ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches reporting results

berdooman

Sports Fanatic
Apr 20, 2005
Darren Sabedra of BANG made a plea on Twitter for coaches to report results to the paper and MaxPreps. I am reminded of former Aptos hoops coach Bill Warmerdam's 15-point plan for success which included good media relations. Warmerdam reported all results and pertinent stats win or lose from every game and had frosh and JV coaches do the same. He won 300-400 games in his illustrious career and a NorCal title. Also reminded of Yucaipa High (SoCal) baseball coach Jeff Stout who also faithfully reported results and famously said regarding the topic, "at Yucaipa, we don't hide our players." I'm sure Matt Davidson and Taijuan Walker appreciated that. Stout won like 800 games and 2-3 section titles. So for those not reporting, what's the argument ... is it really worth it to maybe conceal your leading scorer for a few games by not reporting, or do you not have the support at your school, don't think it's part of your job or ...?

Reactions: colhenrylives
Goven that print news has gone preety much the way of the dodo bird, I am sure coaches no longer prioritize this part of the job. There are too many keyboard warriors out there for them to worry about the reporting to media.

Not only that but if they forget little Timmy's contribution in a win then it could spell the end of their tenure as coach.

Just dont think it's a priority for coaches. They get the W or L and keep it moving to the next game. Plenty of other media (actual or social) will report anyway.

It should be a priority. Updating maxpreps takes less than 5 minutes and the fact that maxpreps is a primary information source for rankings and playoff seedings how is it not a priority? As for local papers, I think the smaller areas that focus on HS sports more really appreciate it when coaches call in with info.

It should be a priority. Updating maxpreps takes less than 5 minutes and the fact that maxpreps is a primary information source for rankings and playoff seedings how is it not a priority? As for local papers, I think the smaller areas that focus on HS sports more really appreciate it when coaches call in with info.

That's a small percentage of schools that really care about ranking and playoff seedings. For every highly competitive basketball program, there are 10 that are unlikely to make the playoffs or would be happy just to qualify. It's not a priority for ALL schools.

plenty of people on here know everything about basketball since they became warriors fans 4 years ago.. maybe yall can help with stats

Should it be a priority? I want to say no, but I know how easy it is so I dont know why some programs just dont do it. I'm mainly talking about reporting to maxpreps. I can understand if there is some kind of hardship, but if you have at least one assistant you can get it done. That's one of the reasons you have assistants, to delegate the smaller tasks to.

plenty of people on here know everything about basketball since they became warriors fans 4 years ago.. maybe yall can help with stats
Hey! Wait a minute! I still have my Vonteego Cummings jersey! Lol!

Nah, but I did have to put up with such Warrior greats like Jason Caffey, Bobby Sura, Victor Alexander Joe Barry Carrol, Todd Fuller, and Andries Biedrins.

I would think it should be a priority to get results to MaxPreps... As a matter of fact, it should be a requirement. Stats, not so much.

Only prob with requiring it is: How do you enforce it? My idea is that CIF should require the winner to report the final game result (not stats, those are time-consuming and should be optional only) within a certain time period... Make it something like a week, give them plenty of time to do it. If you don't report within the time period, it's a forfeit. My guess is non-reported scores would be a thing of the past in a hurry.

However, MaxPreps would need to play a part by making it easier and much more fool-proof to input schedules, scores, etc. I have reported scores myself, and find it amazingly easy to make a mistake like reverse the score... And it's not like I'm an internet beginner.

Reactions: damim
is there a relationship between state HS federations and MaxPreps? I would think all scores are reported to the the teams respective leagues or else there wouldn't be league standings. Maybe the league should or CIF should be reporting to MaxPreps.

is there a relationship between state HS federations and MaxPreps? I would think all scores are reported to the the teams respective leagues or else there wouldn't be league standings. Maybe the league should or CIF should be reporting to MaxPreps.
I believe this is how it is: Maxpreps is the official reporting site for all high school scores if I'm not mistaken. Prior to the end of the season CIF requires all schools to report and confirm scores on maxpreps before playoff seeding meetings occur.

Here's direct from the NCS basketball page on their website. I assume it varies from section to section somewhat-

MONDAY, JANUARY 28, 2019 DEADLINE for the following items:  MAXPREPS roster, schedule and scores (www.maxpreps.com) STEPS TO SUBMIT MAXPREPS TEAM ROSTER/SCHEDULE/SCORES:  Go to www.maxpreps.com/AD to register; or www.maxpreps.com and sign in with email and password  Move your mouse over ‘Hi, Your Name’ in the upper right‐hand corner to access your account  Submit your team roster, schedule and update scores throughout the duration of your season

Yeah, I know about those deadlines, but the daily-game scores should have an extra requirement like what I said above. Reports of game scores should be in within a week... No excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT