ADVERTISEMENT

Competitive equity: Does it make sense for football?

Round up the usual suspects!

Seriously, recruiting is BANNED much the same way that providing improper benefits to college recruits is BANNED. And yet the NCAA is chock full of examples of this happening. If you believe that there's no recruiting in high school, then you should also expect a fat man in a red suit to be coming down your chimney in December...

We see numerous colleges get caught for improper benefits, yet we dont have DLS or WCAL Football teams who are often accused by innuendo here being caught at all. It's easy to accuse, especially with assumptions, and the popular "my friend's cousin's dad bragged about it," but nobody seems to be able to come up with any proof.

We see numerous colleges get caught for improper benefits, yet we dont have DLS or WCAL Football teams who are often accused by innuendo here being caught at all. It's easy to accuse, especially with assumptions, and the popular "my friend's cousin's dad bragged about it," but nobody seems to be able to come up with any proof.

I doubt you ever will. The "bluebloods" rarely get caught. There's a great Jerry Tarkanian quote that goes "The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they gave Cleveland State two more years of probation."

Reactions: observer22
Proof?

Round up the usual suspects!

Seriously, recruiting is BANNED much the same way that providing improper benefits to college recruits is BANNED. And yet the NCAA is chock full of examples of this happening. If you believe that there's no recruiting in high school, then you should also expect a fat man in a red suit to be coming down your chimney in December...

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271

Prove what, exactly? That I believe schools recruit? I do, it's my belief. I haven't accused any single school of recruiting, and I have no "proof" that they have. I also have no proof that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy exist, either. I have my beliefs about each of them, too. I DO have "proof" that colleges have provided improper benefits to college recruits in the forms of Reggie Bush/USC, Albert Means/Alabama and Eric Dickerson/SMU, even though each of those were cases of schools providing benefits that were BANNED. I don't believe that they are the only college recruits who have been provided with improper benefits, but I can't "prove" that others have gotten those benefits.

I crack up at that, like the coaches are going to youth football games to recruit. The programs success is feeding itself. Players want to play for a program like that. Success breeds success.

Not only does this happen it happens more than you think. Along with using "passing leagues" gyms etc to contact players. I would take this opportunity normally to point out certain coaches that have been suspended for such actions however that would be viewed as negative even though it's common knowledge.

Not only does this happen it happens more than you think. Along with using "passing leagues" gyms etc to contact players. I would take this opportunity normally to point out certain coaches that have been suspended for such actions however that would be viewed as negative even though it's common knowledge.

I guess I'm out of the loop, especially if it is common knowledge. Can you please provide a list of those "certain coaches that have been suspended for such action?"

ostrich-buries-head-in-sand.jpg

Reactions: ClayK
I'm much more familiar with basketball (I do the national rankings for MaxPreps), and the pattern nationwide is to keep public and privates together. Most states that have split them at one point or another have put them back together -- usually due to pressure from public schools. (The reason is that the one year out of four or however many that a public school has what it considers to be a better team than the privates, even if it wins a state public school title, it's considered not as good as the private school champ. Even if it's actually better.)

I like the California system, and I think the nation will move in this direction, but football is very difficult because of the impact of enrollment and depth. As Ryan Reynolds said in the article, I think the committee has to dig deeper and really understand the programs that it's moving up in classification. Depth and size of the players are crucial aspects in football, and not so much in other sports so I think they really need to account for that.

I'd also like to see more transparency from the committee. Why not open meetings when they discuss the seedings? Why make the process a black box? If you're not willing to say something in public, then I'm not sure it's a legitimate reason to justify a decision.

I will pipe in on this thread. I come from a Basketball perspective, but this equates to other sports.

Lets take New York which I am familiar with, being from the deep hills and hollows of Brooklyn.

I remember when N.Y. split up privates and publics. It started in the sixties when the privates were trying to build up there profile.

This entered a period of raiding public schools. They would literally send contractors into public school gyms, and offer contracts right then and there.

You get the idea, mostly inner city areas. ( by the way, choice is valid). Just making the point of this missive. And how this became a huge imbalance. There were publics who could compete but the die was cast, and a huge imbalance ensued.

Thus there are two championships. Public and Private. They do have a final championship pitting both at the end of the season.

Here’s wishing you great sports

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT