac-12 schools that has never been to the NCAA championship game, so other than the fact that you'd be living in Seattle, what exactly is A+ about the Huskies job?

How about Justin Labagh? CCSF is consistently one of the top JC teams in the state and he played at Cal.

What about going after Chris Collins? Is Cal better than Northwestern?
Chris Collins would never leave Northwestern to come to Cal. He just took them to the dance and won a game today. He has that program headed in the right direction.
Matter of fact, I can see him staying for 10, 15, 20 years at NW

Reactions: concrete17
Why couldn't Martin make it happen at Cal?

He's a god awful X and O's coach......atrocious on offense especially.......he also had some bad luck with key injuries to Brown and Bird last year in the tourney and Bird this year in the PAC 12 tourney

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT