ADVERTISEMENT

Clark “cheap shot”?

The most glaring thing I notice about all these hard fouls and (in some cases) cheap shots that are being given to CC is how her teamates havent come to her defense. In the NBA someone on the court would have gone after the fouler and at least gotten into their face, push, shove etc...

I think some of this is par for the course with a hyped young player coming into a higher league. And the fact that she currently struggles with it will make it happen for longer IMO

Now the most recent one was just dirty and it was the right call to raise it to a flagarent. You can't have stuff like that in the game.

The lack of teammate support is interesting. Though none of us know what is said in the locker room and what the direction has been.

Besides Carter's technical foul all the rest is very normal and other players have even received worse treatment as rookies. Carters foul wasn't a basketball play so that wasn't good but all this other pampering is suspect.

Reactions: ClayK
Toughen up??? Cheap shot Caitlin so she is sidelined for the rest of the season and go back to enjoying your bus rides and. 2,000 attendance. Angel thinking she could draw even 5,000 is a joke. Hard foul during play is one thing but coming up behind and cheap shots should never be acceptable. I can’t believe how many people are talking WNBA because of CC. It reminds me of when Steph started. To me it is still not worth it to me to watch it.

Toughen up??? Cheap shot Caitlin so she is sidelined for the rest of the season and go back to enjoying your bus rides and. 2,000 attendance. Angel thinking she could draw even 5,000 is a joke. Hard foul during play is one thing but coming up behind and cheap shots should never be acceptable. I can’t believe how many people are talking WNBA because of CC. It reminds me of when Steph started. To me it is still not worth it to me to watch it.
chicago has played 3 homes games and the smallest annoucned crowd was 8277. Somebody is showing up.
the chartered flights were in the works before clark got there and the issue was the owners did not want to pay for them like owners do for other leagues.
hard fouls have been happening in basketball since it started. why can hockey fight but baskeball cant?
i do agree with your last statement... i havent watched a whole wnba in my life. i tried to watch the chicago vs new york game on sunday and 3 straight possessions of missed lay ups i had to give up.

The quality of play isn't as high as it could be, in part due to the slow drain of basketball players to other sports. It's going to get worse with expansion.

Reactions: ankleassassin
The quality of play isn't as high as it could be, in part due to the slow drain of basketball players to other sports. It's going to get worse with expansion.
yep.. 2 more teams will dilute the league for sure. wild how they operate in the red but still can make new teams... thank the nba

So here's the NBA's rationale: The last thing the league wants is domestic competition that could force a bidding war for players (think NFL vs. AFL). It may seem like ancient history, but if a women's league started, it could conceivably be used as a platform to build a competitor to the NBA, which would cost the owners hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions. So running a loss leader like the W is actually good business, as well as serving as virtue signaling for a league that, despite a few assistant coaches, is still somewhat misogynistic.

How does the league operate at a loss
When they pay Pennies and their games
Are on major networks unless you are
Saying the league/teams are paying to
Get their games on the networks

So the economics of the WNBA is not a quick reply, but basically the TV and ticket revenue are at best a break-even proposition for the vast majority of teams. Most pro sports, in fact, don't worry about annual income but rely on the increase of the value of franchises to generate a long-term profit. Up until this year, WNBA franchises had zero market value and most teams lost money. (I'm still unconvinced the expansion and recent franchise prices are real -- everyone has reason to lie and inflate value.)

Pay pennies? Tell me, would you take $75,000 for four months' work? And then be able to go overseas and double that?

Oh, and you get free housing, year-round medical care and transportation.

Curious for your thoughts, Clay. I know there has been an issue of the good (not star) college player not being able to stick becuase of the limited roster spots across the league. So is it better to open up avenues for those players or the overall level of play? Feel like I used to be for opening up more roster spots, but now lean toward higher level of play

So the economics of the WNBA is not a quick reply, but basically the TV and ticket revenue are at best a break-even proposition for the vast majority of teams. Most pro sports, in fact, don't worry about annual income but rely on the increase of the value of franchises to generate a long-term profit. Up until this year, WNBA franchises had zero market value and most teams lost money. (I'm still unconvinced the expansion and recent franchise prices are real -- everyone has reason to lie and inflate value.)

Pay pennies? Tell me, would you take $75,000 for four months' work? And then be able to go overseas and double that?

Oh, and you get free housing, year-round medical care and transportation.
$75,000 is pennies compared to NBA money

There are a couple really bad teams in the league, and no depth -- so where are all these WNBA-ready players?

Well, if there were any, they'd be starting in Washington or first off the bench in L.A.

The top European players come to the W, and do OK, but two MVPs in European leagues -- Laurie Fiebach and Kennedy Burke -- are ordinary at best in the WNBA.

And finally, the drafts are weak. This year was a good draft, with maybe five impact players. Maybe six. Next year there might be three.

To bang my drum again, the long slow shift to volleyball is really hurting women's basketball.

The closest comparison in my lifetime IMO?

When Magic and Larry came into the NBA together and brought the NBA into Primetime.

Same thing we are seeing with CC.

Just hope the cattiness of her fellow WNBA players doesn't kill the golden goose before the league can take advantage of it.

It's not the cattiness ... it's the fact they're significantly better and her team is terrible.

The players aren't stupid -- well, except for Chennedy Carter -- and they understand economics. But they're certainly not going to give her anything she doesn't earn.

Caitlyn is only famous because she disrespected the big mean Black girls from South Carolina her jr year. Some of us have BEEN watching NCAAW and WNBA. Don't show up late to the party with some nonense. She is the unfortunate person that is used to inject race into this entire thing because truth be told a lot of American hate us Black Americans. I've always been a fan of Caitlyn since she got to Iowa but I dont need the infusion of racial politics to love and respect girls hoops. Caitlyn gotta toughen up and handle it and adjust just like everyone else. No special treatment in high level sports. 💯

It's not the cattiness ... it's the fact they're significantly better and her team is terrible.

The players aren't stupid -- well, except for Chennedy Carter -- and they understand economics. But they're certainly not going to give her anything she doesn't earn.
Her team is terrible? Maybe the coaching is terrible but you have NaLyssa Smith, Aliyah Boston, Katie Lou Samuelson and Kelsy Mitchell along with Caitlyn? Terrible? Check all those girls pedigree from the College level at big time programs. The disrespect is real. 🤦🏿‍♂️

The W is a lot different. KLS has done nothing as a pro. Washed out of three or four teams. NaLyssa Smith can't guard a parked car. Kelsey Mitchell is a volume shooter who does nothing else.

The W is so much tougher than college. The gap is huge.

If you've ever sat courtside at a WNBA game you know how big, strong and skilled the players are. College stats are meaningless at that level.

The W is a lot different. KLS has done nothing as a pro. Washed out of three or four teams. NaLyssa Smith can't guard a parked car. Kelsey Mitchell is a volume shooter who does nothing else.

The W is so much tougher than college. The gap is huge.

If you've ever sat courtside at a WNBA game you know how big, strong and skilled the players are. College stats are meaningless at that level.
I need to experience it. Looking forward to the Valkyrie games. Makes sense just like high is different than college. But I do believe defense is enforced at the coaching level. If the coach doesn't care neither will the players. Then team goes as the coach goes. I've watch Smith commit to defense at Baylor so I know she can do it at this level.

Smith's weaknesses are magnified playing with Clark and Mitchell. In college, she was such a good athlete comparatively and surrounded by elite players at that level that she didn't need to be fundamentally sound. But when you get to the W, all weaknesses are ruthlessly exposed. (Just look at Haley Jones ...)

Reactions: GBBall4L
Smith's weaknesses are magnified playing with Clark and Mitchell. In college, she was such a good athlete comparatively and surrounded by elite players at that level that she didn't need to be fundamentally sound. But when you get to the W, all weaknesses are ruthlessly exposed. (Just look at Haley Jones ...)
whatever happened to haley jones?

Her team is terrible? Maybe the coaching is terrible but you have NaLyssa Smith, Aliyah Boston, Katie Lou Samuelson and Kelsy Mitchell along with Caitlyn? Terrible? Check all those girls pedigree from the College level at big time programs. The disrespect is real. 🤦🏿‍♂️
aliyah boston is so bad.. i also think coach is fired and iowa coach gets hired

Haley Jones still can't shoot -- but is starting for Atlanta at point guard while they wait for Jordin Canada to get healthy.

Aliyah Boston has regressed from last year, but playing year round is hard physically and mentally. She was good as a rookie, and presumably the talent is still there, so fatigue might be the issue.

And finally, just because NBA players make more money doesn't mean that $75,000 for five months work is "pennies."

aliyah boston is so bad.. i also think coach is fired and iowa coach gets hired
Based on your responses I would assume you are the LeBron Bean Jordan of your sport. I think Boston is forced to play different this season with th addition of Clark and that takes some adjusting

Based on your responses I would assume you are the LeBron Bean Jordan of your sport. I think Boston is forced to play different this season with th addition of Clark and that takes some adjusting
i do not know who lebron bean jordan is. i do know that boston is athletically challenged and being bigger than others in college worked. not so much now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT