ADVERTISEMENT

DIV 2,3,4 Seedings

HSWIZARD73

Sports Fanatic
May 17, 2017
I was speaking with a coach the other day and he basically said based on the seeds in some of the divisions you don’t really know how good a team is or maybe. Basically it throws things off some. And based on last nights results it looks like 2,3, and 4 are all over.

DIV 2:
North has a 9 versus 5 and 6 versus 2 South has a 1 versus 12 and 14 versus 7

My crystal ball shows that all the teams in the south are 1st place teams in the respective leagues. But get this. Not all the teams they played to get there were.

The 12 seed beat the 5th seed who were 5th in their league. The 7 beat the 2 who were 3rd in their league.

The North although the seeds advanced are somewhat high the matchups were fairly equal.

DIV 3:

What’s crazy here is we have 8 versus 4 and 3 versus 7.

The 3 is Alemany who was second to last place in the powerful Mission League. They were 22-15 overall and 1-6 in league and they are the highest seed left. That would be nuts if they win state. I wonder what the worst overall and league record for state champions. I would think this has to be pretty close. 15 losses and most likely win state. And they will face a 26-9 or a 26-7 team.

Now I don’t recall many games these days but obviously I can pull one up really quick. But Riordans only state title, they were 30-3 and Centennial was 31-1. Of course that was based on the teams placed in divisions due to enrollment.

Before they strictly went to enrollment and we only had D1 thru D5 teams could play up hence why Jason Kidd won D1 titles. I believe the 1990 Riordan team bumped as well when they played Mater Dei.

DIV 4:

Now this one is a doozy.

North has a 8 versus 4 and a 14 versus 2
South has a 1 versus 13 and a 2 versus 14

Palo Alto is the 8th and they beat the 1 Santa Teresa easily. But what is odd is the ST played Kerman the 16 seed who was dead last in their league. Yet nobody else from their league made the tournament. Did that league commissioner ask who would like to play.

Now although they lost, Christopher was a 10 seed and 3rd in their league. Yet someway somehow Santa Teresa 2nd in their league is the 1 seed and Brandan 1st in their league is the 1 seed in D2. WTF. Is the commissioner of the Mt Hamilton League the one who makes the final decision. This is stupid.

As for the South 1st seed 18-14 3rd in league versus the 13th seed 17-15 and 2nd in league.

And the 2nd seed 19-10 2nd in league versus the 14th seed 14-18 3rd in league.

In closing do they have a bunch of ping pong balls like the nba draft and this is how some of this is decided. Out of 24 teams within the three divisions 11 are 5th or worse and 5 of those 11 are 12th or worse. Will be interesting to see what seeds are in the North and South Finals.

Reactions: M.C. fan
14-18 Mission prep with a 100-48 loss to Weston Ranch among others is still playing .Weston Ranch finished 26-4 , Beat #1 team in section Modesto christian and lose only 1 time in 2024 to a very good Inderkum and they go home.
Bellarmine 12-17 losses 11 of last 15 is in CCS open and gets rewarded with a 5 seed in D2. If you play in any open you should not get to drop down that far.
The current system and especially the SJS is a joke

What about Branham as the #1 seed in D2. Could be the worse placed seeding of all time. Never heard of the school. Not sure its ever been mentioned on here. And what about Bellarmine being below .500 but still moving on. WCAL is such a good league year in and out. I mean Serra was just sort of solid this year and almost beats CW at CW. Same thing with SI. Nearly knocked off a very good Granada team.
Only team left in Sac area is Del Oro who didn't even win SFL.

Reactions: ayalar09
What about Branham as the #1 seed in D2. Could be the worse placed seeding of all time. Never heard of the school. Not sure its ever been mentioned on here. And what about Bellarmine being below .500 but still moving on. WCAL is such a good league year in and out. I mean Serra was just sort of solid this year and almost beats CW at CW. Same thing with SI. Nearly knocked off a very good Granada team.

If I am not mistaken Bellarmine during the enrollment days would be D1. I don’t think they would be a game away from a nor cal title game in D1. And then Banham is not only crazy but Santa Teresa in their league is a number 1 seed as well. And Christopher a 10 seed third place in that league.

lets just not have a playoff at all. season over for everyone other than 6 open teams.
I think honestly being I was told this system truly was for the South, that enrollment should kick back in and teams play up if they opt to unless they have proven to be an open team or D1 caliber team.

I mean hell Branham is 141 and Santa Teresa 173 in the state per maxpreps and i would question that. And they are number 1 seeds, WOW.

I think honestly being I was told this system truly was for the South, that enrollment should kick back in and teams play up if they opt to unless they have proven to be an open team or D1 caliber team.

I mean hell Branham is 141 and Santa Teresa 173 in the state per maxpreps and i would question that. And they are number 1 seeds, WOW.
Is it just NCS or are all teams going back to enrollment based. Cardinal Newman for example will become a great D4 Next year (which is where they always played) vs an average D2 where they've played like the last 7 years.

My Natomas Nighthawks are still standing! In fairness, the seedlings are a joke. We lost a very close game to a really talented Venture in the Section final and ended up with a 2 seed in D4, while Venture got rewarded with a 12 seed in D3. Home games matter at this stage for sure.

Off topic but i wish they held the NorCal championships at large neutral venue - like Haas Pavillion, St Mary's, SCU or even Golden-1. Even this Saturday there are multiple games I'd like to see but since my flux capacitor isn't currently working, I'll have to settle for only seeing Riordan vs Clovis North.

Off topic but i wish they held the NorCal championships at large neutral venue - like Haas Pavillion, St Mary's, SCU or even Golden-1. Even this Saturday there are multiple games I'd like to see but since my flux capacitor isn't currently working, I'll have to settle for only seeing Riordan vs Clovis North.
ticket sales.

i agree with the college sites but they need to get rid of Golden 1 especially sjs championships. The D1 final Modesto christian vs lincoln was empty arena. Those 2 playing at UOP probably a sellout and an awesome environment for a game. Sheldon vs. MC and Sheldon vs Woodcreek were standing room only. Even Norcal ship At Santa clara was a packed house .

They need to not call them open, D1 , D2,D3 etc for norcal because it confuses a lot of people. What it really is is a ranked system so they should call it Platinum, Gold, Silver , bronze and copper divisions. Divisions should be purely enrollment based where they have it it’s seeded based .

Reactions: CoachRhino23
i agree with the college sites but they need to get rid of Golden 1 especially sjs championships. The D1 final Modesto christian vs lincoln was empty arena. Those 2 playing at UOP probably a sellout and an awesome environment for a game. Sheldon vs. MC and Sheldon vs Woodcreek were standing room only. Even Norcal ship At Santa clara was a packed house .
nothing better than being a high schooler and playing in the nba arena. i will never forget it

Reactions: ESPN Ken
Hey, Ankle... I remember you having said you played for Crenshaw...

This just reminded me of an incident one year back in the 80's when they came up and played O'Dowd. They pressed fullcourt from the start and subbed fairly frequently to keep their players fresh. As they subbed out, the players would do big, hard hi-5's, slapping loudly. One time, though, the hi-5 was TOO hard and a guy busted a finger and couldn't play anymore.

Was that you? :)

Hey, Ankle... I remember you having said you played for Crenshaw...

This just reminded me of an incident one year back in the 80's when they came up and played O'Dowd. They pressed fullcourt from the start and subbed fairly frequently to keep their players fresh. As they subbed out, the players would do big, hard hi-5's, slapping loudly. One time, though, the hi-5 was TOO hard and a guy busted a finger and couldn't play anymore.

Was that you? :)
i am a 90s kid

Reactions: MC415
Yeah would be nice to see more games in a given day. But it all comes down to money. And let’s say they were all in Golden 1 would streaming cut attendance.

I don't know what is the best option on college arena vs. Golden One and it is hard when you don't know the matchups. And I do think it is a cool experience to play in an NBA arena.

All that to say, some of the best enviroments for high school games were the state finals at Haas (Rabb's senior year) and the NCS finals at St. Mary's (forget the year but I remember a Campo-O'Dowd girls game and a San Marin-El Cerrito boys game that had packed and energetic crowds)

I don't know what is the best option on college arena vs. Golden One and it is hard when you don't know the matchups. And I do think it is a cool experience to play in an NBA arena.

All that to say, some of the best enviroments for high school games were the state finals at Haas (Rabb's senior year) and the NCS finals at St. Mary's (forget the year but I remember a Campo-O'Dowd girls game and a San Marin-El Cerrito boys game that had packed and energetic crowds)
Hass was the best. They even let you bring in food. And they had in and out privileges to boot.

Here's wishing you great hoops.

Hass was the best. They even let you bring in food. And they had in and out privileges to boot.

Here's wishing you great hoops.
Yeah it was great. Few things helped like that O'Dowd team with Rabb/Austin, a local SRV boys team aginast Lonzo Ball and Chino Hills, a local Campolindo team and probably the best girls Open Division matchup we have had.

Speaking of the state finals at Haas Pavilion - the girls open game that year was St Mary's (Stockton) vs Mater Dei. i still rank watching that game as one the best high school basketball games I have ever seen with St Mary's prevailing. Later that night we saw Ivan Rabb and Paris Austin lead BOD over Mater Dei in OT to win state. Mater Dei was led by Rex Pflueger (who had a nice career at Notre Dame) and Kenny Smith's son KJ. I am guessing this is the only time that NorCal swept SoCal in the Open era.

I remember Sierra Canyon winning D5 that year with Cody Riley beating down University in the finals as well as Mitty who had a great team back then lost in OT in the D2 finals. Finally the SRV vs Chino Hills game was a classic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT