ADVERTISEMENT

CCS NorCal Finalists

I don't think there's any doubt, or has been, that the WCAL is the best in Northern California. This year, in fact, it is one of the best in the country, perhaps stronger than the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference in D.C.

Of course, it all goes in cycles. Talent springs up in some places for a while, and then it doesn't. What is now the Diablo Athletic League was very strong five or six years ago; this year it was not strong at all. The same up-and-down pattern is true of every league and every area, even the WCAL (though the WCAL never goes down very far in terms of other NorCal leagues).

But, as I've said before, gloat while you can, and the WCAL players, coaches and fans should take great pride in their accomplishments this year. Very, very impressive ...

Clay this was considered a DOWN year for the WCAL lol. Now 3 years ago when SI had tons of talent the league was tougher. The league will always be tough because of coaching. As well as kids want to attend these schools because of tradition. If your in San Francisco playing sports you want to attend this schools. Really I would be happy if ESP and Pinewood joined the WCAL! How much better would that make the league!!
I've always said they need to have a league in the East Bay that includes Salesian, BOD, St. Joes, SPSV, C-Let, Moreau Catholic etc. Let's spice it up a bit!

There is a problem with ESCP or Pinewood joining the WCAL...neither are parochial schools. Hence why they are in the WBAL (West BAY Athletic League) and not the WCAL (West CATHOLIC Athletic League).

Reactions: jrogers6988
us catholics are very accepting when it comes to competitive bball games lol

but really, I'm sure the biggest obstacle would be that pretty much the ONLY sport that ESCP and Pinewood are formidable at is women's bball. And women's bball is far from the only strong league in the WCAL.

Reactions: jrogers6988
There is a problem with ESCP or Pinewood joining the WCAL...neither are parochial schools. Hence why they are in the WBAL (West BAY Athletic League) and not the WCAL (West CATHOLIC Athletic League).

Valley Christian is a member of the WCAL and is not a papal institution. Hence the MCAL, "Mostly Catholic Athletic League."

Reactions: Mo Green
Actually, VC was pretty much forced on the WCAL at the turn of the century by the CCS poobahs. No public school league wanted them anymore. The WCAL had a slot for an eighth school. So VC joined what became, for some, the MCAL. Vague notions of bringing back Marin Catholic and adding Palma never came to fruition. Even DLS was mentioned at one time. Forget that. Sacred Heart Prep and Notre Dame-Belmont tried the WCAL for a time for women's sports and that didn't work well.

Obviously that's the issue lol! I'm just speaking from the "in a perfect world" perspective

... so for all of you outside the Central Coast Section, the NorCal final results give you a pretty strong indication of what it's like for public schools to compete in that neck of the CIF woods year-in and year-out...it's no bargain...
We will be taking up a collection next month to get colhenry a box of tissues.

PM me if you want to chip in.

Actually, VC was pretty much forced on the WCAL at the turn of the century by the CCS poobahs. No public school league wanted them anymore. The WCAL had a slot for an eighth school. So VC joined what became, for some, the MCAL. Vague notions of bringing back Marin Catholic and adding Palma never came to fruition. Even DLS was mentioned at one time. Forget that. Sacred Heart Prep and Notre Dame-Belmont tried the WCAL for a time for women's sports and that didn't work well.
IIRC, VC was a middle division BHAL team at the time the WCAL absorbed them. If they were in the MHAL it was only for a year or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT