ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Playoff Notes

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Open Division: The West Catholic Athletic League went 1-4 in opening round play last year and three of the five entrants this year are hitting the road on Wednesday. Bellarmine (No. 11) will travel to Westmont, Mitty (No. 15) heads to Palma and Valley Christian-San Jose (No. 16) faces top seed Palo Alto...Playoff seeding is always a hot topic no matter the format, but the CCS method is just wrong. Serra and St. Francis-Mountain View are No. 4 and 5 seeds after finishing top two in the WCAL regular season and tournament and I don't see a path on how to defend that. This is one scenario that produces some head scratches...Jake Holton has stepped up as the top player for Los Gatos with a .308 average while going 8-3 with a sub two ERA...Myles Marciel is hitting .447 with a team high 25 RBI for Santa Teresa, which got the No. 3 seed and will host Terra Nova. He is also 6-0 with a 1.14 ERA.

Division I: Leland is the top seed in the Division I playoffs and is paced offensively by sophomore Albert Hsiao. He is hitting .373 with two home runs and 18 RBI...After starting 22-0, San Mateo won six of its last nine games and will start on the road against Mountain View...One and done playoff situations come down a lot to top end pitching. Branham has a good one in Cal bound senior Arman Sabouri. He is 9-4 with a 0.99 ERA with 111 strikeouts to 15 walks. The Bruins open up against Woodside...Willow Glen right-handed pitcher Joe Hutchings already has 10 wins entering the postseason. He has a sub two ERA and is giving up just over one baserunner per inning. He could start the opener against Monta Vista.

Division II: Sacred Heart Cathedral posted one of its best weeks in recent years this spring with wins over Belalrmine and Serra. The Fightin' Irish have lost five of six games though and will host Pacific Grove in the first round...The first round game of Sacred Heart Prep and Monterey features two of the best positions players in the region with Carter Aldrete and Andrew Daschbach...Top seed Carmel has won 14 of its last 17 games despite battling injuries this year. The Padres are averaging 8.6 runs per game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT