12 Noon Montverde vs Sidwell ESPNU
April 5
1030AM Grayson vs IMG/Grace Winner ESPNU
1230 PM Luhi vs Montverde/Sidwell Winner ESPNU
April 6
10AM Championship ESPN

Last edited:
Reactions: GBBall4L
Maybe ClayK can add context as to why the CIF doesn't allow CA schools to participate

Last I heard, Paragon, the company that runs the event, had not approached CIF with a formal proposal.

I think it would be a tough sell, though. Even though it's just a couple teams (boys too), it goes against the recent trend of shortening seasons.

what is the difference in this and the throne post season tournament? 2 schools from california are playing in that one

what is the difference in this and the throne post season tournament? 2 schools from california are playing in that one
Is the throne even a girls tournament? If it is Notre Dame(CA) is not a power house school in women's hoops or mens hoops so there you have it. That's the difference. Chipotle has some of the top schools playing

Is the throne even a girls tournament? If it is Notre Dame(CA) is not a power house school in women's hoops or mens hoops so there you have it. That's the difference. Chipotle has some of the top schools playing
they have a girls bracket

Roosevelt is in it too. So it's not a CIF rule. Probably have to get section approval.

I'm not a true national championship without the California Open champs. Period!

Its all BS otherwise...

Just get together and make it happen. It only affects 1 boys and 1 girls team.

Let's do this this!

Chipotle Nationals has prep organizations such as Montverde and Oak Hill and IMG Academy and Prolific Prep eligible... Haven't looked at the bracket, but I assume at least two of those are playing (boys' side). CIF made that rule a few years ago regarding CIF schools not being allowed to play against such academies. (I can understand a rule like this in football, where the odds of injuries happening is so high, but it's silly for basketball, IMHO. But it is what it is...)

The other tournament mentioned, The Throne, is all standard high schools, so CA schools can play. Although I bet the Throne's people had to ask the CIF real nice.

One thing I'm curious about regarding The Throne is this line on the webpage:

"Teams invited will only participate while adhering to the guidelines and rules set forth by their respective state associations." Um... What if one school plays in a shot-clock state and the other doesn't?

Chipotle Nationals has prep organizations such as Montverde and Oak Hill and IMG Academy and Prolific Prep eligible... Haven't looked at the bracket, but I assume at least two of those are playing (boys' side). CIF made that rule a few years ago regarding CIF schools not being allowed to play against such academies. (I can understand a rule like this in football, where the odds of injuries happening is so high, but it's silly for basketball, IMHO. But it is what it is...)

The other tournament mentioned, The Throne, is all standard high schools, so CA schools can play. Although I bet the Throne's people had to ask the CIF real nice.

One thing I'm curious about regarding The Throne is this line on the webpage:

"Teams invited will only participate while adhering to the guidelines and rules set forth by their respective state associations." Um... What if one school plays in a shot-clock state and the other doesn't?
How did Montverde and IMG get to play in the Nike TOC with the California schools?
In fact Folsom and Mater Dei played IMG
I asked about this in December on this forum… have you ever seen the IMG training facility maybe cost $100M or more

How did Montverde and IMG get to play in the Nike TOC with the California schools?
In fact Folsom and Mater Dei played IMG
I asked about this in December on this forum… have you ever seen the IMG training facility maybe cost $100M or more
IMG Academy Facility Reel Pro & Team Training -- how about $197 million
https://www.politifact.com/article/2015/jun/19/img-academy-projects-big-economic-numbers-expansio/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_a6dWZ5Je0

Yes somehow IMG has partitioned
The academy benefits from the high school program… sounds shady as
I don’t know who is watching
Organizations programs… guess they have to self monitor

The Nike TOC issue was a complicated one, and originally CIF was not going to let teams play against IMG and Montverde. But the wording of the CIF clause was ambiguous, so CIF backed down at the last minute. The wording has since been changed, however, and there is no ambiguity.

It comes down to this: Unless a school participates in a state's postseason playoff, California schools cannot play them. IMG and Montverde do not, so California schools are barred from playing them.

cif is to blame.. they are protecting their own but their own dont want the protection... this happened because of football when img took some players from mater dei.
also the same happens for juco basketball and football. the whole country participates in a national tournament but california does not.

Actually, the national trend is heading in just the direction CIF has taken. There are two kinds of athletic programs: The traditional (for lack of a better word) and the prep school (focused on getting kids athletic scholarships). The traditional schools are working to create a system where they compete against each other rather than against schools that are educational in name only.

well... the poor public schools in california feel the privates are the same.. focused on athletic scholarships.
they want them gone to their own playoff brackets too.

I think maybe two states do that. Used to be more, but in the end, most privates aren't that different from most publics. And when public schools import elite players from Las Vegas, what's the difference, really?

I think maybe two states do that. Used to be more, but in the end, most privates aren't that different from most publics. And when public schools import elite players from Las Vegas, what's the difference, really?
new york, new jersey, texas i think do it.

and her granny stay in Rancho.. life was rough in vegas so change was needed.

well... the poor public schools in california feel the privates are the same.. focused on athletic scholarships.
they want them gone to their own playoff brackets too.
Interesting the CIF will protect the California Basketball factory schools but when
Programs like IMG and Montverde take
Take the idea national and international
And create super teams the CIF doesn’t want their schools to play in that sandbox

The Nike TOC issue was a complicated one, and originally CIF was not going to let teams play against IMG and Montverde. But the wording of the CIF clause was ambiguous, so CIF backed down at the last minute. The wording has since been changed, however, and there is no ambiguity.

It comes down to this: Unless a school participates in a state's postseason playoff, California schools cannot play them. IMG and Montverde do not, so California schools are barred from playing them.
IMG has a high school team and a prep team for girls and boys. I'm not sure about Monte Verde. But the teams at TOC playing against Mitty and Folsom were the high school teams. Prep schools have their own division at TOC.

Schools like IMG have both yes..but the HS team gets to take advantage of the $200M athlete performance improvement
Program the prep school had built… this is like The private school elite programs on steroids at some point where do you stop.. I guess next year the CIF is saying this is not fair

Schools like IMG have both yes..but the HS team gets to take advantage of the $200M athlete performance improvement
Program the prep school had built… this is like The private school elite programs on steroids at some point where do you stop.. I guess next year the CIF is saying this is not fair
to get great at basketball you dont need all the fancy... all u need is space and opportunity with a rock.

Reactions: kbrizzzle
IMG has a high school team and a prep team for girls and boys. I'm not sure about Monte Verde. But the teams at TOC playing against Mitty and Folsom were the high school teams. Prep schools have their own division at TOC.
Originally CIF was going to prevent California teams from playing against IMG and Montverde in the TOC, but backed down at the last minute due to the ambiguity of the rule. The rule is no longer ambiguous.

to get great at basketball you dont need all the fancy... all u need is space and opportunity with a rock.
Yes if you are great athlete with size, speed, power, force, acceleration and explosiveness you don’t need IMG …
Aka if you are in top 1% of athletes with great genetics… skip IMG

Yes if you are great athlete with size, speed, power, force, acceleration and explosiveness you don’t need IMG …
Aka if you are in top 1% of athletes with great genetics… skip IMG
nobody needs them. they can just go to u to be all those things!

Now I am old and fat… I spend my time
Creating designs for people who have MS or have had a stroke… or other autoimmune conditions… that is just as exciting

So at next years Nike TOC none of these
Schools will be able to play Mitty. Interesting thing will be which team coming out of the TOC will be the top ranked team as these “basketball schools”
Will have their own division

How about that baby faced frosh from
Montverde knocking down three after three … this is some high level play.. so much for that zone… she gets recruited from Dallas and goes to this “basketball school” in Florida has already got a free ride to Tennessee.. taking the Mitty factory concept and going National… some of them are International

Last edited:
So at next years Nike TOC none of these
Schools will be able to play Mitty. Interesting thing will be which team coming out of the TOC will be the top ranked team as these “basketball schools”
Will have their own division
What did I miss in regards to these teams not being able to Play Mitty next year?

CIF let CIF schools play these “basketball schools” at the last TOC, next year according to Clay they have ruled against that. So at the next TOC Mitty for example
Will not get a chance to play them. I am just assuming these “basketball schools” will form their own division at the TOC

CIF let CIF schools play these “basketball schools” at the last TOC, next year according to Clay they have ruled against that. So at the next TOC Mitty for example
Will not get a chance to play them. I am just assuming these “basketball schools” will form their own division at the TOC
IMG Academy has the high school team and the Prep school team. If they are not a prep school it shouldn't be a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT