ADVERTISEMENT

CIF State Bowl (1-AA): Mission Viejo 24 Bellarmine 0 FINAL

Off top of my head Tokay, Edison, Vintage and I think Compton? Best player I ever saw, dude just dominated.
He was born in socal so maybe Compton first. Would you agree that his scenario and background is apples and oranges comparative to the MV kid and transferred out of family challenges and necessity, unlike the Schooler kids?

Well, its not going to get any better - I wouldn't be surprised if MV will score another 3-4 TD before the game is over
I'm even more impressed by the Mission Viejo coach and team in the 4th quarter. When MV could have done a lot more damage on offense, they migrated to a rush attack to grind minutes off the clock. BCP did a good job on defending the big pass pass, but even so, MV turned off the burner and coasted into the finish. Now that's class!!!.

Bells were over matched tonight. MV probably at least 4th best team in the state...

Hard to argue, DLS, CC, SJB better and maybe BA? At worst top 5. Their lines are very physical and their team speed is much better than they are given credit for (i.e. Most think a bunch of white boys from the OC can't run).

They are NOT built to win a state title because they don't have the capacity to adjust. IMO that's on the coach.
Well, you have to consider a few things first. Mission Viejo is just an exceptional team. I also think that the Folsom game took a lot out of Bells. The Bells beat Folsom, a State Champion team to arrive at this game, so obviously they're doing something well. Even if Bells didn't have to face Folsom before this, I still go with MV for this game. Bells have beaten teams with size, but that MV coach has his big boys playing like D1 teams play.

They are NOT built to win a state title because they don't have the capacity to adjust. IMO that's on the coach.
To elaborate, they can boat race teams that they out-man physically. When they face a team like this, the other team just puts eight in the box, blitz the A and B gaps, and disrupts their running game. How about throwing a pop pass or two to the hot receiver right over where a guy blitzed? You have to be able to adapt. They actually did a better job against Folsom but Folsom was a shadow of themselves from the past five years. Forget their record, they were down.

Reactions: RodneyPete45
Big mucho grassy ass especially to Streak One and NorCalSportsFan for posting play by play & game highlights for both games tonight (no slight intended for the supporting cast of contributors).
This is dedicated to your contributions (watch for larry legend 33's breakout dance moves)
Again thanks guys......

Reactions: FBAddict
He was born in socal so maybe Compton first. Would you agree that his scenario and background is apples and oranges comparative to the MV kid and transferred out of family challenges and necessity, unlike the Schooler kids?

Oh I know his story pretty well, I had a class with him in college (we weren't BFF's, by any means, but we did communicate once or twice).

Yeah a little different circumstances. I remember when Schoolers were at Tranbuco Hills, they were ballers. Whatever the reasons, if they're cleared to play none of my business. Would it be my choice with my kid? No. But to each their own, choices are good, this ain't Russia lol!

Well, you have to consider a few things first. Mission Viejo is just an exceptional team. I also think that the Folsom game took a lot out of Bells. The Bells beat Folsom, a State Champion team to arrive at this game, so obviously they're doing something well. Even if Bells didn't have to face Folsom before this, I still go with MV for this game. Bells have beaten teams with size, but that MV coach has his big boys playing like D1 teams play.
But that's where Bellarmine is playing! Question- How do you keep running up the middle 2nd and long down 24 points?

Agreed. Heck, it's just a weird release. Throws like a second baseman turning two at second.

Now, the guy plays for one of the top QB gurus in the country in Bob Johnson and this guy has that release ingrained. Do you think he can make that change? That's a big switch.
Probably not going to happen since he's the grandson of the head coach guru and his uncle(NFL qb Rob Johnson) and dad are assistants. Seems odd with that pedigree that his mechanic would be so poor.

You hear all the stories about Sponge Bob, but he seemed very humble and they did win the game with class.

I totatly agree. I have never liked the guy! But tonight even in his halftime interview he came off as pretty classy and humble. Just might put him on the X mas card list now.

Oh I know his story pretty well, I had a class with him in college (we weren't BFF's, by any means, but we did communicate once or twice).

Yeah a little different circumstances. I remember when Schoolers were at Tranbuco Hills, they were ballers. Whatever the reasons, if they're cleared to play none of my business. Would it be my choice with my kid? No. But to each their own, choices are good, this ain't Russia lol!
I'm fine with one transfer without moving but that's a serial case.

To elaborate, they can boat race teams that they out-man physically. When they face a team like this, the other team just puts eight in the box, blitz the A and B gaps, and disrupts their running game. How about throwing a pop pass or two to the hot receiver right over where a guy blitzed? You have to be able to adapt. They actually did a better job against Folsom but Folsom was a shadow of themselves from the past five years. Forget their record, they were down.
I do agree that the Bells offense hits a ceiling when they have to play top programs who stymy the Double Wing. I actually liked Janda's play calls on many occasions but those fast MV secondary players came up to defend so fast that Bells blockers didn't get out in time--I'm thinking specifically on screens or sweeps. I'd consider MV an A-caliber program and Bells a B-caliber. I think at the moment, So-Cal has more A-caliber programs than Northern CA, with DLS being the best A-caliber out of all, with SJB and Centennial being a degree below DLS. The North really excels at the B-level programs being just as bit as competitive with B-level programs from South, if not better.

I'm fine with one transfer without moving but that's a serial case.

I hear ya. We don't have to love it. But if that's what they and their family feel is the best option for them who are we to interfere?

Kudos to MV. Beating Bellarmine in just about any sport is a plus. The Bells are one of the oldest signature athletic programs in NorCal.

Guys is it just me or were those 2 brothers playing on a totally different level? I mean did you see the stuff they were doing? One of those brothers came from no where to bring down that int or else that was a pick 6. I know the school thing is bad but you can't discount the effort.

Honestly MV had to beat 2 better teams the last 2 weeks. Helix and Vista Muiretta. That was a solid team. Could have been 40-0 just as easy.

MV defense was solid last night. Didn't expect such a large margin of victory. Playing a run oriented team and with all the rushing yards they gave up to Helix last weekend I was expecting a tight game.

The Diablos rang the Bell's Bell.

I actually thought the sophomore (Griffin) might have been their best guy last night. By his senior year, he should be a dynamic two-way threat.

I actually thought the sophomore (Griffin) might have been their best guy last night. By his senior year, he should be a dynamic two-way threat.

He was impressive! Plus a Warren G's kid to boot.

Kid slipped from kicking it at Kings Park in the LBC to kicking it wit his new homies in the OC!

Reactions: MC415 and Old-e
On Bellarmine's coaching, I think it is a very good staff. Their philosophy it seems is to create a high floor for the program, but it in turns lowers their ceiling. This is opposite of Del Oro, which would rather have a high ceiling even if it means a 4-6 season every now and then.

Different philosophies, but both are good staffs.

Reactions: Hatchball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT