ADVERTISEMENT

CIF considering Jan. 1 start; football and basketball at the same time

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
CIF is looking very hard at delaying the start of all high school sports until Jan. 1, and will be making an announcement in late July.

One plan, which may be the favorite, is to have the fall and winter sports' seasons run concurrently in the winter -- which would mean that athletes would have to choose between winter sports and fall sports. The biggest conflicts would be between football and both soccer and basketball for boys, and volleyball and basketball for girls.

There would also be a significant facilities' crunch, as schools would need to arrange practice and game times for up to nine programs (three levels of volleyball, three levels of boys' basketball, two levels of girls' basketball and wrestling). This of course would be especially difficult for schools with just one gym, and there are more than you think.

As for the fields, all levels of soccer and football would share the same turf, apparently.

Another option is to have fall sports run in January and February, winter sports in March and April and spring sports in May and June.

I don't know anything about the details, but it would seem unlikely that practices would be allowed over the Christmas break, so presumably practices would begin Jan. 1, with games to follow two weeks later.

That may be similar to what the state college system and the California Collegiate Athletic Association schools are considering. Basically, nothing until January. But it's still not entirely clear. Such a plan would seriously impact the football schools in the state system: Humboldt State, Sacramento State, San Diego State, Fresno State and San Jose State.

This is one of the better options I have seen especially given the current situation of bad and worse choices in terms of HS sports. There are issues with it but any plan will have some sort of issues to work through and/or deal with.

This is one of the better options I have seen especially given the current situation of bad and worse choices in terms of HS sports. There are issues with it but any plan will have some sort of issues to work through and/or deal with.
I always thought the best plan was to start Fall sports early and end earlier before viral spreading season started. That's why many universities have chosen to end school by the Thanksgiving break. It would seem that indoor sports during Winter would provide the best environment for spread but I get it most are pushing for more time over environment.

Reactions: pc2986 and bella123
There are multiple options on the table as far as fall sports as even epidemiologists are still flying in turbulence (see NW Arkansas in today’s news.)

Keep in mind, “opening up” without stringent protocols (seriously, athletes cannot perform wearing N95s!) and especially contact tracing (still in its infancy) will throw fall sports into catastrophic disarray as far as scheduling.

Reactions: concrete17
For example, Alameda County’s 6/5 order relegates small groupings to a “social bubble” of 12 people. This will allow child care. It also will facilitate contact tracers abilities. That’s why deLa (even though CCCo) started their summer workouts with a uniquely 11 players, 1 coach set of squads.

My kid plays both football and basketball. If both seasons run concurrently beginning in January he would have to choose. Sorry for the dual sport kids but that’s life. I’d rather see this than NO sports at all.

College coaches love players whose secondary sport was HS football, especially if they’re starters on V. To a tee I’ve heard them say, “Always tougher than their teammates who single sport specialized.” Opens doors for sure.

College coaches love players whose secondary sport was HS football, especially if they’re starters on V. To a tee I’ve heard them say, “Always tougher than their teammates who single sport specialized.” Opens doors for sure.[/QUOTE

Heard same on several recruiting trips.

What is the difference besides time if circumstances are still the same and no progress has been made on Vaccine? Trying to understand why Jan 1st changes anything??

What is the difference besides time if circumstances are still the same and no progress has been made on Vaccine? Trying to understand why Jan 1st changes anything??
It doesn’t change anything it’s ludicrous.

Essentially the state is modeling contact tracing. Just like the models showed EXACTLY what might happen (NYC) and how the curve is influenced by proactive measures (SF Bay Area.)

It will take time for the tracers to start isolating the pockets of transmission, but once that happens, the “social bubble” limitations will ease. But not disappear until x % vaccination rate (I’m not an epidemiologist,) and x rate of success of tracing.

Reactions: concrete17
Contact tracing is ludicrous....what next? Tracing where and when you go to a bar, visit your relatives, drive over a state line, go to a gun store? Definite slippery slope. Technology and vaccines (Gates $$) should not supersede autonomy and the Bill of Rights.

But go ahead and crush a few at the bar. No bubble required because everyone makes better decisions there
Hilarious. Don't forget the rioting and protesting in the thousands, all supported by government leaders who days before were throwing moms in jail for cutting hair. 80,000+ people died of the flu in the US in 2018. Did the US shut everything down and ruin people's lives? Fauci is a fake.

Hilarious. Don't forget the rioting and protesting in the thousands, all supported by government leaders who days before were throwing moms in jail for cutting hair. 80,000+ people died of the flu in the US in 2018. Did the US shut everything down and ruin people's lives? Fauci is a fake.

the only fake around here is you Sybil. I’m pretty sure it’s not possible for you to have your head any further up the mango Mussolini’s butt if you tried and the resulting anoxia is clearly affecting your mental state. Seek help you vapid ass. The problem with stupid ass people like you is that you never know when to shut your big pie hole until someone does it for you. Fauci’s a fake? I see you’re a graduate of tRump U with an uneducated statement such as that. COVID-19 has already killed 120,000 in 3 months with only a first wave, and more than likely double that by the end of the year...the second wave could end up being nothing less than biblical. Come on Dr. Fraud, give us the skinny on your PhD in Epidemiology. You and tRump have definitely cornered the market on looking like fools and imbeciles every time you open your traps. It’s better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. In your case, that time has long come and gone. Now, slither back under that rock...better yet, go to Tulsa and live it up at COVIDFEST-19 you ****ing asshole

Last edited:
the only fake around here is you Sybil. I’m pretty sure it’s not possible for you to have your head any further up the mango Mussolini’s butt if you tried and the resulting anoxia is clearly affecting your mental state. Seek help you vapid ass. The problem with stupid ass people like you is that you never know when to shut your big pie hole until someone does it for you. Fauci’s a fake? I see you’re a graduate of tRump U with an uneducated statement such as that. COVID-19 has already killed 120,000 in 3 months with only a first wave, and more than likely double that by the end of the year...the second wave could end up being nothing less than biblical. Come on Dr. Fraud, give us the skinny on your PhD in Epidemiology. You and tRump have definitely cornered the market on looking like fools and imbeciles every time you open your traps. It’s better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. In your case, that time has long come and gone. Now, slither back under that rock...better yet, go to Tulsa and live it up at COVIDFEST-19 you ****ing

asshole

TDS much? Good lord that rant was epic in highlighting the insanity of the left, thanks. In terms of Fauci? Yeah not real impressed. I guess you haven’t followed this experts timeline of quotes huh? Maybe you should it would help not looking like a fool defending him. I don’t give two shits what his degree is. Degree’s at this point are looking less and less valid or important. Colleges are pumping out brain dead drone’s repeating their indoctrination lines. We are living in a time when society collectively is probably at it dumbest, yet more people are going to college. That’s sad.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT